Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Wyopen »

Absolutely a big NO to Chytil. He has one, only one 20 goal season in seven years. How does that help us, especially giving, and I mean giving away Yager our best prospect. Even the NYR message boards don’t think he’s cutting it and would like to trade him. There were enough mistakes last year, let’s not make another. Build our prospect pool!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Unless Malkin is moving to wing full time, and I have seen nothing suggesting that’s even being seriously considered, we don’t need a guy like Chytil who would be wasted on the 3rd line.

We are pretty much set at center for next season unless Eller is traded. Sid-Geno-Eller are locks to keep their spots and we have Poulin and Ponomarev hopefully competing for the 4th line spot.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:46 am Unless Malkin is moving to wing full time, and I have seen nothing suggesting that’s even being seriously considered, we don’t need a guy like Chytil who would be wasted on the 3rd line.

We are pretty much set at center for next season unless Eller is traded. Sid-Geno-Eller are locks to keep their spots and we have Poulin and Ponomarev hopefully competing for the 4th line spot.
I'll be disappointed if that is what happens, so, there's a high likelihood that is how things will shake out. If this team is serious about just trying to even be a fringe playoff team, they need to build a better bottom 6. Sullivan needs to go back to a more effective line system. He needs a 3rd line that can score but is defensively responsible as well, and he needs a 4th line that is either a shutdown d-line, an energy line, or a combination of the two. Heck, build out 2 different types of 3rd lines, and roll them out in the games based on how they are playing.

You've seen me clamoring for guys like Poulin, Puustinen, Puljujarvi to get more playing time, but on the flip side, I don't know how well each of them slot in with what we have, what we need to add, and how our forward groups should be constructed. I think Ponomarev is going to end up having to be a waiver exempt casualty and early injury callup. I think a guy like Poulin or Puustinen could find themselves out of the lineup if there is a deal to be made out there somewhere for another younger, more established NHL player that fits our system better.

But who knows at this point. I need to see some level of Dubas magic this summer, not just keep the picks and prospects we have, sign some marginal UFAs and hope that it works. Doesn't need a Karlsson level trade, but, I think at least one trade of significance (moving Smith out at a minimum) needs to be on deck this summer.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I hope the rumors were/are true that Dubas was trying to move on from Eller. Not that he was bad at all, but this team needs more offense from their 3rd line and they need to get younger.

Move out Smith, Eller, Acciari for cap space and re-tool with some smart hockey trades.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:10 pm I hope the rumors were/are true that Dubas was trying to move on from Eller. Not that he was bad at all, but this team needs more offense from their 3rd line and they need to get younger.

Move out Smith, Eller, Acciari for cap space and re-tool with some smart hockey trades.
I’d be fine though if Eller and Acciari are the only players over 26 in the bottom 6. Can’t just go all younger for a lot of reasons. And those two guys weren’t weak links at all.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:39 pm
KG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:10 pm I hope the rumors were/are true that Dubas was trying to move on from Eller. Not that he was bad at all, but this team needs more offense from their 3rd line and they need to get younger.

I’d be fine though if Eller and Acciari are the only players over 26 in the bottom 6. Can’t just go all younger for a lot of reasons. And those two guys weren’t weak links at all.
I would be fine with keeping those. There are bigger problems on the roster that need to disappear first. But if someone pays a nice pick for either, ship em out..

Puustinen should return to the NHL next season, any other forward currently assigned to WBS, I'd leave there indefinitely unless 23 or younger. 24 or younger for our D.

Getting younger is fine. But let's do it by scratching and waiving the likes of Nieto, Zohorna, Hinostroza and Harkins. They dont move any needles and don't tell us anything we didn't know already.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:55 pm
DelPen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:39 pm

I would be fine with keeping those. There are bigger problems on the roster that need to disappear first. But if someone pays a nice pick for either, ship em out..

Puustinen should return to the NHL next season, any other forward currently assigned to WBS, I'd leave there indefinitely unless 23 or younger. 24 or younger for our D.

Getting younger is fine. But let's do it by scratching and waiving the likes of Nieto, Zohorna, Hinostroza and Harkins. They dont move any needles and don't tell us anything we didn't know already.
I'm fine keeping Eller and Acciari with a conditions. On Eller, I think this team becomes much stronger if we bring in another center as 3C, and have Eller as 4C. But I'd also be fine if they shipped Eller out and let a Gruden or Poulin play 4C. Acciari, I'm fine with keeping him if he doesn't become the new Jeff Carter who MUST be in the lineup every game. The 2nd, and probably more important condition...he needs to be playing RW 80% of his TOI. He can still take draws, but he is a more effective player on the wing.

