Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

He's got a girls name anyway.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Ya know, it's not so much Hossa I'm upset with as it is Detroit. And just because I just hate them hate them hate them for stealing our Cup! And now they stole our HOOOOOSSSSSSSSAA!!! :wink:
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

I still can't wrap my head around a one year deal.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

...another thing to keep in mind...remember when kariya and selanne did those one year deals for less dough in colorado??...how did that work out...they avs were stacked and flamed out...so let's not hand the wings the cup again, plus there is the championship letdown factor too...
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

duke66 wrote:...another thing to keep in mind...remember when kariya and selanne did those one year deals for less dough in colorado??...how did that work out...they avs were stacked and flamed out...so let's not hand the wings the cup again, plus there is the championship letdown factor too...
Not quite the same situation.... Not really at all, actually.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

wondermoose wrote:
duke66 wrote:...another thing to keep in mind...remember when kariya and selanne did those one year deals for less dough in colorado??...how did that work out...they avs were stacked and flamed out...so let's not hand the wings the cup again, plus there is the championship letdown factor too...
Its about a close as you can get.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

amen...the thing about a detroit demise would mean hossa would shoulder the brunt of the load...he is really setting himself up for a tough road if they flame out and lose to san jose in round two...lets face it...hossa has knee problems...he could also get hurt again this year
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

wondermoose wrote:
...it's totally the same thing...both were stars who took a gamble and signed with a cup fav for less money...and they bombed...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Oh, and... Cue Detroit fans coming here to flame... again. :cry:
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

duke66 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
...it's totally the same thing...both were stars who took a gamble and signed with a cup fav for less money...and they bombed...
someone needs to tell hossa that if he would have pulled his own weight in ottawa he may already have his cup...the i want to win a cup crap when you were MIA in previous playoffs makes me wonder about his own seldf image
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:I don't understand Hossa's decision at all.
I do, his position is if you cant beat them join them. I understand the logic but I think what he did is a bit shameful. That said, he'll likely be hoisting the cup next year! :evil:
He is taking so many risks by signing a 1 year deal...

Serious injury, bad season, and if Detriot doesnt win the Cup, it will be blamed on Hossa.
Yes but it appears barring injuries they are a solid solid favorite to repeat.
Yes they are the favorites right now, but that doesnt mean anything. There has not been a repeat champion the last decade.
That really doesnt have much to do with this though. Detroit was loaded even before Hossa, now its just ridiculous. THis is a very dark day so far. IF we would have landed Hossa we were likely right behind the Wings in terms of winning the cup, now we are far down that list (as it stands now).
Last edited by crzymike on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

Wow. This move makes very little sense to me from Hossa's perspective. The Wings don't have a hugely better chance than the Pens of getting back to the finals next year. For one thing, they have to go through the West. And it would be surprising if the Pens couldn't beat one year at 7.4 mil. Factor in the chance that he'll get injured on the one-year deal, and I don't think I would have sniffed that offer if I were Hossa. Maybe the Pens wouldn't offer him any more than 6.5 mil per? Was there ever a public disclosure from the negotiations?
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

1 year 7.4 million

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:I do, his position is if you cant beat them join them. I understand the logic but I think what he did is a bit shameful. That said, he'll likely be hoisting the cup next year! :evil:
He is taking so many risks by signing a 1 year deal...

Serious injury, bad season, and if Detriot doesnt win the Cup, it will be blamed on Hossa.
Yes but it appears barring injuries they are a solid solid favorite to repeat.
Yes they are the favorites right now, but that doesnt mean anything. There has not been a repeat champion the last decade.
That really doesnt have much to do with this though. Detroit was loaded even before Hossa, now its just ridiculous. THis is a very dark day so far. IF we would have landed Hossa we were likely right behind the Wings in terms of winning the cup, now we are far down that list (as it stands now).

We weren't favorites to go to the finals at the start of last season, either.
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by pulp22 »

It's over. Lets load up with some other guys and go get em.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by davemess »

Im much less annoyed by this than if he had gone and taken a huge offer from say the Rangers or Habs.... least this way he is out of our conference.

The odds of both us and Detroit getting to back to back Finals is pretty unlikely anyway so this doesnt doubley hurt us since we wont have to play him much if at all (not sure if we have Det on Schedule next year or not)

As for Hossa he is chasing that cup as best he feels he can, hard to think too badly of him for that. Detroit are going to return exactly the same Roster that just won a Championship....... we arent going to be able to return the same Roster that got to the Finals (not with Malone already gone & Orpik a doubt).
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

davemess wrote:Im much less annoyed by this than if he had gone and taken a huge offer from say the Rangers or Habs.... least this way he is out of our conference.

The odds of both us and Detroit getting to back to back Finals is pretty unlikely anyway so this doesnt doubley hurt us since we wont have to play him much if at all (not sure if we have Det on Schedule next year or not)
I'm pretty sure every team plays each other at least once.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Its a massive risk by Hossa, period.

It might work out...hopefully it won't. History says it won't.
joey leo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joey leo »

i would hate to be any of your significant others (or objects of stalkification).

you didn't put a new roll of toilet paper on! it's a betrayal! this isn't american cheese, you lied! i have no respect for you!

what's with all the jr high histrionics?

hossa made a pretty good bet. even if he gets hurt and is out all season, would it really affect what he gets next year? i doubt it.
Sgt D

Post by Sgt D »

Dan H wrote:Wow. This move makes very little sense to me from Hossa's perspective. The Wings don't have a hugely better chance than the Pens of getting back to the finals next year. For one thing, they have to go through the West. And it would be surprising if the Pens couldn't beat one year at 7.4 mil. Factor in the chance that he'll get injured on the one-year deal, and I don't think I would have sniffed that offer if I were Hossa. Maybe the Pens wouldn't offer him any more than 6.5 mil per? Was there ever a public disclosure from the negotiations?
That's why I said this whole thing is odd. I have my own theories, but I'm sure I'll get a hard time if I voice them.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Dan H wrote:Wow. This move makes very little sense to me from Hossa's perspective. The Wings don't have a hugely better chance than the Pens of getting back to the finals next year. For one thing, they have to go through the West. And it would be surprising if the Pens couldn't beat one year at 7.4 mil. Factor in the chance that he'll get injured on the one-year deal, and I don't think I would have sniffed that offer if I were Hossa. Maybe the Pens wouldn't offer him any more than 6.5 mil per? Was there ever a public disclosure from the negotiations?
I think it's as clear as day, if he was really a priority for Shero there is no way in hell that he wouldn't match a one year deal for 7.4 million. Hossa would rather play in detroit. As far as a chance of winning, detroit offers more stability than the penguins. the penguins don't even have enough players under contract for next season.

It's about winning for hossa.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

joey leo wrote:i would hate to be any of your significant others (or objects of stalkification).

you didn't put a new roll of toilet paper on! it's a betrayal! this isn't american cheese, you lied! i have no respect for you!

what's with all the jr high histrionics?

hossa made a pretty good bet. even if he gets hurt and is out all season, would it really affect what he gets next year? i doubt it.
Of course it would play a role in his next contract if he suffered a major injury and sat out a year. He's much more of a risk than he is now.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

Hossa and Winter left SOO much money on the table.

He could've signed a 5 year 50 million $ deal in favor of a 1 yr/7.4 mil

I guess they're banking on a Cup and just re-entering the UFA sweepstakes next year.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

God, I really hope Detroit fails this year. Hossa should be stripped of his Rex Gildo satus.
ChiTraderRob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ChiTraderRob »

There is no doubt that Winter was a huge factor in this decision.