Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

bill from turtle creek wrote:
penny lane wrote:http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 3/SPORTS05
“I’m really happy to become Detroit Red Wing,â€￾ Hossa said. “It’s a big decision for me I have to make. When I look at it, I wanted to have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. I feel Detroit is the team. They’ve got a great team. I know I could get more money somewhere else, but I was looking for best chance to win Stanley Cup, and I think Detroit is that destination.â€￾
Sidney & Evgeni...all the pens left from game six, Marian left
you a motivational quote for 08-09 season.

Well, Hossa's right.
Yes he is and now we suffer. :(
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

If sidney crosby didn't need more motivation...................................Thank You Hossa
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PensBeerGeek »

crzymike wrote:
“I’m really happy to become Detroit Red Wing,â€￾ Hossa said. “It’s a big decision for me I have to make. When I look at it, I wanted to have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. I feel Detroit is the team. They’ve got a great team. I know I could get more money somewhere else, but I was looking for best chance to win Stanley Cup, and I think Detroit is that destination.â€￾
Unfortunately those sentiments and all the motivation in the world, doesn't bring back the best player we had IN the playoffs. :cry:
We've got the best player we had in the playoffs for 5 more years.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

PensBeerGeek wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Unfortunately those sentiments and all the motivation in the world, doesn't bring back the best player we had IN the playoffs. :cry:
You watch the finals?
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

PensBeerGeek wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Hossa's gone. Neither Sid nor Geno was our best player in the playoffs. Nope that honor goes to Marian Hossa ''the TRAITOR''!
Last edited by crzymike on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

newarenanow wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
element1286 wrote:
newarenanow wrote: A lot of people say Pittsburgh pretty crappy too. As for the big numbers, why wouldn't he do it in Detroit? As for winner, the Pens were the first loser, the Red Wings were the winner.
Yes, but I think the point is that a Cup contender was offering him a long-term deal. He would be able to have his cake and eat it too.
Maybe the Pens didn't offer him a NTC clause, and wanted to move him after this year to make cap room once Malkin's contract kick in. He wants to determine where he is going to play.

Don't know, just a theory.
And from what was being reported, we weren't offering him the amount that Detroit was offering.

Anyone else here feel like they're arguing against the wind? :lol:
I don't know, but some people are being real babies here. Things didn't go their way so now they are going to cry and bash Hossa. He took less money to play for a winner, exactly what he said. But now he is "lazy and still greedy". I assumed most people were grownups on this board.
Exactly. It's the jilted lover syndrome. He said it wasn't only about money and he proved it by doing the unthinkable and signing a 1 year deal to play with the Stanley Cup champs. I don't think the extra half mil had that much to do with it.

No one forced RS to wait on Hossa to decide and everyone knew when he was acquired that there was a good possibility he wouldn't re-sign. I guess the sting is that he didn't take the biggest money offer or a long-term deal but instead took the very best chance out there of winning the Cup, and he thinks that is Detroit and not Pittsburgh. He's right too on paper. As it stands right now, they are going to be the favorites as they haven't lost anyone and gained a LOT instead.

Brad
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Andy Strickland at hockeybuzz:

Hossa turned down 9 years $81MM from Edmonton...WOW
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

crzymike wrote:
Ginger wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

he chose the best team. the best team can only afford him for 1 year. there you have it.
Y'know, I knew he was going to go. From the moment we picked him up, in my mind he was a rented player. He saw an opportunity to go to the playoffs & win a championship, & he signed on to do that.

But what bothers me at this time is the crap about 'money not meaning a lot - playing with this Penguins team that he enjoyed so much - wanting to stay with them & willing to take less money to do it - blah, blah, blah blah, blah blah!

Where did all that go, huh, Marian? Somebody waves a wad of thousand dollar bills under your nose & to hell with the long term contract & the "team you want to stay with". You actually had me sucked in, too.

Well said Ginger. I literally feel sick, I got sucked in to a bit.
I agree with Ginger and Mike.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Hawkeynut »

Hossa wanted to get his cup out of the way now so he can sign that monster deal next summer.

I don't blame him one bit.

I have no idea what went on between the Pens management and the Hossa camp so I can't say that he screwed them or not.

Hossa did what Hossa was entitled to do.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

I don't buy all this "traitor" nonsense, but it does hurt that right after we lose to the Wings in the Finals, one of our best players is playing for them.

