Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Daniel87 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Biff83 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Biff83 wrote:I never thought I would live to see the day when a pro athlete would snub his nose at a 52 million dollar multi year deal playing on a team loaded with talent to sign a one year deal for less. I'm in shock! Pure shock!
sure there is risk...but he can get that whole "win a cup" thing over with, increase his value...and get locked up to a bad team and laugh all the way to the bank.

at the end of the day, he's taking on a lot of risk to win a cup...and that is his call, he thought DET has the best shot to win the cup and he's 100% correct.

All this talk about "something special" in Pittsburgh is foolish. The team that just lost in the finals lost 6 players, while the champs have lost nothing and are adding one of the best forwards in the game to their already stacked roster. Goaltending is the wings only true Achilles heel if they stay healthy...he wants as close to a sure thing as you can get in the NHL and he got it

Thats alot of jack he left on the table, the pens will be cup contenders for the next several years, and there is no guarantee detroit will win again next year, the west is a tough conference. Not to mention he can suffer a career ending injury, I think he made a big mistake.
Detroit's Top 6 Forwards:
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Hossa-Franzen-Cleary?
I hate Detroit.
i think we all do
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:With Osgood in net, Detroit is a gamble. Short of him failing, I can't imagine a scenario not involving injury that leads to Detroit not repeating, but I still think that with the way he was starting to mesh with Sid he was the missing link here. Time will tell which team was the right one.
He's an elite winger, there is no reason he won't mesh just as easily with Zetterberg/Datsyuk or whoever...
Agreed, I think he'll fit well with Datsyuk, I just think he might have been the scale tipper here. Now he just makes the wings as close to invulnerable as a capped team can get if they get goaltending from CO
With their D...and their unbelievably talented two way forwards...Osgood shouldn't really ever have to stand on his head.
exactly, and he doesn't have to. No matter who the wings put in net, you have to get to him with quality chances, something the Wings give you very few of because they control the puck and game so well.

What is incredible about the Wings is that they just won a Cup and aren't losing anyone, having to give huge raises out, and actually manage to acquire Hossa. Talk about an exceptionally well-run franchise and the payoff for it.

Anyway, the 1993 Pens and 2007 Patriots are great lessons in what can happen to the anointed on their way to the coronation, but there's no doubt the Wings were already great and are now even better.

Brad
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Come on folks, Detroit was a machine before Hossa, now?

Lets all hope that we win the Cup and the Wings are eliminated in round 1...bitter sweet.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Doogs wrote:Come on folks, Detroit was a machine before Hossa, now?

Lets all hope that we win the Cup and the Wings are eliminated in round 1...bitter sweet.
total pipe dream...but if we beat them in the finals...the expressions on faces of Sid/Geno/etc. would be hilarious shaking Hoss's hand
We Want The CUP!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by We Want The CUP! »

LdubsRoot23 wrote:
We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:With Osgood in net, Detroit is a gamble. Short of him failing, I can't imagine a scenario not involving injury that leads to Detroit not repeating, but I still think that with the way he was starting to mesh with Sid he was the missing link here. Time will tell which team was the right one.
He's an elite winger, there is no reason he won't mesh just as easily with Zetterberg/Datsyuk or whoever...
He was not elite in 07-08 regular season & he's not getting any younger or more durable. And as good as those Wings are, no one is going to set him up the way Sid would/did in the playoffs.
Last year is pretty terrible to reference...he played on the Thrashers most of the year, and got hurt right when we got him.

Take off those black and gold shades...Dats or Z will set him up just fine.
OK, first of all, he was on the Thrashers for 3 years & arguably the drop off in Hossa's play last season (-14!) was a big factor in ATL's sudden demise. As far as Det, I don't think he plays much on the Dats/Z line & may even get lost among all of their superstars.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
He was not elite in 07-08 regular season & he's not getting any younger or more durable. And as good as those Wings are, no one is going to set him up the way Sid would/did in the playoffs.
Last year is pretty terrible to reference...he played on the Thrashers most of the year, and got hurt right when we got him.

OK, first of all, he was on the Thrashers for 3 years & arguably the drop off in Hossa's play last season (-14!) was a big factor in ATL's sudden demise. As far as Det, I don't think he plays much on the Dats/Z line & may even get lost among all of their superstars.
step 1 is accepting you have a problem...

first, the thrashers were bad because they had 2-3 good players and no defense.

and thinking that Hossa will "get lost" playing with that kind of talent...one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Since we are all done with Hossa now. Lets get a new poll up on the home page. I love voting in them, why I'm not sure..

If asked politely enough, I could possibly volunteer to come up with weekly poll questions :D
Rimbaud16

Post by Rimbaud16 »

Can we just drop the Hossa discussion. He wasn't really a Pen and once the season starts, he'll be a distant memory. He is the stain on the blue dress after a one night stand. Who cares. Screw'em.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Rimbaud16 wrote:Can we just drop the Hossa discussion. He wasn't really a Pen and once the season starts, he'll be a distant memory. He is the stain on the blue dress after a one night stand. Who cares. Screw'em.
I agree with your premise but for me it's just not that easy. If he struggled in the playoffs this would be easier to take. If he doesnt want to be here there is nothing we can do, well other then vent our frustrations. That diving play in the Ranger game, the OT goal, that magnificient goal in Philly just over the blueline, the relentless pick pocket and never say die mentality on every play. He impressed the hell out of me and now we got Satan. :shock:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - M.Hossa
will probably be the best in league...

