Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

Toke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:34 am Does Carter really have to be in the lineup every game?! Wouldn't it be a good idea to give Pool Party a decent look going forward?
Yes. Every game. Along with 2nd power play unit duty. And PK duty. Really has become a joke.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:58 am
Toke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:34 am Does Carter really have to be in the lineup every game?! Wouldn't it be a good idea to give Pool Party a decent look going forward?
Yes. Every game. Along with 2nd power play unit duty. And PK duty. Really has become a joke.
That's my question as well. It's not like the Puljujarvi experiment is over and they are passing on him. He was signed to a 2 year deal. He's here next year. I saw zero issues with his play. I didn't see him taking shifts off, he scored a goal, had some good looks.

It's the same thing with Poulin and Jack St. Ivany. Dubas said that one of the reasons they traded Ruhwedel was to get some of these young d-men a look. I assume that group was POJ, Ludvig, Shea...but should also include St. Ivany, Rathbone, and Samorukov. St Ivany is the only one that is a true RH RD. He's an RFA. He's been in WBS for 2 years; he played at Yale and BC, so he turns 25 this summer. He's hit that age where they need to see what he has at the NHL level, or move on. And while I haven't seen a ton of him at WBS, he seems like he's done enough to to earn a chance to take that 3rd pairing RD spot next year.

Poulin...I don't know what the heck they are doing with him. He was hurt long-term early in the season. Apparently in February, he was sick, otherwise he likely would have been called up. Now he's healthy, he's been playing well again, and they still don't call him up. Why are we giving a 39 year old Jeff Carter a lineup spot, instead of getting more of a look at Puljujarvi or Poulin.

Head scratching. But that's Sully for ya.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Onto another topic for a second, but just read the story about Pickering in the Athletic. Very interesting. I had no idea he struggled so much with injuries, one being an ankle last year that stopped him from doing lower body work all summer. Also, I didn't know that his growth spurts have him now standing at 6-5 (still weights only 185 - in other words, 4 inches taller and 40 pounds lighter than this old man! I'll bet my BMI is a shade higher as well... ha!). He's added 14 pounds, though, so he's beginning to bulk up. Anyway, from what I read, he's a cerebral player and person who, "according to all those around him, built for what lies ahead."

He allegedly has great hockey sense, which is something you either have or you don't, I'd think. Also, seems to have a little chip on his shoulder because of the all the setbacks. He's now the captain in Swift Current, and they're 3rd in their conference in the WHL, so he'll get some much-needed playoff experience this year.

I hadn't heard much about him, and, honestly, I don't follow prospects half as much as some of you do, so came from a place of ignorance on the subject. But after reading that story, I'm thinking they may have something in this guy, as long as he keeps developing. I hope they don't toss him into some trade this summer unless it's for something pretty good. I like what I've read about Yager as well. Throw in a top 10 pick this year and at least the cupboard isn't quite as bare as it has been.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Unless Puljujarvi is hurt then it make no sense to not ham play over Cart or Bemstrom and you could even put a few more players on that list.

If it is his hip acting up I would bet he goes on LTIR when Nieto is ever ready to come off.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Can we cryogenically freeze Sid for two or three years while these young guys develop?
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

ahawk9 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:59 pm Onto another topic for a second, but just read the story about Pickering in the Athletic. Very interesting. I had no idea he struggled so much with injuries, one being an ankle last year that stopped him from doing lower body work all summer. Also, I didn't know that his growth spurts have him now standing at 6-5 (still weights only 185 - in other words, 4 inches taller and 40 pounds lighter than this old man! I'll bet my BMI is a shade higher as well... ha!). He's added 14 pounds, though, so he's beginning to bulk up. Anyway, from what I read, he's a cerebral player and person who, "according to all those around him, built for what lies ahead."

He allegedly has great hockey sense, which is something you either have or you don't, I'd think. Also, seems to have a little chip on his shoulder because of the all the setbacks. He's now the captain in Swift Current, and they're 3rd in their conference in the WHL, so he'll get some much-needed playoff experience this year.

