Penguins 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Penguins 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

Starting this thread to talk about the NHL draft, including Penguins potential targets, draft trades around the league, etc.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Penguins 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

First up, Jesse Marshall's draft endorsement video:

I'd be happy if the Penguins snagged 2 of Misa, Mustard and O'Reilly with their 2nd round picks.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wonder if KD will use both picks or make one pick and trade the other for a younger now player like Robertson or Kakko type?

Probably just makes 2 draft picks , especially since we don’t have a 3rd.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Buffalo traded pick #11 overall to SJ for 14th overall (cough, Penguins former pick) and #42 overall. So Buffalo is now picking with the former Penguins 1st round pick.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:03 pm Buffalo traded pick #11 overall to SJ for 14th overall (cough, Penguins former pick) and #42 overall. So Buffalo is now picking with the former Penguins 1st round pick.
Wow, that seems like a weird trade for San Jose to make before the draft. Is it worth a 2nd-rounder to move up 3 spots and still not be in the top 10? I get it if the draft is going on, and someone you really, really like is there at 11, and you want to move up and grab him, but before the draft starts, it's odd.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:08 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:03 pm Buffalo traded pick #11 overall to SJ for 14th overall (cough, Penguins former pick) and #42 overall. So Buffalo is now picking with the former Penguins 1st round pick.
Wow, that seems like a weird trade for San Jose to make before the draft. Is it worth a 2nd-rounder to move up 3 spots and still not be in the top 10? I get it if the draft is going on, and someone you really, really like is there at 11, and you want to move up and grab him, but before the draft starts, it's odd.
There are some theories that Buffalo may have wanted that extra 2nd round pick to use in another deal, and maybe there was a rush to get it done now.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Yeah, it makes total sense for BUF to make that trade but the question is why would SJ make it?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:22 pm Yeah, it makes total sense for BUF to make that trade but the question is why would SJ make it?
What if they've done their due dilligence, and found that was the only way for them to move up a few spots. Anybody else willing to move the pick may have wanted something SJ couldn't offer.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:14 pm Wonder if KD will use both picks or make one pick and trade the other for a younger now player like Robertson or Kakko type?

Probably just makes 2 draft picks , especially since we don’t have a 3rd.
Something I read here about GMKD is that he values quantity over quality. From that, my desired goal of pushing the two second round picks to next year, in exchange for a first and fourth next year are not in his plan.

The clock starts now, and you are on the clock ..

I would love to be sitting on the end of my chair during the playoffs while Crosby is still the Captain one more time.
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pens Fans Sweden »

Has anyone seen or heard of JFresh's "final ranking and mock draft for the 2024 NHL Entry Draft"? It's gotta be a joke, right? Check out who he has going to the Rangers at 30!

He has us picking up Cole Eiserman in the 2nd round though so I would love for him to be right!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Another draft pick trade ahead of the draft.

Montreal acquires LA's #21 overall
LA acquires Montreal's #26 overall, plus a 2024 2nd, plus a 2024 7th (so a 2nd and a 7th to move up 5 spots in the late 1st round, plus a swap of firsts).
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:48 pm Another draft pick trade ahead of the draft.

LA acquires Montreal's #26 overall, plus a 2024 2nd, plus a 2024 7th (so a 2nd and a 7th to move up 5 spots in the late 1st round, plus a swap of firsts).
Why????
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Skatingpen wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:55 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:48 pm Another draft pick trade ahead of the draft.

