Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:49 pm I guess with all the defensemen signings, POJ is gone.
Word on POJ was, they thought they were going to have an easy process. They then had some concern due to arbitration, didn't QO him but made him an offer that his agent did not accept.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

We have quite a logjam on left side of D, Pettersson, Graves, Ludvig, Aho, Grzelyck, Shea... Wth are we doing?! I hope Graves trade is coming for top 6 winger..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:02 pm We have quite a logjam on left side of D, Pettersson, Graves, Ludvig, Aho, Grzelyck, Shea... Wth are we doing?! I hope Graves trade is coming for top 6 winger..
Graves isn't going anywhere. We're stuck thetre. Ludvig is also out for several months. Seems like the D will be:

MP-Karlsson
Graves-Letang
Grzelyck-St. Ivany
X-Aho

WBS: Shea
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Phew :)
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Gonna miss his sick shootout moves.
Gunnerfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Gunnerfan »

I know I'm in the small minority here, but I really think Graves can pull out of this. He has a stable and good NHL career to this point. Sometimes, when you are trying to justify your contract, things can get away from you. Gonchar, especially Martin, had a tough go of it in their first year here. I'm certainly pulling for him to rebound.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Tatar Devils. 1 year $1.8mill
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Gunnerfan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:22 pm I know I'm in the small minority here, but I really think Graves can pull out of this. He has a stable and good NHL career to this point. Sometimes, when you are trying to justify your contract, things can get away from you. Gonchar, especially Martin, had a tough go of it in their first year here. I'm certainly pulling for him to rebound.
Good point. He strikes me as a pretty honest guy/hard worker who wants to do well, but, as the downward spiral happened, he lost confidence and put pressure on himself to justify that contract. I think he'll do better—and better for him is not being too noticeable either bad/good.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Gunnerfan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:22 pm I know I'm in the small minority here, but I really think Graves can pull out of this. He has a stable and good NHL career to this point. Sometimes, when you are trying to justify your contract, things can get away from you. Gonchar, especially Martin, had a tough go of it in their first year here. I'm certainly pulling for him to rebound.
I'm in the same boat. Might as well see if Graves can't recover, unless there's a really great deal somewhere.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:41 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:06 pm Serious question:
If thte Penguins are obviously rebuilding, would it not make sense to keep players like Graves who either play poorly (allowing us to finish closer to the bottom for draft picks) or turns it around and allows us to trade him for a higher return? Why trade away a guy at his lowest?
It *would* be worth keeping Graves in hopes of turning him around. If he has a decent season, he's perhaps worth a draft pick. Doesn't make sense to shed salary in his case, you're getting nothing in return or have to give up too much to unload.

If he craps the bed again and we tank, that gives us a better pick, but that shouldn't be a goal
Yep, exactly my point.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Dumo traded to the Ducks
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:57 pm
Wyopen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:49 pm I guess with all the defensemen signings, POJ is gone.
Word on POJ was, they thought they were going to have an easy process. They then had some concern due to arbitration, didn't QO him but made him an offer that his agent did not accept.
I’m really surprised that no team has signed him. Is he really that bad?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:59 pm
He is one of many players who fit into the group that sign with a team about a week before camp starts after they realize that they are not nearly worth what their agents have been telling them all year.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:05 pm
Wyopen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:59 pm
He is one of many players who fit into the group that sign with a team about a week before camp starts after they realize that they are not nearly worth what their agents have been telling them all year.

Good point.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Aho looks to be at the minimum. Good signing.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

All this LHD depth makes me wonder if they will trade Pettersson.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

His brother was just traded to St. Louis.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

POJ joining his brother in St.Louis. Good luck to him.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

thehockeyguru wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:25 pm All this LHD depth makes me wonder if they will trade Pettersson.
If he isn't re-signed by the trade deadline and this team is out of the playoff race then I could see a trade. They haven't acquired anyone so far who could handle Pettersson's minutes.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

We should get a first for MP. I would be afraid he would regress from last year or get injured. I would trade him if we could get a first. I would also trade EK if we could get a 1st. One time we had dick tarnstrom leading the team in minutes and points and that resulted in Crosby.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:26 pm POJ joining his brother in St.Louis. Good luck to him.
1 year $950K.

Pens must not have been impressed to not bring him back. Or they are very high on Gryzzz
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Cam Atkinson 1 year $900k Tampa
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:15 pm
DelPen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:26 pm POJ joining his brother in St.Louis. Good luck to him.
1 year $950K.

Pens must not have been impressed to not bring him back. Or they are very high on Gryzzz
Gryz was most likely happening regardless of POJ signing and I don’t doubt he was offered the same deal Aho got and he looked for something better.

I will be curious what an arbitration ruling would had looked like if it got that far.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:41 pm
Sounds like a bridge deal?