Mike Yeo Chopping Block

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Is it time to fire Mike Yeo?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes
95%
No
5%

Total votes: 95

SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Mike Yeo Chopping Block

Post by SoupOrSam »

I say remove the bald-headed turd. Edit: What is the worst that could happen? They score even less?
Last edited by SoupOrSam on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildKaper
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Mike Yeo Chopping Block

Post by WildKaper »

Anybody who thinks putting the leagues top scorer on the left point so he can run the back-door play ala the great Ryan Whitney deserves to be fire, hired, and then immediately fired again.
guins87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by guins87 »

WildKaper wrote:Anybody who thinks putting the leagues top scorer on the left point so he can run the back-door play ala the great Ryan Whitney deserves to be fire, hired, and then immediately fired again.
100% agree. This Power play looked awesome last year running through Malkin now we are making him our third option on the left wing boards. Really well thought out. I love Crosby as a player, but he should be down low on the goal line or off to the right of the goalie because he can't score from where he is at, so teams take away the pass. It's useless.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by westside »

I don't care if he's fired or not, he should just be taken off the PP. Or just have the players start doing exactly the opposite of what he says. They need to be a dangerous team on the PP and right now they are just lost. I thought it was at least getting better, even though they still could not score, the last few weeks, but today was horrible.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

guins87 wrote:
WildKaper wrote:Anybody who thinks putting the leagues top scorer on the left point so he can run the back-door play ala the great Ryan Whitney deserves to be fire, hired, and then immediately fired again.
100% agree. This Power play looked awesome last year running through Malkin now we are making him our third option on the left wing boards. Really well thought out. I love Crosby as a player, but he should be down low on the goal line or off to the right of the goalie because he can't score from where he is at, so teams take away the pass. It's useless.
I would argue that Malkin is the last option on the PP right now, or at least next to last after Kunitz.

The only reason Malkin isn't playing the right wing boards is because it's thought to be "Sid's postion." So our team is made less effective by our coaching staff just to make Sid happy. Malkin is a much better option there than Sid is.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

Is yeo still coaching the bowel play? Someone said he wasn't. But the PP looks too crappy for him not to still be there.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

littlemoonboot wrote:Is yeo still coaching the bowel play? Someone said he wasn't. But the PP looks too crappy for him not to still be there.
He's definitely still the PP guy. The design has Yeo written all over it.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by NJ5934 »

There are so many options right now regarding our power play. Personally, I think it might be a good thing to split Sid and Geno, but what the ---- do I know.

I do believe Shero has been quoted as saying a coach must be judged on wins and losses. If results matter and I would hope they do, THERE IS NO...NO...NO JUSTIFICATION IN MIKE YEO RETAINING HIS JOB!

He has the top two scorers in the league and arguably the best offensive blueliner and the team is 24th out of 30 teams. That is fact. Right now he has Malkin, Crosby, Guerin, Kunitz and Sykora to send out with Gonchar and Letang and the PP is as ineffective as it has ever been.

We had two and a half minutes of PP after Talbot was high sticked to put this game away. We didn't and we lost. Then again, we've lost many games and third period leads for that matter on nights when our power play could have put it away. If our PP was even 10th in the league, we would not be struggling to make the playoffs.

IF this team fails to make the playoffs this year, it's because our power play has been a complete failure ALL SEASON LONG.......period.

It is an absolute disgrace that Mike Yeo is still employed by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ivand87 »

This guy SUCKS. Letang and Gonchar should be the point men and Malkin should play the right wall, Crosby should move from the left and behind the net and support Malkin on the right corner. Then you stick Guerin in front of the net.

THAT'S IT. It's so SIMPLE. Yeo sucks, just fire him!

And Bylsma's retarded too, he's the head coach, he should realize this. It's so obvious that Malkin shouldn't play the point, and Kunitz would be good in front of the net if we didn't have Guerin. But we got Guerin now, so Kunitz should help out the 2nd unit. And you can rotate Guerin and Sykora since Petr Gunn has more power play goals than anyone on the team.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Why So Serious? »

I wish I could could chop block Mike Yeo.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by kirk »

1. Amen.

2. Having someone with no sense of offensive play and no history of offensive related accomplishment coach a powerplay . . . well, should we be so surprised that it underachieves?
shortbird II
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by shortbird II »

kirk wrote:
1. Amen.

