Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

cs6687 wrote:
KG wrote:
cs6687 wrote:From Rossi's blog:

The Penguins have indeed moved on, but several players tell us they still believe Hossa wanted to return. This is consistent with what we were told by players three weeks ago -- that Hossa was expressing optimism to them he would come back.

To quote one player: "Everybody on our team knows what screwed this up -- it wasn't Marian and it wasn't (general manager Ray Shero)."
MT or Mario it must be...Who knows...But why is it that every day we have to defend Therien? if there is something to this, it does need to be addressed.
It's not Therrien or Mario. It's Rich Winter, his agent.
rich Winter was probably screaming for him to sign in Edmonton. The last thing he wanted was that guaranteed 91 mil all risked due to a one year deal.

Brad
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

bill from turtle creek wrote:
KG wrote:

The Penguins have indeed moved on, but several players tell us they still believe Hossa wanted to return. This is consistent with what we were told by players three weeks ago -- that Hossa was expressing optimism to them he would come back.

To quote one player: "Everybody on our team knows what screwed this up -- it wasn't Marian and it wasn't (general manager Ray Shero)."
MT or Mario it must be...Who knows...But why is it that every day we have to defend Therien? if there is something to this, it does need to be addressed.
More reflex MT hate that is without merit. Obviously they are talking about his agent. How on God's earth could Hossa have anything against Hossa? He played with Crosby, played on the first PP, killed penalties, and was on the ice at the end of close games.

The anti-MT stuff is getting way too old. Even Orpik himself, the alleged #1 MT hater, said today that he had no problem with MT. If Orpik doesn't, nobody on LGP should, either.
No offense. But for you to think that Winter advised Hossa to take a 1 year deal at a discounted rate is crazy. Winter gets paid more, the more Hossa gets paid...I am not saying it's MT. All I'm saying is there might be something to it.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

pronovost19 wrote:
Draftnik wrote:As a fan I think Hossa's decision seems logical if the 09 Cup is his primary motivation. Detroit does have a better chance to win the Cup next season than any other team. I'd like to see him fail, but I don't harbor any animosity towards him.

What sucks is he was here for a few months and went through the hockey wars with 87, 71, 55, and the other boys in the room. He wasn't a long time teammate, but that type of playoff run brings a team together. The Pens players and organIzation must feel a massive sense of betrayal from a guy they thought wanted to be part of what they have here. If Hossa would have gone for the $$$ I doubt anybody in the organIzation would have been upset.
What seems logical to me is that if Hossa really wanted a cup, he would not have been AWOL during the Ottawa's years...the guy was a virtual no show...he did nothing in Atlantas short four and out also...his remarks today should fire up malkin and Crosby...he pretty much decided that those two cannot win a cup together...he wants a cup...but his is no ray borque in my eyes
I agree. Hossa turtled many years in the playoffs. Maybe he feels less pressure and can play with more courage as the #3 guy. Who knows?
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

KG wrote:
KG wrote:

More reflex MT hate that is without merit. Obviously they are talking about his agent. How on God's earth could Hossa have anything against Hossa? He played with Crosby, played on the first PP, killed penalties, and was on the ice at the end of close games.

The anti-MT stuff is getting way too old. Even Orpik himself, the alleged #1 MT hater, said today that he had no problem with MT. If Orpik doesn't, nobody on LGP should, either.
No offense. But for you to think that Winter advised Hossa to take a 1 year deal at a discounted rate is crazy. Winter gets paid more, the more Hossa gets paid...I am not saying it's MT. All I'm saying is there might be something to it.
It's not Therrien. Get off that bandwagon. Shero's offer was the best on the market for Hossa when everything is taken into account. Winter couldn't stand it that Shero made a fair offer and Shero's comments 10 days ago would have been proven right if Hossa stayed. It was a ego-pissing contest to Winter, and he couldn't stand to have Hossa stay in Pittsburgh.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

cs6687 wrote:
KG wrote:
KG wrote:

It's not Therrien. Get off that bandwagon. Shero's offer was the best on the market for Hossa when everything is taken into account. Winter couldn't stand it that Shero made a fair offer and Shero's comments 10 days ago would have been proven right if Hossa stayed. It was a ego-pissing contest to Winter, and he couldn't stand to have Hossa stay in Pittsburgh.
We'll we agree to disagree on this one. I think you are giving Hossa's agent, the person that works for Hossa, to much power in making a deicsion of where to play....

