Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

Since it doesn't seem like the Pens will be going big-game fishing on July 1, here is an article of potential "value" UFA's.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2024- ... um=twitter

Duclair would be a solid get. He can play anywhere in the top 9 and add depth scoring and speed.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:42 am Since it doesn't seem like the Pens will be going big-game fishing on July 1, here is an article of potential "value" UFA's.

Duclair would be a solid get. He can play anywhere in the top 9 and add depth scoring and speed.
Pens need a 3C I would concentrate there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Zucker returns, he's good on the forecheck plays a fiesty game and clicked with Malkin. He shouldn't cost a lot and won't require a lot of term
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:49 am
KG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:42 am Since it doesn't seem like the Pens will be going big-game fishing on July 1, here is an article of potential "value" UFA's.

Pens need a 3C I would concentrate there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Zucker returns, he's good on the forecheck plays a fiesty game and clicked with Malkin. He shouldn't cost a lot and won't require a lot of term
100% I hope KD goes more the trade route as opposed to UFA. Kotkaniemi is young (23) has a long expensive contract 6 years $4.8AAV that Carolina is looking to get out of. We could get him for a song. Moves like that would make sense. Younger players. No more 34 year old UFA's unless it's on 1 year deals etc.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:59 am Parity in the NHL has caught up to the Penguins along with poor bench management. At the current level, I can't see any team winning the Cup two years in a row.
Gary Bettman's dream come true. Not sure if I like it or not. I suppose having "dynasties" winning several Cups in a row might turnoff large amounts of fan bases, so maybe it's good? Basically, most all fan bases can go into the year hoping this is the year their team comes together and makes that run?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:56 am

100% I hope KD goes more the trade route as opposed to UFA. Kotkaniemi is young (23) has a long expensive contract 6 years $4.8AAV that Carolina is looking to get out of. We could get him for a song. Moves like that would make sense. Younger players. No more 34 year old UFA's unless it's on 1 year deals etc.
As much as I think Kotkaniemi may be hitting the "bust" category (for a 3rd overall pick), he'd be a nice try at 3C. At that contract I really do not think he's that expensive other than length. But then again, 2-3 season down the road, that number might look really good.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I would be shocked if the Penguins added a 32 year old winger to their forward group after Dubas has been publicly on record banging the youth drum. Duclair at least is on the right side of 30. I could potentially see him. Kotkaniemi was mentioned...the only way I'd take on that contract is if Graves was going the other way, and honestly, a Kotkaniemi for Graves swap seems like maybe the only way we'd be able to dump Graves this offseason.

Build me a 3rd line with some physicality, scoring, and defense in mind and/or build me a 4th line with some physical energy guys and good defense.

Or we could just try and take 10 odds and ends and hope we can mold a bottom 6 out of them like we have for the last few seasons, since it has worked so very well.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Kingerski thinks the Pens should be in on Laine. I agree. If he's healthy and back, goal scorers like him don't grow on trees. He's only 26.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... hl-rumors/
Last edited by KG on Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:34 am Kingerski thinks the Pens should be in on Laine. I agree. If he's healthy and back goal scorers like him don't grow on trees. He's only 26.

I like it....hope we can get him.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Toke wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:47 am
KG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:34 am Kingerski thinks the Pens should be in on Laine. I agree. If he's healthy and back goal scorers like him don't grow on trees. He's only 26.

I like it....hope we can get him.
Hell, get Laine and Kotkaniemi to go with Pool Party. All top 5 picks with youth, sizes and some skill, some more than others. But it would certainly help (or should) the depth and scoring throughout the line-up. JK and Laine value is rather low at this time...may be a chance to offload a bad contract and/or get salary retained.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Why bother? Sullivan would probably have a fit with Laine so it would not matter. He would "teach" him how to play the game as a 200 ft plugger who scores 5 goals. Until Sullivan is gone, it is just going to be more of the same. We have already turned the entire roster over like 4 times in the last 6 years for chrissakes. THIS time will be different though!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Only way I do a trade for Laine is if Graves is going the other way without a pick or prospect too. If they want Smith with money retained to balance the cap hits that’s fine too. They could then move Smith with a reduced cost for assets if they want.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

So difficult to talk about trades as long as Sully is here, have any player improved under him the last years? Except some low tier players maybe. What is the point?

