Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
TheWizardOfCros

Post by TheWizardOfCros »

Henry Hank wrote:
jay_caufield wrote:What I don't get about Hossa is this. I understand he wants to win a cup, he proved it by leaving money on the table. My question is why trade 7 chances with 2 guys who are going to be the best 2 players in the game for the next 7 years for 1 chance with the red wings?

Next year neither the Pens or Red Wings will sign this guy, and its uncertain any other contending team will be strong enough still to beat the Pens and Wings... sure they may be out there, but hwo many can give Hossa that payday.. or is he going to keep taking 1 year chances with the best team availiable? Seems odd.... oh well. Free Candy...
He wants to have his cake and eat it. He thinks he has a great chance to win the Cup this coming season and then he can cash out wherever. As a Pens fan, I hope it crashes and burns right in his face. I hope the Pens personally crush that dream and he never comes close to sniffing the Cup again.
++++++++++1
PenguinMan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PenguinMan »

no he doesn't care about no cups, he signed a 1 year contract with a high powered offensive team to stack his stats further thus set himself up for a huge contract after next season.
I'd just like to know however if Shero did or would have offered him a 1 yr contract.

having said all that, nothing would be sweeter than a quick first round exit in the playoffs handed to them by the No8 seed, with zero goals from Hossa, wonder if he would still get a huge contract
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

We almost screwed ourselves over on waiting on Hossa and if it was any later there would be no other good forward FAs out there.

He went to my most hated team and now he's one of my most hated players.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bill from turtle creek »

SolidSnake wrote:We almost screwed ourselves over on waiting on Hossa and if it was any later there would be no other good forward FAs out there.

I said in another thread that Shero looked pretty pissed when Hossa's name came up in the presser today. Plus, XM204 said that a lot of the Pens are not happy with Hossa right now. I sense that he must have led them on and used them.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

TheWizardOfCros wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
jay_caufield wrote:What I don't get about Hossa is this. I understand he wants to win a cup, he proved it by leaving money on the table. My question is why trade 7 chances with 2 guys who are going to be the best 2 players in the game for the next 7 years for 1 chance with the red wings?

Next year neither the Pens or Red Wings will sign this guy, and its uncertain any other contending team will be strong enough still to beat the Pens and Wings... sure they may be out there, but hwo many can give Hossa that payday.. or is he going to keep taking 1 year chances with the best team availiable? Seems odd.... oh well. Free Candy...
He wants to have his cake and eat it. He thinks he has a great chance to win the Cup this coming season and then he can cash out wherever. As a Pens fan, I hope it crashes and burns right in his face. I hope the Pens personally crush that dream and he never comes close to sniffing the Cup again.
++++++++++1
Not only that....what do you think it says about his respect level for Malkin and Crosby...he is basically elling them they cannot win a cup...deep down...knowing sidney crosby....that comment hossa made today will drive him even more...if you are malkin or crosby...that comment really has to burn...but hossa is good at creating cesspools in his wake...just ask any atlanta or ottawa teammates what they think about him
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Hmm. Imagine Hossa signing a one year deal with the top contender with space year after year. He could play like five straight finals :P

It sucks that something like that could actually be pulled off.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

bill from turtle creek wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:We almost screwed ourselves over on waiting on Hossa and if it was any later there would be no other good forward FAs out there.

I said in another thread that Shero looked pretty pissed when Hossa's name came up in the presser today. Plus, XM204 said that a lot of the Pens are not happy with Hossa right now. I sense that he must have led them on and used them.
100% agreed bill he played us like a cheap fiddle and I hope he has the worst season of his career.
Seattle-Pens-fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Seattle-Pens-fan »

