Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by dark_forces »

An early offseason question.
Out of our pending UFAs, Nedeljkovic is only one I'd consider resigning. The question is—do they?
Otherwise, Carter is gone, Harkins is most assuredly gone.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

dark_forces wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:45 pm An early offseason question.
Out of our pending UFAs, Nedeljkovic is only one I'd consider resigning. The question is—do they?
I think the Pens would want Ned back but I don’t know if we can afford him. And then you have the issue with Blomqvist, does he need one more year of getting 60+ games in the AHL or does he need NHL games as a backup to progress?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DelPen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:11 pm Looks like Puustinen was NOT sent to WBS just to be called back up tomorrow burning one of the call ups. Makes sense but still surprised. So his season is done when our is even if WBS makes the playoffs.
And nevermind, he was sent down earlier before Gruden and Koppanen and wasn’t included in their release.

We have 11 forwards not on IR and that includes DOC, Rust and Harkins on regular IR, Rust was full contact today at practice so I expect him to play so Puustinen might not get called up unless DOC is still out, and then need Harkins to go on LTIR then to have an extra defenseman that will probably be Shea which ability wise he’s better than Graves so that’s fine.

If Nieto is ever healthy, we will need to clear space again which will mean Puustinen is back to WBS again.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:32 pm
I think the Pens would want Ned back but I don’t know if we can afford him. And then you have the issue with Blomqvist, does he need one more year of getting 60+ games in the AHL or does he need NHL games as a backup to progress?
My understanding of the "initial" plans for Blomqvist were as follows:
1. Bring him to US this year
2. Have him split starts with Hellberg to get accustomed
3. Likely be the starter in WBS next season

My understanding of where Blomqvist is
1. Pushed Hellberg out as the starter by mid-season
2. Made the AHL All-Star game
3. 3rd in GAA, 5th in SV%, 8th in wins (his numbers are better than the best goalie prospect in the league Yaroslav Askarov)

Hellberg was traded, so Blomqvist will continue to get the bulk of the starts. I think if Blomqvist continues his strong play, they may let him backup next year...unless they think there is still something to work on fundamentally.

I would call up Blomqvist near the end of the year and get him in 1 or 2 NHL games near the end of the season. See how he does. But it appear he is ahead of schedule. Trading Jarry over the summer and going with a Ned/Blomqvist tandem would be interesting. I think more likely, they consider trading Jarry in the summer of 2025.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Can I abstain from answering any questions until the off-season occurs?

In all honesty, after having just taken a mega dose of 'insiders with the most updated information', I refuse to jump into the hot tub of bullsheet. Due to the interwebs, and unlimited keyboard junkies, I am burned out from over speculation of hope.

If this new GM wants to address ultimate failure at the coaching level, I'll comment then. If not, chalk it up to another year lost of the core.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I really hope Poulin is finally called up now.. I would go with :
Bunting - Crosby - Rakell
Smith - Malkin - Puustinen
Poulin - Eller - Bemstrom
Puljujarvi - Carter - Acciari
DOC is still out with concussion I think.. if Rusty is back, then he is with Sid of course, Rakell goes to Geno, Pusty to 3rd line, Poulin to 4th..
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Everyone remember that we only get four regular recalls after the trade deadline. Emergency recalls don’t count so that’s the only way I see Blomqvist getting NHL time is if Ned or Jarry can’t play.

Cap Friendly is listing Puustinen as one of the 4 already. If Rust isn’t ready then we would see an emergency recall to not use up a space since we wouldn’t have enough players seeing as we only have 6 defensemen on the roster and 11 forwards if DOC is also still out.

Another problem is we only have $75,000 in cap space but that’s before putting Harkins on LTIR. And eventually that space will be used up by a defenseman to carry 7 and it will either be Shea or Oullet to give him some NHL money.

This makes retaining salary on Guentzel that more frustrating and it’s even more annoying since they have $3 million in cap space after the deadline. Someone didn’t do the math that we would have the same problems we had to start the year. It would be great to play some younger players but we can’t even call them up if there weren’t even limits.

