Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Cow_Master66 »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:43 pm Pagnotta from the 4th period says Anaheim has intensified talks around goalie John Gibson.
This has to be one of the longer going rumors in history. How long has this been speculated? 5-6 years?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:35 am
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:43 pm Pagnotta from the 4th period says Anaheim has intensified talks around goalie John Gibson.
This has to be one of the longer going rumors in history. How long has this been speculated? 5-6 years?
4 years. He's the Hrdina for Zubrus of the entire NHL. LOL
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Before CapFriendly goes dark, can data be mined and preserved for the salaries by year, by team, of the Stanley Cup winning teams, say, going back to 1990 (earlier?) Through today?

I ask only because of the Salary Cap instituted during the 2005 / 06 season.

Which then ties back to McDavid's issue of needing to win a few Stanley Cups to cement his name as GOAT. Parity now owns the NHL. Having missed out this year should concern McDavid. 2 goals away and you are not on the scorers sheet.

Which ties back to Salary Cap.

Which ties back to Stanley Cup salaries, and did money help the eventual winner?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Skinner isn't young, but is still a good goal scorer who would help the PP. But he's never made the playoffs in his entire career, I see him picking a contender at a discounted rate.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:20 am

Skinner isn't young, but is still a good goal scorer who would help the PP. But he's never made the playoffs in his entire career, I see him picking a contender at a discounted rate.
I could see him as a fallback option for Florida, should they decide they cannot afford Reinhart. He'll be making 2.4M for the next 6 years via the buyout. Someone could throw 2.5M at him, and that'd be enough money for him.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

No thank you. Never liked him or his game.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/558810 ... offseason/

Pens rank 22nd and says Jarry doesn’t inspire confidence….duh

I really don’t see how we’re going to move his contract with 4 years left without taking a bad contract back, retaining or moving him with a good asset. Therefore, I don’t think he’ll be moved unfortunately. We desperately need to move on. Having BOTH him and Sullivan on this team in the Fall is just uninspiring and gives me no hope. Won’t be watching games if that’s the case
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Ericf wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:15 am https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/558810 ... offseason/

I really don’t see how we’re going to move his contract with 4 years left without taking a bad contract back, retaining or moving him with a good asset. Therefore, I don’t think he’ll be moved unfortunately. We desperately need to move on. Having BOTH him and Sullivan on this team in the Fall is just uninspiring and gives me no hope. Won’t be watching games if that’s the case
Start next season with Jarry/Ned and hope a team becomes desperate for a goalie by Christmas. Detroit and Buffalo tend to come to mind so when they think they have the position settled and realize they don't, they might call about 30 games into the season. Last time I read both have pretty good farm systems so they can give up what they think is a low end prospect that will be high end for the Penguins. Win/win.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:22 am
Ericf wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:15 am https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/558810 ... offseason/

Start next season with Jarry/Ned and hope a team becomes desperate for a goalie by Christmas. Detroit and Buffalo tend to come to mind so when they think they have the position settled and realize they don't, they might call about 30 games into the season. Last time I read both have pretty good farm systems so they can give up what they think is a low end prospect that will be high end for the Penguins. Win/win.
I think Buffalo will be fine with UPL. Now, as for the Wings...
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Still don’t get why so many think teams would want to trade for Jarry. His term, money and play hardly bring about confidence. The Pens are stuck with him for the time being, IMO
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

If only we could have seen that resigning him was a stupid idiotic idea. Alas, there just weren't any signs .
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:17 am Still don’t get why so many think teams would want to trade for Jarry. His term, money and play hardly bring about confidence. The Pens are stuck with him for the time being, IMO
There's always a way out of a contract, question is will it be worth it to the Pens to trade him. The Kings got out of the next 7 years of PLD's contract with zero retention. There will be a market for Jarry but not much value in return. To me it's addition by subtraction.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Antonio wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:24 am If only we could have seen that resigning him was a stupid idiotic idea. Alas, there just weren't any signs .
:lol:
Gunnerfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Gunnerfan »

Mad City Mike wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:43 am

I could see not liking his game, buy why do you not like him personally?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

We shall see. I listed to Friedman 32 podcast, portion on Jarry. While they didn't come out and say it directly, they seemed to indicate that Jarry still viewed favorably around the league, but that his injuries are a concern. If teams are only looking at the injury portion, and not the typical 2nd half collapse, they may be able to move him. There also may be a team looking to move salary around. Just using Calgary as an example...if they wanted to upgrade their goalie position after moving Markstrom, but had to move out salary to do it, then maybe they'd be open to a Jarry for Mangiapane swap.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Gunnerfan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:28 pm
Mad City Mike wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:43 am

I could see not liking his game, buy why do you not like him personally?
TBH, I have no reason to displike the person. Just don't like the way he plays. He's a huge diver and comes across as somewhat of a punk.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I've always loved watching Skinner skate, but he absolutely not what this team needs right now.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Just a heads up that there is a new site that will be coming out for NHL salary cap tracking. Keep your eyes open in the coming months for a site called Stanley Cap. It is being put together by a guy who has been doing hockey analytics for the last 20 years, but, he also claims he was the first to publish NHL salary cap info (before CapGeek).

