Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Daniel »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:37 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:13 pm
According to McKeen's. Koivunen #2, Ponomarev #5. Lucius #8 prospects in the Pens system. 23rd overall ranking. Not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago!
Says a lot about our farm that one trade which netted three prospects boosted us from 30th something to 23rd. We'll need more.
I think it says more about the teams ranked 24-30 than the Penguins. How bad are those that it only took 3 decent prospects to catapult them. :D
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:38 pm
According to McKeen's. Koivunen #2, Ponomarev #5. Lucius #8 prospects in the Pens system. 23rd overall ranking. Not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago!
Says a lot about our farm that one trade which netted three prospects boosted us from 30th something to 23rd. We'll need more.
I think it says more about the teams ranked 24-30 than the Penguins. How bad are those that it only took 3 decent prospects to catapult them. :D
By us gaining seven points, did Carolina lose seven points in their ranking? 🤔
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:17 pm
Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:38 pm
By us gaining seven points, did Carolina lose seven points in their ranking? 🤔
That's totally how that will work :lol:
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Some depth guys added to WBS.

Gabe Klassen, Atley Calvert and Jack Beck. 20, 21 year old guys that played well in juniors. Fifth, sixth round and undrafted, between 5'10 and 6'0. Don't expect much but can't hurt to take some fliers. All AHL only contracts
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:13 pm According to McKeen's. Koivunen #2, Ponomarev #5. Lucius #8 prospects in the Pens system. 23rd overall ranking. Not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago!
Also says a lot about that trade. That was a damn fine haul Dubas got for a UFA!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Good to see a Pens prospect trending the right direction!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

JARRY??? JARRY???? JARRY???

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Wonder when the WBS coaching staff will be finalized? Hopefully there’s a target and a plan and it’s just a timing issue where they want someone on a team still currently playing and can’t interview yet? But I don’t know who that could be at this point.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:57 am

Ullmark for the 10th overall makes sense for both teams.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:16 am

Ullmark is a good shout, but I do wonder if that would be a little tricky for the Devils. I just looked it up, and he has 1 year left on his deal at $5 million, and he turns 31 in July. He's probably looking for one last big deal. Do the Devils want to be the ones to give him that deal? Maybe, but it seems like a scenario where they would want to talk to him before a trade to get a sense of what he's looking for on his next contract. Otherwise, it's a lot to give up for a guy who could walk next summer.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:13 am

If Yager looks good in camp, I can't see the harm in giving him the 9 game tryout. If he's putting up those numbers in juniors, he doesn't have anything to prove there. I haven't seen him play a whole game (just clips), but my guess is that the big obstacle to him sticking in the NHL will be his size and strength. He's listed at 6'0" 170 lbs on Elite Prospects. If that's right, that just seems pretty scrawny, and he should be looking to add at least 10 lbs to hold up physically. It seems like a stretch to add that over the summer, but maybe.

But it sure seems like we're due for another homegrown top 6 forward to come through. I know they've traded a ton of high draft picks, but I don't think we've had any top 6 guys break in from within the organization since Rust and Guentzel in 2016 and 2017. I know O'Conner played some in the top 6 last season, but I don't count him as a true top 6 guy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

A few nice tidbits in the latest Rossi Column: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/553960 ... van-jarry/

Sully going nowhere anytime soon

Crosby contract expects to be a shorter term deal, possibly for more base salary as Crosby doesn't know when he wants to retire. So, shorter term contracts make sense.

Pens expect Malkin to retire after this current contract:
As previously reported, Crosby may command a higher cap hit than the $8.7 million from each of his past 16 seasons. But his new contract will not go into effect until 2025-26, and the Penguins project to have considerably more cap space to work with for that season and beyond — in part because the cap is expected to exceed $90 million by then, and also due to Malkin’s anticipated retirement after his current contract expires.
Several other teams believe Dubas is trying to trade Smith.

Jarry not necessarily on the block, but could be traded if the right deal comes along:
Goaltender Tristan Jarry is not necessarily being shopped by Dubas, but there is a sense among other teams that Jarry is available. While that doesn’t mean Dubas or Sullivan has abandoned the idea that Jarry can become a No. 1 goalie, Jarry’s inability to wrestle the crease from Alex Nedeljkovic late this past season did not win him many points with top brass, two team sources said.

