Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pens4Life »

Sure,but with limited ice time, many times didnt see the ice in last periods. Sullivan mismanagement again..
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pens4Life wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:09 pm Sure,but with limited ice time, many times didnt see the ice in last periods. Sullivan mismanagement again..
He's young and learning. Pretty sure he's not upset at playing in the NHL.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 pm Surprised he didn’t test the market. Even if the team told him he was in their plans there hasn’t been a player under 30 that has been trusted with a spot they earned unless massive injuries happened since 2016.
Agreed. He was a UFA who put up some points. Figured he would certainly get more than the league minimum. Good job KD doing some business early locking up him and Poulin to cheap multi-year contracts.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Watching Finland at WC is like watching Pens, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Granlund, Maatta, Riikola all there heh..
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pitts wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:09 pm Sure,but with limited ice time, many times didnt see the ice in last periods. Sullivan mismanagement again..
He's young and learning. Pretty sure he's not upset at playing in the NHL.
Puustinen's career:
- Played 1 season for Hameenlinna in the Liiga.
- Drafted by Pens.
- Played 2 more seasons for Hameenlinna.
- Played 2 seasons for WBS.
- Played last season for PIT/WBS (70-30)
- Guaranteed to be a fixture on the NHL roster next season.

This is a logical progression. League minimum while staying up all season is an improvement over last year. I wouldn't be unhappy if I were Puustinen, it's a good deal for everyone.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

There have been better opportunities at almost every other team for young players who make a good impression to be rewarded in ice time. I’m am happy he’s back but Sullivan has shown after he got called up with a bunch of WBS players he has never looked at young players again to round out the roster except for Guentzel.

Puustinen getting benched in the 4th so Carter could play more was bad coaching. Sullivan also did this with DOC until he had to play him more or dress 7 defensemen.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DelPen wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:28 pm There have been better opportunities at almost every other team for young players who make a good impression to be rewarded in ice time. I’m am happy he’s back but Sullivan has shown after he got called up with a bunch of WBS players he has never looked at young players again to round out the roster except for Guentzel.

Puustinen getting benched in the 4th so Carter could play more was bad coaching. Sullivan also did this with DOC until he had to play him more or dress 7 defensemen.
Until injuries and dismal results forced his hand, yes, agreed.

From all the bottom 6 / NHL-AHL tweeners we have, I'm not interested in guys like Hinostroza, Johnstone, Harkins, Nieto and frankly Zohorna too. Puustinen should have a roster spot next season, like DOC this season. Puljujärvi, eh, I dunno. He's alright but doesn't do much for me. Same with Bemström. Poulin and Ponomarev are the unknowns to explore. Koivunen and Broz will be further out.

Defensively, St Ivany should be pushing for a spot as 7D. Shea had his time under the sun. Pickering probably not there yet.

In net, Blomqvist needs some time up with the big club, too. Man if we could replace Jarry with a cheaper alternative (find me another Ned), that'd be nice.

If we're seeing Sullivan trot out the veterans night after night, especially in the forwards group, we'll know he's not interested in building the next Penguins team but wants to keep playing the old one. Literally.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Edmonton goalie Skinner has been horrible in the playoffs. He has an all-time low save percentage amongst goalies that have played 20 playoff games.

Wonder if they go out against Vancouver if they won't come calling the Pens for Jarry? He's from western Canada. One would think the Pens would listen to the inquiry.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:56 pm Edmonton goalie Skinner has been horrible in the playoffs. He has an all-time low save percentage amongst goalies that have played 20 playoff games.

Wonder if they go out against Vancouver if they won't come calling the Pens for Jarry? He's from western Canada. One would think the Pens would listen to the inquiry.
They should have called about Jarry at the deadline. Everyone was saying that the Oilers needed to address the goalie. Every year they don't is another year wasted of McDavid and Drai's career.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

“They should have called about Jarry at the deadline. Everyone was saying that the Oilers needed to address the goalie. Every year they don't is another year wasted of McDavid and Drai's career”

You mean like us wasting Crosby, Malkin, and Letangs career?
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 pm
KG wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:56 pm Edmonton goalie Skinner has been horrible in the playoffs. He has an all-time low save percentage amongst goalies that have played 20 playoff games.

They should have called about Jarry at the deadline. Everyone was saying that the Oilers needed to address the goalie. Every year they don't is another year wasted of McDavid and Drai's career.
At some point you can't keep claiming the goalies. Too many have gone through there and under performed. I honestly think you need to point at the defense... It's never been very deep out consistent going back before McDavid.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

How many years did they have the #1 draft pick that, for whatever reasons, never really worked out and/or were traded ? The question I have is ....is that on the players or the coaches involved with player development ?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

stonewizard51 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:45 am How many years did they have the #1 draft pick that, for whatever reasons, never really worked out and/or were traded ? The question I have is ....is that on the players or the coaches involved with player development ?
Edmonton has been dismal for decades - long before McDavid showed up. They've been through numerous GM's and coaches along the way. It's a head scratcher for sure. The Isles have been a similar team on the east side as well -- a long time of high picks and horrible results.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Rumours circulating that Penguins are eyeing LAK young winger Arthur Kaliyev, kinda slow skating power forward with hellava wrister.. he is RFA and as LAK dont have him in longterm plans anymore rumours say ,I dont think they should expect kings ransome for him in a potential trade.. Sign and trade for R.Smith and prospect,would be good enough. Kings are looking for experianced players..
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Can non playoff teams make trades now, or must they wait until playoffs are over?
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

He would be in Sully's doghouse real quick.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:59 pm Can non playoff teams make trades now, or must they wait until playoffs are over?
Anyone can make trades at any time (unless there is a league-wide roster freeze, usually for ASG break and holidays). Only difference is, any trades made after the trade deadline means that player cannot play in post-season games.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:28 pm
Wyopen wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:59 pm Can non playoff teams make trades now, or must they wait until playoffs are over?
Anyone can make trades at any time (unless there is a league-wide roster freeze, usually for ASG break and holidays). Only difference is, any trades made after the trade deadline means that player cannot play in post-season games.
Thanks
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 pm Rumours circulating that Penguins are eyeing LAK young winger Arthur Kaliyev, kinda slow skating power forward with hellava wrister.. he is RFA and as LAK dont have him in longterm plans anymore rumours say ,I dont think they should expect kings ransome for him in a potential trade.. Sign and trade for R.Smith and prospect,would be good enough. Kings are looking for experianced players..
Is this coming from anywhere else besides Kingerski's site?

EDIT: Oh, I see the Hockey News also has an article "linking/wishing/hoping" him as a good fit for the Penguins. I don't see the fit. The only "pluses" are that he is young @ 22, has some size, and has a good shot.

One scouting report from February of this year lists his skating as "Barely adequate skater for the pace of the NHL." That simply will not fly in a Mike Sullivan system. His skating rating by that same scouting report ranked in the low 60s, which is pretty awful. HARD PASS for me on Kaliyev.

Kingerski mentioned Nicolas Robertson or Max Jones as other potential RFAs who could want a change of scenery. I don't really see a fit for either here. Robertson is a smallish forward. There's nothing I like about Robertson's game that we don't already have in Puustinen. This is where, when a guy says "yeah, Player X must not be good because he didn't catch on with another team." And this is where I would often counter "we have several of our own prospects that I would rather get a look at than Player X." It's just a numbers and development game.

Max Jones was a 3rd player Kingerski mentioned. I'm indifferent. He has some size and uses it, but right now he's a 4th line producer who makes 1.295M on his expiring RFA deal and has arbitration rights. Another pass.

I think we could do better with our fringe adds than these 3.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Tue May 14, 2024 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:31 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 pm Rumours circulating that Penguins are eyeing LAK young winger Arthur Kaliyev, kinda slow skating power forward with hellava wrister.. he is RFA and as LAK dont have him in longterm plans anymore rumours say ,I dont think they should expect kings ransome for him in a potential trade.. Sign and trade for R.Smith and prospect,would be good enough. Kings are looking for experianced players..
I saw Kingerski speculated the Pens could potentially have buy low options in Robertson in Toronto and Kaliyev in LA. Nothing of substance, just speculation on his part. Both would be interesting players, as long as the cost is cheap.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Rodrigues and Tanev back?? https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... uins-radar

Honestly, I'd take Tanev in a heartbeat.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:32 pm Rodrigues and Tanev back?? https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... uins-radar

Gladly take them both back. Especially Tanev. Tanev for Smith trade might make sense. Seattle needs scoring.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

KG wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:32 pm Rodrigues and Tanev back?? https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... uins-radar

Gladly take them both back. Especially Tanev. Tanev for Smith trade might make sense. Seattle needs scoring.
I would do that as well - instant upgrade.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I'd take them both back. Tanev-Eller-Puljujarvi/Acciari would be an extremely solid 4th line.

Smith and a 7th for Tanev and a 3rd.

I'd take ERod back too, mainly because of his versatility. Can play on any line, and position, and at any strength. Plus, he's right handed.

But we do need to balance adding some youth with filling holes.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:31 pm

EDIT: Oh, I see the Hockey News also has an article "linking/wishing/hoping" him as a good fit for the Penguins. I don't see the fit. The only "pluses" are that he is young @ 22, has some size, and has a good shot.

One scouting report from February of this year lists his skating as "Barely adequate skater for the pace of the NHL." That simply will not fly in a Mike Sullivan system. His skating rating by that same scouting report ranked in the low 60s, which is pretty awful. HARD PASS for me on Kaliyev.

Kingerski mentioned Nicolas Robertson or Max Jones as other potential RFAs who could want a change of scenery. I don't really see a fit for either here. Robertson is a smallish forward. There's nothing I like about Robertson's game that we don't already have in Puustinen. This is where, when a guy says "yeah, Player X must not be good because he didn't catch on with another team." And this is where I would often counter "we have several of our own prospects that I would rather get a look at than Player X." It's just a numbers and development game.

Max Jones was a 3rd player Kingerski mentioned. I'm indifferent. He has some size and uses it, but right now he's a 4th line producer who makes 1.295M on his expiring RFA deal and has arbitration rights. Another pass.

I think we could do better with our fringe adds than these 3.
Offer sheet Byfield.