The Return of the Playoff Tracker Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The Return of the Playoff Tracker Thread

Post by Badger Bob »

Geno's parents are not permitted to leave the country at this point.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Caps lost in OT so that’s nice.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Seems like it's going to come down to Pens/Isles/Wings. 3 teams for 2 spots...

They all play against each other too. Giddy up!
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

KG wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:56 pm Seems like it's going to come down to Pens/Isles/Wings. 3 teams for 2 spots...

They all play against each other too. Giddy up!
Too early to discount the Caps, unfortunately. Their recent free-fall has been nice to observe, but if they can turn things around for a few games they are still easily in striking distance.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

What scares me is, the Penguins and Islanders have been the 2 hottest teams of the 5 teams in the battle. They are bound to cool off. The question is, can they return to just .500 play and stay ahead of the other struggling teams, or does WSH, DET, and/or PHI get hot.
VA Fan

Post by VA Fan »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:41 am What scares me is, the Penguins and Islanders have been the 2 hottest teams of the 5 teams in the battle. They are bound to cool off. The question is, can they return to just .500 play and stay ahead of the other struggling teams, or does WSH, DET, and/or PHI get hot.
[/quote

I agree that is my concern too.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

You KNOW this is going to be decided April 17 against the Islanders on the island.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Islanders have 2 games against the Rangers and 1 against the Devils. They are not going to make it easy on the Isles to get in.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Yeah, my worry is that while the Pens have been winning, I don't think they've been playing THAT outstanding. Obviously, a lot better than they were a month ago, but this isn't like 2009 or 2016 where they were just dominant down the stretch. They blew a lead to a bad Columbus team, got overwhelmed by Colorado and Tampa when they dialed up the intensity (though obviously to the Pens credit, they were able to hang on and grab the winner against Tampa), and looked like mud for 2 periods against the Devils before coming to life. It feels like they're due to regress a bit.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

largegarlic wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:48 am Yeah, my worry is that while the Pens have been winning, I don't think they've been playing THAT outstanding. Obviously, a lot better than they were a month ago, but this isn't like 2009 or 2016 where they were just dominant down the stretch. They blew a lead to a bad Columbus team, got overwhelmed by Colorado and Tampa when they dialed up the intensity (though obviously to the Pens credit, they were able to hang on and grab the winner against Tampa), and looked like mud for 2 periods against the Devils before coming to life. It feels like they're due to regress a bit.

We are due some excellent compete levels from a team that has given up the ghost too many times -- and know it. It's still our spot if we play right. Let's go Pens!
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

largegarlic wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:48 am Yeah, my worry is that while the Pens have been winning, I don't think they've been playing THAT outstanding. Obviously, a lot better than they were a month ago, but this isn't like 2009 or 2016 where they were just dominant down the stretch. They blew a lead to a bad Columbus team, got overwhelmed by Colorado and Tampa when they dialed up the intensity (though obviously to the Pens credit, they were able to hang on and grab the winner against Tampa), and looked like mud for 2 periods against the Devils before coming to life. It feels like they're due to regress a bit.
I don't know, man. I see a team flying up and down the ice, forechecking like their jobs depend on it (for the most part), backchecking the same, battling, getting to the net and making things happen. There is energy in this team suddenly and while they're not prefect - not even contenders in my view, really, they are making things interesting at least. I could see this iteration of this team making a 2-round run this spring assuming they keep this energy level... and Sullivan doesn't gink it by freaking putting Harkins or any of those other duds back in... which we can assume he will... which will lead to a 0-for end to the season. But oh we can't can him because we'd immediately need to hire him back because he's exactly the coach we need or something.

Sorry... kind of got off the rails there at the end. :lol:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I think the first 2 periods they played against Tampa were dominant and reminiscent of the 16-17 cup teams.

Problem is they can't keep that pace going all game andymore. They really need to put all of their effort into team defense and minimizing odd-man rushes.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:50 pm
I think the first 2 periods they played against Tampa were dominant and reminiscent of the 16-17 cup teams.

Problem is they can't keep that pace going all game andymore. They really need to put all of their effort into team defense and minimizing odd-man rushes.
That's probably a fairer way of putting what I was thinking. They have at least looked dominant in stretches but haven't been able to do that for 60 minutes. But in this winning stretch, they've been dominant enough of the time and at the right times that it's worked out for them. My worry would then be that looking great for 20-40 minutes won't be enough down the stretch to get them all the points they'd need.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:58 am

We are due some excellent compete levels from a team that has given up the ghost too many times -- and know it. It's still our spot if we play right. Let's go Pens!
Like Donald Sutherland says" Lets have some positive waves!" At least when we fail to make the playoffs our draft pick will be outside the top 10 and we can complete the EK trade this year. I am still rooting for them to make the playoffs at this point. But just look at all the points we have already left on the table! And when do we start to string wins together??? When Sully plays the youngsters! LOL. We are winning despite Sully's coaching! :fist:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

So we want Detroit to beat the CAPS?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

penny lane wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:51 pm So we want Detroit to beat the CAPS?
It's bad either way, but one thing we definitely need is for it to be over in regulation.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

penny lane wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:51 pm So we want Detroit to beat the CAPS?

I think this is implying the Pens want the Caps to win in regulation? Not positive though.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Admin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:37 pm

I think this is implying the Pens want the Caps to win in regulation? Not positive though.
Without seeing that chart, my own guess was it was better for the Caps to beat Detroit, mainly because after that game, all 3 teams will have 4 games left. If Capitals win, they will be 1 point ahead of the Penguins. If Detroit wins, they'll be 2 points ahead of the Penguins.

So I think overall it is better for the Caps to be a point above us rather than Detroit to be 2 ahead of us.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Full chart at https://moneypuck.com/preview.htm?id=2023021240

My take is we'd rather have the Caps with a win at 43% chance of getting in vs the Wings at 66.9% at getting in with a win.

Which is the same as "Caps to be a point above us rather than Detroit to be 2 ahead of us." :lol:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Penguins biggest advantage is, they hold the Regulation Wins tiebreaker over all other teams (NYI, PHI, DET, & WSH).
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:22 pm Penguins biggest advantage is, they hold the Regulation Wins tiebreaker over all other teams (NYI, PHI, DET, & WSH).
Which is nice!

... but then you realise it's because they tend to crumble and throw everything away in OT.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Admin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:49 pm Full chart at https://moneypuck.com/preview.htm?id=2023021240

My take is we'd rather have the Caps with a win at 43% chance of getting in vs the Wings at 66.9% at getting in with a win.

Which is the same as "Caps to be a point above us rather than Detroit to be 2 ahead of us." :lol:
How about I just have someone water board me for 2.5 hours and then when I finally come to I won't care who'd won?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Started watching The West Wing, will continue tonight.
Who am I kidding, I'll be checking all night long.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Let's Go Capitals....oh my gosh....

Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 100565 »

If DET wins in regulation tonight and the Pens win all their remaining games in regulation, the Pens are guaranteed a playoff spot.

If WAS win tonight, the Pens could win all remaining games in regulation and miss the playoffs.

Just sayin.

I doubt the Pens win all their remaining games in regulation so I am rooting for any outcome that does not involve OT.