Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Senators are reportedly not qualifying Erik Brannstrom. He's a LD and undersized (5'10") but a former 15th overall pick. Penguins should have interest.
Spoiler:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:39 am Senators are reportedly not qualifying Erik Brannstrom. He's a LD and undersized (5'10") but a former 15th overall pick. Penguins should have interest.
Spoiler:
Could be PO replacement. KD did not give him a glowing endorsement at the draft.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Skatingpen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:30 am Interesting that TB would trade for him
They can sign him for 8 years now which might lower his AAV slightly but with Tampa every penny counts.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:43 am
FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:39 am Senators are reportedly not qualifying Erik Brannstrom. He's a LD and undersized (5'10") but a former 15th overall pick. Penguins should have interest.
Spoiler:
Could be PO replacement. KD did not give him a glowing endorsement at the draft.
What's going on with PO he should be an easy sign
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:54 am
Skatingpen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:30 am Interesting that TB would trade for him
They can sign him for 8 years now which might lower his AAV slightly but with Tampa every penny counts.
Tampa can only sign him for 7 years. Cap Friendly came out and said the player needed to be on your team by the trade deadline last season to qualify for an 8 year deal. Same with Tanev (if that was really an option).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Jack Campbell albatross of a contract officially being bought out by Edmonton.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:55 am
Spoiler:
Has arbitration rights so the plan is to not qualify him in case we get screwed.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:56 am
Tampa can only sign him for 7 years. Cap Friendly came out and said the player needed to be on your team by the trade deadline last season to qualify for an 8 year deal. Same with Tanev (if that was really an option).
Weird then, first I ever heard of that.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:07 pm
KG wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:56 am
Weird then, first I ever heard of that.
Yeah, I wasn't sure either. Then they mentioned the Tkachuk trade as it was a sign and trade. This is just a trade of rights so he can't get 8 years.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I doubt Florida has the cap space, but Stamkos should sign there and stick it back to Tampa. They did him dirty. He's the captain, career Lightning, 2 time champ, still very productive. They go out and spend crazy money on bringing McDonogh back, tough.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:06 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:55 am
Spoiler:
Has arbitration rights so the plan is to not qualify him in case we get screwed.
We don't need POJ at 1M or worse.

Roll with Pickering as #6-7 in combination with one of Samurokov and Shea. League minimum deals for those two. If it doesn't work out, there'll be some spare defencemen available from waivers when the time comes.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:11 pm

Roll with Pickering as #6-7 in combination with one of Samurokov and Shea. League minimum deals for those two. If it doesn't work out, there'll be some spare defencemen available from waivers when the time comes.
I don't disagree on PO, but...

Pickering isn't anywhere near NHL-ready. The guy didn't even make the Canadian junior team. Now Shea is certainly a possibility.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Could have gotten a lot more on the open market. Another one down!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Mad City Mike wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:17 pm

Pickering isn't anywhere near NHL-ready. The guy didn't even make the Canadian junior team. Now Shea is certainly a possibility.
If POJ is signed, I think it's going to be right around 1M. He's been up and down, but he just played his 4th season (even though 2 were under 20 games). That many years, or in the 150-200 game range is where younger guys start getting more than just near league minimum.

If the Penguins don't qualify POJ, they can still sign him to a deal before he hits UFA at noon tomorrow. The other option, would be if Toronto doesn't qualify Liljegren, Dubas signs him. He made 1.4M last year, and he should be an upgrade over POJ. I'd be totally fine with that swap, POJ out, Liljegren in.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I like POJ and also how he played with Letang and was able to provide some cover for him but that that was heavily influenced by the alternative of having Graves in the top 4 who dragged everyone down.

If we can’t move Graves then paying POJ much more than $1.3 million AAV give or take depending on term doesn’t make sense if he’s going to be bottom pairing when we have Ludvig already signed who is fine on either side or try to bring Shea back who I really liked. A rotation of Shea, Ludvig and St. Ivany is decent and also cheap. There’s also the possibility Kral makes a push too for a bottom pair spot.

But if he wasn’t wanted by the team I think his rights would had been dealt for at least a conditional pick or for another RFA who a team had no plans to sign that we had mild interest in. He was also available last year on waivers and no one wanted him. There’s a guy like him on every team too. Not going to be upset if he leaves, giving him more than $1.4 AAV would make me more upset.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Saw someone who I have no idea has any inside info say Jake is getting 7 years, $9.75 million from the bolts. They are opting to sign Guentzel over Stamkos. Right now I don’t think anyone would rather have Jake over Stamkos even if it was a little more for Stamkos.

Also, some other have mentioned that the narrative that Dubas never reached out should be dead, Canes seemed to meat what he asked for and Jake’s camp still wouldn’t sign. Tells me Dubas made the right move trading him because his agents have been non-commital to everyone. Nothing wrong with that but the player shouldn’t get all butthurt in public like a little baby that he then gets traded.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Who knows if these TIOPS rumors have any weight, but here they are:
Penguins, Isles in mix for Arvidsson?: Another 30 year old+ addition? Would be on a short-term deal, but rumblings had the Penguins, Islanders among four teams in the mix to sign winger Viktor Arvidsson Monday. Penguins are said to be very high on Arvidsson as a short term option.
My take: This must mean they have a potential taker for Smith.

PO Latest: Buzz among agents is the Penguins have something lined up for a left handed defenseman via trade or free agency that has led to some questions surrounding P.O. Joseph’s future in Pittsburgh.
My take: I think Joseph is probably done in Pittsburgh.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Mad City Mike wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:17 pm

Our team isn't NHL ready either, to be harsh about it.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:18 am
KG wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:07 am Sounds like Tampa offered Stamkos $3mill AAV but for 8 years lol. Comes out to the same total to a team offering 3 years $8mill AAV. Pretty creative I suppose, but it's ridiculous how they are handling their captain.

I'm sure if Stamkos leaves he will go to a contender, but I would love to see him on Sid's LW.
It's all business. Sometimes you have to do it for the better of the whole team (*cough, Dubas/Penguins*). How do you think Aaron Ekblad, the longest tenured Panther, one of only 3 Panthers draft picks playing this year, feels hearing his name in trade rumors. It stinks, but, sometimes you have to do what is right for the team versus specific player(s).
It’s smart to not follow the Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA model. Don’t pay guys for their past performance.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Smith, Eller, and Pettersson should all be moved at the trade deadline this season. I see no point in keeping Pettersson beyond this season when he'd be 29 when his new contract would kick in.

Pettersson should get a 1st, or a 2nd, or a 2nd and a decent prospect.
Smith should get a 2nd
Eller should probably net a 3rd

I would add in Nieto, but, with him being out until December with a knee injury, I don't think anyone is going to bite. Major knee injuries...guys can come back, but it often takes a full year for them to recover.

If the Penguins somehow got a 1st for Pettersson, a 2nd for Smith, and a 3rd for Eller at the trade deadline, that would give us 2 picks in the first 3 rounds next year, in what should be a much deeper draft.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Does Dubas bring in a veteran defenseman to offset a further Graves regression and also the possibility that St. Ivany doesn't take another step forward?
I just saw Nate Schmidt's name out there and thought of him. He can play either side, can log a decent number of minutes, and fit into either of the above scenarios. I imagine he would sign a short term deal at a reasonable AAV.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joeyg412 »

Kingerski has first hand sources lol?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Penguins traded Lukas Svejkovski to Lightning for another minor leaguer. Doe. To just Yager as only RH center in the org.