I hadn't heard much about him, and, honestly, I don't follow prospects half as much as some of you do, so came from a place of ignorance on the subject. But after reading that story, I'm thinking they may have something in this guy, as long as he keeps developing. I hope they don't toss him into some trade this summer unless it's for something pretty good. I like what I've read about Yager as well. Throw in a top 10 pick this year and at least the cupboard isn't quite as bare as it has been.
Thanks for the report on Pickering. I don't follow prospects that closely either, but I thought the last thing I read on him a few months ago indicated that he might have plateaued, and they weren't sure he had as high a ceiling as hoped. This report sounds more positive.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

ahawk9 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:59 pm Onto another topic for a second, but just read the story about Pickering in the Athletic. Very interesting. I had no idea he struggled so much with injuries, one being an ankle last year that stopped him from doing lower body work all summer. Also, I didn't know that his growth spurts have him now standing at 6-5 (still weights only 185 - in other words, 4 inches taller and 40 pounds lighter than this old man! I'll bet my BMI is a shade higher as well... ha!). He's added 14 pounds, though, so he's beginning to bulk up. Anyway, from what I read, he's a cerebral player and person who, "according to all those around him, built for what lies ahead."

I was thinking of a similar post. I liked that article and what I heard from him. I think as he matures and stays (?) healthy, he's going to be a nice player for us. 6'5" and packing on pounds!
Last edited by Pitts on Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:57 pm
largegarlic wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:13 pm I'll wait till the summer to get more upset at Dubas. I'm completely baffled by his not firing Sullivan yet, but his other moves have all mostly made sense, even if they didn't pan out as hoped.
The biggest thing I haven't liked from Dubas to date is doubling-down on aging players. Hextall tried that last year, and it failed miserably. Adding Acciari, Nieto, Eller, EK65 didn't help our cause, age wise.

My first big WTF will be Dubas wasn't just giving lip service about Carter, and actually re-signs the guy. He's not as bad as he was last year, but at this point, he's more of the problem than the solution. Great, he can PK and win faceoffs. But his effort is lacking quite often, he's continually gifted a sweater, and his automatic inclusion comes at the cost of other players.

I do have a strong feeling that we shouldn't get attached to all of the Guentzel prospects, because my gut and his words tell me he's going to make a swing this offseason for a younger RFA type forward, using some of those prospects.
Yeah, that's the thing. I'm willing to interpret in-season comments as lip service...saying something nice about the guy as he plays his last ~20 games. If he actually tries to re-sign him in the offseason, that's a problem.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

This team NEEDS to get younger and faster…..we have been saying that for years! No more players over 30 at this point since we are realistically not making a push for a cup. So start the youth movement now. Get some decent scouts first and foremost. Get rid of Sully! Let Crosby go chase a cup. Get a good return for the greatest player of his generation.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:48 pm
Sid is 5-11, 200 pounds and he looks like a child next to those two!
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... yoff-race/
And again, I can only shake my head and wonder. When the Penguins lose, readers can’t get enough of the Penguins coverage.

When the Penguins win — which hasn’t been often — tumbleweeds blow through. It’s like fans really don’t want the Penguins to win. Let me explain something: until players want to lose, the team is actually going to try to win. They’re going through some complex emotions and are in their own heads, but the door has not been closed on making the playoffs. That’s all they want to talk about.

Maybe a win will finally get them out of this funk. They’ve not been fun to watch or talk to.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

He always read more like a Brian Dumoulin or Marcus Pettersson type of prospect than a no defense all offense guy. Those tall rangy shut down guys will be pretty valuable to the Penguins.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

From DK's Friday Insider piece today, he says that the Penguins NEVER offered Guentzel a contract. Dubas and his agent talked a bit of preliminary talks before the season, but there was never a contract offer based on those numbers. Says Guentzel and his team/family hoped that as things got closer to the deadline an offer would be made, but it never happened. (DK had mentioned before on this topic that one of his sources is a close friend or family member of Guentzel's)

He also said while possible and perfectly legal to re-sign Jake this summer, a team source also say with the odd way things transpired with Guentzel, bringing him back this summer may be more difficult. (reading between the lines, Guentzel may harbor some bad feelings from never getting an offer)

DK ended the Penguins portion with this: Mike Sullivan's not in trouble. Copy and paste.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

That's a shame. I guess Dubas wanted to see how the half season played out. Then offer Jake a contract. Local radio guy on the fan got it right. DK or Taylor his source.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

"DK ended the Penguins portion with this: Mike Sullivan's not in trouble. Copy and paste."

