Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Tico Rick wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:12 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:05 pm Wouldn't blame 87/71/58 one bit if they saw what transpired today and decided they wanted to bounce and play elsewhere
I'd love it if Geno decided that.
Love the guy, but I might help him pack.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Imagine for a moment...Bunting and Rust are out of the lineup for 2-4 weeks, both at the same time.

Who moves into the top 6?

Imagine Sid or Geno finally missing a few games this year. Who moves up to top 6 center?

We're in ugly time now, and the sad thing is they could have made some more strategic moves to improve the roster and improve the trade returns this year or next. They chose...whatever this plan is. Hextall's plan in his head has some competition.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Mad City Mike wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:38 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:32 pm
Why would anyone who doesn't suck want to come to the Pens?
Exactly! I say let Crosby play out these last couple of years in Colorado. Start the full overhaul! Dangle the wiz HCMS out there if you have to, to make it happen!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I think our last hope at a potential "exciting" move by Dubas is Colorado. Seravalli says after their moves, they have only 18 players (11F, 5D, 2G) and only 300k in cap space.

Can we get a Colton or Lehkonen with a 2nd/3rd for future considerations?

Skinner signed for 1 year, 3M with Edmonton.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Hawks sign TJ Brodie 2 years $3.75 AAV
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

I for one have zero issue with what Dubas did today. Albeit very vanilla, he did exactly what he said he would do. Shorter term deals. Recoup draft assets. Bring in some younger bodies. Also - having said that - I agree with FLPens that “on paper” - it appears we could have tried to do a little more of both.

BUT we don’t know his entire spectrum of planned moves and or options as they present themselves.

What he did do - is fill out the roster / left room for younger players to make the team. Added cap flexibility for adding via trade - etc.

The roster is very fragile and thin on the wings and at center. As you mentioned. 1 or two injuries away from the Lottery.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

To add. The only move I’m not crazy about is taking on Hayes for 3.75 to get a second. It’s good we got a second but I’d rather of tried to sign someone like Jack Roslovic. He’s younger. Probably similar price or cheaper. Local kid. And if the pick is in 2027 we could get back a 2nd or 3rd for him then.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Tell you the Caps have done a real good job this off-season of re-tooling on the fly. Kind of wish the Pens went this route. Caps made the playoffs last season but their roster wasn't anything great.

Kind of feels like KD gave up on Sid to be honest. Not a great feeling.

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/top-r ... um=twitter

Top remaining free agents...Unless we're signing Tarasenko, we look to be going the trade route...
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:07 pm I think our last hope at a potential "exciting" move by Dubas is Colorado. Seravalli says after their moves, they have only 18 players (11F, 5D, 2G) and only 300k in cap space.

Can we get a Colton or Lehkonen with a 2nd/3rd for future considerations?

Skinner signed for 1 year, 3M with Edmonton.
Both of those guys have some degree of NTC in their contracts. Would they be interested in coming here to a team that doesn't project to be in the playoffs?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

BlackNGold4Life wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:22 pm I for one have zero issue with what Dubas did today. Albeit very vanilla, he did exactly what he said he would do. Shorter term deals. Recoup draft assets. Bring in some younger bodies. Also - having said that - I agree with FLPens that “on paper” - it appears we could have tried to do a little more of both.

BUT we don’t know his entire spectrum of planned moves and or options as they present themselves.

What he did do - is fill out the roster / left room for younger players to make the team. Added cap flexibility for adding via trade - etc.

The roster is very fragile and thin on the wings and at center. As you mentioned. 1 or two injuries away from the Lottery.
There’s a lot less cap space and spots open for younger players than most people think.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DelPen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:38 pm
BlackNGold4Life wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:22 pm I for one have zero issue with what Dubas did today. Albeit very vanilla, he did exactly what he said he would do. Shorter term deals. Recoup draft assets. Bring in some younger bodies. Also - having said that - I agree with FLPens that “on paper” - it appears we could have tried to do a little more of both.

There’s a lot less cap space and spots open for younger players than most people think.
Truth. Honestly, I have no clue where any young forward will fit on this roster now. Only player moved out was Smith. And, they still want a LW for Sid.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Henrique stays with the Oil 2 x $3m.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I would feel a lot better with this roster if we add another top 6 forward.

I actually like Lizotte . He will bring a ton of energy and with Acciari playing right wing that has the makings of a great energy 4th line.

Hayes is still a solid bottom 6 player.

One good thing we don’t have to see anymore is Harkins, Acciari, Carter as a fourth line ! We definitely have more depth.

Seems like Eller would be potential trade bait for cap space so we can add a forward with salary. I would think that Dubas has been doing a lot of due diligence on Laine.

We shall see !
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:07 pm Henrique stays with the Oil 2 x $3m.
They are trying hard to move Kane…

Oilers had a good day at the office today. Henrique, Arvidsson, Skinner. Solid depth.
Badamski9

Post by Badamski9 »

KG wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:34 pm Tell you the Caps have done a real good job this off-season of re-tooling on the fly. Kind of wish the Pens went this route. Caps made the playoffs last season but their roster wasn't anything great.

Honestly, it’s because they started two years ago and Backstrom getting hurt freed up money. They didn’t worry about nostalgia, they made the business moves they needed to make!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Didn't see this today, but Vinnie Hinostroza signed with Nashville. I didn't realize he was UFA, but good, he didn't do a darn thing last season.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

KG wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:34 pm Tell you the Caps have done a real good job this off-season of re-tooling on the fly. Kind of wish the Pens went this route. Caps made the playoffs last season but their roster wasn't anything great.