And then we have to clear a roster spot and cap space when Nieto ever comes off LTIR. Any bets it will be Puustinen again treated like a yo-yo?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

This is also why I wanted Carter gone even with retaining 50%. It would have freed up another $1.625 million in cap space. That’s two players worth of cap space.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:22 am This is also why I wanted Carter gone even with retaining 50%. It would have freed up another $1.625 million in cap space. That’s two players worth of cap space.
This is why I was pushing a Carter trade
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:18 am Everyone remember that we only get four regular recalls after the trade deadline. Emergency recalls don’t count so that’s the only way I see Blomqvist getting NHL time is if Ned or Jarry can’t play.

Cap Friendly is listing Puustinen as one of the 4 already. If Rust isn’t ready then we would see an emergency recall to not use up a space since we wouldn’t have enough players seeing as we only have 6 defensemen on the roster and 11 forwards if DOC is also still out.

Another problem is we only have $75,000 in cap space but that’s before putting Harkins on LTIR. And eventually that space will be used up by a defenseman to carry 7 and it will either be Shea or Oullet to give him some NHL money.

This makes retaining salary on Guentzel that more frustrating and it’s even more annoying since they have $3 million in cap space after the deadline. Someone didn’t do the math that we would have the same problems we had to start the year. It would be great to play some younger players but we can’t even call them up if there weren’t even limits.

And then we have to clear a roster spot and cap space when Nieto ever comes off LTIR. Any bets it will be Puustinen again treated like a yo-yo?
GMKD isn't working on this year. The more this team loses at this point, the better it is for the long term health of the team. I can only hope that's how he's looking at it, because I can't see any other way at this point.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

This 1st round pick situation with the Pens/Sharks Karlsson trade is an interesting scenario. If the pick is in the top 10, the Pens keep it and the Sharks get their 25 1st with no conditions.

If we finish with the 11th or higher overall pick that would go to the Sharks this year. Real curious to see how this all plays out. If they lose you want them to get into the top 10 this year, but if they win, you want them to win enough to make the pick less hurtful to give SJ.

I guess if the plan is to re-tool and be better next year, and not rebuild and suck yet, then we should get into the top 10 this year and hope to make the playoffs next year and give the Sharks a pick in the low 20's.

I was surprised KD didn't get a 1st round pick from the Jake trade knowing we have to give a 1st up from the EK trade. Maybe that's part of his summer plan. We'll see.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

That was great hearing and watching Sully between periods today in Canes - Devils game with the "stay in the moment" stuff and then get praised by the Messier and Subban. :face:
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

offsides wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:44 pm That was great hearing and watching Sully between periods today in Canes - Devils game with the "stay in the moment" stuff and then get praised by the Messier and Subban. :face:
He talks a great game…too bad his players don’t listen or tune him out
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Ericf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:51 pm
offsides wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:44 pm That was great hearing and watching Sully between periods today in Canes - Devils game with the "stay in the moment" stuff and then get praised by the Messier and Subban. :face:
I still believe they have been doing exactly what he wants them to do and his strategy doesn't work in 2024 and it hasn't worked since 2017.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:01 am This 1st round pick situation with the Pens/Sharks Karlsson trade is an interesting scenario. If the pick is in the top 10, the Pens keep it and the Sharks get their 25 1st with no conditions.

If we finish with the 11th or higher overall pick that would go to the Sharks this year. Real curious to see how this all plays out. If they lose you want them to get into the top 10 this year, but if they win, you want them to win enough to make the pick less hurtful to give SJ.
Does a top 10 pick in 24 automatically stay with the Pens - or do the Pens have the option of keeping it or giving it up in that scenario?

I'm not advocating for them giving up a top 10 pick this year or anything; I'm just curious. I've read that the 25 draft is a "better class" but don't know if that means "deeper" (where a pick in the 14-25 range is more likely to yield a difference maker) or what.

Regardless or being able to choose or not, I'd have to think the Pens would keep a top 10 if that's where they land this year, both to get someone presumably a year closer to being NHL-ready and also so Daddy Bettman can Patrick Ewing the lottery and gift them Celebrini. :)
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:10 pm
Ericf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:51 pm
I still believe they have been doing exactly what he wants them to do and his strategy doesn't work in 2024 and it hasn't worked since 2017.
That’s likely true, probably more than tuning him out
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BfromD wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:12 pm
KG wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:01 am This 1st round pick situation with the Pens/Sharks Karlsson trade is an interesting scenario. If the pick is in the top 10, the Pens keep it and the Sharks get their 25 1st with no conditions.

