Pens Sign Ned

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens Sign Ned

Post by Antonio »

Sigwolf wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:58 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:26 pm
Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:42 am
Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 pm Ned isn’t a starter. Who yinz trading Jarry for? I would keep him but teams should be interested in him, even though most around here don’t.
He started the entire final month of the season and nearly pulled the team into the playoffs.
.... And let in 20some goals over the final 5-6 games (or something like that) when we were desperate for points. All the talk was around whether he was tired. He's a career backup. There's nothing wrong with that. The same thing happened with DeSmith when he had to start a bunch of games in a row. Solid backup, below average/poor starter. It is what it is....
So... much like Jarry at the end of every season?
Exactly
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Antonio wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:21 pm
Sigwolf wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:58 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:26 pm
Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:42 am
Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 pm Ned isn’t a starter. Who yinz trading Jarry for? I would keep him but teams should be interested in him, even though most around here don’t.
He started the entire final month of the season and nearly pulled the team into the playoffs.
.... And let in 20some goals over the final 5-6 games (or something like that) when we were desperate for points. All the talk was around whether he was tired. He's a career backup. There's nothing wrong with that. The same thing happened with DeSmith when he had to start a bunch of games in a row. Solid backup, below average/poor starter. It is what it is....
So... much like Jarry at the end of every season?
Exactly
We have two backup goaltenders under contract. Just like last season.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Madden says he's been told the Pens are going to try to trade Jarry. Also said Sully/management weren't happy that Jarry was basically indifferent to Ned getting the starts late in the season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:05 am Madden says he's been told the Pens are going to try to trade Jarry. Also said Sully/management weren't happy that Jarry was basically indifferent to Ned getting the starts late in the season.
Makes a lot of sense. The fact that Sully didn't start him the last game of the season showed what they think of him. Hopefully KD can move him out. Don't expect a great return.

I could see Ottawa having interest if they think the cost to acquire Ullmark is too high.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:54 am
Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:05 am Madden says he's been told the Pens are going to try to trade Jarry. Also said Sully/management weren't happy that Jarry was basically indifferent to Ned getting the starts late in the season.
Makes a lot of sense. The fact that Sully didn't start him the last game of the season showed what they think of him. Hopefully KD can move him out. Don't expect a great return.

I could see Ottawa having interest if they think the cost to acquire Ullmark is too high.
OTT, DET, and SEA (would have to buy out Grubauer) seem like possible destinations. OTT and DET need better goaltending if they want to go from fringe playoff team to in the playoffs. SEA made playoffs last year, out this year.

Give me Jagger Firkus and a pick for Jarry from Seattle. (If you don't know, Firkus is Brayden Yager's linemate on Moose Jaw)

For DET, give me Joe Veleno and a pick for Jarry.
For OTT, I'd want a bigger deal where somehow we end up with Chychrun or Pinto, and obviously add more than Jarry to the deal. If none of those, Jarry and POJ for Brannstrom and a pick.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:06 am

OTT, DET, and SEA (would have to buy out Grubauer) seem like possible destinations. OTT and DET need better goaltending if they want to go from fringe playoff team to in the playoffs. SEA made playoffs last year, out this year.

Give me Jagger Firkus and a pick for Jarry from Seattle. (If you don't know, Firkus is Brayden Yager's linemate on Moose Jaw)

For OTT, I'd want a bigger deal where somehow we end up with Chychrun or Pinto, and obviously add more than Jarry to the deal. If none of those, Jarry and POJ for Brannstrom and a pick.
I don’t think they’re going to get anything that good for Jarry, particularly if they’re unwilling to retain for four more seasons, which they should be. Take a 4th round pick and run if you can unload that contract. He plays at $5.3 million the way other goalies making $2 million play
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Jarry has term, could definitely see a fit here. We could take back Husso to make the money work and he only has 1 year left on his contract.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:29 am
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:06 am

I don’t think they’re going to get anything that good for Jarry, particularly if they’re unwilling to retain for four more seasons, which they should be. Take a 4th round pick and run if you can unload that contract. He plays at $5.3 million the way other goalies making $2 million play
I'm not expecting a big return. Other than Ottawa, I don't think any of those are really big returns. And Ottawa would likely have to send us Forsberg back in a deal to clear some goalie salary off their books.

But, teams need goalies, and, I don't think enough coaches/GMs in the league see that there are a few elite/top tier goalies, and then everyone else is largely grouped relatively close together.

