Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

meecrofilm wrote:
Steve wrote:
knives of ice wrote:he's going to get his best chance to win a cup with detroit next year and THEN he can sign for 9 million per year with a dumbass team like edmonton.

anyone who doesn't think the wings have the best chance to win next year is insane. they are far and away the favorite they have lost nothing and gained hossa
Absolutely a great signing for the Wings, unfortunately. They were already the favorites, they are going to have the closest thing to an all star team next season - one that plays/practices together all year.

A big risk for Hossa too. He's not going to see 9 million dollar offers as a 30 year old coming off a serious injury (if that happens)...But then again, if that happens, then the Wings may be able to sign him beyond next season...
After next year, Wings have to sign Zetterberg. And a legitimate goaltender.
definately agreed - very unlikely that he's there after this season. Of course, stranger things have happened. (i.e. Hossa signing a one year deal today)
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Who is to say Hossa doesn't go back to his sucking ways in the playoffs next season?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

It also gets brushed aside that Hossa only had 63 points last season. This wouldn't be the first time a team seems loaded at this point but doesn't live up to expectations in the regular season.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Very true. Hossa had a bad regular season. I'd like to see Vancouver launch an offer sheet at Val Filpulla
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Draftnik wrote:Who is to say Hossa doesn't go back to his sucking ways in the playoffs next season?
That is now what we are all hoping for. Unfortunately, he will be playing for another contract.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

There hasnt been a repeat champion this decade. Maybe Hossa should have considered that.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

farnham16 wrote:There hasnt been a repeat champion this decade. Maybe Hossa should have considered that.
He considered the fact that at the moment he'd be playing on the clear favorite. I am sick about this but he does have a good chance with the Wings.
Last edited by crzymike on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Pipes Hochuli wrote:My question is, what exactly did Hossa lie about?
Who knows? I didn't hear any lies. He and his agent said he'd take "less" to play for a contender and that's exactly what happened. For some reason, people assumed that the only serious contender offering less would be the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I think some are just really steamed that he thinks Detroit has a better chance of winning the Cup next year than the Penguins do and Hossa himself can be one of the reasons.

He's made his decision and life goes on. Everyone knew that it was a very realistic possibility that he and Malone both might not be back and that happened. It's not like ideal replacements were available and signed for either Hossa or Malone yesterday or today either. RS waiting on Hossa to decide cost the Pens what exactly?

Brad
Last edited by brwi on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Pitts wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Who is to say Hossa doesn't go back to his sucking ways in the playoffs next season?
That is now what we are all hoping for. Unfortunately, he will be playing for another contract.
Excellent point.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Playing on such a talented team like Detroit? Not very likely, as painful as it is to admit. He's going to have guys setting him up left and right there unless they get hit with a couple of key injuries.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

As a fan I think Hossa's decision seems logical if the 09 Cup is his primary motivation. Detroit does have a better chance to win the Cup next season than any other team. I'd like to see him fail, but I don't harbor any animosity towards him.

What sucks is he was here for a few months and went through the hockey wars with 87, 71, 55, and the other boys in the room. He wasn't a long time teammate, but that type of playoff run brings a team together. The Pens players and organIzation must feel a massive sense of betrayal from a guy they thought wanted to be part of what they have here. If Hossa would have gone for the $$$ I doubt anybody in the organIzation would have been upset.
We Want The CUP!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by We Want The CUP! »

He's lying to himself. I've lost all respect for Hossa. I want to win the cup, but rather than helping a very good team get over the hump so I can hoist that thing knowing I made the difference, I'll just go to the best team in the league & hope I don't screw it up.

Gimme a break.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Hossa is taking a big risk. If Edmonton really offered him a $60M+ deal, the cost for Hossa to insure himself for that amount against an injury next season would cost him millions of $$$ IMO.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

...man i was upset with the hossa news, but there is alot of venom on here...actually, i luv it!!... :twisted:
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

From Rossi's blog:

The Penguins have indeed moved on, but several players tell us they still believe Hossa wanted to return. This is consistent with what we were told by players three weeks ago -- that Hossa was expressing optimism to them he would come back.

To quote one player: "Everybody on our team knows what screwed this up -- it wasn't Marian and it wasn't (general manager Ray Shero)."
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

What could Shero screw up? If you look at the $7.4M for 1 season that says it all. Holland said Hossa proposed the 1 year deal to Detroit so even if Shero didn't offer that option, Hossa would have proposed it if he wanted to play here. This has nothing at all to do with Shero.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

brwi wrote:RS waiting on Hossa to decide cost the Pens what exactly?