2. Having someone with no sense of offensive play and no history of offensive related accomplishment coach a powerplay . . . well, should we be so surprised that it underachieves?
Defense isn't looking so hot right now, either.

II
Maagwa

Post by Maagwa »

shortbird II wrote:Defense isn't looking so hot right now, either.

II
Ok, Shortbird lets no over exaggerate here. The defense is is a driving force that is helping the Pens through their 7 game Winning Streak. The only weakness of this team, and its a big one, is the inability to capitalize on Powerplay chances. Opposing teams see this and play Ultra Agressive because they know if the Penguins are on the Powerplay they have a minimal chance of converting.
shortbird II
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by shortbird II »

Maagwa wrote:
shortbird II wrote:Defense isn't looking so hot right now, either.

II
Ok, Shortbird lets no over exaggerate here. The defense is is a driving force that is helping the Pens through their 7 game Winning Streak. The only weakness of this team, and its a big one, is the inability to capitalize on Powerplay chances. Opposing teams see this and play Ultra Agressive because they know if the Penguins are on the Powerplay they have a minimal chance of converting.
You are correct. Lot of running around today in their end was all I meant.

II
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I almost voted no because the time to fire him was last year but at least should have been when MT and Savard went.

It makes absoltely no sense to keep this turd on the coaching staff. I would trust anyone who ever made a post here on LGP to be an assistant over Mike Yeo.
WildKaper
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by WildKaper »

DelPen wrote:I almost voted no because the time to fire him was last year but at least should have been when MT and Savard went.

It makes absoltely no sense to keep this turd on the coaching staff. I would trust anyone who ever made a post here on LGP to be an assistant over Mike Yeo.
Where do I pick up my application? :-)
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cojac »

PP sucked with MT, PP sucks with DB, only common thread.....Mike Yeo was/is in charge of the PP. Using Malkin on the LP is like Big Ben throwing left handed.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I feel like I am insane when I see him behind the bench. If they wind up losing a playoff series in 6 or 7 gamea after going 3 for 29 on the PP I am going to lose it. And it is frightening that this is a distinct possibility.

At this point, I have to start to wonder about IHCDB's sanity as well. Does Yeo have nudies of all of these guys or something. I wish I would be so incompetent at my job and still retain it. I mean what does this guy have to do to get fired? No really, how bad does the PP have to be before they replace him?
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by djlm »

Wow... 0 for 39 as we speak. It's almost like his PP record :D
Maagwa

Post by Maagwa »

djlm wrote:Wow... 0 for 39 as we speak. It's almost like his PP record :D
Win.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

I realize that this is not a popular sentiment...

...but one has to assume that there's more to this than we the fans understand. They had the opportunity to fire Mike Yeo, but they didn't. That had to be for a reason.

And no, the reason is not "we're smarter than they are".
Maagwa

Post by Maagwa »

Three Stars wrote: And no, the reason is not "we're smarter than they are".
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

I certainly don't see a reason to keep him.

If his only contribution to the team is special teams play, then he should be fired. I'm surprised he wasn't replaced after the firing of MT.

The PK has been pretty good which is a plus for him, but the powerplay has been horrid this year. A good deal of blame is on the players too, but it's amazing that this is the same guy who coached that amazing powerplay from last year. He has obviously made zero adjustments with the talent this team has.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by scpensfan »

I actually thought about voting "No," with the reason being it was time to fire him three months ago.

Couldn't bring myself to do it, though.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by It'sagreatdayforhockey! »

Three Stars wrote:I realize that this is not a popular sentiment...

...but one has to assume that there's more to this than we the fans understand. They had the opportunity to fire Mike Yeo, but they didn't. That had to be for a reason.

And no, the reason is not "we're smarter than they are".

Is the answer, "blackmail" or "compromising photos"?