Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Antonio »

Skatingpen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:49 pm Random I know, but man is Carolina fun to watch. They play with speed and aggressiveness in all 3 zones. Really suffocating
I remember when that sentence applied to our team.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I forget with all the silly rules and lottery stuff, but couldn't we hypothetically finish low enough to get a top 10 and then win the 1st overall pick?
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

Antonio wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:04 pm I forget with all the silly rules and lottery stuff, but couldn't we hypothetically finish low enough to get a top 10 and then win the 1st overall pick?
Any team in the bottom 11 can win the #1 pick. You can move up a max of 10 slots.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I'm feeling it! Come on baby, daddy needs a new top line talent! Number one pick here we come!
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

BfromD wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:06 pm
Antonio wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:04 pm I forget with all the silly rules and lottery stuff, but couldn't we hypothetically finish low enough to get a top 10 and then win the 1st overall pick?
Any team in the bottom 11 can win the #1 pick. You can move up a max of 10 slots.
We're 25th.

That's a 1st, 8th, 9th or 10th overall pick.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:30 pm
We're 25th.

I think we can do better, or worse, than 8th.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

I think they draw twice and the team selected can move up 10 spots max with each of those two draws. After that, everyone just slots in in the inverse order of regular season finish. So if the Pens are top 10, they could get Pick 1 or 2.

You can reroll the Lottery Sim here to your heart's content while watching them give up SHGs in the coming weeks:

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:26 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:30 pm
We're 25th.

I think we can do better, or worse, than 8th.
Realistically we can get down to 7th or 8th. Beyond that, the other teams are more than double digits below is...low 50s and under. Even losing out we likely won't drop below them.

Let's say we managed to get 7th overall. Celebrini goes first, we're guaranteed to get one of the top 3 wingers or defenseman. That would be nice.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Not making the playoffs.... lose the rest of the games this season. Give yourself the best draft odds.

What a bummer of a year.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

BfromD wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:37 pm I think they draw twice and the team selected can move up 10 spots max with each of those two draws. After that, everyone just slots in in the inverse order of regular season finish. So if the Pens are top 10, they could get Pick 1 or 2.

You can reroll the Lottery Sim here to your heart's content while watching them give up SHGs in the coming weeks:

Thanks for that. I did it 5 times, and the Pens just stayed at 10 every time. It did seem like the order of the bottom 5 flip flopped quite a bit, but there's basically no chance the Pens get that far down.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:57 pm
BfromD wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:37 pm I think they draw twice and the team selected can move up 10 spots max with each of those two draws. After that, everyone just slots in in the inverse order of regular season finish. So if the Pens are top 10, they could get Pick 1 or 2.

Thanks for that. I did it 5 times, and the Pens just stayed at 10 every time. It did seem like the order of the bottom 5 flip flopped quite a bit, but there's basically no chance the Pens get that far down.
I think the Pens would have a 3% chance to get 1st. There's a link at the top of Tankathon that shows you the odds for teams moving up from each spot.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yeah, 3.5% chance to get first. Took me a few spins but I did get 1st pick once. Most rolls were us staying at 10.

maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Spent a little time trying to examine KD's work thus far as the Pens' GM.

First, we have to give him credit for pushing several bad contracts out the door over the summer in the Karlsson deal. That looked like a great start and nobody could really bash him for bringing in a player like Karlsson. (This organization utilizing him properly is another issue and not one for the GM necessarily).

However, as PK Subban said so bluntly today, this organization failed in putting together a team around an aging generational/all-time talent. So where and how did KD/the Pens/"we" fail?

With the benefit of hindsight, KD's plan to build a bottom 6 with players over 30 looks like a very bad decision.Clearly, it did not work but why did they think it would work?

Nieto, Acciari, Eller, even Reilly Smith - all on the wrong side of 30 when players decline, and average players decline more steeply.

Eller played as well (or better) that I expected this season so he was a plus. But Smith, Nieto and Acciari gave his team less than what was expected. Some significantly less.

The other plan appeared to be to scour the waiver wire for castoffs. Harkins was a empty uniform all season. Phillips was an April Fool's joke come early.

