Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

crzymike wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
If I remember correctly, you were not a proponent of bringing him back anyhow. If you can't understand why people here are disappointed or are upset about this development thats your issue. He took the easy path to win a championhip. Is that smart, yes. Is it smart to take a one year deal and potentially give up millions of guaranteed dollars? No it isnt. He made it sound as if he thought highly of Pittsburgh and wanted to stay, it's not like this team can't contend with him. Without him though its a serious blow. People arent likely gonna react well to that, nor should they!
I'm not speaking for Newarena, but I'll share my annoyance with fans. I'm not annoyed that they are disappointed he left. I understand and share that sentiment. He was a great player, and his presence (no matter how short it was) will be missed and will leave a hole.

I am, however, annoyed at people that are pissed at Hossa for leaving and are "acting like babies" over it. Hossa has done what was best for him in his eyes.

Let's for a moment look at this scenario. If he DID sign with Pittsburgh, he would get almost the same deal he got with Detroit. He would, however, receive less than he is getting now. No matter how you argue it, he would. This deal allows him the best chance to get the Cup and get more money in the end. This is because it only ties him down to a lesser-money'd contract for 1 year. After this year he can go get his 9 million dollar deal.

If he had signed with Pittsburgh, he would've been stuck at 7-7.5 million for 6 years.

I just don't understand the fans that are complaining because he 'snubbed' the city, the team, and the fans. Him signing with another team does not mean he hates the team and the city, it means that he agreed to the deal he thought was the best for him.
What should we do have a damn party? The guy played exceptionally well for us. His skillset is phenominal, his backchecking and defensive play a master piece. He was our best player in the playoffs. This just happened for heavens sake (losing him)! It's not like he's a component that is easily replaceable. We arguably lost one of the top 10 players in the game. If you cant understand peoples dismay your very naive.
Did you miss the first line? Where did I say I don't understand the disappointment in fans? I understand what he brings to the table and I understand the hole he leaves on the team.

I just don't understand the people making him out to be Jagr when he left. And you can't tell me people aren't saying that.

What I want... No party. How about disappointment without the questioning of why he hates Pittsburgh and that it's Therrien or the city or the fans, and that hopefully he gets hurt?
I took exception to your notion that people are acting like babies about it. Thats what I was speaking too and I don't agree at all. As far as MT or that he doesn't like the city, I know I didnt bring that up.
sorry mike, some people are acting like babies.

hossa didn't do anything that should make people wish him injury or want to boo him. and the contradictory notion that he was greedy or hypocritical is absurd. i'm not pointing a finger at you, because i havent read through your take on it, but "babies" is the exact word i'd use for many people here.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

shmenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote: I'm not speaking for Newarena, but I'll share my annoyance with fans. I'm not annoyed that they are disappointed he left. I understand and share that sentiment. He was a great player, and his presence (no matter how short it was) will be missed and will leave a hole.

I am, however, annoyed at people that are pissed at Hossa for leaving and are "acting like babies" over it. Hossa has done what was best for him in his eyes.

Let's for a moment look at this scenario. If he DID sign with Pittsburgh, he would get almost the same deal he got with Detroit. He would, however, receive less than he is getting now. No matter how you argue it, he would. This deal allows him the best chance to get the Cup and get more money in the end. This is because it only ties him down to a lesser-money'd contract for 1 year. After this year he can go get his 9 million dollar deal.

If he had signed with Pittsburgh, he would've been stuck at 7-7.5 million for 6 years.

I just don't understand the fans that are complaining because he 'snubbed' the city, the team, and the fans. Him signing with another team does not mean he hates the team and the city, it means that he agreed to the deal he thought was the best for him.
What should we do have a damn party? The guy played exceptionally well for us. His skillset is phenominal, his backchecking and defensive play a master piece. He was our best player in the playoffs. This just happened for heavens sake (losing him)! It's not like he's a component that is easily replaceable. We arguably lost one of the top 10 players in the game. If you cant understand peoples dismay your very naive.
Did you miss the first line? Where did I say I don't understand the disappointment in fans? I understand what he brings to the table and I understand the hole he leaves on the team.

I just don't understand the people making him out to be Jagr when he left. And you can't tell me people aren't saying that.

