Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Car thread

Post by Willie Kool »

Pavel Bure wrote:I've always wondered, can you talk dealers down from the price on a new car or is that just movie smoke and mirrors.
You paying in cash? Or diamonds?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Thanks again, WK!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Willie Kool wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:Thanks for the info! I do a ton of highway driving so that's good to know. Will the 3.21s handle 33 inch tires? I don't know if I'll go with 33s eventually but I'd like the option. I love the more aggressive look of bigger tires and a slight lift (nothing too crazy, of course).
Same deal with the 33's as far as mileage being negatively affected (even more so than the 3.73's), not to mention the reduction you'll likely see in handling - but yeah, 3.21's should turn the 33's just fine.
yup again. the 3.21 is fine with the 33's. the only thing youll need to watch for with that height is any kind of heavy duty off-roading on that with no lift will result in some rubbing when the stock suspension flexes. I went with the teraflex leveling kit (i bought barely used online for 75$) for some additional clearance.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

So my Acura wants to me to change it's oil. It keeps wanting to call my dealership to schedule an oil change. Since I'm a red-blooded Amurican, I change my own oil. My question is, will the car sense I changed my oil and reset the warning light about the oil change? It senses when I fill the gas tank up and automatically resets the Trip A odometer.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

probably not, resetting it is usually included in your manual.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by MelicharSux »

meow wrote:So my Acura wants to me to change it's oil. It keeps wanting to call my dealership to schedule an oil change. Since I'm a red-blooded Amurican, I change my own oil. My question is, will the car sense I changed my oil and reset the warning light about the oil change? It senses when I fill the gas tank up and automatically resets the Trip A odometer.
You have to manually reset it. Google it.

:scared:
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

We have a 2011 HHR and two small kids. We are planning on a third and final kid scheduled to come around mid 2014. Things are already kind of cramped in our HHR with two kids and we would like a minivan by the time the next kid comes around. The price range we were looking at for everything we want will come about $400-500 a month. That is fine, but would push our budget some in 2014 and that payment would be fine in 2015. Here are our options then:

1. Keep HHR until 2015 and deal with two car seats and a booster seat in the backseat. We might lose some storage and it will looked cramped, but the oldest kid will be 4 in October this year and the kids don't really care about backseat space.

2. Buy a relatively cheap 5-7 year old van, moderate-to-high mileage by next year to give us the space and everything and a lower car payment and then in 2015 get a low mileage 2012 newer used van or a brand new van to keep for awhile at the payment we can afford then.

3. Get the 2012-2013 slightly used $400-500 a month van this fall and work with a really tight budget for about 12 months.

Option 1 seems like the smartest one and Option 3 is not so smart. But what about Option 2 to buy something cheap now to get what we desire, not intending to keep it more than 2-3 years, and then trading up for what we really want? Any thoughts?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

MelicharSux wrote:
meow wrote:So my Acura wants to me to change it's oil. It keeps wanting to call my dealership to schedule an oil change. Since I'm a red-blooded Amurican, I change my own oil. My question is, will the car sense I changed my oil and reset the warning light about the oil change? It senses when I fill the gas tank up and automatically resets the Trip A odometer.

Reset it manually?? What am I, some sort of a peasant?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

pens9192 wrote:We have a 2011 HHR and two small kids. We are planning on a third and final kid scheduled to come around mid 2014. Things are already kind of cramped in our HHR with two kids and we would like a minivan by the time the next kid comes around. The price range we were looking at for everything we want will come about $400-500 a month. That is fine, but would push our budget some in 2014 and that payment would be fine in 2015. Here are our options then:

1. Keep HHR until 2015 and deal with two car seats and a booster seat in the backseat. We might lose some storage and it will looked cramped, but the oldest kid will be 4 in October this year and the kids don't really care about backseat space.

2. Buy a relatively cheap 5-7 year old van, moderate-to-high mileage by next year to give us the space and everything and a lower car payment and then in 2015 get a low mileage 2012 newer used van or a brand new van to keep for awhile at the payment we can afford then.

3. Get the 2012-2013 slightly used $400-500 a month van this fall and work with a really tight budget for about 12 months.

Option 1 seems like the smartest one and Option 3 is not so smart. But what about Option 2 to buy something cheap now to get what we desire, not intending to keep it more than 2-3 years, and then trading up for what we really want? Any thoughts?
I'd go with Door # 2
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Schwing.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

What kind of term are you looking at for a 400 a month payment? I financed $17k at 2.49 percent for 5 years at $301 a month. I'd think you can get a decent minivan for that much?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

meow wrote:
MelicharSux wrote:

Reset it manually?? What am I, some sort of a peasant?
:lol:
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

MRandall25 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Schwing.
That's the sound of a car orgasm.

One a side note, I had to order part 9 on this diagram because someone ripped it off my car

$27 after shipping and now I have to get it painted when it comes in the mail - probably another $35 unless I buy the paint and clearcoat myself for a 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch cosmetic part.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

People would always pop my VW emblem out of my front grill of my jetta. Solution? Buy a badgeless grille.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

mac5155 wrote:People would always pop my VW emblem out of my front grill of my jetta. Solution? Buy a badgeless grille.
Better solution, hook your battery up to the emblem...
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

mac5155 wrote:People would always pop my VW emblem out of my front grill of my jetta. Solution? Buy a badgeless grille.
some lowlife stole the bolt cover off one of my back wheels.

$70 from the dealer. There's an cheaper option on eBay but it doesn't include the rubber part that sets in the center of the wheel.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

$70 from the dealer.
There's why yours was stolen...
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Ouch. My new TDI just has the plastic caps on the lugs, not that whole big star looking thing.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

OutofFoil wrote:

$70 from the dealer.
There's why yours was stolen...
:lol:

fair enough
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

pens9192 wrote:We have a 2011 HHR and two small kids. We are planning on a third and final kid scheduled to come around mid 2014. Things are already kind of cramped in our HHR with two kids and we would like a minivan by the time the next kid comes around. The price range we were looking at for everything we want will come about $400-500 a month. That is fine, but would push our budget some in 2014 and that payment would be fine in 2015. Here are our options then:

I'm thinking 1.

#2 gets a strike against because higher mileage and the maintenance plan from the previous owner (in most situations) is an unknown. Although it might be a non-issue in some cases, what happens if something major goes out? I wouldn't recommend #3 because of the tight budget.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Just Zaino Z9 and Z10ed my interior leather after being recc'd. Suppose to help soften the leather and bring out a leather smell.....I'm kinda excited

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mer ... Code=Zaino" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mer ... Code=Zaino" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Bought this 2 weeks and 2 days ago. :D
Spoiler:

mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Awesome! Couldn't find an orange one?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I was in traffic on the 405 a couple weeks ago and a Lamborghini Aventador pulled up behind me. First one I've seen in person. Guy spotted a gap and zipped out into the next lane, fishtailiing along, leaving tire marks for 30 feet, screaming revs. Sounded like a mean fighter jet. I pooped a little. It was awesome.

Not a Lambo guy at all, but the Aventador is fer realz. It's the frickin' Batmobile.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Mac - Nope, no luck at all finding one in Crush orange. Black was my second choice though so it's all good. :)