Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:07 am Sounds like Tampa offered Stamkos $3mill AAV but for 8 years lol. Comes out to the same total to a team offering 3 years $8mill AAV. Pretty creative I suppose, but it's ridiculous how they are handling their captain.

I'm sure if Stamkos leaves he will go to a contender, but I would love to see him on Sid's LW.
It's all business. Sometimes you have to do it for the better of the whole team (*cough, Dubas/Penguins*). How do you think Aaron Ekblad, the longest tenured Panther, one of only 3 Panthers draft picks playing this year, feels hearing his name in trade rumors. It stinks, but, sometimes you have to do what is right for the team versus specific player(s).
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:48 am I actually liked what KD said.. we want to get younger and hungrier,he said that multiple times now! And yes he prefers short term deals,maybe 2-3 yrs contracts for UFA.. he wants picks or prospects in possible Jarry or Smith deals?!
Also said Quinn is the his own persona, he will push Sully and make his own input on team, he wont be just Sully's slave lol, silent cricket, despite their long friendship.

So whats not to like??
Ponomarev, Puustinen,Poulin, St.Ivany, Gruden mentioned as NHL players.. I'm also hopeful for Koivunen, he could be first or second callup of season. I think it will come down to keeping Puustinen or Koivunen later ,down the road.

3P 4th line: Poulin - Ponomarev - Puljujarvi would be great to see, even tho its shame Ponomarev aint R handed..if Acciari is traded for pick, we still need RH C. Acciari I would kinda like to see what he can provide on his natural spot, RW, before he goes.
For me, it's the same as throwing Eller, Acciari, Nieto, Carter, Hinostroza, Zohorna, Koppanen, etc in the bottom 6. It's a collection of bottom 6 guys, but there's no plan of how those guys fit together. It's just a mismatch, hodge podge of players.

We have no idea yet if Poulin is capable of playing center at the NHL level. Out of Poulin, Ponomarev, and Puustinen...none of those 3 are known for their defensive work. That's a problem in a Mike Sullivan system. Playing the young guys is great, but they need to be able to play within the system or fit together in some manner.

I'm not seeing much vision in terms of roster building. Maybe Dubas ran out of napkins to write it all down.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by RentedMule66 »

I’m not sure I understand how 8 years at 3 million is the same as 3 years at 8 million? I know it comes out to $24 million total. If I told you that you could have $24 million but you have to choose to get it after 3 years or after 8 years which would to choose? If he only plays 3 years then I get it, but what if he plays another 5+?? You get all $24 after 3 years and get another contract. If you go beyond 3 years you’re not making any more than 24 @ 3 per
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

RentedMule66 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:01 am I’m not sure I understand how 8 years at 3 million is the same as 3 years at 8 million? I know it comes out to $24 million total. If I told you that you could have $24 million but you have to choose to get it after 3 years or after 8 years which would to choose? If he only plays 3 years then I get it, but what if he plays another 5+?? You get all $24 after 3 years and get another contract. If you go beyond 3 years you’re not making any more than 24 @ 3 per
Yeah obviously shorter term is better if the money is equivalent. No GM is giving him $8M though for 3 years (maybe 2). But yeah, all things being equal or nearly equal) go for the shorter term if you can get it for similar money…imo he could get the Geno contract perhaps at 4 years $6M
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Is there a rule that says we can’t have any centers under 30?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

It's called the Sullivan Directive
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:24 am
Pens4Life wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:48 am I actually liked what KD said.. we want to get younger and hungrier,he said that multiple times now! And yes he prefers short term deals,maybe 2-3 yrs contracts for UFA.. he wants picks or prospects in possible Jarry or Smith deals?!
Also said Quinn is the his own persona, he will push Sully and make his own input on team, he wont be just Sully's slave lol, silent cricket, despite their long friendship.

So whats not to like??
Ponomarev, Puustinen,Poulin, St.Ivany, Gruden mentioned as NHL players.. I'm also hopeful for Koivunen, he could be first or second callup of season. I think it will come down to keeping Puustinen or Koivunen later ,down the road.

3P 4th line: Poulin - Ponomarev - Puljujarvi would be great to see, even tho its shame Ponomarev aint R handed..if Acciari is traded for pick, we still need RH C. Acciari I would kinda like to see what he can provide on his natural spot, RW, before he goes.
For me, it's the same as throwing Eller, Acciari, Nieto, Carter, Hinostroza, Zohorna, Koppanen, etc in the bottom 6. It's a collection of bottom 6 guys, but there's no plan of how those guys fit together. It's just a mismatch, hodge podge of players.

We have no idea yet if Poulin is capable of playing center at the NHL level. Out of Poulin, Ponomarev, and Puustinen...none of those 3 are known for their defensive work. That's a problem in a Mike Sullivan system. Playing the young guys is great, but they need to be able to play within the system or fit together in some manner.

I'm not seeing much vision in terms of roster building. Maybe Dubas ran out of napkins to write it all down.
Its not the same, we get younger and faster.. also Poulin and Ponomarev improved defensively I think I read it somewhere.
If they fit together? Well you cant know for any 3 combo how they will fit until they are on ice and they play together.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Leafs trading for Chris Tanev's rights...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Buffalo officially bought out Skinner
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Seeing how most teams are looking to clear cap space for UFA day on Monday, I wouldn't be surprised if we are quiet and teams circle back on Smith and Eller later in the week if they miss out on their primary targets.

Both players will have value with only 1 year on their contracts.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The narrative Yohe is spinning is, Dubas has a lot of power, but when he arrived, FSG, Sullivan, Crosby and the fans all wanted this team to be winners and in the playoffs so Dubas decided to go for it.

