Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Well, leave it to the Washington Capitals to invent new reasons for everyone, including Penguins fans, to hate them.

According to Elliott Friedman, the Capitals intend on purchasing CapFriendly and shuttering the site. They want the infrastructure/code for their own internal cap tracking purposes.

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:58 pm https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... y-website/

Capitals are buying Cap Friendly site? Random. I love Cap Friendly. Hopefully it doesn't change.
It'll get shutdown completely. Capitals intend to use the technology for themselves. Huge blow to the hockey community. That site is used by reporters, medias, and even some teams. The Capitals are essentially giving themselves a legal competitive advantage by buying it and shuttering it.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:37 pm
KG wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:58 pm https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... y-website/

Capitals are buying Cap Friendly site? Random. I love Cap Friendly. Hopefully it doesn't change.
It'll get shutdown completely. Capitals intend to use the technology for themselves. Huge blow to the hockey community. That site is used by reporters, medias, and even some teams. The Capitals are essentially giving themselves a legal competitive advantage by buying it and shuttering it.
Wow. Looks like it’s time for someone to start the site Cap Unfriendly…
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Oh for the love of...

CF is a great website. And the Caps are.. what exactly.. shutting it down completely? Building a paywall? I'm confused why they would.

Or are they simply purchasing the web address capfriendly.com? In which case the infrastructure can be migrated elsewhere? Though, EF says the contracts CF has with teams would be terminated. Eh.. colour me confused and worried.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:43 pm

Oh for the love of...

CF is a great website. And the Caps are.. what exactly.. shutting it down completely? Building a paywall? I'm confused why they would.

Or are they simply purchasing the web address capfriendly.com? In which case the infrastructure can be migrated elsewhere? Though, EF says the contracts CF has with teams would be terminated. Eh.. colour me confused and worried.
My understanding...the Capitals like the design and code and work that has been done via CapFriendly. They think it would improve their internal management of cap tracking and such. However, it would appear that by buying CapFriendly, they would also gain a huge competitive advantage by denying the use of CapFriendly to the other 31 teams in the league.

So, the Caps aren't going to "leave CapFriendly running internally, only for them." Their going to take the code CapFriendly is using and apply it to managing their own internal site, that they likely build from the ground up using CF code.

There's zero chance CF remains as a publicly available site. That's one of the main advantages of the Capitals shutting it down. It has happened frequently in the past when several of these analytics/website guru guys were hired by teams....Tyler Dellow, Sam Ventura, etc. Sites like War on Ice and such were shut down and that IP was considered part of team property.

Puckpedia certainly has a lot of useful information on it, but, if CapFriendly looks like it was done by 3 guys with MBA degrees, Puckpedia's cap layout pages look like they were done as a 6th grade science project. Throw in the smaller sites that CapFriendly gobbled up, like Armchair GM, Trade Machine, Mock Drafts, Scouting, etc....all those pieces are just going to be tossed in the garbage by the Capitals.

It should tell you how important the site was to the NHL community that, this apparently was in the works for a bit but it was decided the information was too valuable to shut down before the NHL draft. Others have commented, GMs, team officials, reporters, media, etc have all been captured with CapFriendly running in the background while doing an interview.

The Caps have not legally hurt NHL fans access to this data, but team sources, reporters and media as well.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Well, nobody does “***” like the Caps and their fans.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Hate to tell you but Capitals are going to take it offline around July 5 after the first few days of free agency. PuckPedia looks good though.

