Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Hossa to DET

Post by wallflower »

Ron` wrote:HOSSA goes to Detroit, Stanley Cup goes to Pens. Fair deal in the end. Maybe the best contract never signed in Pens history.
No kidding. :thumb:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

This thread should, fittingly, stop at page 87.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

lol.... Hossa...
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Shouldn't this thread be in NHR?

After all, I don't know what Hossa was doing these playoffs, but it certainly wasn't playing hockey.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I just spent the last two hours scanning this thread. It should remain open until hossa signs with another team and then be locked. It would only be fitting.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I just spent the last two hours scanning this thread. It should remain open until hossa signs with another team and then be locked. It would only be fitting.
It still blows my mind how many people said he was being greedy. I still don't understand how turning down a ton of money to win a championship is greedy. And if you showed me on paper, at the beginning of the season what the lineups were, I'd say Detroit had the better shot too.

Now, the only thing I ever held against him is that he said it in the media. If he would have just said that he wanted to go to a more "veteren" team or something, or just said he wanted to go to Detroit, then I wouldn't care. I still really don't care. But he took a chance, and I actually applaud him for skipping over the money to win a championship.

I am happy he crapped the bed though in the Finals and the Pens won, but I don't hate him nearly as much as many others do.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I never thought that he was greedy. I just thought he was a ******* for leading the Pens to believe that he was going to sign with them, and then decide to go to the team that just beat us at the point where some other possible options had already signed. In the end I don't think it mattered because all of the players that signed before Hossa made his decision were either out of the Pens range or not on the Pens radar. Well that and the fact that the Pens won the Cup.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I never thought that he was greedy. I just thought he was a ******* for leading the Pens to believe that he was going to sign with them, and then decide to go to the team that just beat us at the point where some other possible options had already signed. In the end I don't think it mattered because all of the players that signed before Hossa made his decision were either out of the Pens range or not on the Pens radar. Well that and the fact that the Pens won the Cup.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say you said it.

I was just reading through it too, and saw a lot of comments by others that basically said he was being greedy.

I do agree that I wish he would have made his decision sooner instead of dragging the Pens along, but that is also on the Pens for letting that happen.

I'm glad he didn't sign. I'm a big believer that we have our superstars, and need to use any other money to build a well rounded, deep team, not a top heavy, 4-5 player type team.

Sorry if it sounded like I was calling you out, because I wasn't!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

Yay for 87!!!!!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

brwi wrote:I think it's about to be a Hossa to Somewhere Else thread in NPR. Kevin Allen is reporting that the Wings won't re-up Hossa unless he takes a Franzen-like deal and I don't see Hossa giving up that much money. Franzen is about a 4mil cap hit with his salary at 5mil the next few years. I can't see Hossa sticking around for that. The "sign with Detroit to win Stanley cup" gambit didn't work, the fans are on his back, he's a little past his peak as a player in terms of age....time for a big contract elsewhere.
According to Mlive article on Holland:
As for the future in terms of his roster, the Wings have about $4 million in salary cap to attempt to re-sign Mikael Samuelsson, Marian Hossa, Ty Conklin, Chris Chelios, Darren McCarty, Aaron Downey, Tomas Kopecky, Mikael Samuelsson, and restricted free agents Ville Leino and Jiri Hudler, and that's partially by design...
I know Holland will make some things work but Hossa seems more like a luxury than necessity for them. Have fun with all that, Big Kenny.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

littlemoonboot wrote:
brwi wrote:I think it's about to be a Hossa to Somewhere Else thread in NPR. Kevin Allen is reporting that the Wings won't re-up Hossa unless he takes a Franzen-like deal and I don't see Hossa giving up that much money. Franzen is about a 4mil cap hit with his salary at 5mil the next few years. I can't see Hossa sticking around for that. The "sign with Detroit to win Stanley cup" gambit didn't work, the fans are on his back, he's a little past his peak as a player in terms of age....time for a big contract elsewhere.
As for the future in terms of his roster, the Wings have about $4 million in salary cap to attempt to re-sign Mikael Samuelsson, Marian Hossa, Ty Conklin, Chris Chelios, Darren McCarty, Aaron Downey, Tomas Kopecky, Mikael Samuelsson, and restricted free agents Ville Leino and Jiri Hudler, and that's partially by design...
I know Holland will make some things work but Hossa seems more like a luxury than necessity for them. Have fun with all that, Big Kenny.
Unless the cap goes up by more than $3 million and they don't resign Samuelsson, Hudler, Leno, or a backup goalie, Hossa won't stay in Detroit. I don't think they're willing to give him a front loaded Zetterberg-Franzen deal, either.

