Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:45 pm
largegarlic wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:28 pm
Pitts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:21 pm Pens favorites to land Teravainen: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... teravainen
Thanks for posting this, but man, they don't give any evidence of this in the article except that betting markets have the Pens among the favorites to sign him. I figured there would at least be an anonymous source or two saying that Carolina definitely wasn't bringing him back and/or the Pens were interested. Does The Hockey News kinda suck, because I remember making a similar comment on an article posted from there saying that the Pens were interested in Marner?

I'm also just not sure signing another expensive-ish, good, not great, winger going into his 30s is the direction the team should take. Even Dubas seems to consistently say that they need to find ways to get younger.
Unfortunately the Hockey News is basically garbage these days. Not what it used to be. Pure speculation all the time. I would take him but certainly not overpaying for him. We need more pure goal scorers, not players who are pass first.
My viewpoint right now is, if you aren't signing a DeBrusk/Bertuzzi type of player for the top 6, then the large majority of anyone else you insert (Necas, Teravainen, Ehlers, etc) is just adding more of what we have on the roster, IMO. Adding a Necas/Teravainen type doesn't make us play less on the perimeter or get pushed off of pucks easy. If we were to add one of those guys, I'd rather see it happen at the expense of someone like Rust or Rakell being replaced by them, which seems doubtful.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DeHaven162 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:32 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:56 am A few nice tidbits in the latest Rossi Column: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/553960 ... van-jarry/

Sully going nowhere anytime soon

Crosby contract expects to be a shorter term deal, possibly for more base salary as Crosby doesn't know when he wants to retire. So, shorter term contracts make sense.

Pens expect Malkin to retire after this current contract:
As previously reported, Crosby may command a higher cap hit than the $8.7 million from each of his past 16 seasons. But his new contract will not go into effect until 2025-26, and the Penguins project to have considerably more cap space to work with for that season and beyond — in part because the cap is expected to exceed $90 million by then, and also due to Malkin’s anticipated retirement after his current contract expires.
Several other teams believe Dubas is trying to trade Smith.

Jarry not necessarily on the block, but could be traded if the right deal comes along:
Goaltender Tristan Jarry is not necessarily being shopped by Dubas, but there is a sense among other teams that Jarry is available. While that doesn’t mean Dubas or Sullivan has abandoned the idea that Jarry can become a No. 1 goalie, Jarry’s inability to wrestle the crease from Alex Nedeljkovic late this past season did not win him many points with top brass, two team sources said.

The Penguins will keep Jarry if they cannot find a deal that either directly or, by clearing cap space, indirectly addresses a need: a top-six forward (ideally a winger for Crosby) or a top-four defenseman.
Letang had finger surgery which the team believes was affecting his sloppy play late on the season due to inability to grip his stick properly. (LOL)

Josh Getzoff and Phil Bourque expected to be the full-time TV team next season with the lauch of the SportNet app. Radio team not known as Steve Mears wants to be in TV and may be looking for better opportunity elsewhere.
Nooooo, we need Colby on TV regularly!
Colby's going NATIONWIDE ... :)

He does seem to be liked on the national level, so I expect him to have some nice opportunities.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pitts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:21 pm Pens favorites to land Teravainen: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... teravainen
Thanks for posting this, but man, they don't give any evidence of this in the article except that betting markets have the Pens among the favorites to sign him. I figured there would at least be an anonymous source or two saying that Carolina definitely wasn't bringing him back and/or the Pens were interested. Does The Hockey News kinda suck, because I remember making a similar comment on an article posted from there saying that the Pens were interested in Marner?

