Pens Sign Ned

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: Pens Sign Ned

Post by BigMcK »

I am willing to bet that Jarry will be the starting goalie for the Penguins on opening night. Showcase him for 20 games, test the waters for interest, then float his name within the league as available. He still has a winning record in regular season games played and has scored a goal.

If a poll were to be taken, between he, Barrasso, Murray, as the most hated / misaligned goalie in Penguins history, I am going to say he is the third place loser.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If the coaching staff and players don’t have confidence in Jarry, and they don’t like his attitude, then they should move him ASAP.

They aren’t going to get much of a return for him either way. He’s an overpaid middle of the line goalie.

Trade him ASAP.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I do wonder if there are locker room issues with Jarry, given that report by Yohe(?) late last season about Sullivan being upset with how Jarry treated a younger player and the fact that Jarry didn't get any games at all down the stretch, even when the Pens were eliminated. I don't know why you'd give a UFA-to-be journeyman that last game, even if he had been the hot hand, instead of trying to bring your supposed long-term #1 back into the fold, unless there were serious issues with that supposed long-term #1.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If rumors are true the Pens are interested in Mangiapane (1 year $5.8mill) wonder if Jarry to Calgary trade might make some sense. They have their rookie Wolf who they are high on, but behind him they only have Vladar.

Maybe a Jarry + for Mangiapane and Vladar type of deal makes some sense?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:49 am If rumors are true the Pens are interested in Mangiapane (1 year $5.8mill) wonder if Jarry to Calgary trade might make some sense. They have their rookie Wolf who they are high on, but behind him they only have Vladar.

Maybe a Jarry + for Mangiapane and Vladar type of deal makes some sense?
Doing some reading this weekend, I assumed they wanted to give Wolf the net, but everything I read indicates they want to have an open competition between Wolf and Vladar, and I've seen other reports that the net is Vladar's to start. Then I've seen other data showing Vladar has been terrible the past 2 years, and he's coming off hip surgery in March. In 4 seasons (including one with only 5 games), Vladar's highest SV% is .906 (all others below .900) and lowest GAA is 2.75. Career numbers 3.09 GAA and .893 SV% in 75 games.

Wolf is still waivers exempt through this upcoming season. If I were Calgary, a Jarry for Mangiapane straight up trade should be considered. If Vladar is ready for camp (supposed to be, but a goalie with a hip issue should be concerning), let Wolf and Vladar battle for the backup. If it's close, keep Vladar and play Wolf another year in the AHL.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:45 am
a Jarry for Mangiapane straight up trade should be considered.
It sure should be.