He is hoping to have the site ready by the start of the season, but, I would also expect it's going to take him some time to get it looking polished like CapFriendly was.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

So, now that the NHL season is officially in the rearview mirror, I was taking a look at UFA options for this upcoming season. The Pens still have multiple issues that need to be addressed, but from my perspective, priority 1 needs to be to find a good young wing to replace Jake's departure. It's very difficult to find players under 30 who can be expected to come in and contribute top line quality minutes. The full list of UFAs under 30 who scored at least 40 points last season consists of 13 players:

(1) Reinhart - 28 yrs - 94 points (likely way too expensive to be realistic after his contract year season, not to mention GWG game 7 cup finals. While I'd love to see it as an emergency back-up Panthers fan, he's a much better fit back in Florida for a discount or just taking max money)

(2) Jake - 29 yrs - 77 points (unlikely for the many reasons already discussed on the board. I love Jake, and will miss him, but I don't expect to see him back in Pittsburgh)

(3) Monahan - 29 yrs - 59 points (what a bargain he was this year at 1.95 million. I can't believe he's still 29, though he will be 30 by the time the season starts. I just feel like he's been around. He's also a center, not a wing. I don't see the Pens making a push here, and I was surprised to see him rebound this year as he did anyway. Seems like a pass to me)

(4) Jonathan Drouin - 29 yrs - 56 points (My standard response to Drouin is always, no thanks. That said, he played last year at $825k, and was productive. Still, no reason at all to think he will be in Pittsburgh)

(5) Teravainen - 29 years - 53 points (I like Teravainen, he's a good two way player, and I think the Canes may part ways with him. Again, he turns 30 before the season starts. His cap hit was $5.4 million, which is probably about right. This is one I would consider targeting.

(6) Max Domi - 29 years, 47 point (I like his game, a good power forward we could use. I was angry we didn't get him last year when he signed for a song last year. Not an elite scorer, but adds some needed snarl. Again, I would consider targeting him.)

(7) Elias Lindholm - 29 yrs - 44 points (He's a center, and doesn't likely fit the bill here in Pittsburgh. I expect him to hit free agency, and he's only a few years removed from a 40 goal season. Seems an unlikely move for the Pens)

(8) Anthony Mantha - 29 yrs - 44 points (I always thought he was pretty good when he was in Detroit. For some reason he never looked as skilled in Washington, and he had a rough run to end the year in Vegas. Just feels like a pass to me)

(9) Tyler Bertuzzi - 29 yrs - 43 points (I feel about him the same way I feel about Domi. I thought Toronto just crushed it last year getting both of those guys on limited 1 year contracts. I still would be happy with him in Pittsburgh even if he's a bit of a *******, and would be happy if they target him, though I don't expect to see it happen)

(10) Daniel Sprong - 27 yrs - 43 points (No. He doesn't belong here, no more retreads, please)

(11) Anthony Duclair - 28 yrs - 42 points (Yes, please. He's a high energy guy, and I'd love to see him in Pittsburgh. If he can be had at an affordable salary, this is a good middle 6 winger. I see him more as a very good third liner, and decent second liner than a bonified top 6 guy. Still, he was making $3 million per year, I'd take him at that figure, though I expect his agent will be hoping to get closer to 4.5 than 3... Maybe if he can be signed at 4 years for $3.75?)

(12) Warren Foegele - 28 yrs - 41 point (had his best year, and made it to the Cup Finals. I expect him to leave Edmonton and try to get a pay day. He's a fine addition for the bottom 6, and if he can be had for a low salary, fine... I just don't see it, personally).

(13) Jake DeBrusk - 27 yrs - 40 point (ironically, the last person on the list may be my favorite fit. He's the youngest player on this list not named Sprong. He's also been fairly consistent goal scorer in his career to date with 3 seasons over 20 goals, and two more at 19 goals, though my Boston friends complain that while his final numbers tend to be fairly consistent, he's very streaky in-season. Not sure what his contract would look like, but he's still got some prime years left, and he would actually make the Pens younger. I haven't heard anything to suggest there is any interest from either camp, but I think I'd be game for the right price... maybe he can be had at under $5 million per year with some term?)

