Jake to Carolina

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Jake to Carolina

Post by Daniel »

stonewizard51 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:32 am
brwi wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:12 pm
stonewizard51 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:21 am With only $500K in cap, you know somebody has to go.
Which team is that? Not Carolina.

The Canes did use Bunting on PP1 but usually he was in the high bumper spot and had all of one PP goal there. Their PP doesn't use a guy parked in front of the goaltender as I'm sure the thinking is that doing so takes away an excellent passing lane. They are hardly the only team that feels that way and also they had the #2 PP in the NHL, but now might be the time to change that up because what was working sure isn't now.

Bunting is a great fit in Pittsburgh but he wasn't in Carolina, mainly due to his inability to play a two-way game adequately in a man-to-man system. Guentzel hasn't been the most diligent backchecker in his career, but in the Canes' system, he's been pretty solid and when you're playing man you are exposed for all the world to see. Bunting just didn't get it at the start of the season and ended up on the 4th line for a while amidst rumors of not fitting in with the roster and had kind of worked his way back to the 2nd line before being traded.
I got the info from CapFriendly. It has them currently at $506K, unless I read it wrong. If I did, sorry, my bad. They, like most, have some UFA's that probably won't be re-signed so that will help a little in the Cap area. IMHO, you know Jake's not gonna come cheap.
The $506K is this years cap but next year they have about $27M with 17 people signed.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Thanks. I misread it. My bad
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:35 am
stonewizard51 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:35 am
Badger Bob wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:32 pm Sweep avoided.
Meh...Still doesn't get us a 1st round pick. :roll:
Even if Carolina makes it to the SCF by some miraculous turn of events -- and loses it. The difference between an early 2nd rounder and 31st overall is pretty much nothing.
Except it is not an either/or... it wasn't a draft position swap. The Pens have their (relatively) early/mid second round pick regardless. Getting Carolina's first would effectively give them two early/mid second round picks, versus the now likely situation of two mid/late second round picks.

They're not gaining an early second round pick from Carolina being eliminated early, they are gaining a late second round pick. There would still have been an appreciable benefit to the Pens if Carolina had made the final.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Sigwolf wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:21 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:35 am
stonewizard51 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:35 am
Badger Bob wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:32 pm Sweep avoided.
Meh...Still doesn't get us a 1st round pick. :roll:
Even if Carolina makes it to the SCF by some miraculous turn of events -- and loses it. The difference between an early 2nd rounder and 31st overall is pretty much nothing.
Except it is not an either/or... it wasn't a draft position swap. The Pens have their (relatively) early/mid second round pick regardless. Getting Carolina's first would effectively give them two early/mid second round picks, versus the now likely situation of two mid/late second round picks.

They're not gaining an early second round pick from Carolina being eliminated early, they are gaining a late second round pick. There would still have been an appreciable benefit to the Pens if Carolina had made the final.

It's the Flyers pick at 44 that Carolina owns that would come to Pittsburgh in the Guentzel trade if Carolina doesn't make the finals, not the Hurricanes own 2nd round pick. So its a loss of 13 spots in the draft if Carolina falls short of the finals. So the Pens likely have the 44th and 46th overall this draft and no third round pick.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Didn't remember that it was the Flyer's pick, but regardless, though Carolina not making the final doesn't mean a full round drop in picks, it is still nearly half a round. How significant that is will never truly be known, but it might have made a difference.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Penguins should have picks #44 (PHI) and #46 (PIT) in the 2nd round.

44th, 46th, POJ rights, rights to G Sergei Mursahov to OTT for #7 overall and rights to Shane Pinto.

Draft Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton, or Eiserman.

Please and thank you.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:28 am Penguins should have picks #44 (PHI) and #46 (PIT) in the 2nd round.

44th, 46th, POJ rights, rights to G Sergei Mursahov to OTT for #7 overall and rights to Shane Pinto.

Please and thank you.
That's an interesting proposition, and would be a big move. I could see Dubas going smaller by dealing one of the 2nd round picks + something else for a young player who's on the cusp of NHL duty. This would be sort of like the Canadiens dealing their first round pick to the Blackhawks for Kirby Dach.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:28 am Penguins should have picks #44 (PHI) and #46 (PIT) in the 2nd round.