I'm also just not sure signing another expensive-ish, good, not great, winger going into his 30s is the direction the team should take. Even Dubas seems to consistently say that they need to find ways to get younger.
I claim NO VALIDITY to anything I pass on. Just posting so all here are aware. I kind of doubt the Pens have that much interest in him, but time will tell.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

And for the record, Necas is much better than Teravainen and a lot younger. I would choose Necas in a heartbeat.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

More on Braden Yager: https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/brayd ... rable-year

This kid is a keeper. They better not even think of trading him.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Pitts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:00 pm And for the record, Necas is much better than Teravainen and a lot younger. I would choose Necas in a heartbeat.
Yep, I agree..
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Pitts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:59 pm

I claim NO VALIDITY to anything I pass on. Just posting so all here are aware. I kind of doubt the Pens have that much interest in him, but time will tell.
I'm not faulting you at all. I'm sincere when I say I appreciate you posting it just to give us something to talk about (just like I still appreciate people posting Eklund stuff). I was just under the impression that The Hockey News was more substantive and well-sourced than click-bait social media randos, but maybe they're not anymore.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:29 pm
Pitts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:00 pm And for the record, Necas is much better than Teravainen and a lot younger. I would choose Necas in a heartbeat.
Yep, I agree..
For sure Necas is the superior player but he's a RFA. Carolina is going to want a significant package to trade him. Whereas Teravainen will only cost money as a UFA.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:17 pm
Yep, I agree..
For sure Necas is the superior player but he's a RFA. Carolina is going to want a significant package to trade him. Whereas Teravainen will only cost money as a UFA.
More of the same.....And you have Sully at the helm still. :face: Its hard to get any positive waves about this team with these potential moves. Biggest problem remains HCMS running the show!
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:03 pm
Yep, I agree..
More of the same.....And you have Sully at the helm still. :face: Its hard to get any positive waves about this team with these potential moves. Biggest problem remains HCMS running the show!
I struggle with embracing the Sullivan is the biggest problem slant.
Sure, there's been some things that he's dropped the ball on, but I would say roster construction has been the main reason. How much different would the results have been with Todd McLellan behind the bench, even Brind'Amour, Bruce Cassidy, or perhaps someone like Jon Hynes?
Maybe a different bench boss improves the point totals a bit, but I just don't see a massive spike unless the players at the bottom of the lineup change/improve and, most importantly, the PP cracks the top 10-12, which shouldn't be all that difficult to accomplish.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

dark_forces wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:58 pm
Yep, I agree..
Sure, there's been some things that he's dropped the ball on, but I would say roster construction has been the main reason. How much different would the results have been with Todd McLellan behind the bench, even Brind'Amour, Bruce Cassidy, or perhaps someone like Jon Hynes?
Maybe a different bench boss improves the point totals a bit, but I just don't see a massive spike unless the players at the bottom of the lineup change/improve and, most importantly, the PP cracks the top 10-12, which shouldn't be all that difficult to accomplish.
Why has the team had to make changes? Because the team failed to get out of the first round and then didn't make the playoffs. They disappointed the owners when they should have performed better. Year after year. The one constant was Sully. Each year people were let go and each year the linup got degraded.
Pittsburgh Penguins Playoff Results
Year Record Result
2024 38-32-12 Missed Playoffs
2023 40-31-11 Missed Playoffs
2022 46-25-11 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2021 37-16-3 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2020 40-23-6 Lost Qualifying Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2019 44-26-12 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2018 47-29-6 Lost Conference Semi-Finals (Won 1 Round)
2017 50-21-11 Won Stanley Cup Final
2016 48-26-8 Won Stanley Cup Final

Look at all of those OT losses with this lineup! Our top three should be performing way way better than this! Could that have something to do with the coaching? Its incredible the leash that Sully has had! :face: :face: :face: :face:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnott ... of-scenery

"During his end-of-season remarks, Pittsburgh GM Kyle Dubas seemed to suggest Joel Blomqvist would be inserted as one of the team’s goaltenders next season. I’m told those comments were taken out of context and the Penguins have not closed the door on netminder Alex Nedeljkovic, who can become a UFA July 1. The team continues to have an open dialogue with his agent Rich Evans about a possible return."
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:58 pm
Yep, I agree..
I think the a big part of the problem is, the narrative is out there that has Sullivan has a hand in roster decisions. If you want to see it in action, go back to In The Room, Season 10, Episode 1, about 3 minutes in, when FGMJR, Ventura, and Sullivan are talking about signing ERod, Simon, or Jankowski. In the end, FGMJR deferred to him saying "you're the guy sending them over the boards." I don't think Sullivan, in most cases, is out there demanding to his GM "Go get me player X," but he's consulted. So, I don't think GMJR, GMRH, or POHO Dubas are bringing in to a room at the end of the day of free agency saying here's what we did, does any of this work for you?