I'm no hockey GM but it seems like putting some younger legs, some hungry youth in the bottom 6 is and has always been the better plan. Puusinen has shown something this year when finally given a chance. DOC has made significant strides with full-time minutes. I like the idea of a Bemstrom - give the kid a bunch of minutes in these final 20 games and see if he continues to show something. He's not afraid to shoot which is a needed quality on this roster.

When you rebuild half of your forward roster with guys on the wrong side of 30, you are accepting anticipated decline in the bottom 6 over the course of a season and the year following. We've all witnessed it with Jeff Carter's time in Pittsburgh.

"We need to get younger" should have been the idea last summer. Hopefully, this off-season will be spent moving out most of the pieces KD brough in last summer. The core is old. They don't need to be surrounded by old guys.

Rant over. Goodnight.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

I think the first order of business for Kyle Dubass is to perform the job that he was hired for: president of hockey operations. Easy to forget that is how he was introduced in the media.

In order to do that, he needs to hire a competent General Manager. His immaturity to think that he can do both is a glaring failure on his part. Narcisista.

If he wants to do GM duties, then go to FSG and let them know that he wants to forgo the Big Boss Man duties so that he can wheel and deal roster moves. FSG has money to pay POHOKD and a competent GM.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

BigMcK wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:57 am I think the first order of business for Kyle Dubass is to perform the job that he was hired for: president of hockey operations. Easy to forget that is how he was introduced in the media.

In order to do that, he needs to hire a competent General Manager. His immaturity to think that he can do both is a glaring failure on his part. Narcisista.

If he wants to do GM duties, then go to FSG and let them know that he wants to forgo the Big Boss Man duties so that he can wheel and deal roster moves. FSG has money to pay POHOKD and a competent GM.
I haven't read the job description for GM or POHO, but I have a sense that there really isn't too much space between the requirements of either job. It's not too too unusual for those roles to be filled by the same person.

I'm not ready to pass judgment on KD yet. He's stuck right now with last year's contracts, NMC's./NTC's and last summer's batch of free agents. I thought he did a good job last summer, given what the market was.... Acciari was a good signing. Graves SHOULD have been. the Karlsson trade was *chef's kiss* and frankly anyone who'd complain about doing what he did to acquire one of the most dynamic defensemen to ever play the game should probably get checked for head trauma.

I've said before and I'm gonna say it again - I'm not really gonna judge KD until next trade deadline.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

For the record I don’t think they will give up this years 1st but I stand by that they should. Next years draft being deeper has no factor in my opinion, which is solely based where I think this team will finish next season. They are a great bet to finish in the bottom 5.

I am really worried they disagree and will try their best to drastically improve the club next season, which as usual, will see them trading futures. They should be looking at stockpiling picks for the next 2-3 drafts and starting to build.

For next year, if you can bring in some older more nhl ready players for some of the guys we couldn’t move at the deadline, go for it. But I am sure they are delusional in thinking they can turn things around next season.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I wasnt for Smith - Zucker swap and it proved to be bad move.. but I liked the additions of Eller, Acciari and Nieto.. Eller was especially good, Acciari would be also much better if used properly,as checking winger, not f....shutdown center all season to accomodate Carter.
Nieto wasnt that bad either, he did what was kinda expected 4th line winger and sadly got injured quickly.

Smith and Graves were biggest mistakes, but who would thought Graves will be the most horrible Dman of maybe last decade 🤣 with how he played for Devils.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Guinness wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:49 am
BigMcK wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:57 am I think the first order of business for Kyle Dubass is to perform the job that he was hired for: president of hockey operations. Easy to forget that is how he was introduced in the media.

I haven't read the job description for GM or POHO, but I have a sense that there really isn't too much space between the requirements of either job. It's not too too unusual for those roles to be filled by the same person.

I'm not ready to pass judgment on KD yet. He's stuck right now with last year's contracts, NMC's./NTC's and last summer's batch of free agents. I thought he did a good job last summer, given what the market was.... Acciari was a good signing. Graves SHOULD have been. the Karlsson trade was *chef's kiss* and frankly anyone who'd complain about doing what he did to acquire one of the most dynamic defensemen to ever play the game should probably get checked for head trauma.