Now that is a serious retool at least on paper. Damn.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:55 pm Matt Murray signed by Nashville.
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/nashville ... -contracts

:)
Not our former Matt Murray, the other one.

Our former Matt Murray actually re-signed with Toronto for a 1 year, 875K deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Two areas of concern with the forward group as currently constructed:

1) Last season, Carter and Acciari combined for 998 faceoffs as RH centers. This year, we only have Acciari, who is often hurt. Number of teams last season that didn't have 1000 draws combined from both right handed and left handed players....8
--Calgary (only once Lindholm was traded to VAN), CAR (Seth Jarvis, 352), CBJ (Danforth, 357), LA (Trevor Lewis, 312), PHI (Konecny, 97), SEA (Yamamoto, 97), TOR (Jarnkrok, 132), VAN (Lafferty and Lindholm both around 350). Where these teams finished in faceoff % by team...CBJ 27th, SEA 25th, CGY 20th, PHI 19th, LA 14th, VAN 8th, CAR 6th, TOR 4th.

2)We've gone down in goals the past 2 years YOY. Right now
--Guentzel out, Bunting In.... -11 goals (Bunting 19, Guentzel 30...counting season total with both teams)
--Smith out, Beauvillier In..... -8 goals (Smith 13, Beauvillier 5)
--Carter out, Hayes In........ +2 (Hayes 13, Carter 11)

Those are the 3 biggest loss of goals. Others like DOC, Puustinen, Puljujarvi will play more games this year. I'm willing to bet that Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Beauvillier and Acciari all exceed last year's goal output. DOC really needs to hit 20 goals as the team is right now. Will it be enough?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:34 am Two areas of concern with the forward group as currently constructed:

1) Last season, Carter and Acciari combined for 998 faceoffs as RH centers. This year, we only have Acciari, who is often hurt. Number of teams last season that didn't have 1000 draws combined from both right handed and left handed players....8
--Calgary (only once Lindholm was traded to VAN), CAR (Seth Jarvis, 352), CBJ (Danforth, 357), LA (Trevor Lewis, 312), PHI (Konecny, 97), SEA (Yamamoto, 97), TOR (Jarnkrok, 132), VAN (Lafferty and Lindholm both around 350). Where these teams finished in faceoff % by team...CBJ 27th, SEA 25th, CGY 20th, PHI 19th, LA 14th, VAN 8th, CAR 6th, TOR 4th.

2)We've gone down in goals the past 2 years YOY. Right now
--Guentzel out, Bunting In.... -11 goals (Bunting 19, Guentzel 30...counting season total with both teams)
--Smith out, Beauvillier In..... -8 goals (Smith 13, Beauvillier 5)
--Carter out, Hayes In........ +2 (Hayes 13, Carter 11)

Those are the 3 biggest loss of goals. Others like DOC, Puustinen, Puljujarvi will play more games this year. I'm willing to bet that Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Beauvillier and Acciari all exceed last year's goal output. DOC really needs to hit 20 goals as the team is right now. Will it be enough?
No, it will not be enough to rise to playoff level, but enough to sink to a higher pick in next year's draft.

I can't scream loud enough to say as long as FSG and their coach in charge and GM are employed, this team is going to resemble it as a shell of past glory.

Arrrgggghhh, Fire the Boston alliance!!! !!! !!!!!!!! Local Pittsburgh fans deserve better. Global Penguins fans deserve better. Mario deserves more!!!

I can't wait until Malkin says that he is dying on the ice. KD is on it.

Letang asks for a trade. KD is on it.

Crosby doesn't want to leave, but doesn't look forward to staying. KD has to communicate with those in power for advice.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

As we stand right now, we are looking at opening night lineup :

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Beauvillier - Eller - Hayes?
Poulin - Lizotte - Acciari
x - Puustinen, Puljujarvi

I have no clue why we signed Lizotte,another LH center,when we need RH C and what Hayes suppose to do on this roster.. he is slow and as long Eller is here he wont play 3C, so he will play RW and Puustinen will s... spot on 3rd line?! Same goes for Puljujarvi and Ponomarev, as of right now,they have no roster spots.. at least Acciari will play wing this year per Dubas!

Defense :
Pettersson - Letang
Graves - Karlsson
Grzelyck - St.Ivany
Shea - Ludvig

Adding Grzelyck doesnt make sense, small offensive Dman, POJ still unsigned and roster filled out!? Graves lets hope he bounces back,otherwise we will have bad defense sven worse again.

Jarry, Nedeljkovic, Blomquist, Larsson

Jarry still on trading block I hope...

I praised KD for salary dump on Smith,but other moves arent that good for me..
Last edited by Pens4Life on Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The cap isn’t as bad as I thought even with a full 23 man squad and keeping Nieto on the roster but I assume he will be LTIR to start the season.

Defense for now looks set barring a trade or POJ signing but if POJ is back how does he crack this lineup without another move?

Up front the bubble players who will need to go through waivers are Poulin, Bemstrom, Nieto, Puljujarvi and maybe even Puustinen. It would be incredibly stupid to lose assets for nothing. I fully expect Puustinen to be a regular so that really only leaves Poulin as a guy that needs to be on the roster or traded.

If you are looking at the Avs as a trade partner I would not be surprised to see him go the other way.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

I don't think we are done. There is still a move or two to make to get even older.