What I want... No party. How about disappointment without the questioning of why he hates Pittsburgh and that it's Therrien or the city or the fans, and that hopefully he gets hurt?
I took exception to your notion that people are acting like babies about it. Thats what I was speaking too and I don't agree at all. As far as MT or that he doesn't like the city, I know I didnt bring that up.
sorry mike, some people are acting like babies.

hossa didn't do anything that should make people wish him injury or want to boo him. and the contradictory notion that he was greedy or hypocritical is absurd. i'm not pointing a finger at you, because i havent read through your take on it, but "babies" is the exact word i'd use for many people here.
Who wished him injury?? I sure as hell didnt. I never said he was greedy either, I said he took the easiest path to win a championship and on paper he did. He also was stupid in the sense of leaving all that guaranteed money out there and unlike some, if he would have taken more money in edmonton that would be much easier to stomach instead of goin to the team that handed us our ''hats'' in the finals. An for the record, I WILL BOO HIM WITH A PASSION!
Last edited by crzymike on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

It wasn't my notion, but I agree with it -- though it may have been a little strong. And I don't think either of us were referencing you specifically. It just seemed like people where acting like it was Hossa's duty to sign with Pittsburgh and when he didn't, they acted like it was some great offense.

I don't remember Hossa ever saying he would take less to play for Pittsburgh. I do remember him saying he'd take less to play for a contender. That seems to be what he did.

It hurts us losing both Malone and Hossa, but I don't think we would've over-payed to have Malone still in Pittsburgh -- like Tampa did -- and Hossa thought he had a better chance to win a cup and get more money in Detroit. I don't know if Pittsburgh was willing to offer a 1-year deal, so anything about that is speculation.

And yes, I think some posters have been spoiled with Crosby and Malkin taking less to play for Pittsburgh. They can't expect the majority of players to act like that, or they're going to continuously be disappointed.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

crzymike wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'm not pointing a finger at you, because i havent read through your take on it
Who wished him injury?? I sure as hell didnt. I never said he was greedy either, I said he took the easiest path to win a championship and on paper he did. He also was stupid in the sense of leaving all that guaranteed money out there and unlike some, if he would have taken more money in edmonton that would be much easier to stomach instead of goin to the team that handed us our ''hats'' in the finals. An for the record, I WILL BOO HIM WITH A PASSION!
please read again
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Cosmo_kramer wrote:
It wasn't my notion, but I agree with it -- though it may have been a little strong. And I don't think either of us were referencing you specifically. It just seemed like people where acting like it was Hossa's duty to sign with Pittsburgh and when he didn't, they acted like it was some great offense.

I don't remember Hossa ever saying he would take less to play for Pittsburgh. I do remember him saying he'd take less to play for a contender. That seems to be what he did.

It hurts us losing both Malone and Hossa, but I don't think we would've over-payed to have Malone still in Pittsburgh -- like Tampa did -- and Hossa thought he had a better chance to win a cup and get more money in Detroit. I don't know if Pittsburgh was willing to offer a 1-year deal, so anything about that is speculation.

And yes, I think some posters have been spoiled with Crosby and Malkin taking less to play for Pittsburgh. They can't expect the majority of players to act like that, or they're going to continuously be disappointed.
Obviously in this case money wasn't an issue though. He just wanted to give himself the easiest path where by to win a title. I am not saying thats not smart. That said, It doesnt take a lot of courage to do that either. An to go to the team that just defeated us is a little hard to take.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

shmenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'm not pointing a finger at you, because i havent read through your take on it
please read again
I was referring to people in general. I know I didnt and I wondered who did because I didnt see it. Ofcourse I didnt read every post either.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

At least Hossa is a man of his word. He said he would take less money to play for a winner which he did. I just dont get Detroit, they arent that much better than the pens and the length really shocks me.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Krom »

Sorry if this was already posted.

From Rossi's blog:

Interesting comment from an agent regarding Hossa’s decision to sign a one-year deal with the Red Wings: “That’s a huge slap to the face of Pittsburgh and Sid (Crosby).â€￾
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

crzymike wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:
If I remember correctly, you were not a proponent of bringing him back anyhow. If you can't understand why people here are disappointed or are upset about this development thats your issue. He took the easy path to win a championhip. Is that smart, yes. Is it smart to take a one year deal and potentially give up millions of guaranteed dollars? No it isnt. He made it sound as if he thought highly of Pittsburgh and wanted to stay, it's not like this team can't contend with him. Without him though its a serious blow. People arent likely gonna react well to that, nor should they!
I'm not speaking for Newarena, but I'll share my annoyance with fans. I'm not annoyed that they are disappointed he left. I understand and share that sentiment. He was a great player, and his presence (no matter how short it was) will be missed and will leave a hole.