I think your best argument is that Winter told Hossa, go to Detroit for 1 year, have a big year, a bigger playoff, hopefully win your cup and then we can sign with Edmonton for 9 years $81MM next year
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

cs6687 wrote:It's not Therrien. Get off that bandwagon. Shero's offer was the best on the market for Hossa when everything is taken into account. Winter couldn't stand it that Shero made a fair offer and Shero would have been right if Hossa stayed. It was a ego-pissing contest to Winter, and he couldn't stand to have Hossa stay in Pittsburgh.
Hossa is an alleged zombie drone controlled by Rich Winter? That seems highly unlikely IMO. The NHLPA is probably trying to see if they can decertify Winter as a player agent because Hossa took this deal.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Daniel87 »

It would be an interesting Finals next year if Pit/Det met again. Hopefully that happens and Hossa loses again.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Pipes Hochuli wrote:My question is, what exactly did Hossa lie about?
From Rossi's blog: "Penguins ownership and management is bitterly disappointed by Hossa’s decision. They believed they would land Hossa to the end, based off conversations with Hossa himself."

Hossa had the right to change his mind, but he clearly strung them along.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Hossa wanted more than $7.5M for 1 season but when Holland told him he promised Lidstrom he would be the highest paid Redwing, Hossa agreed to take $7.4M rather than make Holland call Lidstrom to see if it was OK to break the promise.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by superconan »

Daniel87 wrote:It would be an interesting Finals next year if Pit/Det met again. Hopefully that happens and Hossa loses again.
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

It's a kick to the pills to Sid and the team really, the commentators on NHL Live were floored that he walked away for a one year deal, and I can't say I understand why he thought a one year deal in Detroit would give him more chance of winning a cup than a seven here. I don't understand the logic but in the end he knows what he was thinking. It hurts, I still withheld hope, but time to move on.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Biff83 wrote:I never thought I would live to see the day when a pro athlete would snub his nose at a 52 million dollar multi year deal playing on a team loaded with talent to sign a one year deal for less. I'm in shock! Pure shock!
sure there is risk...but he can get that whole "win a cup" thing over with, increase his value...and get locked up to a bad team and laugh all the way to the bank.

at the end of the day, he's taking on a lot of risk to win a cup...and that is his call, he thought DET has the best shot to win the cup and he's 100% correct.

All this talk about "something special" in Pittsburgh is foolish. The team that just lost in the finals lost 6 players, while the champs have lost nothing and are adding one of the best forwards in the game to their already stacked roster. Goaltending is the wings only true Achilles heel if they stay healthy...he wants as close to a sure thing as you can get in the NHL and he got it
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Also the anger over him taking less than we were offering and going elsewhere is equally absurd. Weren't we asking him to take less money/years to be with a team with a better chance at winning?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Samsdog wrote:I can't say I understand why he thought a one year deal in Detroit would give him more chance of winning a cup than a seven here.
It certainly gives him a better chance of winning one right away so that he can get the "can't win a Cup" monkey off his back and then as quickly as possible snag himself a sweet $10 million/year deal with some pretender.

This is still mostly about money as far as Hossa is concerned. He wants to shut his critics up as quickly as possible and then cash out and enjoy the ride.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

With Osgood in net, Detroit is a gamble. Short of him failing, I can't imagine a scenario not involving injury that leads to Detroit not repeating, but I still think that with the way he was starting to mesh with Sid he was the missing link here. Time will tell which team was the right one.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Biff83 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Biff83 wrote:I never thought I would live to see the day when a pro athlete would snub his nose at a 52 million dollar multi year deal playing on a team loaded with talent to sign a one year deal for less. I'm in shock! Pure shock!
sure there is risk...but he can get that whole "win a cup" thing over with, increase his value...and get locked up to a bad team and laugh all the way to the bank.

at the end of the day, he's taking on a lot of risk to win a cup...and that is his call, he thought DET has the best shot to win the cup and he's 100% correct.