Killiecrankie wrote:He played the penguins like a fiddle, everyone should be mad at him. Shero was obviously pissed.
I think he should be. Seems to me that this was very nearly a deliberate insult. Money was obviously not the factor, since the Pens would certainly have matched. Very deceptive, very dishonest. If he had no intention of remaining in Pittsburgh, and it's hard to believe that he ever did, then it wouldn't have hurt him in the least to have let RS know, right away. However, Hossa, or at least his agent, certainly made it seem that Pittsburgh was at the top of the list as far as places to play. To pull something like this though? You never want to burn bridges, and I'm pretty sure that Hossa would not later be welcomed back with open arms, at this point.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by midd »

Has anyone given the thought that Hossa may never lift the cup even if the Wings repeat?? With a one year deal, the Wings may be thinking of the return they can get for him at the trading deadline. Now that would be a nice slap in the face!

crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Seattle-Pens-fan wrote:
Killiecrankie wrote:He played the penguins like a fiddle, everyone should be mad at him. Shero was obviously pissed.
I think he should be. Seems to me that this was very nearly a deliberate insult. Money was obviously not the factor, since the Pens would certainly have matched. Very deceptive, very dishonest. If he had no intention of remaining in Pittsburgh, and it's hard to believe that he ever did, then it wouldn't have hurt him in the least to have let RS know, right away. However, Hossa, or at least his agent, certainly made it seem that Pittsburgh was at the top of the list as far as places to play. To pull something like this though? You never want to burn bridges, and I'm pretty sure that Hossa would not later be welcomed back with open arms, at this point.
He can go to hell!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Wouldn't Justice be served if:

Detroit (because of the one year deal) moved Hossa at the trade deadline and he doesnt get his name on the cup.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I can tell you right now that as much as I want to see the Pens lift the Cup, Hossa NOT winning one comes as a close second.
Seattle-Pens-fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Seattle-Pens-fan »

marek wrote:Wouldn't Justice be served if:

Detroit (because of the one year deal) moved Hossa at the trade deadline and he doesnt get his name on the cup.
Ahhhh, peotic justice... The player getting played. :)

That probably isn't so far fetched, cometo think of it. Detroit has any injury caused holes to fill next year, who really is the best candidate to use as trade bait to fill the hole?

In fact, I'm already thinking that Hossa to Atlanta for Recchi looks like a good move for Detroit. :twisted:
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Seattle-Pens-fan wrote:
marek wrote:Wouldn't Justice be served if:

Ahhhh, peotic justice... The player getting played. :)

That probably isn't so far fetched, cometo think of it. Detroit has any injury caused holes to fill next year, who really is the best candidate to use as trade bait to fill the hole?

In fact, I'm already thinking that Hossa to Atlanta for Recchi looks like a good move for Detroit. :twisted:
Detroit isnt gonna trade him under any circumstances. I know it's all in fun but come on. :wink:
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Honest question. What do you guys think was worse, this or Jagr's "dying alive"?
This is worse. Jagr was ungrateful, spoiled and dramatic. Not good qualities or behavior, but better (in my book) than being a liar.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Post by PenguinHockeyFanatic »

I'm offended that he thinks he has a better shot at winning the Cup there then here. With Malkin and STaal being only a combined 5 million cap hit next season, a one year 7.4 million deal would have allowed the Pens to sign Hossa easily and add even more long term talent.

I am completely surprised that he would even entertain a one year deal, which was why I didn't want any part of him coming back! But for one year at even 8 I would have loved to have him back. And for him to go to Detroit, that his some serious salt for him to be putting on Pens fans open wound.

The the posters who begged and pleaded for him to stay, that's what you get. And if I hear one person cry their bleeding heart out when I boo the living hell out of Hossa next season, I will laugh in your face. That man spit on Penguin fans, cold blooded, classless, jerk=Hossa.