We shall see.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Just saw something that says rumor OTT is looking at Ullmark, but BOS asking price is either Pinto or Chychrun.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:00 pm Just saw something that says rumor OTT is looking at Ullmark, but BOS asking price is either Pinto or Chychrun.
Think the holdup is Ottawa wanting an extension. Ullmark is in the last year of his deal. Ottawa can't trade a big piece like that if it's just for a rental. We'll see a lot over the next week!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:32 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:00 pm Just saw something that says rumor OTT is looking at Ullmark, but BOS asking price is either Pinto or Chychrun.
Think the holdup is Ottawa wanting an extension. Ullmark is in the last year of his deal. Ottawa can't trade a big piece like that if it's just for a rental. We'll see a lot over the next week!
Zero reason for Ullmark to sign an extension unless it's a big overpayment
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

There should be a market for Jarry. Someone will take a flyer on a guy that lead the league in shutouts.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Honestly getting out of his contract is the "asset" in a Jarry trade. Anything else on top is bonus.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KBone wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:01 pm Honestly getting out of his contract is the "asset" in a Jarry trade. Anything else on top is bonus.
Yes, but if there's a taker, there will be a return. I'm thinking a 2nd at 1M retained, but will settle for a bag of frozen pucks if his contract disappears.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’d see if Sens would be interested in Smith, Graves and Jarry for Korpisalo and Chychrun and see if they are dumb enough to accept.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

If I'm the Sens I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Murray trade. I wouldn't be too keen on another Pens goalie
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:07 pm If I'm the Sens I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Murray trade. I wouldn't be too keen on another Pens goalie
Shouldn't the Sens bad taste from the Murray trade be cancelled by our bad taste from the Brassard trade? :lol:
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:20 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:07 pm If I'm the Sens I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Murray trade. I wouldn't be too keen on another Pens goalie
Shouldn't the Sens bad taste from the Murray trade be cancelled by our bad taste from the Brassard trade? :lol:
Touche
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Was thinking about our goaltender depth a little bit today and...I just cannot see how the Penguins don't move Jarry if there is a taker. One reason that Taylor Haase pointed out....I forgot they signed Filip Larsson from Europe. Larsson has yet to play an NHL game, but, he had the top GAA in the SHL, 2nd in SV%, and tied for 1st with 5 shutouts. There's no way that Larsson, age 25, left the SHL to come over and be an AHL backup goalie. But if Jarry and Ned are your NHL tandem, that's exactly what Larsson is, because Blomqvist is going to be the starter.

The Penguins also have highly touted college prospect Taylor Gauthier. Last seasons was his 2nd year in Pittsburgh system and he turned 23 in February. His first season, he split time between AHL and ECHL. Last year, he played only 4 games in the AHL and 42 games in the ECHL....and was named the ECHL goalie of the year. Gauthier, too, needs to be playing AHL minutes.

The best case scenario....trade Jarry. Ned becomes your starter, Blomqvist becomes backup. Larsson has played a whole 17 games in the AHL/ECHL. Give him half a season to get acclimated (although, he came from NCAA/USHL) to pro game in North America. Then you have Larsson come up and be the backup should Blomqvist falter.

If everyone is struggling, then you sign someone mid-year to add to the mix....a Jack Campbell if he's bought out, or a UFA that didn't get picked up.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Ideally, that is true. But the other, less palatable option is that Dubas moves one or more of the younger goalies...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Chris Johnson on his podcast today said the Pens will "certainly try to trade Jarry." and they didn't sign Ned to keep Jarry.

Wonder if KD knows he can move Jarry which is why he signed Ned now? Curious to see how this plays out. Hopefully it winds up in a trade.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sigwolf wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:33 pm Ideally, that is true. But the other, less palatable option is that Dubas moves one or more of the younger goalies...
They could, but let's think that through a bit. Take Ned and Jarry out of the equation.

--There's zero reason to move Blomqvist. He's our best goalie prospect at the moment. Murashov is supposed to be a solid goalie prospect as well, but, he's played 7 total games in the KHL, versus 70 games in the MHL (KHL 2nd league). We really don't know what we have yet in Murashov. I guess a dark horse would be if the Penguins drafted a young goalie this year and decided to move Blomqvist, but, with as well as he played last season, it seems unwise to move him.

--I mentioned Larsson already. We just signed him. It is very, very rare to sign a guy, have him never play any game for you at any level, and trade him. Just pretty unheard of, so, I think you can rule out Larsson getting traded...unless due to the goalie logjam, he asks to be moved at some point later in the season.