https://puckpedia.com/team/pittsburgh-penguins
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Honestly, **** as that is what the Caps are doing, it also highlights what a garbage low rent league the NHL still is. You are telling me that with something as fundamental to operations as cap management, the **** multimillion dollar enterprises that are NHL teams don't all have their own software and departments set up to run and analyze those things and need to rely on a 3rd party free to use commercial website on the internet? PA-thetic. I mean, so no one can figure out how to set up a similar software for themselves in the league without www. IrunanNHLteamforfree. com (Disclaimer: not a real site, not a real link, just made up nonsense for making a point :D )?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Antonio wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:57 pm Honestly, **** as that is what the Caps are doing, it also highlights what a garbage low rent league the NHL still is. You are telling me that with something as fundamental to operations as cap management, the **** multimillion dollar enterprises that are NHL teams don't all have their own software and departments set up to run and analyze those things and need to rely on a 3rd party free to use commercial website on the internet? PA-thetic. I mean, so no one can figure out how to set up a similar software for themselves in the league without www. IrunanNHLteamforfree. com (Disclaimer: not a real site, not a real link, just made up nonsense for making a point :D )?

Yeah, I don’t know how or why the NHL just doesn’t have their own version of cap friendly so problems like this don’t happen. Or the NHL should have just bought the site! Not the stupid Craps!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:50 pm

Hate to tell you but Capitals are going to take it offline around July 5 after the first few days of free agency. PuckPedia looks good though.

https://puckpedia.com/team/pittsburgh-penguins
I'll disagree. Puckpedia's layout is god awful. CapFriendly had to work at it, but, they had their system and layout down. It looks like a spreadsheet on a webpage. It's clear and concise.

Fair: https://puckpedia.com/team/pittsburgh-penguins

Better: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/pittsburgh- ... /year/2024

The Standard: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins

Puckpedia has way too much else going on before you can even see the cap information, and the layout of the fields and dynamic menus on the pages take up too much real estate.

The other big, big thing that I think people are overlooking....Free Agent finder tool, waiver calculator tool, contract comparable tool, buyout tool, injury history, waivers history, trade history, contract slides, simple stats, stats for AHL/ECHL level players, trade simulator, mock draft simulator, arm chair GM.

I've looked at what is out there today. Just like when Cap Geek creator passed away, it will take several years something existing today or something new to pop up and just get BACK to the level that Cap Friendly is at now.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

I don't know why people are still saying the Pens should start the full rebuild now. That would be a pretty drastic 180 after signing Malkin and Letang to extensions and trading for Karlsson. I think Dubas and the team have made it pretty clear that they are trying to remain competitive for the core's last years together (while still trying to get younger somehow). But the odds are just not in their favor. They don't have the prospects, the draft picks, the players to trade. I can't help but see a pretty long, painful stay in no-man's land of not making the playoffs but not committing to the rebuild before the bottom really falls out and they are forced to rebuild.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Sams_Dog wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:44 pm .... trying to remain competitive for the core's last years together....
This is why. I don't believe this team will be competitive before we face some facts and starts building a better team for the future.

Last season was I think everyone in the org wearing gold/black sunglasses and being in serious denial about how good we were going to be. We didn't get off the ground and the floor fell out from under us.

We don't have to fully overhaul everything in one season, we do need to fully overhaul everything. If that means Crosby carries new kids towards the top, instead of a few times not qualifying and some first round exits, then I can live with that.

Yeah it's a course reversal. Better to 180 than hit the iceberg.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:17 am
Sams_Dog wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:44 pm .... trying to remain competitive for the core's last years together....
This is why. I don't believe this team will be competitive before we face some facts and starts building a better team for the future.

Last season was I think everyone in the org wearing gold/black sunglasses and being in serious denial about how good we were going to be. We didn't get off the ground and the floor fell out from under us.

We don't have to fully overhaul everything in one season, we do need to fully overhaul everything. If that means Crosby carries new kids towards the top, instead of a few times not qualifying and some first round exits, then I can live with that.

Yeah it's a course reversal. Better to 180 than hit the iceberg.
Yea, the longer we wait to start the real rebuild the longer the rebuild will be. If we try to do a retool, we will not suck enough to get the 1-2-3 picks, and we will not be good enough to get far in the playoffs.