But 20 pages for this post ,common people..
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

So.....in the event of attempting to chastise people for keeping this discussion and thread going... people....uh.... post in the thread, hence continuing it. Nice! :D

Given all the circumstances, people are going to be pissed off for a while. He was a part of a team that goes all the way to the finals, the first time for us in 16 years. And instead of saying, "hey, there is unfinished business, I'm on board here, let's get them next year" -- he goes and joins the team that beat us. Sure, he wants to win a Cup. But so do a lot of players. There are no guarantees in hockey. And what he did just looks cheap. He is obviously not much of a team player and lacks the same character as other star players around the NHL willing to be part of building champion teams. If Detroit has a playoff exit or finals loss next year (and YES, it IS possible, contrary to popular belief) -- I wouldn't be surprised to see him bail there, too.

"Detroit has something special" my ass. It's not like we don't, and it's not like our Cup run this spring was just something meaningless or pointless because we didn't win it all. What he did was a big slap to the face of the Penguins. So let's not be surprised this discussion has lasted as long as it has.

No worries, amidst much ********, fans will move on. And we should move on. Some probably have already. But a lot will be pretty pissed off for a while.

So anyway. Uh. Moving on. :)
Last edited by littlemoonboot on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:

Seriously give it a rest.

He¨d thrive among the superstars here but get lost among the superstars in Det? Oook.

It sucks for us but Hossa pulled a smart move.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

He pulled a real jerk move, that's for sure. How smart it turns out to be remains to be seen.

LMAO
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

crzymike wrote:
Rimbaud16 wrote:Can we just drop the Hossa discussion. He wasn't really a Pen and once the season starts, he'll be a distant memory. He is the stain on the blue dress after a one night stand. Who cares. Screw'em.
I agree with your premise but for me it's just not that easy. If he struggled in the playoffs this would be easier to take. If he doesnt want to be here there is nothing we can do, well other then vent our frustrations. That diving play in the Ranger game, the OT goal, that magnificient goal in Philly just over the blueline, the relentless pick pocket and never say die mentality on every play. He impressed the hell out of me and now we got Satan. :shock:
You do remember he knew he was gonna be a free agent. Doing it 1 playoff year is not enough at least in my book.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

He slapped us in the face. Lets move on.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Post by PenguinHockeyFanatic »

littlemoonboot wrote:He pulled a real jerk move, that's for sure. How smart it turns out to be remains to be seen.

LMAO
LOL ahhh that was a great way to start the day.

It's mostly funny because somebody actually bought a Hossa jersey.
We Want The CUP!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by We Want The CUP! »

André wrote:
We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote: He's an elite winger, there is no reason he won't mesh just as easily with Zetterberg/Datsyuk or whoever...

Seriously give it a rest.

He¨d thrive among the superstars here but get lost among the superstars in Det? Oook.

It sucks for us but Hossa pulled a smart move.

How's it a smart move to go to the best team for 1 year for $7.4 mill instead of the 2nd or 3rd best team for ~$7.4 mill per year for 7 years? He can get lost on Det because they are deeper at the top, they don't need him, & are not dealing with "only" 2 superstars on seperate lines like the Pens.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ginger »

I just keep thinking about my good friend in Pittsburgh who only bought his jersey the weekend before last. She was so excited about having him on the team & finally bought his jersey.
You wanna talk injustice? :(
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by heshootsandscores »

Sorry to see him leave, but glad to see him gone if he doesn't want to be here....hope we kick his collective butt this year...
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by WWGRD »

He's a backstabber..

He's going to pull his groin against us next year

And it will be great
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

heshootsandscores wrote:Sorry to see him leave, but glad to see him gone if he doesn't want to be here....
Exactly. We'll take the players that DO want to be here, and I'm excited for them. Go Pens. :)
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Three Stars wrote:

:lol: those were great!
Nothing like burnt offerrings as we add Satan to the pens.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

littlemoonboot wrote:
heshootsandscores wrote:Sorry to see him leave, but glad to see him gone if he doesn't want to be here....
Exactly. We'll take the players that DO want to be here, and I'm excited for them. Go Pens. :)
Hossa is now in the same boat as Ray Bourqe and Deion Sanders. Great players who eventually turned into free-loaders on existing strong teams. As much as it hurts to mention Bourque next to Sanders, the concept is the same. I was pretty disgusted when Bourque went to Col to free load a Cup, but because he put in all that time on non Cup Bos teams, I cut him some slack; but the fact remained that he - really, with Bos management's understanding and assistance - freeloaded and his rep took a hit in my eyes.

Sanders is/was a show-boating pos who strictly went where the winning was. I loathed him for it.

Nice guy or not, loaded with talent or not, vet or not, freeloading is freeloading. Doesn't mean I don't think guys can go and do whatever they want, but what they do has baggage. I liked when Hossa thought of the Pens as winners and he wanted to come here at the deadline. That he didn't want to stay stung.

Hossa is a freeloader.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Not that it matters at all, but they are having a field day with all of this on the LGW.com site. They are calling us babies and more. Jealous is another word being thrown around.
:shock: