Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Wyopen »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 am I think some critics are too harsh on Dubas.. seems like you guys are excusing Sullivan now thru that!?

Dubas to get F for Acciari, Nieto, Graves? Come on.. Acciari wasnt bad this season, he was solid (almost every game I watched he was noticable for hustle,energy, defensive plays) just missused by Sullivan at C, Nieto barely played 20 games, he didnt find the rythm yet in that span, but you cant even grade that..
Graves was bad,really bad - but who would say he would be that lost and horrible based on previous seasons? Maybe 1 out of 1000! Cant put that on Dubas again! Also lets stop pretending that majority of moves werent dictated by Sullivan too,as he is GM lite..

About trading young guys for some probable targets to improve team, Im pretty much against it.. improve thru trading players that dont fit, vets and FA

Yager, Koivunen, Poulin, Blomquist, Murashev should be untouchable for now, maybe Ponomarev as well..
I agree. If we’re making trades let’s get picks or high prospects. Let’s build the farm system. If we were on the cusp of the SC, maybe Pinto would be a great addition, but we’re not there. I would one day like to “gloat” over our farm system.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 am I think some critics are too harsh on Dubas.. seems like you guys are excusing Sullivan now thru that!?

Dubas to get F for Acciari, Nieto, Graves? Come on.. Acciari wasnt bad this season, he was solid (almost every game I watched he was noticable for hustle,energy, defensive plays) just missused by Sullivan at C, Nieto barely played 20 games, he didnt find the rythm yet in that span, but you cant even grade that..
Graves was bad,really bad - but who would say he would be that lost and horrible based on previous seasons? Maybe 1 out of 1000! Cant put that on Dubas again! Also lets stop pretending that majority of moves werent dictated by Sullivan too,as he is GM lite..

About trading young guys for some probable targets to improve team, Im pretty much against it.. improve thru trading players that dont fit, vets and FA

Yager, Koivunen, Poulin, Blomquist, Murashev should be untouchable for now, maybe Ponomarev as well..
Some criticism is warranted. This season went out like a candle in the night. He made s style choice, adding solid bottom 6ers that can be trusted to hold their own. Top 6 then didn't score enough (looking at you 2nd line). Karlsson didn't click. Smith and Rakell with crap seasons. Bottom 6 underperformed somewhat in points too...

Then again.. at the time, if you ignore the age factor the moves were fine. Some overpayments (all GMs overpay) much term, stupid clauses... Again bread and butter in the NHL sadly.

Acciari was a good add as bottom line wing and temporary 4C standin. Nieto was a good shout too, but was injured and before then didn't add anything. Missed on the swing, should've been buried in AHL. Graves... Who saw THIS level of underperformance coming? Should have been a fine 2nd pair guy, wasn't. Struggled all season to perform at above the level of a tweener. The signs weren't there that he'd fall off a cliff. Don't get me started on Jarry's deal....

Add it all up.. you get a well, crap. That's horrid. And that's on the GM, whether or not he could've helped it. Sully probably had some say, but that's not on him. Picking up Harkins and Phillips offwaivers good grief.

Eller was good. Should ideally be 4C with 3C duty in a pinch. The return for Guentzel I like a lot. Picking up Ludvig was well done. Moving up guys that should prove or bust was good. Puustinen, JSI. Trading out Ruhwedel good. Nedeljkovic, Hellberg good signings.

THIS season will settle whether GMKD is any good. Firing Sully, replacing Jarry. Trading Smith or Rakell, sorting out the D (Pettersson), adding new forwards, extending Crosby... Lots of ways to score points with me!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Imho he CANT fire Sully,sadly.. I dont think he has clearance for that!?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Agreed. I think the bigger issue is Sullivan and his system as opposed to the players Dubas brought in being bad.

Acciari. I loved the signing at the time because of the type of game he has played everywhere until he gets here of course. His scouting reports call him a "bowling ball on skates" who hits everything that moves. Then Sully gets a hold of him, makes him a center and neuter's his game. Acciari is skilled enough to contribute offesnively. Just felt like he wasn't comfortable in his role the entire season. And Sullivan never move him off center. Sham on Sullivan.

