Dan Bylsma Expected to be Seattle Kraken HC

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Dan Bylsma Expected to be Seattle Kraken HC

Post by Badger Bob »

I know this is NPR, but I figured this would get more attention in this forum (plus he's obviously a former Pens HC):

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/402 ... ch-tuesday
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dan Bylsma Expected to be Seattle Kraken HC

Post by KG »

Good to see Disco back. Surprised he got the gig to be honest. There are some decent candidates out there. He has been their AHL coach. Guess Francis is looking for someone long-term to grow with the team.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Gotta wonder if he'll initiate Whiffle ball, Moustache boy or Juice Boy there. Let's not forget the ugly sweaters either. Disco Is Baaaaacccckkkk.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Amazing how far disco fell in the coaching world considering him and Sullivan are almost carbon copies performance wise, except Sullivan has actually had FAR MORE years to be worthless and demonstrate nothing, and Disco got booted long before he could keep running the ship into the earth.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Antonio wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:14 pm Amazing how far disco fell in the coaching world considering him and Sullivan are almost carbon copies performance wise, except Sullivan has actually had FAR MORE years to be worthless and demonstrate nothing, and Disco got booted long before he could keep running the ship into the earth.
Uh actually, I think you are misremembering the hot dumpster fire that was the Bylsma era. He wasted the prime of Crosby's and Malkin's careers with his inflexibility, inability to adapt in-game, and refusal to play personnel in their proper positions. You forget the horrible and totally unnecessary playoff Iosses to the Flyers, the Bruins, and Montreal; those were down to poor coaching, a total lack of strategy, and misuse of personnel. And all from a supposed "student of the game". No F****** way Sullivan is worse. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I consider Bylsma only marginally superior to slugs like Pierre Creamer. Therrien built the team that Bylsma rode to the Cup in 2009.

Yeah, Sullivan has worn out his welcome here. But he's got 2 cups. Disco was basically a doorstop on June 13, 2009. :face:
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

DB record in Pit...401 games, 252-117-32.... W% .668... Playoffs...78 games, .551 WP - 1 SC
Guilty of: "unnecessary playoff Iosses, poor coaching, a total lack of strategy, and misuse of personnel"

MS record in Pit...671 games, 375-219-77.... W% .616... Playoffs...82 games (in 4 more seasons), .537 WP - 2 SC
Guilty of: "unnecessary playoff Iosses and misses, poor coaching, a total lack of strategy, and misuse of personnel"

Pretty similar to me.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Antonio wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:57 pm DB record in Pit...401 games, 252-117-32.... W% .668... Playoffs...78 games, .551 WP - 1 SC
Guilty of: "unnecessary playoff Iosses, poor coaching, a total lack of strategy, and misuse of personnel"

MS record in Pit...671 games, 375-219-77.... W% .616... Playoffs...82 games (in 4 more seasons), .537 WP - 2 SC
Guilty of: "unnecessary playoff Iosses and misses, poor coaching, a total lack of strategy, and misuse of personnel"

Pretty similar to me.
Except (as I pointed out), where Malkin and Crosby were in their careers and what could have been achieved then versus now. That team could have won 2-3 more cups. And Sullivan (with an older core) has twice as many cups as Disco - which kind of proves my point.

Not really that similar.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:16 pm
Antonio wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:57 pm DB record in Pit...401 games, 252-117-32.... W% .668... Playoffs...78 games, .551 WP - 1 SC

Pretty similar to me.
Except (as I pointed out), where Malkin and Crosby were in their careers and what could have been achieved then versus now. That team could have won 2-3 more cups. And Sullivan (with an older core) has twice as many cups as Disco - which kind of proves my point.

Not really that similar.
There are a lot of parallels, though. I hate the excuse after excuse, but similar to Jarry **** the bed for Sullivan, MAF did for Bylsma. Remember all those misplays behind the net? In the 11-12 and 12-13 playoffs, Fleury went 4-6 in 11 games, with a 4.11 GAA and .858 SV%. Over that 2 year playoff period, 25 goalies played 2 full games (120 minutes) or more. Only Evgeny Nabakov had worse GAA and SV% than Fleury.

Both coaches also seemed very overconfident in their methods, and while some adjustments were made, they refused to budge in some key areas.