Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

crzymike wrote:I believe it's improper. My opinion on this isn't whats important. I am going by Shero's comments on this matter and that is solely what I am basing this premise on. According to statements he has made recently and in the past couple of years, this most certainly can be construed as tampering. You are NOT allowed to talk about a player possibly joining your organization in any way or in any manner while under contract to another team.
1. Word of mouth via Scotty Bowman.

2. Absolutely no indication Babcock was talking about playing hockey.

=

No tampering.

Who cares anyway, even if it WAS blatant tampering, it doesn't bring him back. So big whoop. Get over it.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Jesse wrote:Who cares anyway, even if it WAS blatant tampering, it doesn't bring him back. So big whoop. Get over it.
just gives you another reason to hate detroit :D
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Jesse wrote:
crzymike wrote:I believe it's improper. My opinion on this isn't whats important. I am going by Shero's comments on this matter and that is solely what I am basing this premise on. According to statements he has made recently and in the past couple of years, this most certainly can be construed as tampering. You are NOT allowed to talk about a player possibly joining your organization in any way or in any manner while under contract to another team.

=

No tampering.

Who cares anyway, even if it WAS blatant tampering, it doesn't bring him back. So big whoop. Get over it.
It was tampering and no I won't be getting over it for quite a while (the loss of Hossa that is). No indication Babcock was talking about hockey? lol

An if you dont care about this matter, why debate it? Or why enter a thread about it if you are over it. No disrespect intended just wondering.

I have had to accept he's gone but it's not easy. This new revelation was very disappointing to read about though.
Jimmy Straka

Post by Jimmy Straka »

I heard Marino and Cuban were interested in buying the pens.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

So if we're talking about Parcells man boobs, can a joke about Rikishi's ass fit in here somewhere, too?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

crzymike wrote:
Jesse wrote:

=

No tampering.

It was tampering and no I won't be getting over it for quite a while (the loss of Hossa that is). No indication Babcock was talking about hockey? lol

An if you dont care about this matter, why debate it? Or why enter a thread about it if you are over it. No disrespect intended just wondering.

I have had to accept he's gone but it's not easy. This new revelation was very disappointing to read about though.

Did Mike Babcock say "Come play hockey with us in Detroit?"

A simple yes or no will suffice.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

This argument isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon. I suggest you abort immediately.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Kicksave wrote:This argument isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon. I suggest you abort immediately.
since i'm ona scrubs video kick right now:

1:20 mark is the relevant piece of video.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Hossa's a di#k. That should end this thread.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

farnham16 wrote:Hossa's a di#k. That should end this thread.
Ben, the fun needs to continue because as we all know, this is the greatest thread in the history of the last three months. :wink:
The Joker

Post by The Joker »

crzymike wrote:
Ben, the fun needs to continue because as we all know, this is the greatest thread in the history of the last three months. :wink:
Wrong.

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... hp?t=27674
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

The Joker wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Wrong.

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... hp?t=27674
:roll:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I'm not really inclined to consider this tampering myself, but if the "powers that be" deem it to be, I would want to see whatever punitive measures are stipulated carried out.

I'm of the mind that the team is better off without Hossa & his contract, but right is right. I hate bullies.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by therock48880 »

Jesse wrote:Haha, so let me get this straight. If Pavel Datsyuk skates up to Sidney Crosby before the faceoff of a game and says, "Hey, you're pretty good. Come play for us".

That's tampering?

No. It isn't.

Tampering assumes negotiation. I doubt Babcock offered him a contract in the hand shake line.
Or what if at a celebrity golf tournament Crosby tells Gaborik that they'd be great teammates? Tampering? NNNOOOOO.

It sounds like Brian Burke is rubbing off on some people.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

In happier times :wink:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

it's all sour grapes... if hossa would have re-signed with the Pens and then someone came out and said that Babcock told him "you should come to detroit," everyone would have laughed and said "what a stupid attempt, babcock is a tool." Then it would not have even gotten a 2nd thought. Everyone's looking for someone to blame because surely there is no logical reason why Hossa left. It's either because he is an a-hole or someone somehow cheated to get him.

Maybe Hossa didn't like Pittsburgh and playing with Crosby wasn't his cup of tea. Maybe he thought Crosby was too young and immature. Maybe he hated the city and the crappy weather. "No, that's impossible... everyone wants to play with Crosby! They cheated!"
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

therock48880 wrote:
Jesse wrote:Haha, so let me get this straight. If Pavel Datsyuk skates up to Sidney Crosby before the faceoff of a game and says, "Hey, you're pretty good. Come play for us".

That's tampering?

No. It isn't.

Tampering assumes negotiation. I doubt Babcock offered him a contract in the hand shake line.
Or what if at a celebrity golf tournament Crosby tells Gaborik that they'd be great teammates? Tampering? NNNOOOOO.

Crosby is a player; Babcock is a member of management. Big difference there.

"You should come to Detroit" sure sounds like the opening of a negotiation to me. And the final result sure makes it look like something worth investigating by the NHL. Just my opinion.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

bhaw wrote:it's all sour grapes... if hossa would have re-signed with the Pens and then someone came out and said that Babcock told him "you should come to detroit," everyone would have laughed and said "what a stupid attempt, babcock is a tool." Then it would not have even gotten a 2nd thought. Everyone's looking for someone to blame because surely there is no logical reason why Hossa left. It's either because he is an a-hole or someone somehow cheated to get him.

Maybe Hossa didn't like Pittsburgh and playing with Crosby wasn't his cup of tea. Maybe he thought Crosby was too young and immature. Maybe he hated the city and the crappy weather. "No, that's impossible... everyone wants to play with Crosby! They cheated!"
but...babcock is a tool
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by demondg1 »

I can't believe this thread is still going.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

JoseCuervo wrote:
but...babcock is a tool
On this I think we can ALL agree!

Okay, maybe he's not a tool... but he REALLY looks like one, doesn't he?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

therock48880 wrote:It sounds like Brian Burke is rubbing off on some people.
yup... it's the new "in" thing in hockey conspiracies so we gotta throw it around as much as possible.

hey, so are people over at lgw.com having a field day with this stupid thread?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

bhaw wrote:he is an a-hole
We've got a BINGO over here folks!

:D
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Tico Rick wrote:
therock48880 wrote:

That's tampering?

No. It isn't.

"You should come to Detroit" sure sounds like the opening of a negotiation to me. And the final result sure makes it look like something worth investigating by the NHL. Just my opinion.
Agreed. It's obvious he wasnt talking about coming to Detroit for any other reason. If it was just to visit the wonderful city of Detroit for its beauty and majesty, Hossa likely would have figured THAT aspect of it out with his three recent visits to Detroit surrounding games 1,2 and 5. You are not allowed to IMPLY anything of that nature. It's really that simple.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by therock48880 »

crzymike wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:
therock48880 wrote:

That's tampering?

No. It isn't.

Agreed. It's obvious he wasnt talking about coming to Detroit for any other reason. If it was just to visit the wonderful city of Detroit for its beauty and majesty, Hossa likely would have figured THAT aspect of it out with his three recent visits to Detroit surrounding games 1,2 and 5. You are not allowed to IMPLY anything of that nature. It's really that simple.
Babcock has no more to do with contract negotiations that any player does. It's not like Holland, Yzerman, or Devallano said that to Hossa.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

therock48880 wrote:

That's tampering?

No. It isn't.

One is a player, the other is a management member of an organization. There is a difference. The thread goes on.