Brad
You don't consider signing a possible combination of guys like Ryder, Rolston, Vrbata, or Stillman who are all off the market now viable options to resigning Hossa? Maybe not quite as good, but better than what we might end up with now after waiting too long to hear from The Traitor for his decision.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

cs6687 wrote:From Rossi's blog:

The Penguins have indeed moved on, but several players tell us they still believe Hossa wanted to return. This is consistent with what we were told by players three weeks ago -- that Hossa was expressing optimism to them he would come back.

To quote one player: "Everybody on our team knows what screwed this up -- it wasn't Marian and it wasn't (general manager Ray Shero)."
MT or Mario it must be...Who knows...But why is it that every day we have to defend Therien? if there is something to this, it does need to be addressed.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

KG wrote:

MT or Mario it must be...Who knows...But why is it that every day we have to defend Therien? if there is something to this, it does need to be addressed.
It's not Therrien or Mario. It's Rich Winter, his agent.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Draftnik wrote:As a fan I think Hossa's decision seems logical if the 09 Cup is his primary motivation. Detroit does have a better chance to win the Cup next season than any other team. I'd like to see him fail, but I don't harbor any animosity towards him.

What sucks is he was here for a few months and went through the hockey wars with 87, 71, 55, and the other boys in the room. He wasn't a long time teammate, but that type of playoff run brings a team together. The Pens players and organIzation must feel a massive sense of betrayal from a guy they thought wanted to be part of what they have here. If Hossa would have gone for the $$$ I doubt anybody in the organIzation would have been upset.
What seems logical to me is that if Hossa really wanted a cup, he would not have been AWOL during the Ottawa's years...the guy was a virtual no show...he did nothing in Atlantas short four and out also...his remarks today should fire up malkin and Crosby...he pretty much decided that those two cannot win a cup together...he wants a cup...but his is no ray borque in my eyes
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

cs6687 wrote:
KG wrote:

It's not Therrien or Mario. It's Rich Winter, his agent.
Rich winter gets paid a % of Hossa's contract. I think it is 3%. Any way you slice it Rich Winter wanted Hossa to take the most $$$ because that is how Rich Winter gets the most $$$. Only a player would make the decision to take such a monumental risk that Hossa is taking. Agents have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize $$$ and minimize risk.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by scpensfan »

The only thing I'll say before closing the book on Hossa ...

They better hope they can keep Lidstrom healthy.
They better hope Osgodd doesn't crash to earth.

Becuase they're the overwhelming favorite ... right now. But either of those things would leave them WILDLY vulnerable.
We Want The CUP!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by We Want The CUP! »

Draftnik wrote:Hossa is taking a big risk. If Edmonton really offered him a $60M+ deal, the cost for Hossa to insure himself for that amount against an injury next season would cost him millions of $$$ IMO.

He's taking a huge risk. And the way FSN framed it was classic. Rob said something like - "The Pens offered Hossa a little over $7 mill per year for 7 years, but Hossa signed a 1 year deal for a little over $7 mill to play for the Redwings."

It's absolutely ludicrous.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

penscup wrote:
brwi wrote:RS waiting on Hossa to decide cost the Pens what exactly?

Brad
You don't consider signing a possible combination of guys like Ryder, Rolston, Vrbata, or Stillman who are all off the market now viable options to resigning Hossa? Maybe not quite as good, but better than what we might end up with now after waiting too long to hear from The Traitor for his decision.
I think Rolston was the best of that group and would have fit in well, but there was a lot of competition and NJ had an edge even with the big money being the same. There are a lot of one-dimensional forwards out there on the market right now, none of whom are going to make people think Hossa or Malone and reaching deep into the wallet to over-pay won't help. They'll still be soff and one-way guys like Ryder.

Whether intended or not, patience has been the best course of action, even though the Hossa ordeal didn't work out.

Brad
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bill from turtle creek »

KG wrote:

More reflex MT hate that is without merit. Obviously they are talking about his agent. How on God's earth could Hossa have anything against Hossa? He played with Crosby, played on the first PP, killed penalties, and was on the ice at the end of close games.

The anti-MT stuff is getting way too old. Even Orpik himself, the alleged #1 MT hater, said today that he had no problem with MT. If Orpik doesn't, nobody on LGP should, either.