All this talk about "something special" in Pittsburgh is foolish. The team that just lost in the finals lost 6 players, while the champs have lost nothing and are adding one of the best forwards in the game to their already stacked roster. Goaltending is the wings only true Achilles heel if they stay healthy...he wants as close to a sure thing as you can get in the NHL and he got it

Thats alot of jack he left on the table, the pens will be cup contenders for the next several years, and there is no guarantee detroit will win again next year, the west is a tough conference. Not to mention he can suffer a career ending injury, I think he made a big mistake.
Detroit's Top 6 Forwards:
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Hossa-Franzen-Cleary?

Our Top 6 Forwards:
???-Sid-???
???-Geno-Sykie

I think cup contenders this season is a stretch until we actually get some talent in there, and even if we get Jagr/Naslund/etc., we still won't have the talent the wings have on offense or defense
We Want The CUP!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by We Want The CUP! »

And he's not exactly a spring chicken. He'll be 30 next season but an old 30 with 10+ years of mileage on them tires.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Samsdog wrote:With Osgood in net, Detroit is a gamble. Short of him failing, I can't imagine a scenario not involving injury that leads to Detroit not repeating, but I still think that with the way he was starting to mesh with Sid he was the missing link here. Time will tell which team was the right one.
He's an elite winger, there is no reason he won't mesh just as easily with Zetterberg/Datsyuk or whoever...
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

We Want The CUP! wrote:And he's not exactly a spring chicken. He'll be 30 next season but an old 30 with 10+ years of mileage on them tires.
haha, He's in his physical/mental prime...now you're just being ridiculous

if you are happy that we now have more cap flexibility, or whatever, that's fine...but don't say that Hoss is in decline physically
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:With Osgood in net, Detroit is a gamble. Short of him failing, I can't imagine a scenario not involving injury that leads to Detroit not repeating, but I still think that with the way he was starting to mesh with Sid he was the missing link here. Time will tell which team was the right one.
He's an elite winger, there is no reason he won't mesh just as easily with Zetterberg/Datsyuk or whoever...
Agreed, I think he'll fit well with Datsyuk, I just think he might have been the scale tipper here. Now he just makes the wings as close to invulnerable as a capped team can get if they get goaltending from CO
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Biff83 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
We Want The CUP! wrote:And he's not exactly a spring chicken. He'll be 30 next season but an old 30 with 10+ years of mileage on them tires.
haha, He's in his physical/mental prime...now you're just being ridiculous

if you are happy that we now have more cap flexibility, or whatever, that's fine...but don't say that Hoss is in decline physically

He's still an idiot for leaving that much money on the table and taking a one year deal. Crosby is the best player in the world to be a winger for anyways thats just my opinion.
With Datsyuk, Z, and Hossa...they have the three best two-way forwards who also can fill the net. Sid is a great winger to play for, but the Wings have more talent on both sides of the ice...the only clear advantage we have is in net.

If Hossa doesn't get hurt and produces...he'll just get a bigger deal next year...assuming the cap goes up a bit.
We Want The CUP!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by We Want The CUP! »

LdubsRoot23 wrote:
He was not elite in 07-08 regular season & he's not getting any younger or more durable. And as good as those Wings are, no one is going to set him up the way Sid would/did in the playoffs.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

Samsdog wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Agreed, I think he'll fit well with Datsyuk, I just think he might have been the scale tipper here. Now he just makes the wings as close to invulnerable as a capped team can get if they get goaltending from CO
With their D...and their unbelievably talented two way forwards...Osgood shouldn't really ever have to stand on his head.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Daniel87 »

LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Biff83 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:

Thats alot of jack he left on the table, the pens will be cup contenders for the next several years, and there is no guarantee detroit will win again next year, the west is a tough conference. Not to mention he can suffer a career ending injury, I think he made a big mistake.
Detroit's Top 6 Forwards:
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Hossa-Franzen-Cleary?
I hate Detroit.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

We Want The CUP! wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:
He was not elite in 07-08 regular season & he's not getting any younger or more durable. And as good as those Wings are, no one is going to set him up the way Sid would/did in the playoffs.
Last year is pretty terrible to reference...he played on the Thrashers most of the year, and got hurt right when we got him.

Take off those black and gold shades...Dats or Z will set him up just fine.