How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by DelPen »

Anyone see a Yota Phone 2 in person?

http://www.engadget.com/products/yota/yotaphone/2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting concept, power saving mode using just the e-ink display is great. T-Mobile is said to be getting it which means wifi calling out of the box and hopefully band 12 along of 2 and 4.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

When I sleep I use a white noise app on my nightstand. When I hit the hay last night, the audio from the white noise app stopped. It showed it was still playing, but there was no sound coming out of the phone. This morning I checked a variety of other apps (SiriusXM, YouTube, etc) and found the same problem. The sound was dead. Restarted the phone like four or five times, and then I'd retry each app and whichever was the first app I tried after the re-start would give me about 2 seconds of sound then it would go quiet. Figured I try Chromecasting to my TV to see if that would work, and when I hit the little icon the window popped up saying "Jabara something something".

Turns out, I left my Bluetooth earbud on over night and the audio was being sent there. :face:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Fire Phone back down to $199 including the year of prime. Notnsurw how long it will last this time but it is not a daily deal.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

DelPen wrote:Fire Phone back down to $199 including the year of prime. Notnsurw how long it will last this time but it is not a daily deal.
did you buy one? id like to replace my phone, but if I'm leaving Android I'd like to try Windows Phone like this one around that price " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I bought one, it's a nice peice of hardware using all the domestic LTE bands (expect T-Mobiles new Band 12), has 32GB on board memeory (but no SD card) and it took all of 5 minutes to add the Google sevrices to get the store on and use the google experience launcher. A couple device specific weirdnesses, like swipe up from the bottom to go back and not being able to change the background color aside, it's tough to beat for $100 if you are already a prime user and take the $99 out of the price. The headphones are also very nice, better sounding than Apple's.

That blu phone is nice but 8GB gets old really quick. Unless you can run apps from the SD card you won't be happy with that storage. It also does not have LTE, another downside to me. And Windows phone as an OS now is kind of dead, they will be converging all their os's together soon so I'm not sure how much longer they will be updating.

If the Moto G 2nd Gen got LTE and 16GB that might be the best phone for the price.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Any LG G3 owners are to share their thoughts?

I've been HTC all the way, but the G3 is $100 off and my 3 year old phone's charging port is on it's last legs.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone use Sprint? Are they terrible?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I'm picking up a Samsung Note 4. I want to get a 64GB micro sd card, but am having a tough time finding the difference between the EVO and PRO. Obviously the write speeds are the big difference, but does that really matter for a phone? I plan on using this for pictures and movies quite a bit, but I'm not exactly sure if that means the PRO is the better deal because of write speeds or if the EVO will work just fine? Can anyone help me out?

EVO http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU7AO/ref ... 4CUQ&psc=1

PRO http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU88U/ref ... XW6F&psc=1
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My S5 jusy updated and now a home button push longer than like .5 seconds brings up Google now. I cannot for the life of me find where to disable it. Any help
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Android's "OK google" is 1000x better than Siri because the Android device doesn't need to be plugged in for you to trigger it.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

ok, any press over a nanosecond on my S5 home button now launches Google Now. This is infuriating. I cannot disable it either. I have disabled almost all my background apps cause I thought maybe it was processor lag, but nothing. This has to be an Android 4.4.4 problem, because I think that's what I just updated to.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Do you want to disable Google Now altogether, or just stop the home button from launching it? If it's the former, it's in the Google settings app, under Search & Now. If it's the latter...... good luck?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

mac5155 wrote:ok, any press over a nanosecond on my S5 home button now launches Google Now. This is infuriating. I cannot disable it either. I have disabled almost all my background apps cause I thought maybe it was processor lag, but nothing. This has to be an Android 4.4.4 problem, because I think that's what I just updated to.

its a samsung problem. go on the xda forums to find a solution. i could fix you in 5 minutes rooting but if you aren't going to do that your going to have to find a soution on xda
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Found on reddit where guys said a reboot fixed it. I rebooted and so far so good...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

eddysnake wrote:I'm picking up a Samsung Note 4. I want to get a 64GB micro sd card, but am having a tough time finding the difference between the EVO and PRO. Obviously the write speeds are the big difference, but does that really matter for a phone? I plan on using this for pictures and movies quite a bit, but I'm not exactly sure if that means the PRO is the better deal because of write speeds or if the EVO will work just fine? Can anyone help me out?