It's a combination of Sullivan and the GMs making these decisions, but, if this is still the same system that won us 2 Cups many moons ago, then, these no longer exist in the lineup anymore:

1) They aren't a speed team anymore. That was essential to their Cup wins. The league has caught up and passed this team, speed wise.
2) They've completely abandoned the mix of physicality, grinding, agitating play. There's no Kunitz flying up the ice hitting and winning board battles. There's no Hornqvist planting himself in front of the net, or yelling with intensity from the bench. There's no Orpik tough to play against defenseman on the backend.
3) They're older. The core cannot shoulder the load. They are still great players. But, it's easier to shut them down in the post season, and the Penguins have built this team poorly that, they don't have other guys to lean on when the core is shutdown by a good checking team.
4) Poor goaltending.
5) There's no line identity. I still don't know what the purpose of our 3rd and 4th lines are, because for 2 years it's just been a hodge-podge matchup of bottom 6 pluggers thrown together with no true role or purpose. They need to get back to an energy 4th line or one that can play lockdown defense like Tanev-Blueger -ZAR did. They need to get 3rd liners that can put up appropriate points. Hard to believe that last year's bottom 6 could not outproduce the year before that saw guys like Carter, McGinn, and Kapanen going 20 games without goals.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Yes, as usual, all great points. We have no toughness and the book is upset Tanger and Malkin and they will take dumb penalties the rest of the night. But 10+ losses in OT is unacceptable. That’s 5-6 points given away right there. With Crosby, Guentzel and whoever on D we should be winning most nights in OT. It was Sully marching Old Man Carter out to take the face off in OT :face:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

We talked about this for the gazillion times already!? We changed eveything else already and still no success, just coach is still the same!? How is that normal?? We had new GMs, team has changed big time in last years and still no improvement.. but Sully still here!? Mind boggling..
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:40 am We talked about this for the gazillion times already!? We changed eveything else already and still no success, just coach is still the same!? How is that normal?? We had new GMs, team has changed big time in last years and still no improvement.. but Sully still here!? Mind boggling..
100% :fist:
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:40 am We talked about this for the gazillion times already!? We changed eveything else already and still no success, just coach is still the same!? How is that normal?? We had new GMs, team has changed big time in last years and still no improvement.. but Sully still here!? Mind boggling..
Exactly, if you really sit back and think of all that has changed regarding the roster and management, it seems absolutely ludicrous that Sully is still here.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Toke wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:49 am
Exactly, if you really sit back and think of all that has changed regarding the roster and management, it seems absolutely ludicrous that Sully is still here.
Not to defend Sully, but the GM is in the end responsible for signing the players. Our GMs clearly are not finding or enticing the right type of players to come in. Hextall was a HORRIBLE GM and did more damage than anyone ever in the Pen's GM role. Dubas at least made it his first priority to clear out as much of that damage as he could last year. Let's see what more he can do this year.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

NHL rumblings: Devils goalie search, Zegras, Marner, Necas, Gibson, Saros and more from the combine: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/554139 ... ner-saros/
NJ goalie search:
While Fitzgerald wouldn’t get into names, other league sources said he continues to show interest in Jacob Markstrom from the Calgary Flames, whom he tried hard to acquire before the March 8 trade deadline, as well as Linus Ullmark from the Boston Bruins. There are other possibilities, too, but those two names would top New Jersey’s list.
#10 pick in play:
“At the end of the day, it’s a big part of what we want to do elsewhere,” Fitzgerald said. “All of a sudden, (the No. 10 draft pick, owned by the Devils) comes into play, and we’re moving it for Player X, who is a forward, and that guy costs X, and there’s a domino effect on the goaltender.”

So, yes, the Devils are indeed willing to listen on No. 10.

“Yeah, for sure,” Fitzgerald said. “I’m more than willing to move the pick for the right asset. One that we control, one that’s probably in the same demographic as our team — maybe not 23, 24 years old but somebody we control for a few years.
Ducks listening on Gibson, Zegras:
Speaking of the trade market, I did ask the Ducks GM about John Gibson’s future. Gibson, who turns 31 next month, has three years left on his contract at a $6.4 million average annual value.