Hossa to LA, Edmonton, or even Minnesota.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I've heard a lot of good things about L.A.'s prospects for the future...might not be too bad for him if he goes there. Which is funny because I know a Kings fan who hates him and wanted nothing more than to see him fail and rooted real hard for the Pens. She got her wish, and now her team might end up with him. :lol: I love hockey.
Last edited by littlemoonboot on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

littlemoonboot wrote:I've heard a lot of good things about L.A.'s prospects for the future...might not be too bad for him if he goes there. Which is funny because I know a Kings fan who hates him and wanted nothing more than to see him fail and rooted real hard for the Pens. Now that she's gotten her wish, her team might end up with him. :lol: I love hockey.
They're definitely my top pick for Hossa. Shame, cause I kinda like the Kings, but I can also see Fletcher making a grab at him. He's got a lot of work to do in Minni and a decent about of space to work with. If he's going to try and change the offensive pool, Hossa would be a hell of a start. I only say Edmonton cause they'll offer him a billion dollars again.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by therock48880 »

Corvidae wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:
Unless the cap goes up by more than $3 million and they don't resign Samuelsson, Hudler, Leno, or a backup goalie, Hossa won't stay in Detroit. I don't think they're willing to give him a front loaded Zetterberg-Franzen deal, either.
Hossa to LA, Edmonton, or even Minnesota.

Why would you think that they wouldn't offer him a front loaded contract. That's clearly the plan they have used with all of their other forwards, why would it change for him? The local rumor around here is a 10 tear 40 million dollar contract.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by therock48880 »

littlemoonboot wrote:
That's a great point... Hossa had the wings so close to the cap that guys like Helm, Ericsson, and Abdelkader could not make the team. As we saw in the playoffs, these guys are nhl ready right now.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

therock48880 wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:
That's a great point... Hossa had the wings so close to the cap that guys like Helm, Ericsson, and Abdelkader could not make the team. As we saw in the playoffs, these guys are nhl ready right now.
Especially Helm. That kid is awesome. I thought he was Detroit's best overall player in the series.

For your sake, I hope Draper decides to hang them up as well. Let Abdelkadabra get in the lineup or Leino. I think if Holland was smart, he should be saving some cap room just incase Osgood turns into Osbad and he can't get his form back. I thought he may have been done last year during that 10 or 12 game stint where he was atrocious. He'll be 37 in November as well.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

Does Eklund even comprehend what he writes?
It is looking more and more like Gaborik to Vancouver is a strong possibility. VERY strong. Also, there is word tonight that if Gaborik signs and the Sedins bolt, the Canucks could very much be in on Hossa.
Next sentence:
I have heard that a Hossa deal is done to Detroit however and that they are just waiting to announce.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

bhaw wrote:This thread should, fittingly, stop at page 87.
:thumb: Do it, RJ!
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

cs6687 wrote:Does Eklund even comprehend what he writes?
It is looking more and more like Gaborik to Vancouver is a strong possibility. VERY strong. Also, there is word tonight that if Gaborik signs and the Sedins bolt, the Canucks could very much be in on Hossa.
Next sentence:
I have heard that a Hossa deal is done to Detroit however and that they are just waiting to announce.
The guys is an idiot and a genius at the same time.

He just writes stupid crap, knowing everyone will click on it to discuss, thus more business.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Tico Rick wrote:
This thread should never end
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Hossa to lose in DET

fixed
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

JoseCuervo wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:
This thread should never end
I agree.

The only way it should end is if Hossa wins a cup, or retires.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Thinking about Hossa makes me smile now. Long live "Hossa to DET"!!!
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Corvidae wrote:Thinking about Hossa makes me smile now. Long live "Hossa to DET"!!!
:D
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Moving on up to 88?

Yes! :scared: