Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by ahawk9 »

Agreed, Pitts. I think he'll be quietly let go after the season, way later than he should have been, but can't do anything about it now. Might as well let him steer the Titanic until the bitter end of this season.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

"They're keeping Sullivan because he's from Boston and they're from Boston too, and Boston is bad!!"
Three Stars wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:58 amNah. Blaming Sullivan for everything has jumped the shark. It’s lazy, overly simplistic, revisionist for the sake of creating a convenient boogeyman, and ignores several other factors that caused this team to do what every other dynastic team has done in the history of hockey…slowly fall apart.

I suspect that’s one of the reasons why he hasn’t been replaced. It’s every Yinzer’s power fantasy to bring in a tough coach to teach those lazy millionaires a thing or two, but that only really works when the lazy millionaires in question are younger and have something to prove.

If there’s a flaw in this beloved core, it’s the tendency to go into a pout when things aren’t going their way. That has led to coaching changes on more than one occasion. The fact that it hasn’t this time around is curious, especially given how bad the power play has been. One could surmise that Dubas is essentially saying to them “I’m not doing it your way this time around. That time is over. Either you listen to the coaches or the team will be disassembled and you can spend the rest of your careers as assistant coaches on bad teams”.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DK on his podcast this morning flat out said that relieving Sullivan of his duties is not KD's call. Now I'm sure he can make a recommendation, but at the end of the day it is up to ownership. DK has also come around to the realization that change is needed.

Seeing how much the ownership/team respects Sully, I wonder if they will work out some type of agreement where it's worded that it's a "mutual parting", as opposed to being fired. Maybe they let Sullivan talk with other teams quietly in the offseason and he can move on.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 am DK on his podcast this morning flat out said that relieving Sullivan of his duties is not KD's call. Now I'm sure he can make a recommendation, but at the end of the day it is up to ownership. DK has also come around to the realization that change is needed.

Seeing how much the ownership/team respects Sully, I wonder if they will work out some type of agreement where it's worded that it's a "mutual parting", as opposed to being fired. Maybe they let Sullivan talk with other teams quietly in the offseason and he can move on.
I still think a big part of the issue (aside from the FSG lovefest), is that Dubas and management still believe that Sullivan is a good coach. And maybe he is, but, he seems to have lost this team. I think there is a fear that "Boy, he may not be the right coach for this team anymore, but he's exactly who we want to coach this team in 2-3 years when full rebuild mode is on."

I think there's a feeling he is the perfect coach for a rebuild, with his systems and such, so they don't want to lose him now even if it isn't working or there is some disconnect between him and the core/players.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:39 am
KG wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 am DK on his podcast this morning flat out said that relieving Sullivan of his duties is not KD's call. Now I'm sure he can make a recommendation, but at the end of the day it is up to ownership. DK has also come around to the realization that change is needed.

I still think a big part of the issue (aside from the FSG lovefest), is that Dubas and management still believe that Sullivan is a good coach. And maybe he is, but, he seems to have lost this team. I think there is a fear that "Boy, he may not be the right coach for this team anymore, but he's exactly who we want to coach this team in 2-3 years when full rebuild mode is on."

I think there's a feeling he is the perfect coach for a rebuild, with his systems and such, so they don't want to lose him now even if it isn't working or there is some disconnect between him and the core/players.
This may be their thinking but then why sign Malkin and Letang to keep the band together?

My growing concern is there does not seem to be any type of master plan here. Feels like a lot of jumbled parts that aren't on the same page on what to do currently or how to move forward.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

maopens wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:49 am

This may be their thinking but then why sign Malkin and Letang to keep the band together?

My growing concern is there does not seem to be any type of master plan here. Feels like a lot of jumbled parts that aren't on the same page on what to do currently or how to move forward.
Did you forget where the master plan is stored? I'll have someone point to where it is located:
Spoiler:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

maopens wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:49 am

Malkin and Letang were not re-signed by the current GM. I think a little more patience is needed here. Dubas hasn't even been on the job for a year yet! And there is a thread on this very board about firing the guy - with actual conversation about that subject! C'mon people! Reel it in a little!
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

The real meat starts around the 4 min. mark. The Sullivan discussion ends around 8:20.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:46 am

The real meat starts around the 4 min. mark. The Sullivan discussion ends around 8:20.
If you prefer to read rather than listen...similar article: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... enators-dk
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

A good summary of Dubas removing almost all traces of Ron Hextall moves, and a bit of criticism for Dubas, too:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/3/12/240 ... ins-roster
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:14 am A good summary of Dubas removing almost all traces of Ron Hextall moves, and a bit of criticism for Dubas, too:

Looking at the roster at the beginning of the year objectively, FSG/KD would say yes this looks like a playoff team on paper. It could use some more scoring on the bottom six, but it should be in the playoffs.