“John’s still a really good goalie,” Verbeek said. “Obviously there’s a market for goalies out there.”
And finally, Trevor Zegras trade chatter has resurfaced. Verbeek would not comment on that, but other league sources suggest the Ducks are listening on him and would consider moving him in the right deal. They’re obviously deeper up front, which is why they could afford to move him.
Montreal:
Hughes obviously can’t comment on players from other teams as per the NHL’s tampering rules, but other league sources suggest Montreal has inquired with the Carolina Hurricanes on Martin Necas, as have half the teams in the NHL. I also believe Anaheim and Montreal have re-connected on Zegras, however, I’m not convinced that’s a path the Habs will ultimately pursue aggressively.
The Canadiens hold the No. 5 pick:
“I suspect it’s more an in-the-moment (decision) this year,” Hughes said. “Because I think the draft is less predictable. Whereas I think last year we got a lot of inquiries (ahead of time) at No. 5 because everybody kind of felt they knew what the first four picks were going to be — maybe not the order but who the first four were going to be was assumed. I don’t think that’s the case this year.”

Hughes wouldn’t spell it out, but an obvious scenario in which Montreal would consider trading down is if there’s a run of forwards ahead of them, given how deep the organization is on defense.

As it stands at the moment, though, Hughes said it’s more likely than not they keep the pick and draft at No. 5.
On Toronto and Marner (with a note that they hope to re-sign both Bertuzzi and Domi):
“Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing (with the no-trade). If there’s a way to make our team better, we’re going to do it. But we’re certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, ‘Look, we’re different.'”

Reading between the lines, all options on Marner remain on the table:

1. He stays in Toronto and plays out his contract next season.

2. The Leafs look to extend him eventually.

3. Toronto gets a trade offer it feels makes too much sense and brings it to Marner’s camp (and no team would trade for Marner without an extension in place).

“We’re not scared to be bold and do things,” Treliving said. “But there’s got to be things to do out there.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:19 am
Not to defend Sully, but the GM is in the end responsible for signing the players. Our GMs clearly are not finding or enticing the right type of players to come in. Hextall was a HORRIBLE GM and did more damage than anyone ever in the Pen's GM role. Dubas at least made it his first priority to clear out as much of that damage as he could last year. Let's see what more he can do this year.
The GMs are responsible and the GM/coach need to be on the same page BUT how many GMs and how many players and how many scouts and how many owners has this team gone through? Only 4 remain. Sullivan, Sid, Geno, Kris.

How many coaches have been fired who have had more success than Sullivan since he won the cups? How many coaches win cups and get fired? While I can respect allowing a coach to go through a rebuild, a coach usually doesn’t survive the downfall of an era in modern sports. Honestly, I think it’s pure stubbornness that keeps Sullivan employed.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Daniel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:59 pm
Pitts wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:19 am
The GMs are responsible and the GM/coach need to be on the same page BUT how many GMs and how many players and how many scouts and how many owners has this team gone through? Only 4 remain. Sullivan, Sid, Geno, Kris.

How many coaches have been fired who have had more success than Sullivan since he won the cups? How many coaches win cups and get fired? While I can respect allowing a coach to go through a rebuild, a coach usually doesn’t survive the downfall of an era in modern sports. Honestly, I think it’s pure stubbornness that keeps Sullivan employed.
Keep in mind, that if you fire Sullivan, Dubas would be looking to hire Sullivan.

Fire Sully won't cut it. Fire Sully and don't rehire him. :pop:
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

When Dubas said “if you fire Sullivan, you’ll be looking to hire another Sullivan”. Does that mean you hire a coach that hasn’t won a playoff round in six years? That statement makes no sense.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Wyopen wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:54 pm When Dubas said “if you fire Sullivan, you’ll be looking to hire another Sullivan”. Does that mean you hire a coach that hasn’t won a playoff round in six years? That statement makes no sense.
Steve Sullivan?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Didn't listen to it, but hearing 32 Thoughts podcast has Jake definitely leaning towards going to market. Rumors are that Carolina is trying to shop his rights for a mid-round pick (which, means he isn't going to market?).