FIRE MIKE YEO PETITION!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

FIRE MIKE YEO PETITION!!!

Post by FuturePens »

I know there is a lot wrong with the team right now...but i rather make a minor coaching change before the deadline instead of some major player move...

...I am a huge huge fan... I have not missed a game since I came overseas in 1999 and became a fan during the 2001 run we had...while we had Kovi, Lang and co. ...I have DVR'ed many games this year and even re watched the losses we had...and quiet frankly...I can recall at least 5 games we had this season where we lost a close game and could not convert on a lengthy 5 vs 3 ...or we had 5-8 PP chances throughout the game....

Get real..

1. We are tied for the 22nd PP ...with the Islanders having a better % then we do.
2. We have the 23rd ranked PK... and we gave up 9 short handed goals which is 3rd worst in the league
3. We have had 216 PP chances this year...which is the 3rd most in the league

...anyone that thinks that Mike Yeo has nothing to do with this is nuts!!! A YEO replacement is the first step in improving this team...he' is "A" reason we have 50 points right now instead of potential 55-60....

ps. thank you for signing the petition @
http://petitionspot.com/petitions/mikeyeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LETS GO PENS!!!
Last edited by FuturePens on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: MIKE YEOO!!!

Post by Samsdog »

As stated in another thread...

I'm not a Yeo fan, and I do think his work with the PP is inexcusable, but it's not as much his fault as it's made out to be. It's really not his fault that all of the personnel he has to work with are excessive passers. Nor is it his fault that there isn't anyone on the roster with the size/hands to be an effective screen in front of the net. And, perhaps most importantly, Mike Yeo did not dislocate the arm of the best PP quarterback in hockey. It just didn't happen. Should the power play be more effective than it is? Yes. Is some of that his fault? Undoubtedly. But does an equal amount of the blame attributable to the players and the GM? Yes.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I would rather have seen Bissonette, Minard, and Thomas on a 1 min of the power play last night; they shoot the puck. It is not pretty, but they are around the net, making it more difficult for the goalie. Instead of worrying if their passes will connect and chasing pucks from their own end.
Penguin all stars, young stars, hart, art ross winner/ runnner up refuse to shoot the puck, what can a Yeo do?
Last edited by penny lane on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: FIRE MIKE YEO PETITION!!!

Post by Three Stars »

I'm going to laugh if/when Yeo is gone and the power play continues to struggle this year.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan20 »

Three Stars wrote:I'm going to laugh if/when Yeo is gone and the power play continues to struggle this year.
Im going to laugh if and when none of the coaching staff is gone and we continue to loose. But thats only because at this point its better just to laugh then to constantly cry...
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Malkin is 8th in the league in shots. Implying that he doesn't shoot is ridiculous. Yes Sid does need to shoot more, but that is not the problem. The problem is that the PP looks completely out of sink. No one looks like they know what anyone else is going to do. I think that this is absolutely Yeo's fault.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by FuturePens »

pensfan20 wrote:
Three Stars wrote:I'm going to laugh if/when Yeo is gone and the power play continues to struggle this year.
Im going to laugh if and when none of the coaching staff is gone and we continue to loose. But thats only because at this point its better just to laugh then to constantly cry...
Laugh or cry...I rather see Yeo leave the MT...you have to start somewhere...and

In my opinion we need to fix the special teams asap...even in games we struggle, if we can convert in at least one of the 5 chances we get per game, we could have had at least 4-5 extra points right now...and that certainly would have looked much better in the standings right now...
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Samsdog wrote:As stated in another thread...

I'm not a Yeo fan, and I do think his work with the PP is inexcusable, but it's not as much his fault as it's made out to be. It's really not his fault that all of the personnel he has to work with are excessive passers. Nor is it his fault that there isn't anyone on the roster with the size/hands to be an effective screen in front of the net. And, perhaps most importantly, Mike Yeo did not dislocate the arm of the best PP quarterback in hockey. It just didn't happen. Should the power play be more effective than it is? Yes. Is some of that his fault? Undoubtedly. But does an equal amount of the blame attributable to the players and the GM? Yes.
Ok so when do YOU samsdog personally say Yeo has to go? The only part of your point that holds any water is Gonchar. That is a factor that Yeo could not control. We are however half way into the season and I guess 40 plus games is not enough to make the Gonchar-less adjustment.

