The Official "I told you so, Mike Yeo" thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

The Official "I told you so, Mike Yeo" thread

Post by Nihar »

I told you so, Mike Yeo. I can't believe that it took you this long to figure out that Malkin shouldn't be on the left point on the power play. Congratulations on finally getting it right, but did it really have to take you this long to make the change that we fans knew you should have made weeks if not months ago? Really?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The Official "I told you so, Mike Yeo" thread

Post by penmyst »

That wasn't so hard, now was it?
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

IronDukes37 wrote:Mike Yeo has not been responsible for the Power Play since the coaching change.
Yeo was moved to Defensman and other duties.
Wrong, Steigy was wrong the one time he said Yeo was off PP.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Discuss.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

"team play great, i play great"

discuss.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

SoupOrSam wrote:"team play great, i play great"

discuss.
Discuss this discussion.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by tksmr2 »

A discussion would be nice.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by kovyman1127 »

I am not inside the team...but I would hope ego wasn't a reason Geno was kept on the point...even as the PP dropped.
whgnailer10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by whgnailer10 »

DocEmrick wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:"team play great, i play great"

discuss.
Discuss this discussion.

haha, I actually laughed. good one.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Mike Yeo is 100 percent still in control of the PP.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

Mike Yeo did a fantastic job coaching the PP tonight.

~ Sorry I had to before someone posted how Yeo never gets any credit for the PP playing well when they do.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Bob McKenzie wrote:Mike Yeo did a fantastic job coaching the PP tonight.

~ Sorry I had to before someone posted how Yeo never gets any credit for the PP playing well when they do.
Is just finally using common sense enough to be called fantastic coaching?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

Yeo is still a turd nugget. He was probably told to get Geno off of the point or they stop the scripts of rogaine...it's a shame someone should tell him after all these years it doesn't work.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by purelebo84 »

If this powerplay can click to the tune of two goals per game, the Pens will go along way this spring.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

farnham16 wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Mike Yeo did a fantastic job coaching the PP tonight.

Is just finally using common sense enough to be called fantastic coaching?
For some people, yes.

Then again, none of us here have played or coached in the NHL so what do we know? I guess watching a team for hours upon hours game after game doesn't qualify anyone here for having the ability to provide quality analysis of how the team plays.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

frankiep wrote:Refer to "Letang on Power Play" thread. It's that simple. He couldn't change the system that quickly and coaches likely worked a lot with Letang until he was capable of playing the LEFT point on the power play. No Whitney and no Boucher meant no options on the left side until Letang improved and he has. Sorry guys, but you need to understand the system and personnel in place before going haywire and demanding Yeo is fired. There's a reason he is on that bench and people here in the stands are yelling "shoot" when Gonchar has an unscreened look at the net from the blue line on the power play. He knows what he is doing and the last couple games are proof. He just had to wait until Letang matured to this point after Whitney's departure.
Is that you Mike?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

frankiep wrote:Refer to "Letang on Power Play" thread. It's that simple. He couldn't change the system that quickly and coaches likely worked a lot with Letang until he was capable of playing the LEFT point on the power play. No Whitney and no Boucher meant no options on the left side until Letang improved and he has. Sorry guys, but you need to understand the system and personnel in place before going haywire and demanding Yeo is fired. There's a reason he is on that bench and people here in the stands are yelling "shoot" when Gonchar has an unscreened look at the net from the blue line on the power play. He knows what he is doing and the last couple games are proof. He just had to wait until Letang matured to this point after Whitney's departure.
So...In two or three games, Letang is magically able to play the PP at this point? He wasn't capable a few games ago?

Also, Boucher plays the right side.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ivand87 »

SoupOrSam wrote:
Is that you Mike?
Letang has been ready for the past couple of months, and if they had given him that responsibility from the beginning of the season, he would have been playing great on the left point since mid November. Therrien and Mike Yeo should have realized this and should have pushed Letang to get his offensive game going, because with Gonchar out, he was the first guy that should have received power play time.

But Yeo messed around too much with Malkin and Goligoski, then with Whitney and Boucher, and that's why it took this long for Letang to get comfortable on the left point.

Paragraphs are nice by the way...
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Stan Potash »

they just need to shoot everybody.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Stan Potash wrote:they just need to shoot everybody.
New PowerPlay moto, "Shoot everybody."
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I don't know how it can't make the penguins ill seeing the flyers ~ with no more talent than the penguins, have a power play clicking at 22.5. Penguins still at 16.9. For the play-offs it is all about special teams and goal-tending. Players have gotten themselves back into the play-offs, but if they don't fix their power play, it will cost them games and / or a series.

with a power play goal sunday; pens could be in sole possession of 4th place & home ice today.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

speaking of the power play...

haven't they completely abandoned what was working for that brief stretch? when we were clicking, malkin was the main possession guy on the right boards. sid was the accessory who sort of floated around and did a lot of work around the net. now we're back to the less effective setup of sid being the possession guy on the right boards, with malkin not really having much of a role. the power play worked last year without sid because of malkin's superior ability to come in from that high spot on the right. why the hell did they put sid back in that spot?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

Here's my take though....

I'd rather make it to the post-season with a weak PP% knowing the potential is limitless...well should be

than

be the Flyers who pretty much depend on that PP to win games. Teams get grittier and take less penalties in the playoffs imo, if they're banking on 22% or going higher in the playoffs I would hate to be in their position. I'd much rather be in ours assuming we can cure whatever has plagued us, ie hairgrowth shampoo vapors or something maybe...I dunno. Something.