It's a little sickening.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
newarenanow wrote: I don't know, but some people are being real babies here. Things didn't go their way so now they are going to cry and bash Hossa. He took less money to play for a winner, exactly what he said. But now he is "lazy and still greedy". I assumed most people were grownups on this board.
I don't think he is lazy or greedy, however I do not respect him any longer. He had a chance to sign a long term deal with a very good team playing with the best center in the league, and he turned it down for a 1 year deal for a slightly better chance to win a cup. I would respect him more if he left for tons of money, rather than leaving for a lesser deal with the 1 team in the league that is better than the team he was currently on.
Agree with that also. I would respect him more if he just left for a huge contract.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

HeyNow71871929 wrote:There is no doubt in mind that two top flight wingers are now a must for this team. Getting Jagr appears to be a must at this point. There aren't many guys out there who can replace Hossa and his numbers. So Jagr and Naslund HAVE to be brought here by Shero. He's not going to overspend but if the proce is right, bring in Jagr and Naslund. Absolute must now, in my opinion.
Agree.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PensBeerGeek »

Corvidae wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:
crzymike wrote:
You watch the finals?
Sure did.

Sidney Crosby has 5 years left, if I recall.

Though maybe I should ask Marc-Andre Fleury's apologies for forgetting him, since he was the best player in the playoffs.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Sid and Malkin need linemates a lot more than any "motivation." 87 and 71 aren't the kind of half-motivated slackers that need to go out there and try and find some reason to get "fired up" to perform well.

what was Sid and Malkin's goal yesterday for the upcoming season? Win the Cup. What is their goal after Hossa left this morning? Win the Cup, though first it's probably to call RS and Mario to gently remind them that a couple of top-6 forwards would be really cool if someone could see how to get one :evil:

Brad
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Sarcastic wrote:I would respect him more if he just left for a huge contract.
wow
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I lost a lot of respect for Hossa today. First, he is not a man of his word (as some of you state). He is a liar. He said that we are number one on his list and that he'll be happy playing here. That was an obvious lie, because it seems he never really wanted to be here. He took the same money to play for another team. It's as simple as that.

I remember posting something during last season about him not really looking like he was part of the team. You saw other guys be part of the big group and act like it, and Hossa somehow always seemed "distant". Even in interviews, he never smiled or looked happy. He was cold and professional. He was saying the right things, but that's about it.

The wings are not resigning him next year, so he is a hired guy for the season. I don't really blame him for that, but that means he is selfish. He goes to Detroit as a mercenary. If he wins the cup with them this year, it will feel very empty, IMO. How much more meaningful would it be if he stayed with us and worked hard over the next 2 or 3 years and finally won it in Pittsburgh? Really became part of a group. He took the cheap way of doing it and I hope it blows up in his face. I cannot respect him for that.

Second, it is a risk on his part, considering his knees. I hope he holds up, but think back to how lightly he got hit right after we acquired him, forcing him to miss considerable time. If he does stay healthy, he will most likely get an even bigger multi-year deal from somebody else next year, although I hope Shero never considers him again.

Some final thoughts. If Shero did not offer him $7.5 a year, then I consider it a blunder. I also feel that if we knew in advance that we were not going to resign Hossa, we could have started negotiating with Malone sooner and possibly signed him at a good discount. And lastly, we need to do something quick, because we do not have enough assets to trade for two quality wingers during the season. That's assuming that either Staal or Talbot will be moved to wing and actually do a good enough job there. If not, we are short 3 quality wingers. This is panic time.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
newarenanow wrote: I don't know, but some people are being real babies here. Things didn't go their way so now they are going to cry and bash Hossa. He took less money to play for a winner, exactly what he said. But now he is "lazy and still greedy". I assumed most people were grownups on this board.
I don't think he is lazy or greedy, however I do not respect him any longer. He had a chance to sign a long term deal with a very good team playing with the best center in the league, and he turned it down for a 1 year deal for a slightly better chance to win a cup. I would respect him more if he left for tons of money, rather than leaving for a lesser deal with the 1 team in the league that is better than the team he was currently on.
Agree with that also. I would respect him more if he just left for a huge contract.
It just doesn't make sense.

People(not you specifically) talk out both sides of their mout sometimes.
Samuelsson
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Samuelsson »

It's his decision, and he did choose the team he thought would be his best option to win. But it is a big slap in the face of the rest of the Pens who fought beside him in the playoffs.

The bottom line is he didn't think they were good enough. Talk about motivation for next season.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

You can't trust a mercenary. That stings just a little. He signed a cheap, one year deal with the team that just beat the Pens. I hope the Pens meet the Red Wings in the Finals again next year and stick it to him.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Sarcastic wrote:I lost a lot of respect for Hossa today. First, he is not a man of his word (as some of you state). He is a liar. He said that we are number one on his list and that he'll be happy playing here. That was an obvious lie, because it seems he never really wanted to be here. He took the same money to play for another team. It's as simple as that.

I remember posting something during last season about him not really looking like he was part of the team. You saw other guys be part of the big group and act like it, and Hossa somehow always seemed "distant". Even in interviews, he never smiled or looked happy. He was cold and professional. He was saying the right things, but that's about it.

