Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

The Athletic has a piece today on where each team ranks in terms of centers on their roster. The Penguins ranked 10th, but...here's the second paragraph that I 1000% agree with:

Lars Eller has defensive value but shouldn’t be any playoff team’s third center in 2024, Noel Acciari is a depth player on his best day and no prospects are waiting in the wings. The fact that Pittsburgh ranks this high is a testament to their big guys’ enduring production — Crosby in particular.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The Athletic has a piece today on top 10 players that other teams should offer sheet.

#1 on the list is Anton Lundell. Everyone knows Florida is a going to be in a cap crunch. From what I have reviewed, unless they decide to trade young goalie Spencer Knight (4.5M AAV for 2 more years), I don't see how they can keep Reinhart, Montour, Tarasenko, OEL and Lundell. My hunch says letting Reinhart walk makes their decisions a little easier for everyone else. Lundell turns 23 in early October. Should the Penguins give up a 1st and a 3rd, and sign Lundell to an offer sheet of 5M AAV (1st and 3rd offer needs to be between 4.58M and 6.8M)?

Necas, Perfetti, Byfield, Middlestadt, Swayman, and Dawson Mercer were some of the others on the list. Lundell seems the most likely target, though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:59 am The Athletic has a piece today on top 10 players that other teams should offer sheet.

#1 on the list is Anton Lundell. Everyone knows Florida is a going to be in a cap crunch. From what I have reviewed, unless they decide to trade young goalie Spencer Knight (4.5M AAV for 2 more years), I don't see how they can keep Reinhart, Montour, Tarasenko, OEL and Lundell. My hunch says letting Reinhart walk makes their decisions a little easier for everyone else. Lundell turns 23 in early October. Should the Penguins give up a 1st and a 3rd, and sign Lundell to an offer sheet of 5M AAV (1st and 3rd offer needs to be between 4.58M and 6.8M)?

Necas, Perfetti, Byfield, Middlestadt, Swayman, and Dawson Mercer were some of the others on the list. Lundell seems the most likely target, though.
Tarasenko and OEL are prime candidates to let walk. I feel they could let Montour walk as well. No way they trade Knight. Bobrovsky might be a tough move, but he does only have 1 year remaining and if he wins a Cup, eat some salary and move him.

Any of those other names, outside Swayman, should be on Pen's radar.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:34 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:59 am The Athletic has a piece today on top 10 players that other teams should offer sheet.

Tarasenko and OEL are prime candidates to let walk. I feel they could let Montour walk as well. No way they trade Knight. Bobrovsky might be a tough move, but he does only have 1 year remaining and if he wins a Cup, eat some salary and move him.

Any of those other names, outside Swayman, should be on Pen's radar.
I see things a little differently for Florida, being close to the team. Reinhart wants to return, but I've run numbers even just giving him 8M AAV. It's hard to fit. Montour I think is going to be a priority for them. He's played very well, and RD are hard to find. Lundell, I think the hope is a 1 year bridge deal in the 2.5-3M range. OEL is still getting 2.5M from ARZ/VAN buyout, so, he'll need to take a league minimum deal to stay. Tarasenko lives in South Florida in the offseason. He may take less to stay. The only other big contract that they could maybe look to move to make space for Reinhart would be Verhaeghe. I'm sure they'd hate to lose him, but, if they can fit all the other pieces, Reinhart>>>Verhaeghe. Verhaeghe only has 1 year left on his deal.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Moves like this are exactly what I pray they avoid.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:29 pm

Why? Just curious. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Moves like this, for good, already established NHL players under age 24, are the exact type of moves you should prioritize as the ONLY type you would move a Yager, or spend that 1st round pick. A first round pick typically has about a 75% chance of playing more than 200 NHL games. Of those, there's probably about a 50% chance in a good draft year that a first round forward pick hits half a point per game or better production.