I rather se we start the rebuild now and get the high picks, so the team have a chance for the cup again during my lifetime. Just look at Detroit, that did not get it right..
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I really want to see Dubas adopt the Ariz....Utah....model. Start selling off players at the trade deadline this season. Start stockpiling 2nd and 3rd round picks over multiple years. Rent some available cap space for more picks. Find a way to add another 1st in there. Utah with all of their original 1sts, 10 2nds, and 7 3rd over the next 3 drafts is going to get them to a really good place.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:41 am I really want to see Dubas adopt the Ariz....Utah....model. Start selling off players at the trade deadline this season. Start stockpiling 2nd and 3rd round picks over multiple years. Rent some available cap space for more picks. Find a way to add another 1st in there. Utah with all of their original 1sts, 10 2nds, and 7 3rd over the next 3 drafts is going to get them to a really good place.
Agreed. I think his goal should be to trade Smith, Eller and Acciari for mid round picks over the next couple of drafts and start the re-tool. I also think he should look to make a trade for a young player that could need a change of scenery. Maybe Kakko in NY or Kotkaniemi in Carolina. Carolina would probably attach a decent pick to Kotkaniemi's contract to get out of it. There are also rumblings that Vegas might have a problem signing Doroveyev. Hoping to see some younger skill brought into the lineup this season.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:03 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:41 am I really want to see Dubas adopt the Ariz....Utah....model. Start selling off players at the trade deadline this season. Start stockpiling 2nd and 3rd round picks over multiple years. Rent some available cap space for more picks. Find a way to add another 1st in there. Utah with all of their original 1sts, 10 2nds, and 7 3rd over the next 3 drafts is going to get them to a really good place.
Agreed. I think his goal should be to trade Smith, Eller and Acciari for mid round picks over the next couple of drafts and start the re-tool. I also think he should look to make a trade for a young player that could need a change of scenery. Maybe Kakko in NY or Kotkaniemi in Carolina. Carolina would probably attach a decent pick to Kotkaniemi's contract to get out of it. There are also rumblings that Vegas might have a problem signing Doroveyev. Hoping to see some younger skill brought into the lineup this season.
Yohe has an article today, talking about clearing cap space. Smith, Rakell, Graves, and Jarry were the 4 that he mentioned.

--Smith - Tried to move him at the deadline but nobody wanted him with the 2nd year. Highly believed that Dubas will move him this summer. According to Yohe, Smith didn't want to leave Vegas and that he "rarely hid that he wasn’t excited to be in Pittsburgh."

--Rakell - Crosby prefers Rust, and Rakell isn't great with Geno. Down year for Rakell, he isn't part of the speed game, and probably isn't going to get better. Dubas would likely listen if someone was interested. (Yohe didn't mention that from what I have heard, Rakell played with a bad shoulder much of the year...but Rakell has always been a very up and down player year over year)

--Jarry - Biggest thing Yohe said is that the team DID NOT want to give Jarry a 5 year deal, but the remaining goalie market was so poor they felt that was the best short-term option. Jarry had the leverage. That said, the team seems to have zero faith in his ability to win big games. Losing the net down the stretch and failing to give Jarry a start in the final meaningless game was very telling. There are teams looking for goaltending. If someone knocks, Penguins will listen.

--Graves - Incredibly long shot, but he does skate well, has size and puck skills. Penguins would probably be willing to retain if they had to, but their best bet is to keep him this year, hope that he rebounds, and that improved play ups his trade value down the road.