However, basically everyone on the roster (excluding Sid) has had a down year. Add on top of the power play being at an all time record low. To me that's all you need to hear. It's coaching and style of play. The team needs a new coach. There's only so much of a roster that can be turned over, and KD has turned over a lot of it.

Sully is the common denominator. KD made the tough decision on moving Jake, I would think he wouldn't have a problem moving on from Sully if FSG lets him. You can't hire a guy and pay him to be POHO and tell him no, you must keep this head coach. Especially one that hasn't won a playoff round since 2018. That's ridiculous.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Not a fan of moving players from LW to RW unless they are good at it. OC now playing RW, Puustinen now playing LW oh and Puljujarvi out for Carter, naturally.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Drew O'Connor is back in tonight.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Jeezus... I don't know - maybe they can promote him up or something. Does FSG seriously not have anyone on staff who can recognize an NHL coach who still has control of his room? Are we just going to keep doing this for another 8 years?

Give your GM the reins and get out of the way. They're in those positions because they know what they're doing. Let them do it.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:15 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:14 am A good summary of Dubas removing almost all traces of Ron Hextall moves, and a bit of criticism for Dubas, too:

Looking at the roster at the beginning of the year objectively, FSG/KD would say yes this looks like a playoff team on paper. It could use some more scoring on the bottom six, but it should be in the playoffs.

However, basically everyone on the roster (excluding Sid) has had a down year. Add on top of the power play being at an all time record low. To me that's all you need to hear. It's coaching and style of play. The team needs a new coach. There's only so much of a roster that can be turned over, and KD has turned over a lot of it.

Sully is the common denominator. KD made the tough decision on moving Jake, I would think he wouldn't have a problem moving on from Sully if FSG lets him. You can't hire a guy and pay him to be POHO and tell him no, you must keep this head coach. Especially one that hasn't won a playoff round since 2018. That's ridiculous.
Finishing was a massive problem all season. Shots and shot attempts are typically fine, it just hasn't been going in. We could've stayed afloat if it had.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:52 pm
KG wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:15 pm

Finishing was a massive problem all season. Shots and shot attempts are typically fine, it just hasn't been going in. We could've stayed afloat if it had.
Part of the problem is, they fixed the bottom 6 by focusing on defensive forwards. Scoring from the bottom 6 was a problem last year, too. We had Kapanen and McGinn and Carter with long goalless streaks. We got better defensively, but still didn't have nearly enough scoring from the bottom 6.

Overall, our PP is operating at 14.62% (league average is 20.83) and shooting % is 8.5% (league average is 10.1)
Last season, our PP was 21.72%, just over the 21.31 league average. Shooting was 9.3%, still under 10.1% league average.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

That shooting percentage jibes with their propensity to shoot from the perimeter. Although I will say that it seems if there's a hot goalie he seems to play the Pens more often than not. Biased? Yep. But, man, the number of chances that just hit a goalie kill me.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I’m concerned about this Rempe guy playing against the Pens on Saturday. They have no one to fight back.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:05 pm I’m concerned about this Rempe guy playing against the Pens on Saturday. They have no one to fight back.
He has backed off the idiocy of being the agitator. The Devils did everything they could to agitate him last night. He was staying disciplined and then later in game took a 5 major for the flying elbow. Looked borderline suspension worthy.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

pronovost19 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:40 pm
Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:05 pm I’m concerned about this Rempe guy playing against the Pens on Saturday. They have no one to fight back.
He has backed off the idiocy of being the agitator. The Devils did everything they could to agitate him last night. He was staying disciplined and then later in game took a 5 major for the flying elbow. Looked borderline suspension worthy.
Borderline?
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

I guess I was right. He has a hearing.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:58 pm
Borderline?
My inherent facetiousness due to my limited confidence in the player safety office.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Ok, a phone hearing is ridiculous here. Elbows that look like that need to be 10+ and increase every time someone does one. I don’t care if there was internet, no reason to make that play. Even if it’s your first time, start throwing the book at players.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm Ok, a phone hearing is ridiculous here. Elbows that look like that need to be 10+ and increase every time someone does one. I don’t care if there was internet, no reason to make that play. Even if it’s your first time, start throwing the book at players.
Phone hearing means 5 or less correct?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

pronovost19 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:47 pm
DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm Ok, a phone hearing is ridiculous here. Elbows that look like that need to be 10+ and increase every time someone does one. I don’t care if there was internet, no reason to make that play. Even if it’s your first time, start throwing the book at players.
Phone hearing means 5 or less correct?
Yup. When the head of player safety is former goon George Parros....think that is a start of a joke.