Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

farnham16 wrote:I don't understand Hossa's decision at all.
I do, his position is if you cant beat them join them. I understand the logic but I think what he did is a bit shameful. That said, he'll likely be hoisting the cup next year! :evil:
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by helmespc »

It sucks but I wasn't really expecting him back. Kind of lame that it ended being Detroit though.
Indeed... same here. I'm at least glad that he's gone to the West... we won't have to deal with him much.
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by conforto45 »

DMcGrew wrote:I don't think Hossa wanted to be here. That is all.
i am thinking the along the same lines as you. when he was here, it seemed that he didnt buy into the whole "team atmosphere" when all the guys would be joking around and having a good time, it was as if he was too good for all of that.

screw him... id rather have 2 for the price of 1 any day of the week
Ott
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ott »

Jagr > Hossa -- especially with Crosby/Malkin....not worried - c'mon Jags!!!!!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

Life is so not fair.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

wallflower wrote:It sucks but I wasn't really expecting him back. Kind of lame that it ended being Detroit though.
Agreed. I think a lot of you got your hopes up that another miracle would turn in favor for the Penguins and Hossa would sign here for under his potential market value (overpaying or not). For those of who didn't expect him to come back, it's no surprise.

It does suck that he signed with Detroit though.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ott wrote:Jagr > Hossa -- especially with Crosby/Malkin....not worried - c'mon Jags!!!!!
Something tells me the Rangers will not let Jagr go now that Hossa is gone...

I see the pens going Naslund/Huselius/Demitra route...
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Psychlone »

Hosseanic Flight 87 just crashed and burned and unlike the TV show is Lost forever.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

He's dead to me. Here's to hoping this works out for Hossa as well as it did for Kariya and Selanne when they signed in Colorado.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

crzymike wrote:
I do, his position is if you cant beat them join them. I understand the logic but I think what he did is a bit shameful. That said, he'll likely be hoisting the cup next year! :evil:
He is taking so many risks by signing a 1 year deal...

Serious injury, bad season, and if Detriot doesnt win the Cup, it will be blamed on Hossa.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

littlemoonboot wrote:Life is so not fair.
That doesnt mean we have to like it! It also CAN be unfair in our favor, just not in this case.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

shero openly stated he was a rental from day one...i just dont think hossa had any intention in staying here...we really cannot put this on RS or MT....

Hossa is slowly creating cesspools in his wake with the fans in his three cities though...
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Waffles »

Ott wrote:Jagr > Hossa -- especially with Crosby/Malkin....not worried - c'mon Jags!!!!!
I am still having a hard time understanding that logic. Jagr is a good player, but at this point in time, he can't even hold Hossa's jock, dude. We lost Hossa, but now we can all look forward to an exciting next couple days.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

passmaster16 wrote:
DMcGrew wrote:I don't think Hossa wanted to be here. That is all.
Exactly, obviously he feels that his best chance at a cup is with the Wings. I don't think it was a matter of Shero wanting to match the offer.
Everyone is on the Dtroit Dead Things bandwagon rightnow. Like another poster said, how many times has Dtroit had a stacked team only to get beat in the first or second round?
jjwags
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by jjwags »

no way I would sign Hiossa for only a 1 year deal.
Shero did the right thing not matching that deal.
if we can get two decent players for the price of Hossa I will be happy.

I am still going to Boo hossa though. what a dirt bag
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

...well i said all along i believed hossa would re-sign with the pens...obviously he didn't, however with that term he agreed to, the pens could have handled that salary both long and short term...so as some of u have already said, it comes down to he feels the wings have a better shot than pittsburgh to win this year...and he will most likely sign with a sh** team in 09-10 for mega bux...
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ams »

I don't know, Hossa for one year wou;d've worked out kind of nicely...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

stings, but if detroit fails next year chances are his name won't be
the 1st one on the list. marian wanted that.

Now time for Shero to go get some players signed.

Never will I be sad about the pens with Sidney & Evgeni.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:

Serious injury, bad season, and if Detriot doesnt win the Cup, it will be blamed on Hossa.
Yes but it appears barring injuries they are a solid solid favorite to repeat.
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by pmh118 »

When threads were started about booing Malone and Roberts whenever they returned to the Burgh, I thought that was a bit out of line. I think I could get on board with booing Hossa when he comes back, though. He reportedly declined a long-term deal and signed a ONE year deal with the Red Wings? Come on.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by holeinone »

rich winter and hossa deserve one another. I can't understand why he would sign something like that
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I'm glad that my manlove is Geno and not Hossa.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

holeinone wrote:rich winter and hossa deserve one another. I can't understand why he would sign something like that
expecting the cap to go up another 7-10 % next year and signing that 100 million dollar 8 year deal...that's the gamble you take
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

'Guins Win! wrote:For someone who claimed they wanted a long term deal, more money, and to win, Hossa chose the deal that only gave him ONE of his 3 issues.

I'm SO SO SO SO dissapointed in Hossa.

Sign me up to BOO him loudly.

I don't want to hear about a chance to win. PIT was on the verge of winning too. PIT gave him all 3 of his issues and he chose DET.

Have fun Marion because Osgood isn't going to get it done this year. :twisted:
When did he say he wanted more money? I can't say I'm broken up about this signing.

As much as I wanted Hossa on the team -- he would've been one of our best players on both sides of the ice -- signing him to a long-term contract would've tied our hands with respect to a number of other components on our team -- not just now, but in the future.

Now for Hossa, you can't blame him for this signing. Detroit gives him the BEST chance at winning a cup. Regardless of how you feel about the Penguins and the progress they will make, Detroit is the odds on favorite to repeat this year and signing the best player in Free Agency just makes them ten times better. On paper, it's also a good bet that Hossa will have a good year again playing with the team Detroit has. Now after this year he can go sign the 5+ year contract for 8-9 million on a competitive team.

I don't understand why some fans act like a player -- whom was a rental -- decides not to resign with their team. The majority of players make the best decision for them, not a team or their fans.

Things aren't over for the Penguins... This frees up space for the Penguins to bring in someone or a combination of players like Huselius/Nasland/Satan or trade for a player like Gaborik.

I wish Hossa all the best in Detroit and here's hoping we meet them again in the Finals but this time the Penguins come up on top.
Last edited by Cosmo_kramer on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:

Yes but it appears barring injuries they are a solid solid favorite to repeat.
Yes they are the favorites right now, but that doesnt mean anything. There has not been a repeat champion the last decade.