There's no need for Harkins to come back. Nieto isn't going to be a factor in the lineup until probably January, and honestly, I'm hoping that someone has seized a spot in the lineup by then to keep Nieto out of it. I'm fine with bringing back Hinostroza and Zohorna as AHL waiver depth, although I think they are through with Zohorna. Maybe they re-sign Bemstrom but again, as an AHL level callup. He didn't do enough for me to beat out some of the other guys.

The issue with Poulin, Puustinen, and Puljujarvi is none of them have waiver exemption, and there is a chance all of them could be claimed if put through waivers. So, this is where I have said they either need to make the team, or we need to move them in a trade for a player we feel is a definite upgrade and not over 30.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I know Ponomarov has waiver eligibility still but I would be surprised if he doesn’t make the Pens out of camp, probably as 4C.

He made it on the Hurricanes last season. Shouldn’t be too hard to get into the bottom six with the options we have. Dubas is high on him and I’m sure he wants to see more youth in the lineup. Maybe Pono is the next Blueger with more offense (the good version of Teddy)

Same goes for Poulin. I think both of them should be LW and C on the 4th line. Go with Puustinen or Puljujarvi on RW and go with a kid 4th line.

I think Dubas came in last season, tried to give the team a boost with more veterans. That clearly didn’t work so he should turn to more youth on the 4th line.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:49 pm I know Ponomarov has waiver eligibility still but I would be surprised if he doesn’t make the Pens out of camp, probably as 4C.

He made it on the Hurricanes last season. Shouldn’t be too hard to get into the bottom six with the options we have. Dubas is high on him and I’m sure he wants to see more youth in the lineup. Maybe Pono is the next Blueger with more offense (the good version of Teddy)

Same goes for Poulin. I think both of them should be LW and C on the 4th line. Go with Puustinen or Puljujarvi on RW and go with a kid 4th line.

I think Dubas came in last season, tried to give the team a boost with more veterans. That clearly didn’t work so he should turn to more youth on the 4th line.
I'd be willing to see what a Poulin-Ponomarev-Puljujarvi lineup could do as a 4th line, but, then I'm not sure what you do with the 3rd line. Someone out of Ponomarev, Poulin, Puljujarvi, Puustinen and DOC is REALLY going to have to step up, maybe even two of them. Otherwise, we're filling the team with youth just to say we did it, while they not be the right youth pieces for this team. Youth is needed, but so is becoming tougher to play against. We still need to be able to add a Duhaime, Lomberg disruptor type somewhere in this lineup, and usually those guys are your 4th line types.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:38 pm Youth is needed, but so is becoming tougher to play against. We still need to be able to add a Duhaime, Lomberg disruptor type somewhere in this lineup, and usually those guys are your 4th line types.
Penguins fans need to stop looking at a six-foot+ player as a tough player. I am guilty. Players grow tall, and immediately they get pigeon holded as tough, strong, aggressive, full of testosterone, raiging fury. What this team needs are a third line player of grit (Matt Cooke - dialed down to level 8), and a FAFO player on the fourth line.

My design doesn't put butt$$$ in seat$$$. Grit and toughness might.

My thoughts, not aimed at FLPF.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Man what would I give right now to have 3rd line of Cooke - Staal - Tanev haha.. but we will have DOC - Eller - Puustinen, not bad, but not that good and I really like how these guys played last year.

Btw. What a tough loss for Dallas, outplayed outshot Oilers 35 - 10 and lost game 6,they deserved game 7.. 10 shots allowed is crazy low, like we would watch Canada - Austria match up at WC lol
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Anyone else getting sick of McDavid constantly spitting as the camera focuses on him? Talk about nervous habits.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I'm just so glad the Rangers got booted. Game broadcasts were like some home game celebrations. The team of destiny crap was over the top, especially with Messier on the studio staff. Thank you Panthers!!!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:07 am I'm just so glad the Rangers got booted. Game broadcasts were like some home game celebrations. The team of destiny crap was over the top, especially with Messier on the studio staff. Thank you Panthers!!!
100%! Team of destiny. What a bunch of nonsense that was.

Panthers in 6
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:21 am
Pitts wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:07 am I'm just so glad the Rangers got booted. Game broadcasts were like some home game celebrations. The team of destiny crap was over the top, especially with Messier on the studio staff. Thank you Panthers!!!
100%! Team of destiny. What a bunch of nonsense that was.

Panthers in 6
Yeah, a bit of a homerism here, but I don't see how Edmonton pulls this off. Florida by trade is a high shot volume, low shot volume against team. I think Florida has a huge edge, and honestly, they need to do it this year because I've looked and, short of dumping young goalie Spencer Knight on someone (4.5M cap hit) and getting Reinhart and Montour to take 1-2M less, and a bridge deal for Lundell....there is just no way for them to bring the entire team back next year. 14.5M tied up in goalies hurts.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Wyopen wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:26 am Anyone else getting sick of McDavid constantly spitting as the camera focuses on him? Talk about nervous habits.
Be happy he’s not doing the Michael Jackson move. :lol:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

According to the Fourth Period, while Jake is still negotiating and hasn't closed the door on Carolina, sounds like he wants to go to market, see what offers are out there, get a good deal, and land on a team that has a chance to win.

