Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:33 am The only plausible reason for looking at Beauvillier and Grzelcyk is if KD is hoping to accelerate the team into the draft lottery.
Someone mentioned Dubas liked quantity over quality. Today seems more like throw spaghetti at the wall and hope something sticks. Not that these are awful signings, just meh and seems on pace with the entire franchise. They've become the almost good franchise. Not quite top 5 draft pick, not quite playoff team.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Mad City Mike wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:08 am
largegarlic wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:03 am Obviously, there's still time for things to change, but so far, the big adds are Hayes and Grzelcyk, and Joseph is apparently gone. That actually makes the Pens older and doesn't add a ton of skill. I can get taking Hayes, since he came with a 2nd-rounder, but why not just play the young guys in the system, even if they're mediocre, instead of stocking up with more mediocre 30+ guys?
This is what I don't understand. GMKD says they want to get younger and faster. Grizzly or whatever his name is for Joseph makes them older and slower. Same with Hayes replacing whoever he would be. They are in full tank mode if you ask me. It started with losing Guentzel. You do have to at least wonder is Sid will change his mind on not playing anywhere else when he sees these types of moves.
Did he say when he wanted to get younger and faster? :D
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Daniel wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:22 pm
Mad City Mike wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:08 am
largegarlic wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:03 am Obviously, there's still time for things to change, but so far, the big adds are Hayes and Grzelcyk, and Joseph is apparently gone. That actually makes the Pens older and doesn't add a ton of skill. I can get taking Hayes, since he came with a 2nd-rounder, but why not just play the young guys in the system, even if they're mediocre, instead of stocking up with more mediocre 30+ guys?
This is what I don't understand. GMKD says they want to get younger and faster. Grizzly or whatever his name is for Joseph makes them older and slower. Same with Hayes replacing whoever he would be. They are in full tank mode if you ask me. It started with losing Guentzel. You do have to at least wonder is Sid will change his mind on not playing anywhere else when he sees these types of moves.
Did he say when he wanted to get younger and faster? :D
The silver lining is hopefully the "we can contend" crowd gets behind a rebuild....Not that we as fans have anything to do with anything....
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Daniel wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:19 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:33 am The only plausible reason for looking at Beauvillier and Grzelcyk is if KD is hoping to accelerate the team into the draft lottery.
Someone mentioned Dubas liked quantity over quality. Today seems more like throw spaghetti at the wall and hope something sticks. Not that these are awful signings, just meh and seems on pace with the entire franchise. They've become the almost good franchise. Not quite top 5 draft pick, not quite playoff team.
...as opposed to the "we suck and we know it, playoffs? what playoffs?" team.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Steve wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:27 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:18 pm 2027....lol
That 2027 draft pick player is probably 15 years old right now.
Well, that's one way to get younger.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

No bridge deal for Slafkovsky. 8 year, 7.6 mil/per
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

KG wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:14 pm Pens sign Blake Lizotte.

He's a solid bottom 6 center. Someone has to be going out? Eller? Acciari?
That's good. You can never have enough lefthanded centers.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Take a flyer on Vrana possibly?
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Open to “another Hayes-like deal” - is that a hint for Laine?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’d do Graves for Kane. And I too hate Kane. I just hate Graves a lot more.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Simple question - Are the Pens a contender?

Absolutely not.

I just don't get what we're doing here. Intentionally being, a middle of the road team?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:44 pm I’d do Graves for Kane. And I too hate Kane. I just hate Graves a lot more.
KD did say that the door is still open for the Pens to sign POJ too...who knows.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Maestro wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:40 pm Open to “another Hayes-like deal” - is that a hint for Laine?
Laine makes 8.7 million, so it would be nothing like the Hayes deal.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:46 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:44 pm I’d do Graves for Kane. And I too hate Kane. I just hate Graves a lot more.
KD did say that the door is still open for the Pens to sign POJ too...who knows.
There's no reason Pens can't sign him as a UFA. Just means he can walk and try his luck elsewhere and doesn't have arbitration rights.
Gunnerfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Gunnerfan »

You hate a man you’ve never met? Got ya. :thumb:
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Gunnerfan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:51 pm
Kane has given haters plenty of fodder through the years. I don't hate Graves. He only stinks.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

I've seen no reputable indication that the Pens signed Lizotte. Nothing on TSN, ESPN, Sportsnet, official Pens site or social media. No even on Capfriendly or Puckpedia.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but it is a bit odd it is not showing anywhere.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sigwolf wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:54 pm I've seen no reputable indication that the Pens signed Lizotte. Nothing on TSN, ESPN, Sportsnet, official Pens site or social media. No even on Capfriendly or Puckpedia.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but it is a bit odd it is not showing anywhere.
The local media said Dubas said it during his press conference this afternoon. Assuming it will be out shortly.
Gunnerfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Gunnerfan »

Mad City Mike wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:54 pm
Gunnerfan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:51 pm
Kane has given haters plenty of fodder through the years. I don't hate Graves. He only stinks.
I’m talking about Graves because You stated you just hate Graves a lot more. That’s why I’m asking.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KBone wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:45 pm Simple question - Are the Pens a contender?

Absolutely not.

I just don't get what we're doing here. Intentionally being, a middle of the road team?
They're trying to stay relevant so that 87 decides to re-sign here. Nothing much more than that.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Wouldn't blame 87/71/58 one bit if they saw what transpired today and decided they wanted to bounce and play elsewhere
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

pens_CT wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:47 pm
Maestro wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:40 pm Open to “another Hayes-like deal” - is that a hint for Laine?
Laine makes 8.7 million, so it would be nothing like the Hayes deal.
Taking on a contract nobody wants and getting picks and/or rid of an unwanted contract (ahem Graves ahem) so yes in a way it is. Nah nah mah nah nah nah
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Going with Acciari as your only right handed "center" is definitely a choice.

Also, if the Penguins were ok bringing in 5'9", 175lb Lizotte...there should be zero reason to say Yager needs to go back to Juniors because he's undersized. If his skills aren't there yet, that's fine. But I don't want to hear he needs to add more pounds, etc as the reason he doesn't make this club.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Coffey Break wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:05 pm Wouldn't blame 87/71/58 one bit if they saw what transpired today and decided they wanted to bounce and play elsewhere
I'd love it if Geno decided that.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

So, they've essentially replaced Smith with Beauvillier, Carter with Hayes (probably an upgrade if it pushes Eller to the 4th line) and Joseph with Grzelcyk, who could slot into a higher pair. The rest are more fringe players—though I do think Lizotte should be an effective 4th liner. At least, like last year, there should be strong battles among the depth players.