Yohe also mentioned that from what Dubas has said, Rust and Karlsson aren't going anywhere any time soon.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Utah is already in a better franchise position than they were in Arizona. Stability achieved through the ownership, location to play, and away from the horrid politicians who would never commit to supporting the team.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sounding like Ottawa is aggressively going to be going after a goalie this offseason. I wonder about them as a spot for Jarry. I'd love to see a Jarry for Pinto trade, but I have a feeling OTT won't move Pinto. OTT is not seen as the front runners for Markstrom or Ullmark.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:28 pm Sounding like Ottawa is aggressively going to be going after a goalie this offseason. I wonder about them as a spot for Jarry. I'd love to see a Jarry for Pinto trade, but I have a feeling OTT won't move Pinto. OTT is not seen as the front runners for Markstrom or Ullmark.
I could see something like this happening, but how do the Penguins replace Jarry's experience and minutes? A combo of Nedeljkovic and Blomqvist/veteran backup?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:48 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:28 pm Sounding like Ottawa is aggressively going to be going after a goalie this offseason. I wonder about them as a spot for Jarry. I'd love to see a Jarry for Pinto trade, but I have a feeling OTT won't move Pinto. OTT is not seen as the front runners for Markstrom or Ullmark.
I could see something like this happening, but how do the Penguins replace Jarry's experience and minutes? A combo of Nedeljkovic and Blomqvist/veteran backup?
I would say take Anton Forsberg off their hands as part of the deal. Forsberg has only this coming season left at 2.75M.

Jarry and either a 2024 2nd or Sam Poulin for Pinto and Forsberg would be the type of deal I would try to make work. I think the Penguins would need a few things to fall into place for this to work but, let's say the Penguins let it be known that they would trade Jarry to Ottawa for a deal around Pinto, and OTT let it be known they would be interested if they can acquire another center on the UFA market.

OTT signs Sean Monahan or Chandler Stevenson, which gives them more flexibility to move Pinto.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

E-Rod not good enough for Guru Sullivan to cultivate as a productive cog of a contending team. but somehow good enough to nab 3 goals in the 1st 2 games of Stanley cup finals.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

E-Rod might have iced Game 2 with a late goal.
FLA about to go up 2-0.

Would have been great to keep him.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Maestro wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:55 pm E-Rod not good enough for Guru Sullivan to cultivate as a productive cog of a contending team. but somehow good enough to nab 3 goals in the 1st 2 games of Stanley cup finals.
Yeah, exactly!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:01 pm
Maestro wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:55 pm E-Rod not good enough for Guru Sullivan to cultivate as a productive cog of a contending team. but somehow good enough to nab 3 goals in the 1st 2 games of Stanley cup finals.
Yeah, exactly!
It's not that ERod wasn't good enough. It was that Sullivan blamed ERod solely for the Game 6 loss because ERod took a bad penalty. :face: Dejan even "confirmed" this in his Friday Insider last week. From that piece:

• Last time the Penguins participated in the playoffs, Evan Rodrigues took a terrible retaliatory penalty that handed the Rangers a power-play goal and a Game 6 survival that fed right into New York's eventual seven-game series victory. That penalty, I was told at the time, so angered Mike Sullivan that it contributed to Rodrigues not being brought back that summer. Now, Rodrigues, who I thought more than made up for that lapse with a massive tying goal in Game 7, gets his crack at the Final with Florida. Good player. Gooder dude.

BTW, was at the game tonight. Got to check Stanley Cup Final game off my bucket list.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:55 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:01 pm
Yeah, exactly!
It's not that ERod wasn't good enough. It was that Sullivan blamed ERod solely for the Game 6 loss because ERod took a bad penalty. :face: Dejan even "confirmed" this in his Friday Insider last week. From that piece:

• Last time the Penguins participated in the playoffs, Evan Rodrigues took a terrible retaliatory penalty that handed the Rangers a power-play goal and a Game 6 survival that fed right into New York's eventual seven-game series victory. That penalty, I was told at the time, so angered Mike Sullivan that it contributed to Rodrigues not being brought back that summer. Now, Rodrigues, who I thought more than made up for that lapse with a massive tying goal in Game 7, gets his crack at the Final with Florida. Good player. Gooder dude.

BTW, was at the game tonight. Got to check Stanley Cup Final game off my bucket list.
coach sully can't handle his personal emotions instead of being a real coach, coach sully can't do his job to manage a Powerplay of talent. coach sully is handed a contract extension. I HATE that ownership has zero loyalty to Pittsburgh! Fire Boston sully!! sully hates Pittsburgh.