So, sounds like, he will look to see what the better Cup contending teams would offer him. I don't think he'd pass up 8M in Carolina to take 9.5M in Arizona Utah, but he will look for a bit of the best of both worlds (money and contender).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:14 am According to the Fourth Period, while Jake is still negotiating and hasn't closed the door on Carolina, sounds like he wants to go to market, see what offers are out there, get a good deal, and land on a team that has a chance to win.

So, sounds like, he will look to see what the better Cup contending teams would offer him. I don't think he'd pass up 8M in Carolina to take 9.5M in Arizona Utah, but he will look for a bit of the best of both worlds (money and contender).
I don't know. If Jake goes to market I don't see Carolina paying up to keep him. Jake is going to get a lot more than $8mill AAV. Yes Carolina is a contender, but Jake won his cup and this will be his last time to get a huge contract. If I was him I would still try to go a good team but I'm leaving a lot on the table.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnott ... ree-agency
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DK had an article about the top 10 prospects for Pens.

10. Broz (F) (2021, 2nd round) -- will be heading for WBS
9. Murashov (G) (2022, 4th round) -- is in Russia, mostly stuck in MHL which isn't ideal
8. Lucius (F) (Guentzel trade) -- expect him to play NCAA
7. Poulin (F) (2019, 1st round) -- should make the NHL roster or be traded
6. St Ivany (D) (FA signing, former 2018 PHI 4th rounder) -- should make the NHL roster or be traded
5. Koivunen (F) (Guentzel trade) -- will be heading for WBS, as a candidate for a call-up
4. Ponomarev (F) (Guentzel trade) -- could make a push to get on the roster, but expect him in WBS, prime candidate for a call-up
3. Pickering (D) (2022, 1st round) -- will be heading for WBS.
2. Blomqvist (G) (2020, 2nd round) -- could make a push to get on the roster, depending on what happens with Ned/Jarry.
1. Yager (F) (2023, 1st round) -- expecting he stays with the team for a little while to start the season, then returns to the WHL.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:57 pm DK had an article about the top 10 prospects for Pens.

9. Murashov (G) (2022, 4th round) -- is in Russia, mostly stuck in MHL which isn't ideal
6. St Ivany (D) (FA signing, former 2018 PHI 4th rounder) -- should make the NHL roster or be traded
5. Koivunen (F) (Guentzel trade) -- will be heading for WBS, as a candidate for a call-up
4. Ponomarev (F) (Guentzel trade) -- could make a push to get on the roster, but expect him in WBS, prime candidate for a call-up
2. Blomqvist (G) (2020, 2nd round) -- could make a push to get on the roster, depending on what happens with Ned/Jarry.
1. Yager (F) (2023, 1st round) -- expecting he stays with the team for a little while to start the season, then returns to the WHL.
I would've thought St. Ivany would be top 3 considering the lengthy contract extension and the fact that he's already penciled in as the 3rd pair RH defenseman.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:53 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:57 pm DK had an article about the top 10 prospects for Pens.

I would've thought St. Ivany would be top 3 considering the lengthy contract extension and the fact that he's already penciled in as the 3rd pair RH defenseman.
I'd expect St. Ivany to be on the team for the opening night roster, along with Blomqvist.
I'd expect Pouiln to be either on the team or traded.
I agree with Ponomarev and Koivunen likely starting in WBS, mainly because of waiver exemption, plus other young guys in Pouiln, Puljujarvi, Puustinen and DOC ahead of them and without waiver protection.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

According to McKeen's. Koivunen #2, Ponomarev #5. Lucius #8 prospects in the Pens system. 23rd overall ranking. Not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago!

Hopefully we can add a couple of nice prospects with our 2 2nd round picks this draft.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

According the Servalli, we could see a Necas trade announced this week.

Was going to say with the way the NHL has scheduled the final potentially ending only a few days before the draft, maybe we will see some trades this week. Final doesn't start until Saturday!

Teams need to get their houses in order for July 1.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:13 pm According to McKeen's. Koivunen #2, Ponomarev #5. Lucius #8 prospects in the Pens system. 23rd overall ranking. Not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago!
Says a lot about our farm that one trade which netted three prospects boosted us from 30th something to 23rd. We'll need more.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:37 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:13 pm According to McKeen's. Koivunen #2, Ponomarev #5. Lucius #8 prospects in the Pens system. 23rd overall ranking. Not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago!
Says a lot about our farm that one trade which netted three prospects boosted us from 30th something to 23rd. We'll need more.
Not sure what it says about McKeen's when they still have Filip Hallander on their list.