Jake to Carolina

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jake to Carolina

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:36 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:26 am If I am Jake's agent, I am waiting until Konecny signs this summer:
https://www.thefourthperiod.com/dimarco ... t-it-means

Jake is in line to get 10M+

Good for him, no idea how Carolina will keep him though.
Does Jake want 10M or a shot at a cup? He will get one of the two and is worth either
If I'm Jake I'm looking at this contract as my last shot to make a huge payday. I would take the highest offer. I'm sure he will negotiate a NTC where he can always get traded to a contender in a few years etc.

Make the money while you can.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:26 am If I am Jake's agent, I am waiting until Konecny signs this summer:

Does Jake want 10M or a shot at a cup? He will get one of the two and is worth either
There are teams that can give him both. I just don't think Carolina is one of them.
The Canucks for example could trade Boeser this summer and sign Jake. JR knows Jake well and I could see them giving him 10M.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

My top 5 guesses of where Jake lands:
-Canes
-Canucks
-Rangers
-Pens
-Stars

Canes probably re-sign him. He fit in perfectly.
JR wanted him and he usually finds a way to get what he wants
New York always seems to be in the mix for guys like Jake and the city is a place players like to be
Sid might be a factor still, if Dubas even wants Jake back?
Stars have the space and could be a sleeper this summer
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:34 am My top 5 guesses of where Jake lands:
-Canes
-Canucks
-Rangers
-Pens
-Stars

Canes probably re-sign him. He fit in perfectly.
JR wanted him and he usually finds a way to get what he wants
New York always seems to be in the mix for guys like Jake and the city is a place players like to be
Sid might be a factor still, if Dubas even wants Jake back?
Stars have the space and could be a sleeper this summer
I think the Canes will get him re-signed, especially with Necas seemingly wanting out of town. They can trade Necas's rights and pull in some nice picks/prospects, or maybe even find someone with a solid d-man to replace Skjei/Pesce if they cannot get one of them re-signed.

Canucks would be a good second option, and, after the Rangers got bounced last night, I saw a lot of Rangers fans complaining that Guentzel should have been their add, needed more help on the wings.

I don't see him back with the Penguins. I just don't, for the giant fact that Dubas apparently made zero attempt to bring him back. I think there's some bad blood there from Jake's side, and, if it is 100% true that Dubas didn't even make an offer, then I think he has moved on and wants to spend that money in a different way or on a different type of player.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If we are led to believe the rumors that the Rangers didn't want to part with Kakko for Jake as a rental. Could certainly be viewed as a misstep by Drury and the Rangers. Some seasons you have to go for it. I think the Rangers were scared off from the Kane/Tarasenko deals last season that messed with their chemistry. So they went smaller ticket adds in Wennberg and Roslovic.

I also don't think they are a great team. They have a great goalie and some very solid pieces but they rely too much on their goalie and PP. I'm glad they are out. Was so sick about hearing about the 94 team and this is a team of destiny? Get over yourself. 1 cup in 83 years.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:08 pm If we are led to believe the rumors that the Rangers didn't want to part with Kakko for Jake as a rental. Could certainly be viewed as a misstep by Drury and the Rangers. Some seasons you have to go for it. I think the Rangers were scared off from the Kane/Tarasenko deals last season that messed with their chemistry. So they went smaller ticket adds in Wennberg and Roslovic.

I also don't think they are a great team. They have a great goalie and some very solid pieces but they rely too much on their goalie and PP. I'm glad they are out. Was so sick about hearing about the 94 team and this is a team of destiny? Get over yourself. 1 cup in 83 years.
All of that + Trouba has the same code of ethics as the wad of gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:08 pm If we are led to believe the rumors that the Rangers didn't want to part with Kakko for Jake as a rental. Could certainly be viewed as a misstep by Drury and the Rangers. Some seasons you have to go for it. I think the Rangers were scared off from the Kane/Tarasenko deals last season that messed with their chemistry. So they went smaller ticket adds in Wennberg and Roslovic.

