Ok, my first critique OF ALL THESE TYPES OF BOARDS.

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Is guiner a spoiled bastard?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:14 am

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 42

guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Ok, my first critique OF ALL THESE TYPES OF BOARDS.

Post by guiner »

Is that when you go to view a post, you can NEVER see the other replies or other posts in that thread in the same window. RJ, on your board, you can horizontally jump across the subthread, but usually with this kind you have to continually return to the root thread and pick the next reply.

Is this a possible option or am I a spoiled bastard.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

I guess I kinda described this wrong

Post by guiner »

It very difficult to see or have an organized subthread with this style. Everything seems to be cronologically placed under an initial post, but there is no separate subthread.

Often 2 folks will just go off on a tangent and you can ignore that, but with this, it seems as though all posts are put under one root post and you have to mentally sort it out yourself, you cannot ignore a subthread.

I'm out, time to go play BF2. Time to see what I can do with a attack helicopter while buzzed.

g
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I do know what you mean.

There is a threaded mod version of phpbb but it seems a bit sketchy. I had an older version of it up at http://www.pookalooka.com/scripts/PensBoard3/.
Eisbahren

Post by Eisbahren »

I agree with Guiner--and thus presumably am also incredibly spoilt--in that I much prefer a board which lumps together its topics as the present LGP board does.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

I Agree

Post by Mad City Mike »

I like the current board in that I can see all posts at a glance rather than having to go into the thread to see replies.
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by spoon »

phpBB is spiffy you jags. love it for it shall own your soul!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: I Agree

Post by Admin »

Mad City Mike wrote:I like the current board in that I can see all posts at a glance rather than having to go into the thread to see replies.
It's definitely a change. We'll give it a test run and see how everyone feels after a week or two. Plus, this board allows some neat "regulars" features.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by freq019 »

Admin wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:I like the current board in that I can see all posts at a glance rather than having to go into the thread to see replies.
It's definitely a change. We'll give it a test run and see how everyone feels after a week or two. Plus, this board allows some neat "regulars" features.
like what are some of these "regulars" features :shock:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

freq019 wrote:like what are some of these "regulars" features :shock:
Free money from Nigeria.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by freq019 »

Admin wrote:
freq019 wrote:like what are some of these "regulars" features :shock:
Free money from Nigeria.
sweet I'm in my credit card number is ****-****-****-****
hook me up!!! :D
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

freq019 wrote: sweet I'm in my credit card number is ****-****-****-****
Funds for the new server have been acquired. You now have access to the hidden "suckers" board. :lol:
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by freq019 »

Admin wrote:
freq019 wrote: sweet I'm in my credit card number is ****-****-****-****
Funds for the new server have been acquired. You now have access to the hidden "suckers" board. :lol:
wait a second???!!! :evil:

oh well if it keeps the trolls out ;)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

[Thanks again. I just bought a new vehicle. What's the limit on that card?
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by freq019 »

Admin wrote:[Thanks again. I just bought a new vehicle. What's the limit on that card?
Kia's for everyone!!! :lol:
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Admin wrote:
Nice work RJ, remindes me of IPB in some ways, not that there are any other boards out there ;)

I suppose there are benefits and drawbacks to both styles of boards, so I'll be around on whatever LGP board wins out... (at least this style might avoid multiple threads on the same topic)

rel in Va
Diddy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Kudos!

Post by Diddy »

Very nice message board. phpbb bulletin board systems are so much neater and cleaner than the old system that was in place. I am now happy!
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Jerez »

What if you really CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks???

I guess I can adjust to anything, but this might be rather difficult for a dummy like me... :cry:

But I'm willing to try it if it will make things "better" for LGP, if you know what I mean.

(Hmm, why can't I see the smilie icon, even in the preview?)
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

I like it.

Then again, I've always been a fan of the phpBB system. :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

fwiw, I hate the style of the old board... I understand that it gives the opportunity for "sub threads or what have you, but I just don't like that style... although I did like the option the lgp version had to list just the topics...

As RJ has pointed out many times, there simply aren't enough moderation options with those boards... although on my message board, we've had quite a few bad experiences with phpBB and its SQL databases... we've since abandonned it in favor of a non-sql board type that still uses this format, and we haven't had nearly the problems.

anyway, this is a nice upgrade... as long as RJ makes a few good mods to ban, it will improve things greatly.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Other things to add are the Fleury emoticon and some other Pens to the list. And if you want to get really inside add bananas under the poster column with each banana being 100 posts or something like that.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

The question is...who are the mods going to be. Who will be evil enough to smack around the trolls? :twisted:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I actually like this style of forum better. It seems more organized, particularly for the longer threads. And since it allows more quoting features, it's easier to follow 'conversations' between posters within the thread.

Thumbs up from me. :)

EDIT: And, as I just discovered, you can edit your posts as well. That's neat-o.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Definitely going to take some tweaking on my part. Have to learn all the settings etc. I don't see it keeping track of posts I've read though. Which means I would have to drill down through each item to see if there is anything new.

I will learn and adhere, but I have to figure out why I can't tell which posts are updates.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

Just the fact that I can edit my posts puts this board light years ahead of the other, IMO.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

One suggestion, if possible add a page listing/next page button on the top of the thread page too. This will allow you to jump ahead without drilling to the bottom of a page you have already read.