Graves. Again, I loved the signing. I thought he was the perfect replacement for Dumo. only 28, big, can round out the top 4 nicely. I think he tried too hard this season and had a hard time adjusting. I expect much better things from him next season.

Smith. Everyone was on board with this trade. 3rd round pick for a strong two-way to 6 forward. Nobody knew he was going to sulk and put 90% of the season.

Karlsson. There is going to be some WTF moments defensively but the good far out-weight the bad. Again I blame the system and Sullivan not letting the dog run.

Jake trade: Bunting provides a snarl we have lacked since Horny left. Ponomarev could very easily be our 3C at some point this season. Koivunen is trending, Cruz is a solid prospect and a 2nd round pick. That's a great start of re-tooling our system.

Yager is progressing. Could wind up being a great draft pick.

In summation! I have no issues with what Dubas did this season. The bigger issue is the coaching staff and not fixing the power play and not holding any veterans accountable.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Another chicken wing shot to a player……by Trouba
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

I'm pretty sure Trouba could take a 2-handed axe swing with his stick to the back of a goalie's head and MIGHT get a 2 minutes penalty at most.

This league is ridiculous in what it tolerates from him. Anyone else today would have been sent to the showers.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

maopens wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:54 pm I'm pretty sure Trouba could take a 2-handed axe swing with his stick to the back of a goalie's head and MIGHT get a 2 minutes penalty at most.

This league is ridiculous in what it tolerates from him. Anyone else today would have been sent to the showers.
A career history of these instances where he targets and attempts to injure.With his current status as Captain of the Franchise the NHL desperately wants to have the Stanley Cup in its possession he is beyond any discipline for these actions.Garage League indeed.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Zalapski33 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:01 pm
maopens wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:54 pm I'm pretty sure Trouba could take a 2-handed axe swing with his stick to the back of a goalie's head and MIGHT get a 2 minutes penalty at most.

A career history of these instances where he targets and attempts to injure.With his current status as Captain of the Franchise the NHL desperately wants to have the Stanley Cup in its possession he is beyond any discipline for these actions.Garage League indeed.
Don't forget he won the Mark Messier Leadership Award this year. I asked someone if he gets to wear those lethal elbow pads Messier wore as a reward. :face:
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:06 pm
Zalapski33 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:01 pm

Don't forget he won the Mark Messier Leadership Award this year. I asked someone if he gets to wear those lethal elbow pads Messier wore as a reward. :face:
Some player should take a two handed, as hard as possible, swipe at his ankles—penalty/fine be damned. If I were the GM of a team, I'd reimburse the player for the amount fined. Garage leagues demand players taking matters into their own hands. Trouba should be suspended for at least 2 games.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

How how how was that not called a major after review? It's a deliberate elbow to the head! Trouba lunges out to make sure he hits his head. This kind of video review situation leads a lot of credence to just dumping video review entirely. NHL totally in the bag for Trouba and the Rags.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

brwi wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:34 pm

How how how was that not called a major after review? It's a deliberate elbow to the head! Trouba lunges out to make sure he hits his head. This kind of video review situation leads a lot of credence to just dumping video review entirely. NHL totally in the bag for Trouba and the Rags.
As a Panthers fan second to Penguins, to me it was 1000% clear Trouba lunged his elbow at Rodrigues' head. On the replay, though, it looked like Trouba got a bit of the body/shoulder before making contact with the head.

I personally think this is a solid case where intent should outweigh the action. If Trouba winds up and takes a vicious two handed slash towards someone but completely misses, is there no penalty? A vicious 2-handed slash attempt serves no meaningful, legal purpose other than an intent to injure.

The exact same thing could be said about Trouba's elbow here. This wasn't a case of checking through the body and the elbow coming out. Trouba specifically raised and separated his elbow from down at his side, seeking out ERod's head. I don't see how you can make any other determination here.