When I say babies, I mean the people ripping on the guy, for doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

I'm disappointed too, but the guy took less money to play for a winner. Why berate him.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Steiggy on 1250 is pissed at Hossa also, lol.

"The definition of a turncoat" - Steiggy.

Amen brother.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

crzymike wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:
please read again
I was referring to people in general. I know I didnt and I wondered who did because I didnt see it. Ofcourse I didnt read every post either.
trust me, there are some posts about injuries (yep), greed, hypocracy, etc. i wouldn't be suprised if some were taken down.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

shmenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:
please read again
trust me, there are some posts about injuries (yep), greed, hypocracy, etc. i wouldn't be suprised if some were taken down.
I don't agree with wishing an unjury on anyone. I will say though that if he did get injured, I sure wouldnt shed a tear for him. He took the easy way, so be it. They better win the cup and likely will. If they don't however I will be very pleased. Hopefully it will come to us beating them. I doubt it though. :(
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Steiggy on 1250 is pissed at Hossa also, lol.

Amen brother.
He's on fire!! Steiggy is ripping him and I can completely understand his reasoning here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Funny, when I suggested he could go to Detroit, I was laughed at.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Idoit40fans wrote:Funny, when I suggested he could go to Detroit, I was laughed at.
when detroit brought those terms to hossa's agent, he probably laughed too
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bill from turtle creek »

crzymike wrote:

Amen brother.
He's on fire!! Steiggy is ripping him and I can completely understand his reasoning here.
Why? Everyone else has left, too.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

bill from turtle creek wrote:
crzymike wrote:

Amen brother.
Ruutu was likely a RS blunder. Malone and Roberts werent gonna comeback anyway. In both cases its a bit different .
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Rocky133213 »

From Rossi in his Chipped Ice Blog:
Interesting comment from an agent regarding Hossa’s decision to sign a one-year deal with the Red Wings: “That’s a huge slap to the face of Pittsburgh and Sid (Crosby).
I sure hopes this throws some extra fuel on Sid's fire for next year. Looks to me like he will have something to prove.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Rocky133213 wrote:From Rossi in his Chipped Ice Blog:
Interesting comment from an agent regarding Hossa’s decision to sign a one-year deal with the Red Wings: “That’s a huge slap to the face of Pittsburgh and Sid (Crosby).
I sure hopes this throws some extra fuel on Sid's fire for next year. Looks to me like he will have something to prove.
Thats how I viewed it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Funny, when I suggested he could go to Detroit, I was laughed at.
I guess those terms got to hossa then. Winter is probably about to be fired. Why would Hossa not take a chance to go score 100 points and THEN have a great playoff run and go get 20% of the cap next year?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

bill from turtle creek wrote:
crzymike wrote:

Amen brother.
Everyone else left for money. Hossa just left.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Idoit40fans wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
I guess those terms got to hossa then. Winter is probably about to be fired. Why would Hossa not take a chance to go score 100 points and THEN have a great playoff run and go get 20% of the cap next year?
i'm not dogging your prediction or the deal, just saying his agent must be peeved.

it's risky. god bless him if it works out for him. takes some eggs to leave money on the table.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 3/SPORTS05
“I’m really happy to become Detroit Red Wing,â€￾ Hossa said. “It’s a big decision for me I have to make. When I look at it, I wanted to have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. I feel Detroit is the team. They’ve got a great team. I know I could get more money somewhere else, but I was looking for best chance to win Stanley Cup, and I think Detroit is that destination.â€￾
Sidney & Evgeni...all the pens left from game six, Marian left
you a motivational quote for 08-09 season.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bill from turtle creek »

penny lane wrote:http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 3/SPORTS05
“I’m really happy to become Detroit Red Wing,â€￾ Hossa said. “It’s a big decision for me I have to make. When I look at it, I wanted to have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. I feel Detroit is the team. They’ve got a great team. I know I could get more money somewhere else, but I was looking for best chance to win Stanley Cup, and I think Detroit is that destination.â€￾

Well, Hossa's right.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

penny lane wrote:http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 3/SPORTS05
Unfortunately those sentiments and all the motivation in the world, doesn't bring back the best player we had IN the playoffs. :cry: