Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:54 am Didn't listen to it, but hearing 32 Thoughts podcast has Jake definitely leaning towards going to market. Rumors are that Carolina is trying to shop his rights for a mid-round pick (which, means he isn't going to market?).
:thumb: Was just going to come here to post this:

stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

And here I thought Jake liked Carolina. Money talks I guess. :D
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

stonewizard51 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:35 am And here I thought Jake liked Carolina. Money talks I guess. :D
Watch Chicago throw Jake $12 mill a year just cause they can. I don't blame him. He's not chasing a cup. Make as much money as you can.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:42 am
stonewizard51 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:35 am And here I thought Jake liked Carolina. Money talks I guess. :D
Watch Chicago throw Jake $12 mill a year just cause they can. I don't blame him. He's not chasing a cup. Make as much money as you can.
On the fence on how it should play out, but, in simplest terms...Jake has won a Cup. I'm sure he'd like to win another but, the fact that he could end his career tomorrow and say he at least won the Cup once....go for the money.

I think Sam Reinhart is going to be put to a similar situation this summer. He could also be up in that 9-10M AAV range on a new deal this summer. If Florida wins the Cup, he may be more inclined to take the money versus taking a lesser deal on a contender to go for that Cup win.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:54 am Didn't listen to it, but hearing 32 Thoughts podcast has Jake definitely leaning towards going to market. Rumors are that Carolina is trying to shop his rights for a mid-round pick (which, means he isn't going to market?).
Not really means he's not hitting the market. We've seen in the past (I think the Pens recently did a while back it was a defenseman I believe) where a team trades for the rights, but doesn't get a deal done and loses said player to UFA.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Really hope KD doesn't go crazy in free agency. Thinking we should be patient, let teams spend and go more the trade route. A lot of teams will look to clear cap. No more Graves 6 year contract type of signings.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:55 am
KG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:42 am
On the fence on how it should play out, but, in simplest terms...Jake has won a Cup. I'm sure he'd like to win another but, the fact that he could end his career tomorrow and say he at least won the Cup once....go for the money.

I think Sam Reinhart is going to be put to a similar situation this summer. He could also be up in that 9-10M AAV range on a new deal this summer. If Florida wins the Cup, he may be more inclined to take the money versus taking a lesser deal on a contender to go for that Cup win.
I could see Jake ending up in Tampa for less AAV than we think, especially if they let Stamkos walk and shuffle in/out another player or two. It's a team with a winning tradition, great coach, in a no state income tax.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:29 pm

Really hope KD doesn't go crazy in free agency. Thinking we should be patient, let teams spend and go more the trade route. A lot of teams will look to clear cap. No more Graves 6 year contract type of signings.
DeBrusk is the only guy I may overpay on for in UFA, for a couple of reasons.

1) He's one of the few solid under 30 yo UFAs available.
2) His style of play (net driving, Bunting type) is in limited supply around the league.
3) The Penguins can certainly use another player of his ilk.

If we miss out on someone like DeBrusk, I'd probably pivot to putting DOC with Crosby, and trying to trade for someone like Jack McBain from Utah. McBain is 6'4", 24 years old, LW/C that plays a physical, 200 foot game. His point production is not there yet, but I still think he can be a solid 3rd line producer in this league. Only 1.6M this year then an RFA.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Agreed on DeBrusk. He’s only 27. Could be here as a longterm option.

Might cost $6mill AAV long term though. But the Pens are in good shape cap wise for the most part.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:10 pm Agreed on DeBrusk. He’s only 27. Could be here as a longterm option.

Might cost $6mill AAV long term though. But the Pens are in good shape cap wise for the most part.
I'm thinking a bit over 6, maybe even 6.5 in the UFA market.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Yep, DeBrusk should be target no.1, 6M - 6.5M per year sounds good.. swap Smith someone for DeBrusk and its an upgrade!?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -urgently/

We're on the hunt for picks and prospects. Re-tool on the fly here we come! :)
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

GMKD wrote:“The major focus for us is on right now acquiring as many young players, as many prospects, and as many draft picks as we can to try to infuse the team with really good young talent and then have that stocked up for the future as well and attempt to get us back into contention as quickly as we can.”
I have hope. Not for next season, but for the future and it's a relief to hear.

(Sullivan probably screamed at the tv and slammed the door, as it's hard to find 30 year old draft picks or veteran young players)
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

KG wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:12 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -urgently/

So why was he going all in on 30+ aged players for Sullivan last season? Now we’re going to pivot and it’s going to be harder when we could have been building youth up the last few seasons. Also saw article from Taylor based on her conversation with Dubas today. It’s not very inspiring. Definitely sounds like a rebuild

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... update-tlh

“ I mean, we don't have a ton of positions to fill, and we have a lot of guys internal near the minimum. But I also don't think we're going to be big into the big, long-term, high-money guys. Just with where we're at, we need to try to find players on shorter-term that can come in and and help, but also continue to keep our focus on young players, prospects and draft picks, and trying to get those into the system and expedite things that way."
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Yeah, I mean, Dubas isn't going to offer up the full off-season plan publicly but not many holes to fill sounds a lot more like option 2 or 3 on my lineup poll the other day.