It failed, and Yohe thinks Dubas realizes that and is no longer pushing for moves to make this a playoff team. Youth, picks and prospects is the narrative now. Hayes may seem to counter that, but the end goal was acquiring a high pick, which they did.

Also read something on Twitter that Hayes made a statement that he had PK'd his entire career until Torts came to Philly (I don't think Hayes liked Torts)
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:51 pm The narrative Yohe is spinning is, Dubas has a lot of power, but when he arrived, FSG, Sullivan, Crosby and the fans all wanted this team to be winners and in the playoffs so Dubas decided to go for it.

It failed, and Yohe thinks Dubas realizes that and is no longer pushing for moves to make this a playoff team. Youth, picks and prospects is the narrative now. Hayes may seem to counter that, but the end goal was acquiring a high pick, which they did.

Also read something on Twitter that Hayes made a statement that he had PK'd his entire career until Torts came to Philly (I don't think Hayes liked Torts)
Great analysis. I like the move for the 2nd round pick. Those are the high end picks you rebuild with.
With Carter and Harkins gone, and Nieto likely not part of the equation for a while, Hayes can slot in on the 3rd or 4th line and give you decent minutes. I know he's looked at as a leader and has a solid Quinn connection. At this stage of the team, it helps to have forwards with position flexibility.

I think this also may indicate that they know there are takers for Smith out there and we'll then sign his replacement at a lower AAV for 2-3 years. Maybe they replace Smith with Domi or Arvidsson on a 1-2 year deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:02 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:51 pm The narrative Yohe is spinning is, Dubas has a lot of power, but when he arrived, FSG, Sullivan, Crosby and the fans all wanted this team to be winners and in the playoffs so Dubas decided to go for it.

Great analysis. I like the move for the 2nd round pick. Those are the high end picks you rebuild with.
With Carter and Harkins gone, and Nieto likely not part of the equation for a while, Hayes can slot in on the 3rd or 4th line and give you decent minutes. I know he's looked at as a leader and has a solid Quinn connection. At this stage of the team, it helps to have forwards with position flexibility.

I think this also may indicate that they know there are takers for Smith out there and we'll then sign his replacement at a lower AAV for 2-3 years. Maybe they replace Smith with Domi or Arvidsson on a 1-2 year deal.
Same article, Yohe said Dubas was willing to move Jarry, but no teams were interested.
Same article, Yohe said Dubas was listening on Smith, but "had no dance partners." Not sure if that means nobody was interested, or, there may have been interest but just not what Dubas wanted in return.

Seems like the only way Smith gets moved is if someone circles back after missing out on a UFA target.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I mean honestly I don't think Hayes improves the team at all but filing the 3/4c role for 3.5m and getting a higher 2nd rounder for nothing is a very solid move to me. This team isn't going anywhere currently so getting a free pick and filing a roster spot with a serviceable if not ideal player at 3.5m is a win win to me.

Regarding Jarry, I could totally see that being true. I don't make millions as a supposed expert hockey executive but I was 100 percent against signing him to that deal and that was BEFORE he played last season to only reinforce that feeling. Wouldn't surprise me to see other GMs actually be smart enough to say, yeah no thanks to that guy and that contract. Pretty sure that's a contract that's only getting moved as a "move the contract and suffer the pain as part of a larger move" type trade and not a "we want this guy and he adds to our team" type trade.

Smith... who the hell knows. I could also see other teams seeing him as a, sure we'd take him but not for a 2nd etc type player. Pretty sure Dubas would be committed to getting something real for him and I could see that being a major impediment. Don't know that his age, performance last year and rumored and seemingly petulant attitude about being here does any favors for his perceived value.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:51 pm
With or without Guentzel TB isn't a contender
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Sully remains our coach :(
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

So is there any reason at all to pay attention tomorrow? I can't see one. Anybody they could sign with so little cap space is going to suck like Acciari and Nieto anyway.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Mad City Mike wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:02 am So is there any reason at all to pay attention tomorrow? I can't see one. Anybody they could sign with so little cap space is going to suck like Acciari and Nieto anyway.
I wouldn't waste my day away by the computer.

I'll check twitter every now and then.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Mad City Mike wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:02 am So is there any reason at all to pay attention tomorrow? I can't see one. Anybody they could sign with so little cap space is going to suck like Acciari and Nieto anyway.
Barring a trade of someone like Smith, Rakell, Graves or Jarry and maybe Eller there isn’t any money to make a splash and frankly there wasn’t much anyways for a top 6 player before we got Hayes unless Rakell or Smith was moved.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the only signing tomorrow is POJ since it’s looking like we aren’t qualifying him to avoid arbitration but still want to bring him back.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I think they will target a top 6 forward but one that has some issues and will take a short term deal. Drouin, Mantha, Duclair, Arvidsson types. In other words, nothing to get too excited about. But I'm not against that as we can flip those players for picks down the road since they are short-term deals. Just no more long-term contracts.

Welcome to the summer of transition!
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:20 pm
KG wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:51 pm
With or without Guentzel TB isn't a contender
Well they got him for a draft pick, so we'll see if they can sign him.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Interesting that TB would trade for him
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Skatingpen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:30 am Interesting that TB would trade for him
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:35 am
Skatingpen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:30 am Interesting that TB would trade for him
No state tax, so an 8M AAV contract in Florida is worth more. Kind of why I thought Vancouver was always a long shot, because VAN likely would have had to overpay because of their taxes. We shall see if they can get him signed or if he Hamhuises them.