best. brawl. ever.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

best. brawl. ever.

Post by the wicked child »

http://www.zippyvideos.com/773007452349 ... sheffield/

the only shame is that there's not a better picture.

I think literally the only people who don't fight are the coaches and the referees...
jmh70

Post by jmh70 »

I've always wondered what hockey is like in England. Do the fans sing?
BritishPenguin

Post by BritishPenguin »

The Elite League is alright. The fans are good, but there's not as much interest in Ice Hockey over here. It has to compete with soccer, cricket, rugby union, rugby league, golf, tennis, snooker etc. Coverage is sparse, and it's a shame because if it gained the exposure it would be extremely popular.

Theo Fleury's playing for Belfast at the minute and he's a big name, he's been completely different class.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

That game always brings a smile to my face. I was actually there, in fact not that far from where the video was taken.

The rivalry between the two teams involved (Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers) is reknowned in the UK. It has diminished over the past couple of years, but this bench clearance came at it's height in 2001.

I've got the game on video and every now and again I replay it for a laugh. It was one wild night, dominated by the season-long feud between Sheffield's Dennis Vial (former Ottawa, Detroit and NYR defenceman) and Nottingham's Barry Nieckar (who made 8 appearances in total for Anaheim, Calgary and Hartford). The two had danced a few times before this night, but Nieckar really got the upper hand. In fact Vial was never the same player.

As BritishPenguin said hockey is a minority sport in the UK, but it does have a very loyal fanbase. Historically it's fortunes are cyclical, right now its probably on the way down again. The 90's saw the rise of the ill-fated ISL which aimed to create a league of arena based teams to rival the DEL. Massive sums of money were spent on very talented players, but in the end the financial model just couldn't work. At its best Sheffield was attracting crowds around the 10,000 mark. Now we're lucky if we can get 5,000.

Do the fans sing? Yes, quite often. But right now my team (Sheffield) are in a real slump with moral at an all-time low. Consequently the atmosphere at home games is now akin to a chess match. In fact its so bad you daren't even cough! :wink:
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: best. brawl. ever.

Post by Rob UK Pen »

the wicked child wrote:...I think literally the only people who don't fight are the coaches and the referees...
The coach of Sheffield that night, Mike Blaisdell (former Pittsburgh, Detroit, Toronto and NYR forward) who is now ironically the coach of Nottingham, the other team involved in the video, has albeit briefly fought a player from an opposing team this season!

Also, I've just remembered another funny incident from the bench clearance. Some time after the event, the Sheffield goalie Mike O'Neill claimed that the Nottingham goalie Eoin McInerny tried to bite him during their scrap! :D
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

wow what a mess.... looked like someone blew up a play it again sports....
FlyerNation

Post by FlyerNation »

This might give it a run for it's money. It's more violent from Romania.

http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopin ... php#005778
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

That Romanian one was pretty funny.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:That Romanian one was pretty funny.
Got to admit that was hilarious. But who, or what, was the guy in the white coat?!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Rob UK Pen wrote:Got to admit that was hilarious. But who, or what, was the guy in the white coat?!
Romanian doctor, right?
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

I was thinking butcher....
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

That was amusing... more violent... but a lot shorter.
FlyerNation

Post by FlyerNation »

Rob UK Pen wrote:I was thinking butcher....
LOL!

How about the dude that was all cut up. He looked like he was in his 50's. LOL!