Agree with all of Your points.Talented top end guys up front,an improving young player in Lafrieniere and an excellent Goaltender,They decided that going without a Checking Line would work.Their PP was good enough to get them by Carolina but at no point were they the better team at Even Strength in that Series.Florida dismantled them for 6 straight games.Igor got them 2 Wins that prolonged the inevitable.

The NY Media did every thing they could to pump that group up.From the Matt Rempe idiocy to defending a guy in Jacob Trouba who has spent his entire career doing his best to injure opponents with targeted head shots.ESPN having Mark Messier and Steve Levy as their Studio guys added to the hype.They all are not happy to see Florida in this Final against the Oil.The latest excuse from their Organization is that Florida got away with rough tactics that went unpenalized and didn't get their PP the chances they needed to win the series.Which covers up the fact that they have flaws and aren't able to handle the grind of getting to the Finals.

The Revisionist History regarding their franchise doesn't cut it.1 Cup in 84 Years.1 Finals Appearance in the last 30.Not on par with the 2 other NY based teams with 7 Cups between them.And not even in the discussion with the Penguins History.The Facts strike down the narrative with ease.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Not sure Chicago should be spending all that cash on a 29 year old Jake. But stranger things have happened. Hoping he doesn't re-sign in Carolina, then the trade looks even better for us.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Per Friedman, Carolina is shopping Jake’s UFA rights for a mid round draft pick so looks like Canes are out
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:58 pm

Not sure Chicago should be spending all that cash on a 29 year old Jake. But stranger things have happened. Hoping he doesn't re-sign in Carolina, then the trade looks even better for us.
Only benefit I'd see is that we play against him less. Former Pens have a habit of doing damage to their old team.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Jake’s agent knows what he is doing. He didn’t let Jake sign before the cap increase announcement. Jake is going to get paid!! A lot!!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

KG wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 am

If I'm Jake I'm looking at this contract as my last shot to make a huge payday. I would take the highest offer. I'm sure he will negotiate a NTC where he can always get traded to a contender in a few years etc.

Make the money while you can.
Yeah, I agree. And honestly, I don’t think the Canes will win a Cup any time soon. Jake came over and was their best forward? Seriously? He’s a great player, don’t get me wrong, but where was everybody else?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

With cap increase I wish we could bring him back.. but he aint signing here for less than 9M?!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Pens4Life wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:30 am With cap increase I wish we could bring him back.. but he aint signing here for less than 9M?!
Well, he knows signing here means no more cups. So he HAS to get paid. I don’t think $9M will be enough.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:47 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:30 am With cap increase I wish we could bring him back.. but he aint signing here for less than 9M?!
Well, he knows signing here means no more cups. So he HAS to get paid. I don’t think $9M will be enough.
With new coach, 3-4 new players to F lines and maybe 1-2 changes to defensive pairs, new 1st goalie, I think we could be contender for the last time..

So essentially approx. 2-3 trades, few UFA signings.. but Dubas hands are tied a bit, especially with coach!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:48 am
With new coach, 3-4 new players to F lines and maybe 1-2 changes to defensive pairs, new 1st goalie, I think we could be contender for the last time..

So essentially approx. 2-3 trades, few UFA signings.. but Dubas hands are tied a bit, especially with coach!
I don’t think Jake would know that beforehand.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:48 am

We might make the playoffs. I'll give you that. I'd rate our chances in the 10-15% range to make WC2. If that happens great!

Contender? Nah. That ship sailed, sunk to the bottom and is starting to rot while housing all kinds of fish.

We need to replace far more than we have assets for.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Canucks expected to make strong play on Jake:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/vanco ... ree-agency
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:42 pm Canucks expected to make strong play on Jake:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/vanco ... ree-agency
Canucks likely gonna need to move Conor Garland or Ilya Mikheyev to do it. They just signed Hronek to 8 year, 7.25M AAV deal, which leaves them 16M in cap space and 7 spots to fill out. Jake would take up at least half of that remaining cap space on his own, and Vancouver may have to greatly overpay due to Canadian taxes.