If I were GM, my priorities at the draft and UFA would be:
--Moving Reilly Smith; obtain picks and prospects in return if at all possible.
--See what it might take to move up to Buffalo pick 11; Buffalo reportedly shopping that pick. Doubt we'd have a winning offer but need to see.
--Move any picks we can in this draft for 2025 or 2026. This is a weak draft beyond 20 or so. It is considered more of a defensive player draft. That's not where this team needs to stockpile players.
--Target DeBrusk, Duhaime, Lomberg types in UFA. Find a RH center like Sissons or Boyd.

It sounds to me like Ned will be brought back unless someone throws a big offer to him in UFA.

But, bringing back the band and just filling in with the youth we have won't cut it. They need some outside help.

EDIT: I also missed the comment where he said they don't expect to be in on big term, high dollar guys. I read that as you can toss DeBrusk out the window unless you think he's going to take a shorter term deal. If you want to be an optimist, you can take it as he's not lining up a bunch of big name UFA to go after but still could a big UFA.

Sounding more like Smith could remain, DOC could be in the top 6 mix if no Smith, hope for Yager to make the club, a lot of Puustinen, Pouin, Puljujarvi and Ponomarev....and if we get lucky, we add a Duhaime/Lomberg type. Another exciting year.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:22 pm
KG wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:12 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -urgently/

So why was he going all in on 30+ aged players for Sullivan last season? Now we’re going to pivot and it’s going to be harder when we could have been building youth up the last few seasons. Also saw article from Taylor based on her conversation with Dubas today. It’s not very inspiring. Definitely sounds like a rebuild
To give this mythical "the window is still open" narrative a last try. Probably nudged in that direction by ownership and/or coaching staff and players. I thought it was a pipe dream but let's see what happens. We rolled a natural 1, critically failed and fumbled.

If I'm reading Dubas right, he's in full rebuild mode. And we'll suck for a while if we rebuild the right way. I'm on board for it.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Cap officially up to $88mill for next season. Time to spend up!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

4.5M more to spend,thats a lot,one good player..
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:17 am 4.5M more to spend,thats a lot,one good player..
I doubt it, more likely prices will inflate. We won't have more talent around the NHL to spend it on.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:13 pm Yeah, I mean, Dubas isn't going to offer up the full off-season plan publicly but not many holes to fill sounds a lot more like option 2 or 3 on my lineup poll the other day.

--See what it might take to move up to Buffalo pick 11; Buffalo reportedly shopping that pick. Doubt we'd have a winning offer but need to see.
--Move any picks we can in this draft for 2025 or 2026. This is a weak draft beyond 20 or so. It is considered more of a defensive player draft. That's not where this team needs to stockpile players.
--Target DeBrusk, Duhaime, Lomberg types in UFA. Find a RH center like Sissons or Boyd.

It sounds to me like Ned will be brought back unless someone throws a big offer to him in UFA.

But, bringing back the band and just filling in with the youth we have won't cut it. They need some outside help.

EDIT: I also missed the comment where he said they don't expect to be in on big term, high dollar guys. I read that as you can toss DeBrusk out the window unless you think he's going to take a shorter term deal. If you want to be an optimist, you can take it as he's not lining up a bunch of big name UFA to go after but still could a big UFA.

Sounding more like Smith could remain, DOC could be in the top 6 mix if no Smith, hope for Yager to make the club, a lot of Puustinen, Pouin, Puljujarvi and Ponomarev....and if we get lucky, we add a Duhaime/Lomberg type. Another exciting year.
The DK article talks about wanting to get a lot more picks and you can't do that without moving players out from the roster. Smith seems like a no brainer but who after him? Pettersson seems like the most likely IMO and would give us the biggest haul. Graves is untradable given last season.

Eller was a possibility but if there were no takers with him playing very well then he's got more value to the team than a late round pick. Maybe you move Acciari?

It will be interesting to see what direction Dubas goes
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:13 pm Yeah, I mean, Dubas isn't going to offer up the full off-season plan publicly but not many holes to fill sounds a lot more like option 2 or 3 on my lineup poll the other day.

To me, it sounds more like all the vets without NMCs should be on the table if he really wants to get more picks and young players in the system. That means trading not only Smith but likely Pettersson if he’s serious about this. He’s probably our best trade chip if you’re not going to ask Rust to waive. The player I would look at in FA is Joshua. Like him better than some other names bandied about but it might take a longer term deal to sign him
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ericf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:52 am

To me, it sounds more like all the vets without NMCs should be on the table if he really wants to get more picks and young players in the system. That means trading not only Smith but likely Pettersson if he’s serious about this. He’s probably our best trade chip if you’re not going to ask Rust to waive. The player I would look at in FA is Joshua. Like him better than some other names bandied about but it might take a longer term deal to sign him
I agree that we could get a nice return for MP. Curious to see what the plan is there. He's 28, will be 29 when his contract is up. KD showed he didn't want to give Jake a long term contract when he was 29. Not sure if it makes the most sense to give MP say a 6 X $6mill AAV?

MP and Jarry to NJ for the 10th and Bahl. Do it.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Unless we are in full rebuild trading MP makes zero sense. There is no one that can fill his minutes in the system and if you are going to trade him you will need to spend more to get his replacement. He also seems like the kind of player who will still get better over the next few years and be good into his early 30’s. Unless Sid wants out or is retiring after his contract is up you still need to build a team that can compete. Trading Petterson destroys any one decent for top 4 on the left side.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I agree, trading MP doesnt make sense!?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... y-website/

Capitals are buying Cap Friendly site? Random. I love Cap Friendly. Hopefully it doesn't change.