EVO http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU7AO/ref ... 4CUQ&psc=1

PRO http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU88U/ref ... XW6F&psc=1
I use the Sandisk Ultra with no issues on a Note 10.1, Note 3 and Note 4 and there is no problem. They do the 48 mb/sec like the EVO, it should be fine.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

knives of ice wrote:
mac5155 wrote:ok, any press over a nanosecond on my S5 home button now launches Google Now. This is infuriating. I cannot disable it either. I have disabled almost all my background apps cause I thought maybe it was processor lag, but nothing. This has to be an Android 4.4.4 problem, because I think that's what I just updated to.

its a samsung problem. go on the xda forums to find a solution. i could fix you in 5 minutes rooting but if you aren't going to do that your going to have to find a soution on xda
It's back. How is it a Samsung problem if it just started happening with the update to 4.4.4? Also I can't find anything anywhere on xda forums about it.

Whats up with FB messenger too? It used 35% of my battery yesterday, and I didn't even have it open! Tracking my keystrokes and GPS location or something? Anyway, it's been uninstalled.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Looks like the age of Flagships with SD card and removable batteries is coming to an end. New S6 will have neither.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Nice. I just noticed that my Note 3 Home Button now goes to *gasp* Home instead of the Flipboard App that NOBODY WANTS. Thanks, LGP. :D
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

DelPen wrote:Looks like the age of Flagships with SD card and removable batteries is coming to an end. New S6 will have neither.
Lame. The s5 having a removable battery is why I bought it over the M8
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

mac5155 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Looks like the age of Flagships with SD card and removable batteries is coming to an end. New S6 will have neither.
As much as the S5 was really just a S4s everything they advertised about it over say an iPhone was removed. So exandible storage. No swappable batteries. No longer waterproof.

Now if they had a google play version with none of the Samsung bloat or Touchwiz then maybe I would consider getting it because it does look very nice. But I'm sure it will cost a lot and the price still refelcts all that added garbage they would be removing.

Pretty sure I'm going back to an iPhone.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I haven't read anything about the S6 yet, but from the sounds of it, I will be disappointed. I don't like how my S3 handles Android 4.2, as far as battery life goes. Even with new batteries, it's rare that it isn't dead by the end of the day. Off the charger, walk across the house, and I'm usually at 98%. My wife's iPhone 5C comes home from work, off the charger all day, at 70% some days. It's ridiculous.

I don't think I could go to an iPhone though. It's not that bad for me yet. :lol:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

my note 4 battery can make it through 2 days pretty easy
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I haven't read anything about the S6 yet, but from the sounds of it, I will be disappointed. I don't like how my S3 handles Android 4.2, as far as battery life goes. Even with new batteries, it's rare that it isn't dead by the end of the day. Off the charger, walk across the house, and I'm usually at 98%. My wife's iPhone 5C comes home from work, off the charger all day, at 70% some days. It's ridiculous.

I don't think I could go to an iPhone though. It's not that bad for me yet. :lol:
The difference between my S3 and my Kindle Fire 6 is startling. I have no idea what my next phone will be, but I'm definitely looking forward to better battery life.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I have no idea how people get more than 1 day out of a phone battery. Must never be using it. I can't 12 hours on mine.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

mac5155 wrote:
Agreed. That's also why I bought an S5 over other options. Looks like I'll be keeping it for a long time.... which is no problem, because when the battery's life starts to get noticeably shorter, I can replace it.