Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Skatingpen »

KG wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:15 pm
DelPen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:26 pm POJ joining his brother in St.Louis. Good luck to him.
1 year $950K.

Pens must not have been impressed to not bring him back. Or they are very high on Gryzzz
He was always disrespected here
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Thinking about Sid’s next contract, is there any negative for going 8 years, $50 million from the Pens side? It’s essentially 5 years, $10 million for what I expect him to actually play but could see him go to the full 8 if he wanted to and is able because he’s that driven.

But this lowers his cap hit now, assuming he retires with a few years left we aren’t going to need that cap space and it would even help get us to the floor. Even doing 8 x $8.7 again isn’t crazy. Once Sid retires this team is going to be full rebuild and bad so again, a cap hit will not matter in 6 years if it gets a better AAV now.

I guess the question is if Sid would want to do that? Structuring as much front loaded as possible under the CBA of course.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

All I can think of is "Why Pinto?". Belushi belches. "Why not?"
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:48 pm Thinking about Sid’s next contract, is there any negative for going 8 years, $50 million from the Pens side? It’s essentially 5 years, $10 million for what I expect him to actually play but could see him go to the full 8 if he wanted to and is able because he’s that driven.

But this lowers his cap hit now, assuming he retires with a few years left we aren’t going to need that cap space and it would even help get us to the floor. Even doing 8 x $8.7 again isn’t crazy. Once Sid retires this team is going to be full rebuild and bad so again, a cap hit will not matter in 6 years if it gets a better AAV now.

I guess the question is if Sid would want to do that? Structuring as much front loaded as possible under the CBA of course.
I haven't thought much about Sid's contract to be honest. I do think it's a little strange that all parties want it to be such a secret. I mean, it's a negotiation. How much do you want ? and do you want to stay here? Hopefully Sid signs for 3+ years and not 1 year at a time.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

DelPen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:48 pm Thinking about Sid’s next contract, is there any negative for going 8 years, $50 million from the Pens side? It’s essentially 5 years, $10 million for what I expect him to actually play but could see him go to the full 8 if he wanted to and is able because he’s that driven.

Going with the Bobby Bonilla contract ehh?
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Gunnerfan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:22 pm I know I'm in the small minority here, but I really think Graves can pull out of this. He has a stable and good NHL career to this point. Sometimes, when you are trying to justify your contract, things can get away from you. Gonchar, especially Martin, had a tough go of it in their first year here. I'm certainly pulling for him to rebound.
Oh he'll pull out of this.....With another team, With a different HC. :face:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Gonchar and Martin had bad first years here as well, thats true..but not that bad as Graves!? If he stays,lets hope he bounces back..

Crosby deal - 3yrs 21M, thats about it,then he retires..
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

On the topic of our defensive depth:

Right defense:
-Letang, Karlsson, St. Ivany
-Pettersson, Graves, Grzelcyk, Aho, Ludvig*, Shea*, Kral, Pickering, Belliveau, Clurman, Hollowell

11 deep on the left side, 3 deep on the right side, with the understanding that Ludvig and Shea were both trusted to play RD last season. They could definitely use another true RD or 2.

I think Dubas likely made a fair offer (I don't believe the rumor they were 750k apart). I think the Penguins were likely in the 800-900k range. Maybe POJ knew that there was a chance his brother was going to be moved, and knew he had a chance to play somewhere with him. Either way, POJ was very up and down in his time here. He had good showings and bad, and it never really went season to season with him. It was more like 20 games of good, 20 games of bad or underwhelming play.
Gunnerfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Gunnerfan »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:24 pm Gonchar and Martin had bad first years here as well, thats true..but not that bad as Graves!? If he stays,lets hope he bounces back..

Crosby deal - 3yrs 21M, thats about it,then he retires..
True, but don’t ignore the fact that he did have a good career up until this point.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Jack Johnson back in Columbus for minimum, his cap hit is worse for use than them. Awesome.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 100565 »

As a less than 35+ UFA, Stamkos just got 4x$8mil.

Crosby is the better player but he is 35+.

I think fair deal is 3x$8.7mil AAV - front loaded a bit.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:15 pm
DelPen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:26 pm POJ joining his brother in St.Louis. Good luck to him.
1 year $950K.

Pens must not have been impressed to not bring him back. Or they are very high on Gryzzz
Yohe has stated several times over the last season, and as recently as 2 days ago that despite his good play at the end of the season, they have never been happy with his development.