--Gauthier would be the most likely candidate, but, moving him does the least to impact the goalie pecking order. You still have Blomqvist who should be pushing for NHL work, and you still have Larsson, who likely wants AHL starter time or a shot at the NHL level as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:44 pm Chris Johnson on his podcast today said the Pens will "certainly try to trade Jarry." and they didn't sign Ned to keep Jarry.

Wonder if KD knows he can move Jarry which is why he signed Ned now? Curious to see how this plays out. Hopefully it winds up in a trade.
It kind of sounds like Ottawa and Ullmark will get done, but, the question is, what happens to the other 2 OTT goalies? OTT doesn't have a ton of cap space, and if they sign Ullmark to the deal he wants (5 years, 7M AAV), they'll have Ullmark at 7M, Korpisalo at 4M and Forsberg at 2.75M. I saw some talk that Forsberg was actually much better than Korpisalo before Forsberg injured his knees. He is supposed to be healthy entering camp. I don't know if Brandon Bussi is going to be relied on to be the backup, or maybe BOS will need to take Forsberg or preferably Korpisalo back in the deal.

Ullmark for Chychrun and Forsberg, something like that, could end up being the deal. But you are likely going to have an unhappy Korpisalo there, since after 1 year he's already booted from the starter role and not getting it back.

Anyways, if OTT and BOS deal falls through, I think they enter the mix. Otherwise, Jarry to DET makes the most sense, followed maybe by Seattle and maybe an outside shot at Utah or Calgary.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:45 pm
Sigwolf wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:33 pm Ideally, that is true. But the other, less palatable option is that Dubas moves one or more of the younger goalies...
They could, but let's think that through a bit. Take Ned and Jarry out of the equation.

--There's zero reason to move Blomqvist. He's our best goalie prospect at the moment. Murashov is supposed to be a solid goalie prospect as well, but, he's played 7 total games in the KHL, versus 70 games in the MHL (KHL 2nd league). We really don't know what we have yet in Murashov. I guess a dark horse would be if the Penguins drafted a young goalie this year and decided to move Blomqvist, but, with as well as he played last season, it seems unwise to move him.

--I mentioned Larsson already. We just signed him. It is very, very rare to sign a guy, have him never play any game for you at any level, and trade him. Just pretty unheard of, so, I think you can rule out Larsson getting traded...unless due to the goalie logjam, he asks to be moved at some point later in the season.

--Gauthier would be the most likely candidate, but, moving him does the least to impact the goalie pecking order. You still have Blomqvist who should be pushing for NHL work, and you still have Larsson, who likely wants AHL starter time or a shot at the NHL level as well.
I think Dubas is going to take a wait and see approach, unless he gets a really good offer for Jarry. See if Blomqvist can build off of last season and go into the season with Ned/Jarry with Blomqvist ready in the wings. Not that he isn’t ready, but we’ve seen rookies have that sophomore jinx. See how Blomqvist adjusts to the offseason adjustments by other teams before giving him the reigns.

If Dubas gets a can’t resist deal for Jarry, sure, but I haven’t seen a goalie go for a kings ransom in awhile.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:10 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:45 pm

I think Dubas is going to take a wait and see approach, unless he gets a really good offer for Jarry. See if Blomqvist can build off of last season and go into the season with Ned/Jarry with Blomqvist ready in the wings. Not that he isn’t ready, but we’ve seen rookies have that sophomore jinx. See how Blomqvist adjusts to the offseason adjustments by other teams before giving him the reigns.

If Dubas gets a can’t resist deal for Jarry, sure, but I haven’t seen a goalie go for a kings ransom in awhile.
That's entirely possible, that he waits. I don't think he should deal him just to deal him, and I don't think we are going to get a great return. But, not dealing him causes problems with our goalie development. None of Blomqvist, Larsson or Gauthier belong in the ECHL at this point, so someone is getting royally screwed if a goalie isn't moved.

I could potentially see a deal with Detroit. I would love to see something like Jarry and Smith to DET for Joe Veleno and a 3rd. Wings only have 6 forwards signed. Smith would help them fill a slot, even if we had to retain a bit. I thought about Husso coming back, but that doesn't help our goalie logjam. If DET were to get Jarry, I think they'd just have to end up buying out Husso if they become cap strapped. Would save them 3M this year, but cost them 1.5M next year.