I wonder if I'll still be a hockey fan by the time the NHL finally starts getting this stuff right.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Yeah, no doubt at all.. Trouba should be suspended for 2 games at least.. NHL and refs suck ass with this decision, corrupted asswipes!? Rangers being pushed forward again..
drewcpappas

Post by drewcpappas »

NFL goes out of it's way to eliminate hits to the head, yet the NHL finds ways to justify the hits.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

From what I've read I'm betting a LOT of NY fans love Truba and his style of play. Especially if it gets them the Cup.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Seen a different angle where it looks like he hits the shoulder and numbers primarily. Lots of fans reading into that it was just a minor or a clean hit (lol)

What wasn't seen on that angle was the tip of the elbow that I believe extended into ERod's face and made contact at the same time, or was the primary contact point.

What's worse, even if it is mainly shoulder contact, he aimed the elbow at the head with (assumed) attempt to injure. That's a match penalty and suspension at least. GTFO refs.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Just like any other delinquent behavior...the NHL does not give 1 **** about player safety, never has. You want to actually stop those kind of plays? It really is not hard at all. 10 game suspension then season suspension then league expulsion. Start kicking the Tom Wilsons out of the NHL and it will be over in 1 season, but they don't want that so it will never happen. As we all know...NHL = best sport worst league...and it is not even close. The NHL is and always has been a goddamn embarrassment.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

League just handed down the maximum $5k fine for the Trouba elbow.

$5k that’ll teach a player that makes over $8mill a year lol.

The players collectively bargained that $5k would be the maximum fine. They are at fault here too.

That said, Trouba is a repeat offender and should be getting suspended now.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:46 pm League just handed down the maximum $5k fine for the Trouba elbow.

The players collectively bargained that $5k would be the maximum fine. They are at fault here too.

If $5000 is the highest fine and they’re reluctant to suspend anyone, what’s to keep someone from Florida from ending Trouba’s career? I think that’s a serious question the NHL needs to address when handing down half arse punishment.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

As long as Parros is in charge of Player Safety, nothing will change. When you have to physically maim someone to win then that says a lot about how the league feels about player safety. $5K is a slap on the wrist...if that.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Bylsma replacing the fired Hakstol in Seattle. Expected to be announced tomorrow. He is currently coaching Seattle's AHL affiliate in the AHL finals.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Best trade idea I've seen this week....OTT trades Shane Pinto....to BOS for Linus Ullmark. If OTT and Pinto are as far apart as rumors claim, BOS would be a good spot for Pinto, and OTT could use better goaltending.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:38 pm Best trade idea I've seen this week....OTT trades Shane Pinto....to BOS for Linus Ullmark. If OTT and Pinto are as far apart as rumors claim, BOS would be a good spot for Pinto, and OTT could use better goaltending.
Ullmark is a UFA after next season, I wouldn't really like that if I'm Ottawa
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:01 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:38 pm Best trade idea I've seen this week....OTT trades Shane Pinto....to BOS for Linus Ullmark. If OTT and Pinto are as far apart as rumors claim, BOS would be a good spot for Pinto, and OTT could use better goaltending.
Ullmark is a UFA after next season, I wouldn't really like that if I'm Ottawa
I don't mind the UFA status; they'd have time to sign him, but, I didn't realize he was 30. Thought he was a few years younger.

An alternative might be Pinto for Gustavsson of the Wild. I thought I saw that Gustavsson might seek a trade after Fleury was re-signed for another year. Rossi is penciled in as Wild's #2 center, but he's also been rumored to be on the block. The Wild also have Jesper Wallstedt in the minors, a 21 year old goalie.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/543984 ... ee-agency/
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

KG wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:46 pm League just handed down the maximum $5k fine for the Trouba elbow.

I think a lot of people miss this aspect about NHL player safety. The NHLPA agreed to this maximum joke of an amount. And I would venture to guess that the players were responsible for this much more than the owners. Since they gave up so much in the 2004-05 lockout and in escrow they probably negotiated this as a way to keep the league from taking more of their money. I would really love for someone in the media to ask one of the players who heads up the union to explain the reasoning behind fines that are 0.000625% of a player's salary.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Ding! Ding! Ding! This is exactly right!
It’s not only the league that’s stupid, but the NHLPA as well.