So, if I were going to have to give up a 1st for the Penguins, in the state they are in now...a player like Lundell or Pinto, both under 24 years old, would be where I'd be willing to take that risk.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Reportedly, David Pagnotta of the 4th period had said Vegas, LA, Colorado, or Utah are supposedly the most likely landing spots for Reilly Smith. Didn't hear this or see this myself, saw it second hand reported.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:20 pm Reportedly, David Pagnotta of the 4th period had said Vegas, LA, Colorado, or Utah are supposedly the most likely landing spots for Reilly Smith. Didn't hear this or see this myself, saw it second hand reported.
Utah makes a lot of sense. They've got a ton of picks and could flip him at the deadline if it doesn't work out
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I would take a 3rd and a prospect, or Jack McBain straight up. McBain could be 3C or 3LW, and plays a heavy, 200 foot game. Probably the closest thing we could ever get as an enforcer type that Sullivan might play because he's good defensively. RFA after this season, only makes 1.599M this year.

If this team added McBain and Duhaime to the bottom 6, they'd add 2 guys that can skate, hit, and bring a lot of energy to the bottom 6. McBain turns 25 in January. Duhaime turned 27 in May. Still youthful adds. Over the past 3 seasons, Duhaime is 17th and McBain is 22nd in hits from forwards.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

thehockeyguru wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:27 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:20 pm Reportedly, David Pagnotta of the 4th period had said Vegas, LA, Colorado, or Utah are supposedly the most likely landing spots for Reilly Smith. Didn't hear this or see this myself, saw it second hand reported.
Utah makes a lot of sense. They've got a ton of picks and could flip him at the deadline if it doesn't work out
If I were a player knowing that I am being shopped, I tell my agent to get me to Utah. First year franchise, no established franchise stats, playing in front of a raucous home crowd, and having the ability to be known around town as a legitimate NHL player (comped food and bar tabs, anyone?).

Utah (whatever the team name is), here I come.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:14 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:29 pm

Why? Just curious. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Moves like this, for good, already established NHL players under age 24, are the exact type of moves you should prioritize as the ONLY type you would move a Yager, or spend that 1st round pick. A first round pick typically has about a 75% chance of playing more than 200 NHL games. Of those, there's probably about a 50% chance in a good draft year that a first round forward pick hits half a point per game or better production.

So, if I were going to have to give up a 1st for the Penguins, in the state they are in now...a player like Lundell or Pinto, both under 24 years old, would be where I'd be willing to take that risk.
Because IMO it’s stupid to pay a player 5M that has taken a step back the past 2 seasons. U can find a 13-15 goal guy much cheaper. It’s basically a project that could pay off, but I would rather keep the 2 draft picks and the $$….I also think they land in a pretty attractive draft spot TBH.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

I should have mentioned, I do get the logic around your approach, and I do think he has more upside and is a good player, just not for the cost…..
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:19 pm I should have mentioned, I do get the logic around your approach, and I do think he has more upside and is a good player, just not for the cost…..
Fair enough. I've seen Lundell play a lot, and I do think he has more to offer. He's being asked to play a different system now. I think he is a player that, offensive production wise, has taken a step backwards under Paul Maurice. Last year, I recall him playing a lot more wing than center. I also think in his rookie season, he played a lot more on Barkov's left wing than at 3C. So playing lower in the lineup (also affected by Bennett's addition) and the system have dropped his numbers. But, he's still 22. His output to date is similar to Shane Pinto, who is a year older but has played less total games. I think Lundell has the ability to top out as a 25 goal, 70 point player, which are pretty fine numbers for a 2C in this league. I'd also say he's more Barkov than Crosby...his all around game is good, at the sacrifice of some additional offense.

But, I understand your logic as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Anyone think we should be in on Rutger McGroarty? 14th overall pick in 2022 by Winnipeg. The Athletic is reporting he is likely to be traded before the draft. He decided to forgo his additional years at Michigan to turn pro, however, he apparently has more confidence in his game than Winnipeg does. McGroarty believes he can make the jump to the NHL now. Winnipeg would not give him any assurances that he will make the big club, which has led to a disagreement in his career path. Said to not be an issue with the "city", but more he wants to go somewhere that is going to give him a better than average chance to make an NHL team.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:20 pm Anyone think we should be in on Rutger McGroarty? 14th overall pick in 2022 by Winnipeg. The Athletic is reporting he is likely to be traded before the draft. He decided to forgo his additional years at Michigan to turn pro, however, he apparently has more confidence in his game than Winnipeg does. McGroarty believes he can make the jump to the NHL now. Winnipeg would not give him any assurances that he will make the big club, which has led to a disagreement in his career path. Said to not be an issue with the "city", but more he wants to go somewhere that is going to give him a better than average chance to make an NHL team.
Absolutely. Pickering is from Winnipeg area I believe. Maybe Pickering ++ would interest Winnipeg?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Guess you don't need to be a physical specimen to be the future all time leading goal scorer! eat up :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Smith changing agents...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:15 pm

Smith changing agents...
I don't know who his agent was before (PuckPedia is good with this but they already updated), but he is now represented by Pat Brisson at CAA.