Please and thank you.
That’s gross overpayment by Ottawa. Maybe we can get our original 1st back from SJ for the two 2nds plus something if SJ thinks there’s better value having two picks in the 40’s but that’s doubtful too.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:37 pm

Please and thank you.
That’s gross overpayment by Ottawa. Maybe we can get our original 1st back from SJ for the two 2nds plus something if SJ thinks there’s better value having two picks in the 40’s but that’s doubtful too.
It's probably not enough to move up to #7. But I'm hoping Dubas tries something smaller like one of the 2nds and something else for Pinto.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

1/19. Looks like Jake took the Pens PP to Carolina too.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Canes blew a 3-1 lead in the third to get eliminated.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 pm Canes blew a 3-1 lead in the third to get eliminated.
Jake must have felt right at home then after playing so long for the Pens
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Jake is going to Uber wealthy on his next contract. 7 years, 77 million. Contact my agent before you even contemplate moving me. Relocation fees are negotiable.

The new corporate NHL deal.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

BigMcK wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:13 am Jake is going to Uber wealthy on his next contract. 7 years, 77 million. Contact my agent before you even contemplate moving me. Relocation fees are negotiable.

My bet is Chicago.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Pens in BC, Vancouver. Or, Minnesota.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:41 am
BigMcK wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:13 am Jake is going to Uber wealthy on his next contract. 7 years, 77 million. Contact my agent before you even contemplate moving me. Relocation fees are negotiable.

My bet is Chicago.
Not so sure on Chicago. They have Bedard and that's about it right now. Frank Nazar is good and will help, and Oliver Moore is 1-3 years away in college. Korchinski on defense...and that's about it right now. If I'm Chicago, I'm probably looking at someone like Sam Dickinson on defense at #2 overall.

Chicago is probably still 3 years away from being a strong contender. Too many holes to fill even with a lot of money to spend.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:48 am

My bet is Chicago.
Not so sure on Chicago. They have Bedard and that's about it right now. Frank Nazar is good and will help, and Oliver Moore is 1-3 years away in college. Korchinski on defense...and that's about it right now. If I'm Chicago, I'm probably looking at someone like Sam Dickinson on defense at #2 overall.

Chicago is probably still 3 years away from being a strong contender. Too many holes to fill even with a lot of money to spend.
I think he stays in Carolina. And they don't resign teravainen.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

dark_forces wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:33 am

My bet is Chicago.

Agreed. Jake has been the best wing they've had in a long time.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:42 am
dark_forces wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:33 am

My bet is Chicago.

Agreed. Jake has been the best wing they've had in a long time.
Would be surprise if they let Jake go. They can let Skeji, Teravainen, Pesce go. Their biggest issue is Freddie in goal. He has 1 more year left on his contract at $3.4mill. They have to find a way to get out of that.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Not even 31/32 overall as a first rounder. Really drank all the poison there.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:17 pm
Skjei and TT would work for me. Gotta move out Smith and Graves, but both instant upgrades in my mind.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:28 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:17 pm
Skjei and TT would work for me. Gotta move out Smith and Graves, but both instant upgrades in my mind.
If Dubas could get out of the Graves or Karlsson deal this summer, he'd be a magician. I don't think we'll have that luxury and the defense is going to be mainly the same, with POJ-St. Ivany as the likely 3rd pair.

I like Teravainen, but, I still think this team needs to add more of the "playoff built" players. The DeBrusk, Duhaime types. We don't want to get overloaded with those types either, but...

I'd rather see Smith out for picks or prospects, and Debrusk in.
If we wanted to bring in a TT or Ehlers (he's reportedly going to be on the move, too), then I think those guys would need to replace a Rakell or Rust. I don't want to see this team get back to what we've had...a bunch of undersized perimeter players that won't go to the net. Bunting was the start. Would like another in the top 6, and another energy guy like Duhaime in the bottom 6.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I agree we need players like DeBrusk but even at 27 he’s already too old to help. We need to find some 23 year olds who will be able to take the next step this year to be like DeBrusk but haven’t put it all together yet.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

DelPen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:54 pm I agree we need players like DeBrusk but even at 27 he’s already too old to help. We need to find some 23 year olds who will be able to take the next step this year to be like DeBrusk but haven’t put it all together yet.
Lawson Crouse will be 27 this summer but is signed by Utah for 4.3 M for 3 more years and had 175 hits last year. It'd be tough to get them to give him up.