Just get picks and prospects and wait for a new coach.
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joeyg412 »

Drew O'Connor and Marcus Petterson say hi
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

MP has definitely swung upwards. DOC I would argue that while he has improved, I would posit legitimate questions as to the speed and actual trajectory of his "improvement" and wonder if it was as optimal and in the best possible ways. I'm not sure DOC wouldn't have become a different/better player faster somewhere else.

And as for his "successes" (I'll even just concede both for the sake of plurals and what a resume!...2 players after a decade)... I WOULD document the list of players that came here and collapsed after years of success, players that left here and succeeded after failing, players that left the league after showing enough promise to get a shot they never got, etc etc etc... but my carpal tunnel would never survive the strain of typing out such a Tolstoy-esque manuscript.

I stand by my position that's I've always held. Sullivan is a **** coach, without a stacked team of generational talent in their prime he can't and won't bring success (see Boston before he came here), if he goes to another team ever without that level of talent, he'll show absolutely nothing because he's a massively over hyped trash coach. Not everyone agrees and that's absolutely fine, it's my position (I mean I'm honestly astonished at the fact that anyone defends him but everyone is entitled to their opinions). Regardless of one's position on him as a coach overall though, I would say it's hard to argue his time here hasn't run it's course for one reason or another but here we are.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Antonio wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:14 pm MP has definitely swung upwards. DOC I would argue that while he has improved, I would posit legitimate questions as to the speed and actual trajectory of his "improvement" and wonder if it was as optimal and in the best possible ways. I'm not sure DOC wouldn't have become a different/better player faster somewhere else.

And as for his "successes" (I'll even just concede both for the sake of plurals and what a resume!...2 players after a decade)... I WOULD document the list of players that came here and collapsed after years of success, players that left here and succeeded after failing, players that left the league after showing enough promise to get a shot they never got, etc etc etc... but my carpal tunnel would never survive the strain of typing out such a Tolstoy-esque manuscript.

I stand by my position that's I've always held. Sullivan is a **** coach, without a stacked team of generational talent in their prime he can't and won't bring success (see Boston before he came here), if he goes to another team ever without that level of talent, he'll show absolutely nothing because he's a massively over hyped trash coach. Not everyone agrees and that's absolutely fine, it's my position (I mean I'm honestly astonished at the fact that anyone defends him but everyone is entitled to their opinions). Regardless of one's position on him as a coach overall though, I would say it's hard to argue his time here hasn't run it's course for one reason or another but here we are.
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Has Sullivan gotten a bit stale? Yes. Has he coached a team that made the playoffs the past two years—and should have? No.
I think Sullivan would have been gone by now save for the core three wanting him to stay around. I don't think he's the coach we'll want for a complete rebuild once these core players retire, but the message coming from management has to be they're all on board with him now and in the future.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

joeyg412 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:01 pm Drew O'Connor and Marcus Petterson say hi
Of course there are a few exceptions, thought everyone understod that. But there are far more that just have turned bad when they came here.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Last 5 years, players trending down with Penguins after trade or UFA signing:
--Karlsson, Acciari, Nieto, Graves, Smith, McGinn, Petry, Granlund, Rutta, Kulikov, Zucker, Sceviour, Galchenyuk, Kapanen

Last 5 years, players trending up with Penguins after trade or UFA signing:
--DOC, Pettersson, Eller, Nedeljkovic, Heinen, Rodrigues, Matheson, Ceci, Schultz

Last 5 years, players traded away or UFA walked who trended UP after leaving:
--Nylander, Poehling, McCann, Tanev, Rodrigues, Marino, Matheson, Gaudreau, Lafferty, Ceci, Schultz, Noesen

