Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by cs6687 »

Spanish translation on the signs at Lowe's...in WV.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

charlesroast wrote:Its probably been mentioned here and I know it was in a post long ago along the same theme...People who try to get on elevators before I get off of it! I usually just stand in the doorway until they get the idea to back away. Sometimes I yell at them. Sometimes I stand there and if they move to a side to try and squeeze in, I usually follow their move and block them. That one really cheers me up if am having a bad day at work...everyone is in such a frakkin hurry these days.
Yes! Same with buses, trains and trams.

Oh, and when I need a file saved on my memory stick to do some work and find out that my girlfriend has taken it with her to school without asking LIKE SHE DID TODAY!!! :evil:
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

People who talk to the television or the movie they are watching. I actually don't think that it's an irrational pet peeve because I can't imagine someone not finding it annoying, but the level to which it bothers me is irrational. I don't watch a lot of TV, so when I do it tends to be something that I really want to concentrate on and actually watch rather than listen to someone's running commentary/critique on what the character is doing, what a stupid decision s/he is making, etc. I get so annoyed that sometimes I will actually get up and leave the room. I prefer to watch TV by myself because I get so distracted when someone is talking.

Also, movie talkers drive me to violence, but I'm pretty sure that's a common pet peeve and not irrational.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

Guinness wrote:Businesses that alter the correct spelling of a word; especially a local small business, like a "Kevin's Kar Wash", for instance. Dude, it's not witty. In fact, I won't patronize your business because it seems you're either a dolt who can't spell, or you think I'm a dolt who'd be enticed by your fancy little "switch-a-roo".
I have a similar pet peeve, substituting numbers for letters. I think it all started with "Se7en" and it's now everywhere. I loathe it to a completely irrational degree.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

People who dress their pets in clothes, uninformed people talking about politics, people who dont move to the middle of the car on the Metro when its crowded (MAKE ROOM!), those who think Halloween is a satanic holiday, AM radio, local bands that suck but still get played on the radio, canaans mom, people who don't vote and complain about the govt., people who spit into a container, baseball, daylight savings, when bars close, dog the bounty hunter, everything on Lifetime...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Gaucho wrote:
charlesroast wrote:Its probably been mentioned here and I know it was in a post long ago along the same theme...People who try to get on elevators before I get off of it! I usually just stand in the doorway until they get the idea to back away. Sometimes I yell at them. Sometimes I stand there and if they move to a side to try and squeeze in, I usually follow their move and block them. That one really cheers me up if am having a bad day at work...everyone is in such a frakkin hurry these days.
Yes! Same with buses, trains and trams.

Oh, and when I need a file saved on my memory stick to do some work and find out that my girlfriend has taken it with her to school without asking LIKE SHE DID TODAY!!! :evil:
What is even worse is finding out a few hours later that she in fact did not take it and I was just blind... :oops:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

ziggystardust wrote:2318008. Now stand on your head and read that.
hehehehehe....boobies...hehehehehe
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

ziggystardust wrote:Interesting question that needs to be asked after LeopardLetangs post - do people ever do or think things that they are willing to admit are completely irrational?
Ziggy... I am irrationally terrified of clowns. There was no childhood trauma to start it. I just am. I call it irrational all the time.

Pet peeves--
* People who ride my ass on the highway even though there's no one in the left lane and they can pass. There are two lanes for a reason, a-hole! If my driving 5 miles over the speed limit still isn't fast enough for you, PASS ME!
* Anyone talking while I'm watching sports that has nothing to do with the sport I'm watching. It drives me nuts when my grandfather shows up at the house during a Pens games and starts blabbing about random things. It makes me unable to concentrate on the game.
* My brother scratching his fingernails on the Pens logo on his jersey. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, and usually results in me punching him. Also on the "annoying brother subject," he's 6'1, I'm 5'5, so I HATE it when he drives my car anywhere and moves the seat, and then doesn't fix it. Gar!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

IrishEyes wrote:* People who ride my ass on the highway even though there's no one in the left lane and they can pass. There are two lanes for a reason, a-hole! If my driving 5 miles over the speed limit still isn't fast enough for you, PASS ME!
I drive like a minimum of 10-15 mph over, and people do the same thing to me. Worst is on 279 going to town. I'll get on and stay in the far right, so there are 2 lanes to my left and people still try to hit my bumper, meanwhile i'm going 75-80.
* Anyone talking while I'm watching sports that has nothing to do with the sport I'm watching. It drives me nuts when my grandfather shows up at the house during a Pens games and starts blabbing about random things. It makes me unable to concentrate on the game.
I end up leaving the room anytime there is a pens game and watching it by myself, because my family has to talk constantly. Or they'll be silent when the commentators are just doing play by play for 5 minutes or Steigy is talking about nothign for a while. Suddenly they will actually talk about something interesting and the people on either side of me decide to have a conversation with eachother and I miss it. And if I even consider rewinding it, they start complaining to me about it and I miss it again. Its your fault I have to rewind it, don't be offended!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I just saw another one.

