Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pensfan4life8771 »

Here is a great question to the board.

Would you trade Jarry for just draft picks, call up Bloomqvist as backup and use some of the dollars made available to sign Debrusk? Assume maybe we move Riley Smith for a pick and sign Viktor Arvdisson as well. You would have this up front:

Debrusk - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - DOC
Arvdisson - C (FA) - Rakkell
Puljvari - Eller - Accari
Extra - Pustinen
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pensfan4life8771 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:50 am Here is a great question to the board.

Would you trade Jarry for just draft picks, call up Bloomqvist as backup and use some of the dollars made available to sign Debrusk? Assume maybe we move Riley Smith for a pick and sign Viktor Arvdisson as well. You would have this up front:

Debrusk - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - DOC
Extra - Pustinen

Absolutely. I would move Jarry for a pick. Something tells me we would have to take salary or a contract back though. But yes seeing how many decent 1B type of goalies that are on the UFA market , I would trade Jarry for cap space and round out the forwards and bring in a cheap veteran UFA backup goalie.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

According to Friedman, the Sabres have been “kicking the tires” on Smith and Eller…
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:47 am According to Friedman, the Sabres have been “kicking the tires” on Smith and Eller…
DO IT! They also have no signed goaltender with the big team either. Go big!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:55 am
KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:47 am According to Friedman, the Sabres have been “kicking the tires” on Smith and Eller…
Ha Smith pouted here, good luck in Buffalo. Would be fun though to get our 1st back from Buffalo somehow

I'm preparing myself for a top 6 of

DOC Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Smith
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Pensfan4life8771 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:50 am Here is a great question to the board.

Debrusk - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - DOC
Extra - Pustinen
Dude, come on :lol: , I dont think I ever seen so many wrong last names written in one post?!

Bloomquist - Blomquist
Arvdisson - Arvidsson
Rakkell - Rakell
Puljvari - Puljujarvi
Accari - Acciari
Pustinen - Puustinen

Luckily you stopped at F lines only :D
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pensfan4life8771 »

Yeah can't ever spell...esp. when my post is just thoughts. Sorry
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:23 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:00 pm
dark_forces wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:18 pm Take this post for what it's worth, but:
- Jarry’s reps at Newport Sports that know what’s going on around the league are said to have gone into mode where they feel a trade has accelerated to 50/50. At least two possible suitors are kicking the idea around.
- Reilly Smith was nearly dealt to LA at the deadline and those talks could be revisited. Not sure what the return would be.
- Don't expect the Penguins to sign many (if at all) over 30 UFAs.

https://insidepittsburghsports.com/stor ... ns-buzz-8/
TIOPS also said on the 30+ that there was one player on their board, a winger, who was over 30. If I had to guess, it would be Marchessault, but, that also doesn't fit well with Dubas saying he wasn't going after any big fish UFAs. But Marchessault and his speed would fit well into Sullivan's system. Chandler Stephenson is 30, and he's one other 30 or over player I would be ok getting, if the plan was to play him at 3C and bump Eller to 4C.
Can't remember who it was, but they stated that Stamkos could be an option for Pittsburgh. Could play LW with Sid and definitely help the PP. Would be a C option as well.
Stamkos is my dark horse for the Pens. I've not heard a peep about Tampa trying to re-sign him at all.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:04 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:03 pm Saros signs an 8 year, 7.5M AAV extension with Nashville. Do they plan on keeping him, or is this a pre-cursor to him being moved somewhere?
That's a serious home town discount for Saros.
Nashville was quick to state after the season ended that they wanted to get him signed and to keep him in Nashville. He's not getting traded.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Rather it be Smith and Jarry - Keep Eller.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:49 am
I'm fine with keeping Eller if they dump Acciari. I do not think Eller and Acciari make a good bottom 6 center pair. I do not think Acciari should be playing center unless our normal 4C TBD is out and a Poulin, Ponomarev, or Gruden is unavailable. Just like Carter, Acciari should be RW and not an everyday player.

But this team would also be much better and deeper if Acciari was gone, Eller was made 4C, and a new 3C was brought in.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Eller was a surprising highlight last year and I am fine with him staying on as 4C. He is not a 3C on a real, competitive team...so...I guess he fits in as 3C here.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Buffalo wouldn't have interest in Jarry since they have UPL. But Eller for a 3rd round pick makes sense. I would think the Pens would rather trade Acciari than Eller due to the additional 2 years left on his contract but easier said than done.

Smith should have a market especially after Mangiapane got traded yesterday. LA should have interest. Hopefully we get some moves today.

I would guess that Smith and Eller are bets to be traded with Jarry being a distant 3rd.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:32 am Buffalo wouldn't have interest in Jarry since they have UPL. But Eller for a 3rd round pick makes sense. I would think the Pens would rather trade Acciari than Eller due to the additional 2 years left on his contract but easier said than done.