Does a top 10 pick in 24 automatically stay with the Pens - or do the Pens have the option of keeping it or giving it up in that scenario?

I'm not advocating for them giving up a top 10 pick this year or anything; I'm just curious. I've read that the 25 draft is a "better class" but don't know if that means "deeper" (where a pick in the 14-25 range is more likely to yield a difference maker) or what.

Regardless or being able to choose or not, I'd have to think the Pens would keep a top 10 if that's where they land this year, both to get someone presumably a year closer to being NHL-ready and also so Daddy Bettman can Patrick Ewing the lottery and gift them Celebrini. :)
The conditions just say top 10 protected, so I would assume if they finish in the top 10 picks, they are automatically giving SJ next year's pick.

From what I have been told, this is a weak draft after say, pick 20-25. So if we have a top 10 pick, there's no reason we should dump it just because it's a weaker draft. My understanding is it is weaker beyond pick 20-25.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:27 pm

The conditions just say top 10 protected, so I would assume if they finish in the top 10 picks, they are automatically giving SJ next year's pick.

From what I have been told, this is a weak draft after say, pick 20-25. So if we have a top 10 pick, there's no reason we should dump it just because it's a weaker draft. My understanding is it is weaker beyond pick 20-25.
Doesn’t it depend what they think of next year’s draft? Also, who the Pens believe are elite talents in this draft. If they think there’s only three special players, for example, then may be they should trade the pick if they don’t get into the top three in the draft lottery
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:31 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:27 pm

Doesn’t it depend what they think of next year’s draft? Also, who the Pens believe are elite talents in this draft. If they think there’s only three special players, for example, then may be they should trade the pick if they don’t get into the top three in the draft lottery
It's hard to tell with the conditions. We only get the information the team/league releases. Maybe they have the decision, maybe they don't. Only way it is listed is top 10 protected.

I don't see any chance that Dubas gives up that pick if they finish in the top 10 picks. Only in the deepest of deep drafts do you see maybe more than 3-5 guys who are probably near-guaranteed elite level players. This year Macklin Celebrini is the clear cut #1 pick. It would be a shock for anyone else to go.

As I said above, I think the top end, picks 2-20/25ish are probably on par with other years. It would be crazy to give up a pick in the top 10 this year just because you THINK next' year's draft may be deeper AND you think you may finish in the bottom 10 of the league again.

Take the pick this year if it's bottom 10, no doubt about it.

EDIT: Also, there's a chance the Penguins could have a top 10 pick and then another 1st either 31st or 32nd overall (the Carolina pick). Keep the lottery pick, and see if you can make a draft day trade using that late 1st rounder and a prospect to get a young NHLer to insert into the lineup.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

From what I’ve read, the Pens have the option to keep the pick if it lands in the top 10, otherwise it belongs to the Sharks
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Random I know, but man is Carolina fun to watch. They play with speed and aggressiveness in all 3 zones. Really suffocating
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Ericf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:46 pm From what I’ve read, the Pens have the option to keep the pick if it lands in the top 10, otherwise it belongs to the Sharks
This is accurate. My only question is when do we need to decide because I would really like to see who would be available when we could pick before making a choice. Unless we pick say #8 and there are 8 really good players we can’t miss on and don’t need to rely on players falling to us.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

All of this begs the additional question whether the deadline for the Pens to decide to keep the pick or give it to SJS is before or after the draft lottery. All things equal, I couldn't see them handing over a Top 10 pick in any circumstances, but such are the things to ponder when they team is painfully playing out the string of 20 or so games before it's tee time. :/
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BfromD wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:29 pm All of this begs the additional question whether the deadline for the Pens to decide to keep the pick or give it to SJS is before or after the draft lottery. All things equal, I couldn't see them handing over a Top 10 pick in any circumstances, but such are the things to ponder when they team is painfully playing out the string of 20 or so games before it's tee time. :/
I doubt they need to do it before the draft lottery. I really don't know when the deadline is. Good question for me to find out.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

people really need to understand the call up rules and our cap situation before talking about players in WBS who should be playing right now.