The wings are not resigning him next year, so he is a hired guy for the season. I don't really blame him for that, but that means he is selfish. He goes to Detroit as a mercenary. If he wins the cup with them this year, it will feel very empty, IMO. How much more meaningful would it be if he stayed with us and worked hard over the next 2 or 3 years and finally won it in Pittsburgh? Really became part of a group. He took the cheap way of doing it and I hope it blows up in his face. I cannot respect him for that.

Second, it is a risk on his part, considering his knees. I hope he holds up, but think back to how lightly he got hit right after we acquired him, forcing him to miss considerable time. If he does stay healthy, he will most likely get an even bigger multi-year deal from somebody else next year, although I hope Shero never considers him again.

Some final thoughts. If Shero did not offer him $7.5 a year, then I consider it a blunder. I also feel that if we knew in advance that we were not going to resign Hossa, we could have started negotiating with Malone sooner and possibly signed him at a good discount. And lastly, we need to do something quick, because we do not have enough assets to trade for two quality wingers during the season. That's assuming that either Staal or Talbot will be moved to wing and actually do a good enough job there. If not, we are short 3 quality wingers. This is panic time.

I don't think Hossa would feel empty at all if he won the cup next year. I know I wouldn't.

Also Malone was never going to take some big discount to sign here. The "hometown" stuff was blown way up, IMO.

I think everyone is honestly letting their emotions get to them right now.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

skullman80 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
It just doesn't make sense.

People(not you specifically) talk out both sides of their mout sometimes.
If the contract was huge enough, 9 or 10 million, then it would be hard for anybody to blame him for taking it. It would mean that money is what he likes, but if others offered him 7... I would understand it.

What I can't respect is that he went to the team that just beat him. It is a shameful move, IMO. I would feel perfectly OK if he went to somebody else who has a shot at the cup, but not Detroit.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

ziggystardust wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Ginger wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

he chose the best team. the best team can only afford him for 1 year. there you have it.
Y'know, I knew he was going to go. From the moment we picked him up, in my mind he was a rented player. He saw an opportunity to go to the playoffs & win a championship, & he signed on to do that.

But what bothers me at this time is the crap about 'money not meaning a lot - playing with this Penguins team that he enjoyed so much - wanting to stay with them & willing to take less money to do it - blah, blah, blah blah, blah blah!

Where did all that go, huh, Marian? Somebody waves a wad of thousand dollar bills under your nose & to hell with the long term contract & the "team you want to stay with". You actually had me sucked in, too.

Well said Ginger. I literally feel sick, I got sucked in to a bit.
I agree with Ginger and Mike.

Wait. Hossa say all the right things, which possibly misled the fan-base!? I DON'T BUY IT! A PLAYER WOULD NEVER BE DISINGENUOUS!
I know, we should have expected it. It's actually how I felt, as I stated, but was hoping that I was wrong on that.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

brwi wrote:
Sid and Malkin need linemates a lot more than any "motivation." 87 and 71 aren't the kind of half-motivated slackers that need to go out there and try and find some reason to get "fired up" to perform well.

what was Sid and Malkin's goal yesterday for the upcoming season? Win the Cup. What is their goal after Hossa left this morning? Win the Cup, though first it's probably to call RS and Mario to gently remind them that a couple of top-6 forwards would be really cool if someone could see how to get one :evil:

Brad
You're right they need wings~ p-poor pun today. :) BUT, the team
also needs to guard against cup final blues. Quote just came across
to me as slightly insulting. My opinon. I did read something that
Sid's keeps a book, notebook, of quotes and rereads them.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i hate agreeing with ziggystartdust
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Sarcastic wrote:I lost a lot of respect for Hossa today. First, he is not a man of his word (as some of you state). He is a liar. He said that we are number one on his list and that he'll be happy playing here. That was an obvious lie, because it seems he never really wanted to be here. He took the same money to play for another team. It's as simple as that.

Like you said, the injury part really puzzles me. Why take a 1 year deal with a team that gives you a great chance at winning the Cup for 1 year, but no security, verses a 5 or 6 year deal with a team that gives you a great chance at winning the Cup for the next 5 or 6 years playing with Malkin and Crosby, and also gives you security in case you get a major injury. If he goes out next year and gets smashed up somehow (which I kinda hope now, as sick as that is since he turned his back on us) will every team be jumping all over him next year at this time to sign him to a longterm deal? Or will they be much more cautious wondering how that injury might affect him longterm. This was his perfect opportunity to cash in big time and he didn't do it. Pretty stupid move by him IMO.

I could've lived with him signing ANYWHERE BUT Detroit. What a sellout. And to sign for only 1 year just adds an extra insult to the entire debacle. He truly is a traitor to the worst degree as far as I'm concerned.