Why????
A question a lot of people had. Same with the Buffalo/SJ swap yesterday. There are rumors, though, that Montreal is trying to trade up into the top 15. Unfortunately, they don't have much more draft capital this year to move up further. No 2nds, two 3rds, a 4th, two 5ths, a 6th and two 7ths. Next year, they have 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, and 2 4ths....so, if they want to move up to say, pick 14, they'd probably need to dip into next year's picks.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Just heard a telling statement….the last player the Pens drafted that played a full season with us was……..Dom Simon
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Watching the draft pre-show. No idea why the NHL would want to go to a decentralized draft next season. This is good for the league and the fans to have GM's and everyone together. We've had enough Zoom meetings the last 4 years. I would definitely just have the draft at Sphere from here on out.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:47 pm Watching the draft pre-show. No idea why the NHL would want to go to a decentralized draft next season. This is good for the league and the fans to have GM's and everyone together. We've had enough Zoom meetings the last 4 years. I would definitely just have the draft at Sphere from here on out.
I'd rather pay money to go to the draft than to an All-Star game.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:47 pm Watching the draft pre-show. No idea why the NHL would want to go to a decentralized draft next season. This is good for the league and the fans to have GM's and everyone together. We've had enough Zoom meetings the last 4 years. I would definitely just have the draft at Sphere from here on out.
If the NHL can screw something up it will find a way.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I'm guessing Dubas went back to the hotel already. Did his media availability, no 1st round picks, ready to sit idly by and do nothing but make his 2nd round picks tomorrow.

Sounds par for the course.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Just a few things from Dubas availability, per Taylor Haase:

--Kyle Dubas said the draft strategy is best player available, all the way down. Not in a position to be picky based on position, they just need prospects.

--Per Kyle Dubas: The pending free agents they’re having conversations with are P.O Joseph, Emil Bemstrom, Corey Andonovski.

--Big takeaway from Mike Sullivan’s press conference here: David Quinn is the power play coach.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:12 pm Just a few things from Dubas availability, per Taylor Haase:

--Kyle Dubas said the draft strategy is best player available, all the way down. Not in a position to be picky based on position, they just need prospects.

--Per Kyle Dubas: The pending free agents they’re having conversations with are P.O Joseph, Emil Bemstrom, Corey Andonovski.

--Big takeaway from Mike Sullivan’s press conference here: David Quinn is the power play coach.
Riveting stuff. I'm sure Sid loves this bold strategy we have in place. Compile picks and prospects...Seems like KD did a 180 from what his plan was when he got here last season. lol Corey Andonovski.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:15 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:12 pm Just a few things from Dubas availability, per Taylor Haase:

Riveting stuff. I'm sure Sid loves this bold strategy we have in place. Compile picks and prospects...Seems like KD did a 180 from what his plan was when he got here last season. lol Corey Andonovski.
Corey Andonovski....he spelled Brandon Duhaime or Ryan Lomberg wrong. LOL
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Holy crap, this guy screaming on the ESPN broadcast needs to settle down. I get it, you're an excited Sharks fan.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ducks go off the board again. Never understood when GM's don't trade down when they are taking a player that nobody is taking any time soon.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

So, I read another report that said, when Dubas spoke to the media about free agents, he said he was not going to be signing any UFAs to longer than 2 year deals.

If he holds to that, be prepared for us to be signing Dom Simon and Mark Jankowski types. 1 or 2 year deals only is going to take us out of many discussions. Word around the league is that, now with the cap going up, players are going to be looking for more job security and longer term deals. Many players are done with sacrificing term and $$$ because of the restricted cap.

We'll see what happens, but this is setting up for us to be 9th to 12th overall pick year after year....not bad enough to get those much needed top 5 picks, not good enough to make the playoffs.

EDIT: Here's his 3 part response, captured by Pens Inside Scoop:

"We need to make sure we have the flexibility and the options to bring in younger, hungrier players that can help us to get back to where everyone wants the team to be as quickly as we can."

"I understand looking at it, people say well, it's not clear one way or the other. But to me, it is. Last year in the summer, we tried to jump start it in free agency and in trade. We ended up missing on the next-to-last day of the season again."

"We need to begin to pivot away from the way that we've gone about it into guys for shorter-term deals who want to play with good players and play for a good coaching staff in a great city. We’ll be a good option for them if they don't get what they want longer-term."

(So, it sounds like Dubas is going for guys to wait or get "capped out" of their preferred destinations, and hope that "come to a team that missed the playoffs 2 years and has 4 first round exits....we got Sid. You'll really want to be here." :roll:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Funny nobody has congratulated the Panthers for winning the Cup. Strange. Usually a very common thing, especially early on in the draft.