I've said before and I'm gonna say it again - I'm not really gonna judge KD until next trade deadline.
I agree with the bulk of this with the glaring exception is that Sullivan should have been fired in November at the latest. To me, it's off the charts level incompetence, so it clouds the issue a bit. I'm a nobody in the pro hockey world and somehow I saw he needed to be gone 5 years ago and now everyone else on earth sees except KD? I can't quite grasp the issue there. Otherwise, yeah I agree with the statements about the trades and signings. I think replacing Sullivan might (MIGHT) have saved this season early on but we'll never know... and by save I mean actually squeeze into the playoffs, as I think that's the ceiling this team had. It is what it is now though.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

I think the team is way beyond the point where a coaching change will give anything more than a dead cat bounce. If they aren’t listening to Sullivan and are choosing to act like this board after most losses, what makes you think that a new coach will have them seeing the error of their ways?

The one major flaw of this iteration of the penguins is a tendency to mentally meltdown in the clutch. It’s happened at least a half dozen times that I can think of off the top of my head.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

maopens wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:38 am Spent a little time trying to examine KD's work thus far as the Pens' GM.

First, we have to give him credit for pushing several bad contracts out the door over the summer in the Karlsson deal. That looked like a great start and nobody could really bash him for bringing in a player like Karlsson. (This organization utilizing him properly is another issue and not one for the GM necessarily).

However, as PK Subban said so bluntly today, this organization failed in putting together a team around an aging generational/all-time talent. So where and how did KD/the Pens/"we" fail?

With the benefit of hindsight, KD's plan to build a bottom 6 with players over 30 looks like a very bad decision.Clearly, it did not work but why did they think it would work?

Nieto, Acciari, Eller, even Reilly Smith - all on the wrong side of 30 when players decline, and average players decline more steeply.

Eller played as well (or better) that I expected this season so he was a plus. But Smith, Nieto and Acciari gave his team less than what was expected. Some significantly less.

The other plan appeared to be to scour the waiver wire for castoffs. Harkins was a empty uniform all season. Phillips was an April Fool's joke come early.

I'm no hockey GM but it seems like putting some younger legs, some hungry youth in the bottom 6 is and has always been the better plan. Puusinen has shown something this year when finally given a chance. DOC has made significant strides with full-time minutes. I like the idea of a Bemstrom - give the kid a bunch of minutes in these final 20 games and see if he continues to show something. He's not afraid to shoot which is a needed quality on this roster.

When you rebuild half of your forward roster with guys on the wrong side of 30, you are accepting anticipated decline in the bottom 6 over the course of a season and the year following. We've all witnessed it with Jeff Carter's time in Pittsburgh.

"We need to get younger" should have been the idea last summer. Hopefully, this off-season will be spent moving out most of the pieces KD brough in last summer. The core is old. They don't need to be surrounded by old guys.

Rant over. Goodnight.
One problem: You need cap space. Pen's had none and still have none. So KD's hands have been tied since he took the job. He still has a huge mess to undo.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Three Stars wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 pm I think the team is way beyond the point where a coaching change will give anything more than a dead cat bounce. If they aren’t listening to Sullivan and are choosing to act like this board after most losses, what makes you think that a new coach will have them seeing the error of their ways?

The one major flaw of this iteration of the penguins is a tendency to mentally meltdown in the clutch. It’s happened at least a half dozen times that I can think of off the top of my head.
Act like this board after most losses? Explain.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

pronovost19 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:40 am
Three Stars wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 pm I think the team is way beyond the point where a coaching change will give anything more than a dead cat bounce. If they aren’t listening to Sullivan and are choosing to act like this board after most losses, what makes you think that a new coach will have them seeing the error of their ways?

Pouting, whining, perseverating about pet topics and axes to grind.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Three Stars wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:44 am
pronovost19 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:40 am

Pouting, whining, perseverating about pet topics and axes to grind.
Ok fair enough.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Blysma-Sullivan, turns those L's upside-down when hired.

Thank you steelers, taking glare off of the pens.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

I’m more than a little concerned about Sid burning himself out (and subsequently to ash) in an effort to will the team to something resembling success. He looked tired last year, and the same thing has happened this year.