Pens Sign Ned

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Pens Sign Ned

Post by Cow_Master66 »

2 year, 5M
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens Sign Ned

Post by Antonio »

I am good with that.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Good signing
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Welcome back Ned.

I would like this even more if we bring in another goalie cheaper than Jarry.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:23 pm Welcome back Ned.

I would like this even more if we bring in another goalie cheaper than Jarry.
Trade Jarry and find another Ned.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

I like it. Figured another year or two on length but good value nonetheless.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Nice work, GMKD.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Apparently Freidman/Marek said Jarry's name is out there....Really hope we finally move on from Jarry without having to take back too bad of a contract (unless we get a solid prospect back).
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Jarry and Smith for ???
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KBone wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:21 pm Jarry and Smith for ???
Jarry, Smith and Pickering for Chychrun and Pinto :lol: :fist:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:27 pm
KBone wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:21 pm Jarry and Smith for ???
Jarry, Smith and Pickering for Chychrun and Pinto :lol: :fist:
OTT loaded at LD, hence why they are open to moving Chychrun. Jarry, Smith, a 2nd and Poulin/Ponomarev (OTT might want a center after losing Pinto) for Pinto, Chychrun and Anton Forsberg.

The other team I would look at would be Detroit. Jarry for Joe Veleno and a 2nd. Sebastian Cossa is supposed to be their goalie of the future, but, from what I have read, he's regressed and won't be ready anytime soon.

I think getting Chychrun and Pinto (maybe even one) is likely a pipe dream, as much as I would love to do it. The Detroit trade seems much more doable.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Shocking yet again at the experts who make millions to do this for a living apparently knowing less than people who are just schmos with real jobs and fans. I mean, how many people screamed at what a stupid idea resigning jarry was, especially for that stupid contract and here they are already tring (correctly) to escape it. Almost like being a "hockey pro" executive means a whole lot of nothing a lot of the time.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Be a NHL fan long enough and you realize there are a lot of dumb GMs out there... your best hope is that it's not yours.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Ned isn’t a starter. Who yinz trading Jarry for? I would keep him but teams should be interested in him, even though most around here don’t.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Ok, say we just split blom and ned (just a quick theory not a suggestion... just as an example). How many more additional points do we honestly think the team will get if we swap jarry and blom + whatever we could spend the extra 4m on? I personally would just say get another low level ned type for 1.5m or so... plenty of those around. Jarry isn't generating some high delta in points over a cheaper option.
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by tman1737 »

Does Jarry's contract have a NMC or NTC??
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

No complaints with this move.Moving on from Jarry is something the future of the Pens Organization simply needs.Signing him ended up being a mistake which had a part on these last 2 Non-Playoff Seasons.Not putting it all on Jarry but his play from February to April in both Years didn't get it done.

Look to sign another guy similar to Ned and get Blomqvist into the mix during the 2024-25 Season.And please do not trade Draft Picks or Younger Prospects.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Antonio wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:24 pm Ok, say we just split blom and ned (just a quick theory not a suggestion... just as an example). How many more additional points do we honestly think the team will get if we swap jarry and blom + whatever we could spend the extra 4m on? I personally would just say get another low level ned type for 1.5m or so... plenty of those around. Jarry isn't generating some high delta in points over a cheaper option.
Yeah, it seems like $7.8 million combined is too much to pay for a mediocre tandem. If they traded Jarry and got another backup/bounce-back candidate to pair with Nedjelkovic, they could potentially save ~$3 million and get about the same performance.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

tman1737 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:47 pm Does Jarry's contract have a NMC or NTC??
Jarry has a 12 team no trade list.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:52 pm
Antonio wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:24 pm Ok, say we just split blom and ned (just a quick theory not a suggestion... just as an example). How many more additional points do we honestly think the team will get if we swap jarry and blom + whatever we could spend the extra 4m on? I personally would just say get another low level ned type for 1.5m or so... plenty of those around. Jarry isn't generating some high delta in points over a cheaper option.
Yeah, it seems like $7.8 million combined is too much to pay for a mediocre tandem. If they traded Jarry and got another backup/bounce-back candidate to pair with Nedjelkovic, they could potentially save ~$3 million and get about the same performance.
In this day and age, you either have a stud goalie (Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Sorokin, maybe Oettinger) or you are likely paying too much for average goaltending.

In reality, the Penguins would likely be better off paying Ned and Blomma a little over 3M combined, and spending the savings on improving the defense. Unfortunately, Hextall passing on Chychrun, leaving Dubas to go after Karlsson, and then put the cherry on top by adding Graves, may have screwed us there, too. Chychrun is a much more rounded player than Graves. Chychrun only makes 100k more than Graves.

Honestly, if I'm Dubas, I start talking to OTT to see if I can pull something off around Jarry for Chychrun and Forsberg (cap dump by OTT). Maybe we add another pick or prospect, but MP, Chychrun, Graves/POJ down the left side would be an improvement.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:24 pm
tman1737 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:47 pm Does Jarry's contract have a NMC or NTC??
Jarry has a 12 team no trade list.
Does the NHLPA or the NHL publish these lists? Are they available for public viewing? I have always been curious.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Those lists will never ever be made public.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 pm Ned isn’t a starter. Who yinz trading Jarry for? I would keep him but teams should be interested in him, even though most around here don’t.
He started the entire final month of the season and nearly pulled the team into the playoffs.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:42 am
Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 pm Ned isn’t a starter. Who yinz trading Jarry for? I would keep him but teams should be interested in him, even though most around here don’t.
He started the entire final month of the season and nearly pulled the team into the playoffs.
Yes. He was relied upon as the starter for 1 month, that's it.... And let in 20some goals over the final 5-6 games (or something like that) when we were desperate for points. All the talk was around whether he was tired. He's a career backup. There's nothing wrong with that. The same thing happened with DeSmith when he had to start a bunch of games in a row. Solid backup, below average/poor starter. It is what it is....
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:26 pm
Pitts wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:42 am
.... And let in 20some goals over the final 5-6 games (or something like that) when we were desperate for points. All the talk was around whether he was tired. He's a career backup. There's nothing wrong with that. The same thing happened with DeSmith when he had to start a bunch of games in a row. Solid backup, below average/poor starter. It is what it is....
So... much like Jarry at the end of every season?