The Penguins will keep Jarry if they cannot find a deal that either directly or, by clearing cap space, indirectly addresses a need: a top-six forward (ideally a winger for Crosby) or a top-four defenseman.
Letang had finger surgery which the team believes was affecting his sloppy play late on the season due to inability to grip his stick properly. (LOL)

Josh Getzoff and Phil Bourque expected to be the full-time TV team next season with the lauch of the SportNet app. Radio team not known as Steve Mears wants to be in TV and may be looking for better opportunity elsewhere.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:43 am

If Yager looks good in camp, I can't see the harm in giving him the 9 game tryout. If he's putting up those numbers in juniors, he doesn't have anything to prove there. I haven't seen him play a whole game (just clips), but my guess is that the big obstacle to him sticking in the NHL will be his size and strength. He's listed at 6'0" 170 lbs on Elite Prospects. If that's right, that just seems pretty scrawny, and he should be looking to add at least 10 lbs to hold up physically. It seems like a stretch to add that over the summer, but maybe.

But it sure seems like we're due for another homegrown top 6 forward to come through. I know they've traded a ton of high draft picks, but I don't think we've had any top 6 guys break in from within the organization since Rust and Guentzel in 2016 and 2017. I know O'Conner played some in the top 6 last season, but I don't count him as a true top 6 guy.
It would be nice to see him making the team for at least the 9 games. The other big decision is, what is his future position in the NHL. If they think it is wing, that should make it easier to bring him in and start learning. If they think it is Center, then, I still think they can team him up with the right resource to learn the ins and outs of playing center in the NHL, which is much more physically demanding.

Ryan Wilson had a piece today and, I knew he wasn't eligible for the AHL, but I didn't know how close. He would have needed to turn 20 before December 31st, 2024. Yager's birthday is January 3rd. The team could file an appeal to get him eligible, but that would most likely not succeed. Buffalo prospect and Yager's linemate Matthew Savoie turns 20 on January 1st (one day after the cutoff), and Buffalo was denied an exception for him. It's very rare those get approved, which is dumb.

Let's see how the draft and free agency go, and then I think we'll have a better idea of how the roster looks and if Yager can make it. I think Smith is as good as gone. I wouldn't mind Acciari out if they aren't going to play him at RW and/or consider scratching him at times if there is a better option. I do think, whether in a Smith trade or another deal, Dubas likely ships out a prospect to somehow get younger. Maybe a Poulin or one of the guys he got for Guentzel, since he apparently tried multiple deals last season that he couldn't pull off without said prospect.

Other than that, no real clue how the roster shakes out. There's things I think this team needs and would like to see, but, somehow, I'm not sure how that fits into Dubas and Sullivan's plan.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:46 am Unless Malkin is moving to wing full time, and I have seen nothing suggesting that’s even being seriously considered, we don’t need a guy like Chytil who would be wasted on the 3rd line.

We are pretty much set at center for next season unless Eller is traded. Sid-Geno-Eller are locks to keep their spots and we have Poulin and Ponomarev hopefully competing for the 4th line spot.
I don't think Poulin could play center in the NHL. He's likely to end up as a winger. Ponomarev likely won't make it, because of waiver rules.

I'd say it's pretty much a certain we will acquire anothe rcenter if we are to improve.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

bse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:40 pm
DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:46 am Unless Malkin is moving to wing full time, and I have seen nothing suggesting that’s even being seriously considered, we don’t need a guy like Chytil who would be wasted on the 3rd line.

We are pretty much set at center for next season unless Eller is traded. Sid-Geno-Eller are locks to keep their spots and we have Poulin and Ponomarev hopefully competing for the 4th line spot.
I don't think Poulin could play center in the NHL. He's likely to end up as a winger. Ponomarev likely won't make it, because of waiver rules.

I'd say it's pretty much a certain we will acquire anothe rcenter if we are to improve.
I think I agree with this. His footspeed has improved, but his skating can still be an issue. I think at best, Poulin may be a LW that can play C for a few games here and there if needed, but doubtful he becomes a full-time center.

I'm still wondering how much of a future he has here. If someone else valued him in a trade over someone like Koivunen or Ponomarev, I don't think the Penguins would hesitate to deal him. He's in the situation now where it's make the team or risk being a waiver loss.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:56 am A few nice tidbits in the latest Rossi Column: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/553960 ... van-jarry/

Crosby contract expects to be a shorter term deal, possibly for more base salary as Crosby doesn't know when he wants to retire. So, shorter term contracts make sense.