EDIT: I see in the graphic it was Paul Capizzano of Quartexx Management. Capizzano also is agent for Bunting. Capizzano ranks 16th in total client contract value. Brisson is #1.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:59 pm
KG wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:15 pm

Smith changing agents...
I don't know who his agent was before (PuckPedia is good with this but they already updated), but he is now represented by Pat Brisson at CAA.

EDIT: I see in the graphic it was Paul Capizzano of Quartexx Management. Capizzano also is agent for Bunting. Capizzano ranks 16th in total client contract value. Brisson is #1.
We'd better get used to using PuckPedia I guess. I'll remove CF from my bookmarks and start the process for myself now rather than later
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The Athletic apparently continued their series of roster reviews, today ranking teams by their winger depth. Penguins ranked 23rd. Named Rust as their best winger, and said they need another top 6 winger that pushes Rakell or Smith (if not traded) down the lineup. I guess they are assuming DOC is in the top 6 now.

Separate from that article:
One thing on DOC, he clocked the 7th fastest skating speed last year (behind Karlsson, Crosby, and Carter...and a few injury fill in players). He also broke 22mph 15 times, most on the team (Karlsson 2nd at 8 times). DOC also lead the teams in number of times over 20+ mph, at 243. Crosby was 2nd at 181 times. For # of times exceeding 18mph, DOC was 2nd only to Crosby. Crosby at 667, DOC 648.

Just throwing this out there because DOC appears to be a lot faster than maybe some of us realize. I knew he had some wheels, but some of these speed numbers were top 10-20 in the league last year.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Yohe just published an article on 5 free agents the Penguins should target:

1) DeBrusk - said he a good, not great player, but many teams are going to be in on him. If they got him, they'd play him next to Crosby, bump DOC to 3rd line, and their overall depth would look good.

2) Max Domi - Says he has been rumored here so many times. Would add to center depth, and be better than just about everyone in their current bottom 6.

3) Dakota Joshua - Mentions his size and physical play would be a welcome addition to our bottom 6, but, he's had one good season so far, his shooting percentage isn't sustainable, and need to avoid overpaying.

4) Tyler Bertuzzi

5) Guentzel

I like DeBrusk, but he's likely going to be overpaid by someone. Ditto on Joshua. Domi and Bertuzzi may end up being cheaper options than people think, and I just don't see the stars aligning for Guentzel to return.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:16 pm Yohe just published an article on 5 free agents the Penguins should target:

1) DeBrusk - said he a good, not great player, but many teams are going to be in on him. If they got him, they'd play him next to Crosby, bump DOC to 3rd line, and their overall depth would look good.

2) Max Domi - Says he has been rumored here so many times. Would add to center depth, and be better than just about everyone in their current bottom 6.

3) Dakota Joshua - Mentions his size and physical play would be a welcome addition to our bottom 6, but, he's had one good season so far, his shooting percentage isn't sustainable, and need to avoid overpaying.

4) Tyler Bertuzzi

5) Guentzel

I like DeBrusk, but he's likely going to be overpaid by someone. Ditto on Joshua. Domi and Bertuzzi may end up being cheaper options than people think, and I just don't see the stars aligning for Guentzel to return.
I'd be fine with Domi at 3C. Does he PK?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:24 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:16 pm Yohe just published an article on 5 free agents the Penguins should target:

4) Tyler Bertuzzi

5) Guentzel

I'd be fine with Domi at 3C. Does he PK?
No. That would likely be a large issue for Sullivan. He has under 5 minutes of total SH TOI in the last 3 years.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

I'd like to think all those guys are all out of our price range.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

For the Pens to have a more active and fun off-season we need to move out Smith with zero retention. That extra $5mill in cap space would be nice to have.