civil lawsuit against T Bertuzzi filed...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

civil lawsuit against T Bertuzzi filed...

Post by penny lane »

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/sports/iceho ... 60215.html

Suit filed in Ontario; Steve Moore's family citing damages.

:oops: all regrets if posted somewhere
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Jamie »

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but I think that Moore should be entitled to damages. Bertuzzi attacked him from behind w/o Moore having the opportunity to defend himself. IMO it was not "mutual combat", where both people agreed to go at it. Bertuzzi sucker punched Moore from behind, and then "bulldogged" him to the ice face first.

I really feel sorry for Moore. He will probably never play hockey at a professional level again, if at all.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

I don't think you'll get flamed for it at all. When that happened, the pro-Bertuzzi posts were few and far between. As far as the hockey punishment went, I thought Bertuzzi got off easy. He shouldn't be playing unthil the start of next season at the earliest.

I am not a fan of the sue-happy society America has turned into, but I hope Steve Moore gets the full amount named in the lawsuit from Bertuzzi.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

This is one case where I fully agree with the right to sue. Unfortuantely, that right gets abused by people looking for a cheap buck, but no need to go there. :)
Orpik Fan

Post by Orpik Fan »

Good luck Steve, I hope you get all you can from him plus more!!!
BritishPenguin

Post by BritishPenguin »

I'd like to see Moore win his case. Such a shame what happened to him.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I am completely against frivolous lawsuits. But in this case we all saw a deliberate act by Bertuzzi probably end Moore's career and greatly diminished his future earnings.

I see damages being awarded here. Moore should get whatever they figure out he would have earned in his NHL career and use stats and salaries of similar players plus cost of inflation increases to come to that figure.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Let me add my name to the list that agrees that Moore should be awarded reasonable damages consistant with the loss of his livelyhood.

No one hates frivolous lawsuits more than I, but Steve deserves just compensation.

I find it interesting that not a single poster has taken Betuzzi's side on this matter.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Let me add my name to the list that agrees that Moore should be awarded reasonable damages consistant with the loss of his livelyhood.

No one hates frivolous lawsuits more than I, but Steve deserves just compensation.

I find it interesting that not a single poster has taken Betuzzi's side on this matter.
Probably because if this guy wasn't a pro athlete his ass would be in JAIL right now instead of playing in the olympics.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

the wicked child wrote:Probably because if this guy wasn't a pro athlete his ass would be in JAIL right now instead of playing in the olympics.
Yeah, if the same incident occurred at a men's league game somewhere on a Friday night, he'd be looking at serious jail time for sure.