At this point you giving any of the players blame for this is ridiculous. Excessive passers? You are right. Ever notice that nobody is getting open for a clean shot? So we pass and we pass until the puck leaves the zone. It couldn't be Yeo's fault since this group of players must be the most uncoachable in the world. We have Crosby and Malkin and by your implication, you can't tell these players what to do. We don't have anyone with a good set of hands to play in front of the net? When was the last time you seen someone on every PP actually go in front of the net? We have had this argument a million times on here between posters...if players are not listening to the orders, then a good coach figures out a way to amazingly get through to the so called dead ears.

Mike Yeo is killing wins from this team. Period
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

When the puck hits Malkins stick on the powerplay, he shoots about 50 % of the time. The one or two times it hits Sykora's stick per powerplay, he shoots. The rest of the time the puck is cycled. That's not enough. You saw last year how many times goals went in without Malone touching them just because of his net presence, plus the number of times he tipped it in. You saw that Gonchar LED THE ENTIRE LEAGUE IN POWERPLAY ASSISTS? How do all of those things make it completely Yeo's fault? I'm not saying he isn't part of it, just that it's not entirely his fault, and if people think that firing him is going to suddenly make the power play what it was last year, they're delusional. The unit is underachieving, Yeo should get some of the blame, but to say it's all his fault is totally ludicrous.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by FuturePens »

Mike Yeo is killing wins from this team. Period[quote][/quote]

Agree...

Please sign the petition ;-)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Samsdog wrote:When the puck hits Malkins stick on the powerplay, he shoots about 50 % of the time. The one or two times it hits Sykora's stick per powerplay, he shoots. The rest of the time the puck is cycled. That's not enough. You saw last year how many times goals went in without Malone touching them just because of his net presence, plus the number of times he tipped it in. You saw that Gonchar LED THE ENTIRE LEAGUE IN POWERPLAY ASSISTS? How do all of those things make it completely Yeo's fault. I'm not saying he isn't part of it, just that it's not entirely his fault, and if people think that firing him is going to suddenly make the power play what it was last year, they're delusional. The unit is underachieving, Yeo should get some of the blame, but to say it's all his fault is totally ludicrous.
We also saw an amazing PP with Gonch-Whitney-Crosby-Sykora-Malkin too. Either the players are all idiots or they are doing extacly what Yeo says out there. You be the judge of which part is true.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Samsdog wrote:When the puck hits Malkins stick on the powerplay, he shoots about 50 % of the time. The one or two times it hits Sykora's stick per powerplay, he shoots. The rest of the time the puck is cycled. That's not enough. You saw last year how many times goals went in without Malone touching them just because of his net presence, plus the number of times he tipped it in. You saw that Gonchar LED THE ENTIRE LEAGUE IN POWERPLAY ASSISTS? How do all of those things make it completely Yeo's fault? I'm not saying he isn't part of it, just that it's not entirely his fault, and if people think that firing him is going to suddenly make the power play what it was last year, they're delusional. The unit is underachieving, Yeo should get some of the blame, but to say it's all his fault is totally ludicrous.
Oooooooook...so again when the players are doing the wrong things over and over by your assesment, when do you get rid of the messenger?

Either the players don't understand what the genius Mike Yeo is trying to tell them, or he isn't telling the right things.
At this point, no matter how you slice it the PP IS Mike Yeo's mess. Not Shero and certainly not the players.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

Like I said, I'm not saying he doesn't share some of the blame. It seems that everyone thinks its a magic fix, and it's not. Will it help? I can't say with any degree of certainty that it wouldn't, since, as I stated in my original post (but everyone seems content to ignore), his work thus far has been inexcusable. If you go back and actually read the point I made, I only said that the problem is also on the shoulders of the players and the GM. It would probably be good if you actually argued the point that I made instead of the one you want to put in my mouth.

Once again, for simplicity's sake:

Yeo = not good
Personnel management= not good
Player focus = not good
Injuries = devastating
Firing = only addressing part of the problem.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

Samsdog wrote: Firing = only addressing part of the problem.
at least it's a step in the "fix this" direction...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by FuturePens »

Samsdog wrote:
Yeo = not good
Player focus = not good
Injuries = devastating
I agree with that 100%

but yeo is even on top of your list...and you got to start somewhere, right?
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

Didn't say it wouldn't help. Only said it wasn't a quick fix. Players and GM have to do their part too. As long as we can all agree that more work than that needs done, and by other members of the organization, my name is on your petition.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Typical LGP Poster Guide to Successful Posting

1. When the Pens are losing find one thing to blame (can be MT, Yeo, Whitney, Satan, etc.)
2. Start a million threads on the subject
3. Insist this is the only problem with the Pens
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by booboo »