As previously reported, Crosby may command a higher cap hit than the $8.7 million from each of his past 16 seasons. But his new contract will not go into effect until 2025-26, and the Penguins project to have considerably more cap space to work with for that season and beyond — in part because the cap is expected to exceed $90 million by then, and also due to Malkin’s anticipated retirement after his current contract expires.

Jarry not necessarily on the block, but could be traded if the right deal comes along:
Goaltender Tristan Jarry is not necessarily being shopped by Dubas, but there is a sense among other teams that Jarry is available. While that doesn’t mean Dubas or Sullivan has abandoned the idea that Jarry can become a No. 1 goalie, Jarry’s inability to wrestle the crease from Alex Nedeljkovic late this past season did not win him many points with top brass, two team sources said.

The Penguins will keep Jarry if they cannot find a deal that either directly or, by clearing cap space, indirectly addresses a need: a top-six forward (ideally a winger for Crosby) or a top-four defenseman.
Letang had finger surgery which the team believes was affecting his sloppy play late on the season due to inability to grip his stick properly. (LOL)

Josh Getzoff and Phil Bourque expected to be the full-time TV team next season with the lauch of the SportNet app. Radio team not known as Steve Mears wants to be in TV and may be looking for better opportunity elsewhere.
Thanks for sharing. Hoping KD can make some meaningful changes to this team and change it up. Would be great if we can move on from Jarry as well.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:33 am
KG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:16 am

Ullmark is a good shout, but I do wonder if that would be a little tricky for the Devils. I just looked it up, and he has 1 year left on his deal at $5 million, and he turns 31 in July. He's probably looking for one last big deal. Do the Devils want to be the ones to give him that deal? Maybe, but it seems like a scenario where they would want to talk to him before a trade to get a sense of what he's looking for on his next contract. Otherwise, it's a lot to give up for a guy who could walk next summer.
Weren't they in on Markstrom last year as well? I agree Ullmark will be looked at. My sleeper, John Gibson.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

His teammate, Atley Calvert, just signed on in WBS. He's a RH center who had a pretty productive junior career. Guess time will tell if he turns out to be a decent pro or not.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:43 pm

His teammate, Atley Calvert, just signed on in WBS. He's a RH center who had a pretty productive junior career. Guess time will tell if he turns out to be a decent pro or not.
Happy to see WBS get younger. We have too many veteran-rule #14F and #9D in the minors. It's nice to have some young blood there, even if they're purely for the AHL for now (and maybe forever). We have what... 10-12 guys there that are 22 or younger? And that's including the Guentzel trade trio.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Jarry for a 3rd.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:29 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:13 pm According to McKeen's. Koivunen #2, Ponomarev #5. Lucius #8 prospects in the Pens system. 23rd overall ranking. Not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago!
Not sure what it says about McKeen's when they still have Filip Hallander on their list.
Exactly :lol:

I'm glad tho that WBS signed three young forwards..
https://www.wbspenguins.com/penguins-si ... -and-beck/
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Pitts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:21 pm Pens favorites to land Teravainen: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... teravainen
Thanks for posting this, but man, they don't give any evidence of this in the article except that betting markets have the Pens among the favorites to sign him. I figured there would at least be an anonymous source or two saying that Carolina definitely wasn't bringing him back and/or the Pens were interested. Does The Hockey News kinda suck, because I remember making a similar comment on an article posted from there saying that the Pens were interested in Marner?

I'm also just not sure signing another expensive-ish, good, not great, winger going into his 30s is the direction the team should take. Even Dubas seems to consistently say that they need to find ways to get younger.
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:56 am A few nice tidbits in the latest Rossi Column: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/553960 ... van-jarry/

Nooooo, we need Colby on TV regularly!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

largegarlic wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:28 pm
Pitts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:21 pm Pens favorites to land Teravainen: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... teravainen
Thanks for posting this, but man, they don't give any evidence of this in the article except that betting markets have the Pens among the favorites to sign him. I figured there would at least be an anonymous source or two saying that Carolina definitely wasn't bringing him back and/or the Pens were interested. Does The Hockey News kinda suck, because I remember making a similar comment on an article posted from there saying that the Pens were interested in Marner?

I'm also just not sure signing another expensive-ish, good, not great, winger going into his 30s is the direction the team should take. Even Dubas seems to consistently say that they need to find ways to get younger.
Unfortunately the Hockey News is basically garbage these days. Not what it used to be. Pure speculation all the time. I would take him but certainly not overpaying for him. We need more pure goal scorers, not players who are pass first.