Smith should have a market especially after Mangiapane got traded yesterday. LA should have interest. Hopefully we get some moves today.

I would guess that Smith and Eller are bets to be traded with Jarry being a distant 3rd.
I'll say Smith gets traded.
I think Jarry ends up staying.
I think Eller only gets traded if we get a young 3C in return (think Peyton Krebs from Buffalo; something similar)
I'd love to see Acciari out in favor of a younger guy like a Duhaime or Lomberg coming in, if we can find a suitable RH center to come in too.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Today is the day to trade Smith, IMO. Get a pick somehere in the draft I suppose but mainly to get that $5m off the books.

Jarry is a bigger issue to me as you have to replace him with someone. Neg and a rookie starting next year doesn't seem like the wisest move even though I don't like keeping Jarry at that salary number.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Pens4Life wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:10 am

Debrusk - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - DOC
Extra - Pustinen
Dude, come on :lol: , I dont think I ever seen so many wrong last names written in one post?!

Bloomquist - Blomquist
Arvdisson - Arvidsson
Rakkell - Rakell
Puljvari - Puljujarvi
Accari - Acciari
Pustinen - Puustinen

Luckily you stopped at F lines only :D
Murphydump55………is that you? :wink:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

TB GM spoke to the media said they haven't been able to come to an agreement with Stamkos. As of now he looks to be going to market. He would be someone I would target hard to play LW with Sid. 3 year deal, $8mill AAV. Make this team fun to watch. Fix the power play.

I know, I know. And Fire Sully :)
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:42 am
KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:32 am Buffalo wouldn't have interest in Jarry since they have UPL. But Eller for a 3rd round pick makes sense. I would think the Pens would rather trade Acciari than Eller due to the additional 2 years left on his contract but easier said than done.

I'll say Smith gets traded.
I think Jarry ends up staying.
I think Eller only gets traded if we get a young 3C in return (think Peyton Krebs from Buffalo; something similar)
I'd love to see Acciari out in favor of a younger guy like a Duhaime or Lomberg coming in, if we can find a suitable RH center to come in too.
I don't mind keeping Acari because he can PK and take faceoffs. He's fine at 4RW, but if someone will take him then move him. He and JP should be splitting time in that spot
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:03 am
Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:49 am
I'm fine with keeping Eller if they dump Acciari. I do not think Eller and Acciari make a good bottom 6 center pair. I do not think Acciari should be playing center unless our normal 4C TBD is out and a Poulin, Ponomarev, or Gruden is unavailable. Just like Carter, Acciari should be RW and not an everyday player.

But this team would also be much better and deeper if Acciari was gone, Eller was made 4C, and a new 3C was brought in.
Agreed. I keep forgetting about Acciari because he's been so forgettable. I really hope they can move on from him, at least bury him in the A or something. I saw nothing of substance from him.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

maopens wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:46 am Today is the day to trade Smith, IMO. Get a pick somehere in the draft I suppose but mainly to get that $5m off the books.

Jarry is a bigger issue to me as you have to replace him with someone. Neg and a rookie starting next year doesn't seem like the wisest move even though I don't like keeping Jarry at that salary number.
I don't see a problem with Ned and a rookie, but I'd rather see 10-20 games at WBS to start the season and see how he does. Teams will come into the season knowing how to beat him and we'll have to see how Blomqvist adjusts before replacing Jarry. If they have faith then have Ned go into the season as the starter, find a random backup, let Blomqvist start at WBS with the idea of bringing him up in November.

But Blomqvist and Ned by December might be a nice tandem.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:02 am
maopens wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:46 am Today is the day to trade Smith, IMO. Get a pick somehere in the draft I suppose but mainly to get that $5m off the books.

I don't see a problem with Ned and a rookie, but I'd rather see 10-20 games at WBS to start the season and see how he does. Teams will come into the season knowing how to beat him and we'll have to see how Blomqvist adjusts before replacing Jarry. If they have faith then have Ned go into the season as the starter, find a random backup, let Blomqvist start at WBS with the idea of bringing him up in November.

Plenty of UFA goalies out there that can come in cheap and do a decent job:
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free ... e_vignette
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Freidman said that Jake re-signing with Carolina has gained some traction recently. Was hoping they wouldn't re-sign him.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

That's kind of boring if true.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:20 am

That's kind of boring if true.
It's wild too since the NHL rules "prohibit" teams from talking to free agents prior to July 1. Although with how fast they sign once that date arrives, they have to have talks prior, right? Unenforceable rule!

I also think that most players know where they want to go and tend to lean heavily in that direction, making it easier for certain teams to sign them. I'm also certain that players talk with players from other teams to drop hints, etc.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:02 am

I agree with this. If there's not much of a market for Jarry now, better to wait. Surely some starting goalie will get a long-term injury during the season, and someone will be desperate for a fill-in, even with the term that Jarry has.