It is quite likely nothing would change after Yeo is gone if his replacement
continues using Whitney and Boucher on the points and not using anyone
to create traffic in front of the net. It is beyond my comprehension why
would you put two slowest and unfocused people to qb your game while
a guy with the best instincts (58) is watching this tasteless joke of a pp
from the bench. It is also beyond me why we could not plant someone like
Cooke or even Godard in front of the net. Not only they would occasionally
screen the goalie and absorb attention of one D, but they would also tame
down the frequency of stupid blind passes our pp squad prefers to enjoy
over shooting the darned puck when they have a chance or going with it
to the net. I am also in favor of keeping the superstars from the 1st pp unit
for some time. They need to refocus. Let them sit and watch WBS line do their
stuff on the pp. That might not be much more productive pp outfit, but
at least they will show some heart and hunger for success.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Samsdog wrote:Like I said, I'm not saying he doesn't share some of the blame. It seems that everyone thinks its a magic fix, and it's not. Will it help? I can't say with any degree of certainty that it wouldn't, since, as I stated in my original post (but everyone seems content to ignore), his work thus far has been inexcusable. If you go back and actually read the point I made, I only said that the problem is also on the shoulders of the players and the GM. It would probably be good if you actually argued the point that I made instead of the one you want to put in my mouth.

Yeo = not good
Player focus = not good
Injuries = devastating
I've argued and will continue to argue putting the blame on players and the GM. Malone and Gonchar are not the reason at this point in the year we suck at the PP.

Yeo=not good? Correct
Personnel management=not good? Incorrect. We have the personel for a good PP.
Player focus=not good? Correct but why do you think that is? :roll:
Injuries=devastating? Incorrect. 40 plus games into the season most coaches are able to adjust :?
Firing=only addressing part of the problem? Correct. Here is what is certain over firing Yeo. There is no guarantee if another PP coach comes in here it will be fixed.
The guarantee is if Yeo stays on as PP coach then you can be guaranteed this PP will continue to be bad.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

Scott wrote:
Samsdog wrote:Like I said, I'm not saying he doesn't share some of the blame. It seems that everyone thinks its a magic fix, and it's not. Will it help? I can't say with any degree of certainty that it wouldn't, since, as I stated in my original post (but everyone seems content to ignore), his work thus far has been inexcusable. If you go back and actually read the point I made, I only said that the problem is also on the shoulders of the players and the GM. It would probably be good if you actually argued the point that I made instead of the one you want to put in my mouth.

Yeo = not good
Player focus = not good
Injuries = devastating
I've argued and will continue to argue putting the blame on players and the GM. Malone and Gonchar are not the reason at this point in the year we suck at the PP.

Yeo=not good? Correct
Personnel management=not good? Incorrect. We have the personel for a good PP.
Player focus=not good? Correct but why do you think that is? :roll:
Injuries=devastating? Incorrect. 40 plus games into the season most coaches are able to adjust :?
Firing=only addressing part of the problem? Correct. Here is what is certain over firing Yeo. There is no guarantee if another PP coach comes in here it will be fixed.
The guarantee is if Yeo stays on as PP coach then you can be guaranteed this PP will continue to be bad.
Don't agree with the whole post there, but at this point since we both seem to agree that there are other problems and that Yeo is not doing his job correctly I'm not even sure what we're still arguing. My ideas of what the others are may be different than yours but since we agree in principle here I'm not going to bother worrying about the semantics.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by booboo »

TheHammer24 wrote:Typical LGP Poster Guide to Successful Posting

1. When the Pens are losing find one thing to blame (can be MT, Yeo, Whitney, Satan, etc.)
There is another typical category here:

When the Pens are playing the awfully ugly imitation of team hockey,
and the concerned fans come here to vent their frustration,
tell them they are jerks. Of course, you gotta be really smart
and know all much better than those stupid people who always
complain, to be in a position to do that. Superior is the word.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by FuturePens »

booboo wrote:

When the pens are playing awfull? ....well....that's been for most of the season...and I am speaking of the Powerplay and the penalty kill has only been good for a little while...
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

You know, I don't see firing Mike Yeo making them work any harder on the boards to keep the puck in, or making their forwards any more willing to go to the net.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I'm not a believer in firing an assistant coach....MT is the head coach, he has full control of the team...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by FuturePens »

booboo wrote:

When the pens are playing awfull? ....well....that's been for most of the season...and I am speaking of the Powerplay and the penalty kill has only been good for a little while...