I swear to God I will do ANYTHING to see the Pens beat the Wings in the finals next season. ANYTHING!!!!
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ginger »

littlemoonboot wrote:I can tell you right now that as much as I want to see the Pens lift the Cup, Hossa NOT winning one comes as a close second.
Ditto that! :D
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:I'm offended that he thinks he has a better shot at winning the Cup there then here.
You're offended he thought the intact cup winning team is the best team?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Henry Hank wrote:

I'm with you HH. same feeling exactly. Hossa mislead us all and I truly hope it is Crosby and Malkin that smash his dream.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

You're offended he thought the intact cup winning team is the best team?[/quote]

If he would have stuck around the pens would have had a great chance of winning the cup next year. The pens could have won it this year if it wasnt for a bad first two games.

Hossa got so close this year and came up short and he goes to the other team. Thats a slap in the face to everyone that he played with his year. Plus he wants to win it all and than cash in even more next year. He acts like he is retiring.[/quote]
Last edited by doublem on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Post by PenguinHockeyFanatic »

doublem wrote:You're offended he thought the intact cup winning team is the best team?
If he would have stuck around the pens would have had a great chance of winning the cup next year. The pens could have won it this year if it wasnt for a bad first two games.

Hossa got so close this year and came up short and he goes to the other team. Thats a slap in the face to everyone that he played with his year. Plus he wants to win it all and than cash in even more next year. He acts like he is retiring.[/quote][/quote]

If it wasn't for Sid he would still be nothing but a playoff choker, and this is the thanks he gets?
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:I'm offended that he thinks he has a better shot at winning the Cup there then here. With Malkin and STaal being only a combined 5 million cap hit next season, a one year 7.4 million deal would have allowed the Pens to sign Hossa easily and add even more long term talent.

I am completely surprised that he would even entertain a one year deal, which was why I didn't want any part of him coming back! But for one year at even 8 I would have loved to have him back. And for him to go to Detroit, that his some serious salt for him to be putting on Pens fans open wound.

The the posters who begged and pleaded for him to stay, that's what you get. And if I hear one person cry their bleeding heart out when I boo the living hell out of Hossa next season, I will laugh in your face. That man spit on Penguin fans, cold blooded, classless, jerk=Hossa.

I swear to God I will do ANYTHING to see the Pens beat the Wings in the finals next season. ANYTHING!!!!
LOL, I hear you. Jagr won us some Cups and had years of service to our team. I could understand people not liking the boobirds. But as far as HO-ssa is concerned, BOO away.

If the Wings don't win a cup I wouldn't be surprised to see him bolt them, too. He just seems like the kind to do just that. Maybe he'll just chase the cup winner every freaking year. So if he's back in the east or our division anytime soon, have at it, Pittsburgh. Make his visit to Pens territory a miserable hell.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ginger »

Durbano wrote:
Honest question. What do you guys think was worse, this or Jagr's "dying alive"?
This is worse. Jagr was ungrateful, spoiled and dramatic. Not good qualities or behavior, but better (in my book) than being a liar.
This is a deliberate thing. A bald-faced lie which left a lot of fans feeling it. Jagr was imo suffering from depression the year previous to him leaving the Pens. I have seen the symptoms in friends & his were classic. So it's hard to be angry at him. We can feel hurt for that year but he might not have been able to help how he was feeling y'know? He made the VERY bad mistake of expecting people to understand & made that one remark that will follow him the rest of his life in Pittsburgh - sad.
Having said that, he wasn't being dishonest - if anything he shot himself in the foot by being too honest. You are right, Hossa was a liar.

littlemoonboot says about tha same as I feel -
The whole thing pisses me off. I was under the impression that he really liked it here. Now I get the feeling that he never really wanted to play here in the first place.

I do realize that Hossa was a luxury -- we are fortunate to have the great guys that we do and life goes on. But the basic message of the whole thing I do think is kind of insulting.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

I just dont understand Hossa's logical if he stays with the pens for the contract they offered him he makes a good pay day and still has a chance to win a cup, many cups. He wants a cup but oblivious wants more money because that difference between the pens offer and the wings wasnt that much.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by JarkkoVision »

Obviously he didn't want to be in Pittsburgh for 7 years.