This is a dagger.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

From what I remember, Jake's agent was sort of making public statements that Jake was going to get paid. Maybe I am misremembering.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:17 am From what I remember, Jake's agent was sort of making public statements that Jake was going to get paid. Maybe I am misremembering.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:21 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:17 am From what I remember, Jake's agent was sort of making public statements that Jake was going to get paid. Maybe I am misremembering.
Nobody knows what negotiations happened or didn't happen, including DK. Maybe KD didn't like that Jakes agent spouted off to the media like he did? I would gladly take Jake back as a UFA and maybe that still will happen, but I don't like how this team has looked since the trade happened. This team has become way too comfortable from coach out. Sid needs to stop pouting too. If KD has to be the bad cop to end the good old boys country club, I'm all for it.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens recall St Ivany, send back down Shea…
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Per DK's site, Penguins have recalled d-man Jack St. Ivany. Very happy about this, as I want to see if he has the ability to hold down the 3-RD spot next season.

On the flip side...Dubas sure burned through his 4 AHL recalls in the most idiotic way possible. No idea what the point was to bring up Ryan Shea, just to send him back down and recall St. Ivany.

If I'm correct, the Penguins now cannot recall anyone else from the AHL unless under emergency conditions (although, I think there is A CHANCE Puustinen's recall after the deadline may not have counted against the 4).

EDIT: OK, so it looks like Ryan Shea was somehow recalled under Emergency conditions. So Puustinen, Gruden, and St. Ivany are 3 of the 4 allowed recalls. Hoping to see Poulin get one very soon. Puljujarvi can show him the proper nacho eating etiquette.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

ahawk9 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 am "DK ended the Penguins portion with this: Mike Sullivan's not in trouble. Copy and paste."

This is a dagger.
Yeah. I've taken a patient, wait and see attitude with my opinion of Dubas, but if Sullivan is behind the bench next October... I just don't understand how that can be rationalized at this point. Winning in the post season should be the only metric, and for 6 years now, his record there speaks for itself.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:21 am
You know...., I thought it was worse than that but that isnt bad. After reading this a few times, I am beginning to really think the plan is to re-sign him this summer. If Dubas and the agent have a great relationship, maybe it came up in talks before that the Penguins need some youth but would like Jake to be back with the team. Maybe this was the idea all along. I guess we will see how it plays out.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Madden has an article out that the Pens will "likely" make a big play to sign Jake in free agency, but doubts he'll sign.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -stagnate/
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Guinness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:55 am
ahawk9 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 am "DK ended the Penguins portion with this: Mike Sullivan's not in trouble. Copy and paste."

This is a dagger.
Yeah. I've taken a patient, wait and see attitude with my opinion of Dubas, but if Sullivan is behind the bench next October... I just don't understand how that can be rationalized at this point. Winning in the post season should be the only metric, and for 6 years now, his record there speaks for itself.
I could deal with not making the post-season if the results unfolded differently for this team. If this team could put together more than 2 games in a row of looking like a real NHL team, maybe I wouldn't have an issue. This team could go 5-5 over 10 games, but if those 5 loses were against the top teams in the league, or 1-0 defensive showdowns, or the team looked really good and just got outplayed, I could live with that.

But over the past 2 years, the effort from game to game has been downright awful. You can probably count on 1 hand the number of full 60 minute efforts this team has played. You may not have enough fingers and toes to count the games where they look good for a period, then repeatedly make bad pinches, bad reads, poor goaltending, no production beyond the 1st line.

There's nothing that shows that this team has learned from the many mistakes they make game in and game out. And why should they learn, they get a jersey and lineup spot no matter what.