People saying "Am I the only one..." then proceeding to say something that is common and/or obvious.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

IrishEyes wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:Interesting question that needs to be asked after LeopardLetangs post - do people ever do or think things that they are willing to admit are completely irrational?
Ziggy... I am irrationally terrified of clowns. There was no childhood trauma to start it. I just am. I call it irrational all the time.

Pet peeves--
* People who ride my ass on the highway even though there's no one in the left lane and they can pass. There are two lanes for a reason, a-hole! If my driving 5 miles over the speed limit still isn't fast enough for you, PASS ME!
* My brother scratching his fingernails on the Pens logo on his jersey. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, and usually results in me punching him. Also on the "annoying brother subject," he's 6'1, I'm 5'5, so I HATE it when he drives my car anywhere and moves the seat, and then doesn't fix it. Gar!
Did you read "It" when you were very young? :wink:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

IrishEyes wrote:I am irrationally terrified of clowns. There was no childhood trauma to start it. I just am. I call it irrational all the time.
I am too and there is no underlying reason for it. I just think clowns creepy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

wallflower wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:I am irrationally terrified of clowns. There was no childhood trauma to start it. I just am. I call it irrational all the time.
I am too and there is no underlying reason for it. I just think clowns creepy.
When I was younger I was irrationally afraid of them, now its just irrational hatred. I just want to punch those squeaky noses.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I hate clowns, too.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Spikey »

ziggystardust wrote:
2318008. Now stand on your head and read that.
The only acceptable use I've ever seen.

I came up with another pet peeve today when I went to lunch. People who stand in line at restaurants for ten minutes and still don't know what they want when they get to the counter. This is especially true at freaking Chipotle. They only have like five items to choose from, and their menu hangs on giant red signs right over the counter. How can it be that tough to decide?

On a related note, people who have to have all of their food made to their exact (and weird) specifications regardless of where they're eating. I understand that people have allergies or whatever and I'm something of a picky eater myself, but at a fast food place on a weekday at lunch hour is not the time or place to get ridiculously choosy. How much salt do you add to that rice? Can I get half chicken and half steak? Is that sour cream low fat? Can I have that on a plate instead of one of those baskets? Just. Deal. With. It. If you're that concerned about your food intake, you probably shouldn't be eating at Chipotle anyway.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I have only rational pet peeves.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I hate the term "pet peeves"
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I hate the term "pet peeves"
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

I hate when people sarcastically say that an elite athlete is "pretty good".
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

What the hell is a "peeve"!?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Guinness wrote:
peeve
   /piv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [peev]
verb, peeved, peev⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to render peevish; annoy.
–noun
2. a source of annoyance or irritation: Tardiness is one of my greatest peeves.
3. an annoyed or irritated mood: to be in a peeve.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I love the adj. peevish. I need to use that more.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

PensFanInDC wrote:People who dress their pets in clothes, uninformed people talking about politics, people who dont move to the middle of the car on the Metro when its crowded (MAKE ROOM!), those who think Halloween is a satanic holiday, AM radio, local bands that suck but still get played on the radio, canaans mom, people who don't vote and complain about the govt., people who spit into a container, baseball, daylight savings, when bars close, dog the bounty hunter, everything on Lifetime...

lol. i dress my cocker spaniel in clothes all the time. i think its hilarious.

i hate you.
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Rocky133213 »

dagny wrote:
Guinness wrote:
peeve
   /piv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [peev]
verb, peeved, peev⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to render peevish; annoy.
–noun
2. a source of annoyance or irritation: Tardiness is one of my greatest peeves.
3. an annoyed or irritated mood: to be in a peeve.
You can use a word in its own definition?!
jwienand
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jwienand »

canaan wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
canaan wrote:
but.....he does it for the starvin children!

does he cheat on his wife for the starvin' children? :lol:
No. Not at all.

Looks like he cheated on his wife with children!