Players that are on both the trending up here and trending up after leaving did well in both areas (kind of like, why'd we let them go).
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:41 pm Last 5 years, players trending down with Penguins after trade or UFA signing:
--Karlsson, Acciari, Nieto, Graves, Smith, McGinn, Petry, Granlund, Rutta, Kulikov, Zucker, Sceviour, Galchenyuk, Kapanen

--DOC, Pettersson, Eller, Nedeljkovic, Heinen, Rodrigues, Matheson, Ceci, Schultz

--Nylander, Poehling, McCann, Tanev, Rodrigues, Marino, Matheson, Gaudreau, Lafferty, Ceci, Schultz, Noesen

Players that are on both the trending up here and trending up after leaving did well in both areas (kind of like, why'd we let them go).
The part that stings is that we didn't have to lose both McCann and Tanev. One, perhaps, but not both. That was squarely on Hextall mismanaging the expansion draft. And, of course, the botched Matheson and Marino deals. Doing nothing in those instances would've been the wise choice.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:24 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:41 pm Last 5 years, players trending down with Penguins after trade or UFA signing:

The part that stings is that we didn't have to lose both McCann and Tanev. One, perhaps, but not both. That was squarely on Hextall mismanaging the expansion draft. And, of course, the botched Matheson and Marino deals. Doing nothing in those instances would've been the wise choice.
I never really understood the Matheson trade out. To me, he did exactly what he needed to do here. He actually made his contract look a lot more desirable than it did with Florida, when it was considered one of the worst deals in the league. I think they wanted him to be more physical. Not his game. Petry was a complete and utter disaster.

Marino...he never lived up to that first season and there were rumors that his family was too involved in his contract negotiations. I think both players are an example of how the right coach and system can make or break a player. Matheson was good in Florida...coaching and system changed, and he struggled. Came to Pittsburgh, got back to more of his game and making his contract look ok. Went to Montreal, and flourished. Marino rebounded with NJ that first year too.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Not interested in Laine.

By the way, I am watching Game 3 and the Oilers PP is doing a stellar impression of the Penguins’. All perimeter, all the time. They just scored on a breakaway 5v5, but I think they’re going to be swept. 🧹.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ok looks like the season is finally almost over!

Que up the hot stove ! Trades, draft, free agency. Let’s go !
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

The Oilers look lost and disjointed. It's not impossible for them to win 4 but highly unlikely. Fla has 4 to win 1. Oilers can't lose one. Not the best of odds.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

stonewizard51 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:47 am The Oilers look lost and disjointed. It's not impossible for them to win 4 but highly unlikely. Fla has 4 to win 1. Oilers can't lose one. Not the best of odds.
Florida has really built a perfect mix of size, speed, physicality, offense and defense. Unfortunately though, they are going to lose at least one major piece this offseason, as it's next to impossible for them to keep Reinhart, Montour, and Lundell. Seems most likely that, even though he wants to stay, Reinhart would be the piece that leaves.

I'm not sure Edmonton is even going to be able to win one.
Especially if Connor McWherevid and Leon Drynogoals don't show up.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Edmonton is experiencing the "you gotta lose one in order to win one" scenario. If they learn from this loss, they could come back stronger next year. Just like Florida did. Just like the young Pens team from '08 did.

And the thing I see with McDavid right now is he's trying to do it all himself. He isn't using his team. I think he has some things to learn from this as well.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Edmonton is a flawed team, honestly. They don't have depth scoring, need a better overall D unit, and goaltending. I really am sort of surprised they made it this far...and I'm not trying to hate on them. They have 4 folks from my hometown Otters participating. This is all good experience but unless that correct moves are made in the offseason, it won't get much better. Unfortunately, it is sort of another wasted year of McDavid and LD. And there may be no guarantee the LD re-signs for the Oil. He's going into the last year of his deal.