So, there you have it. I only see a few guys I would really want to make a run at, and as always, the price matters.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DeBrusk is the right age and type of player we need but we would need to pay more than we probably should unless Rakell or Smith are moved.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Blueger re-signs in Vancouver, 2 years, 1.8M AAV
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:57 pm DeBrusk is the right age and type of player we need but we would need to pay more than we probably should unless Rakell or Smith are moved.
He should be the one target that they are willing to overpay for. As you say, only see that happening if they can move Smith, or Rakell.

Of the guys Subtropical listed, DeBrusk would be top of my list, followed by Teravainen, Bertuzzi, and Duclair. I wouldn't mind Monahan for 3C, but somebody is going to severely overpay him. I wouldn't mind Lindholm if the Penguins decided to move on the Geno to wing plans, but I don't see that happening.

Mantha, I wouldn't mind his size, but, he's been such an up and down player that I wouldn't know what to offer him. I feel like 4-4.5M is the right number. If he's looking for 5-6M, I'd rather just spend 6M or a little more on DeBrusk instead.

Nice list, Subtropical.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:17 am Still don’t get why so many think teams would want to trade for Jarry. His term, money and play hardly bring about confidence. The Pens are stuck with him for the time being, IMO
Same reason there have been John Gibson rumors forever, eventually someone will take him. Jarry is younger, cheaper, only 1 extra year on the contract. Gibson hasn’t played in the playoffs in quite awhile so that advantage wouldn’t be much. Any team that would trade for Gibson might prefer Jarry.

I think a team can think “if Jarry was in a more structured system” or “get him with our goalie coach” or pick your own cliche. I’m sure if Dubas wanted to trade him, Jarry would be gone.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

LeBrun had talked to Eric Tulsky in Carolina today. A few items...

--Tulsky said he has talked to every team about Necas. There are several that are more serious. (LeBrun heard Buffalo is making a hard push for him). The price isn't cheap. How do we know this....

--LeBrun asked if there was fear of an offer sheet. Tulsky said no, because that would actually be less attractive for Necas. Right now, they are talking to several teams, and they have their price. If someone wanted to offer sheet Necas for 9M AAV, which would cost a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd as compensation, Tulsky said he'd match that all day long because Carolina is looking for a bigger package than that to trade Necas.

--Switching to Guentzel, Tulsky said he is trying very hard on that front, and doesn't think they are very far apart.

--LeBrun said it looks to be 99% certain Pesce goes to market, and maybe 60/40 that Skjei goes to market.

--On Teravainen, Tulsky said it is a another situation where, he wants to be in Carolina, loves playing there, but, with the cap, they cannot afford to bring everyone back that wants to return.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Building off of Subtropical's list, here are the under 30 UFAs in the 15-39 point range:

-Danton Heinen
-Daktoa Joshua
-Jack Roslovic
-Alex Wennberg
-Michael Amadio
-Keifer Sherwood
-Sam Lafferty
-Kasperi Kapanen
-Christian Fischer
-Anthony Beauvillier
-Yakov Trenin
-Nicolas Aube-Kubel
-Kevin Stenlund
-Victor Olofsson

Out of those, I would look at Joshua, Roslovic, Trenin, Stenlund, and Olofsson

--I expect Joshua to be too expensive with multiple teams interested. I would look at Trenin as a possibility, or Duhaime (13 points) or Lomberg (7 points) in that realm instead.

--I still say the Penguins need a right-handed center, that we can't go into the season relying on Acciari to be the only guy capable...he's too injury prone. If they could get Roslovic to improve on faceoffs, he'd be worth a look as the 3C for the right price. Otherwise, if Florida cannot afford to bring back Stenlund, I'd go after him. A 4th line of Duhaime-Stenlund-Acciari seems like it would be a fairly solid, aggressive checking line, and Puljujarvi could jump in there on RW as well.

--Olofsson might be worth a look, depending on what other small moves they maybe make via trade. He's got 3 20 goal seasons under his belt but he fell off a cliff last season, going from 28 goals to 7, 40 points to 15, and often being a healthy scratch. Olofsson is known for having a good shot, but not being great defensively. Having Olofsson and Puustinen both in the lineup doesn't make much sense. I'd probably rather have Oliver Wahlstrom from the Islanders out of any of those 3, because he has a shot to go along with some size and physical play.