2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Three Stars »

Oh my gosh you guys, they haven’t announced the trade yet, so clearly they don’t want us to know the trade and are trying to keep it a secret because it’s so bad. Sullivan is preventing them from announcing the trade because he only likes older trades and will never announce one that’s this young. I also heard rumors that Bunting wears Flyers and Caps pajamas and once said something bad about Ron Francis.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Per Seravalli:

There is no contract extension in the works for Jake Guentzel after this trade is executed between #Canes and #pens.

No permission was granted prior to the deal; Carolina hopeful to get him in and acquainted and then begin conversations.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Duclair and 2025 7th to Tampa for 2024 3rd and prospect Jack Thompson
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

The locker room is a funeral right now. Geeesh! Seeing these interviews, this is not a team upset with losing a game they are upset with losing Jake. The rest of this season is going to be brutal to watch.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:32 pm The locker room is a funeral right now. Geeesh! Seeing these interviews, this is not a team upset with losing a game they are upset with losing Jake. The rest of this season is going to be brutal to watch.
Thought the same. Sullivan was borderline in tears talking about Jake. I mean come on guys. This should not come as a surprise. They've been mediocre for too long.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ha. Another local media guy saying, meh, the return is pretty good. lol
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:32 pm The locker room is a funeral right now. Geeesh! Seeing these interviews, this is not a team upset with losing a game they are upset with losing Jake. The rest of this season is going to be brutal to watch.
Thought the same. Sullivan was borderline in tears talking about Jake. I mean come on guys. This should not come as a surprise. They've been mediocre for too long.
I know I shouldn’t be saying this, since I love the pens but man, sports betting is legal in NC soon… and if this sense we have is true, maybe Vegas odds haven’t picked up on the funeral vibe yet! Boston is a rough one!
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:35 pm

Ha. Another local media guy saying, meh, the return is pretty good. lol
Any word on if we're getting the next Ron Francis?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 pm
Yep, this is on those players who all crapped the bed all season. They are to blame for their situation.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

What an absolute disaster of a deal. My rule number one is you never opt for quantity over quality. Essentially he got a serviceable NHL player and three trinkets for Jake. Didn't even get a first rounder. But, hey, the Canes sweetened the pot with one of his "boys," and that was all it took. Hell, they'd be better off claiming the three guys Carolina waived yesterday. This one gets an absolute F- and falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category. We thought Burxtall was bad...
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Does anyone know or read anything regarding Jake’s contract demands? All I’ve seen is speculation and no numbers, term, etc.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Mad City Mike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:44 am What an absolute disaster of a deal. My rule number one is you never opt for quantity over quality. Essentially he got a serviceable NHL player and three trinkets for Jake. Didn't even get a first rounder. But, hey, the Canes sweetened the pot with one of his "boys," and that was all it took. Hell, they'd be better off claiming the three guys Carolina waived yesterday. This one gets an absolute F- and falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category. We thought Burxtall was bad...
Read about Pure Rentals 101 here:

viewtopic.php?p=3297215#p3297215

Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Mad City Mike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:44 am What an absolute disaster of a deal. My rule number one is you never opt for quantity over quality. Essentially he got a serviceable NHL player and three trinkets for Jake. Didn't even get a first rounder. But, hey, the Canes sweetened the pot with one of his "boys," and that was all it took. Hell, they'd be better off claiming the three guys Carolina waived yesterday. This one gets an absolute F- and falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category. We thought Burxtall was bad...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I expect one more deal with salary retention. Either Carter with 50% washed through another team for them to also retain 50% to go to LA and we get nothing in return aside from clearing about $1.5 millions which opens a roster spot to bring Puustinen back up after him, Gruden and Koppanen are sent down for AHL rosters and also because that’s the only way to easily get cap complaint today.

I could also see Smith back to Vegas with 50% retained which solved more cap issues now but puts $2.5 million dead money for next year and Vegas would need to pay dearly for that.

Other than that, maybe Chad for a late pick but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the plans for next year again and an extension wouldn’t shock me instead of a trade.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

DelPen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:10 am I expect one more deal with salary retention. Either Carter with 50% washed through another team for them to also retain 50% to go to LA and we get nothing in return aside from clearing about $1.5 millions which opens a roster spot to bring Puustinen back up after him, Gruden and Koppanen are sent down for AHL rosters and also because that’s the only way to easily get cap complaint today.

I could also see Smith back to Vegas with 50% retained which solved more cap issues now but puts $2.5 million dead money for next year and Vegas would need to pay dearly for that.

Other than that, maybe Chad for a late pick but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the plans for next year again and an extension wouldn’t shock me instead of a trade.
Yea. If there is one piece of the Jake trade that I wish didn't happen it is the 25% retention. We lose one of the 3 and we already were using one. It scares me to think Dubas is not really into the full rebuilding thing yet. I hope I am wrong, but we need to be sellers.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

DelPen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:10 am I expect one more deal with salary retention. Either Carter with 50% washed through another team for them to also retain 50% to go to LA and we get nothing in return aside from clearing about $1.5 millions which opens a roster spot to bring Puustinen back up after him, Gruden and Koppanen are sent down for AHL rosters and also because that’s the only way to easily get cap complaint today.

I hope you are miserably incorrect. I want the house torn down to the studs at this point. Malkin, Letang, EK, Rakell, Smith, Rust, Jarry, Ned…..and even Crosby if it will allow him to raise the cup again.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

Mad City Mike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:56 am
Nice rant and wine. I’m a huge Jake fan. But show me a top tier rental that has gotten more - I’ll wait.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

any streaming services available for the trade desk guys?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

This is quite the overreaction.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Kingerski saying Eller is drawing interest from contending teams.

Move him. Pick/prospect = cap space. Do the same for Acciari and Ned or Jarry. Or both.

Hopefully we see several moves today and bringing in some picks prospects etc
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:01 am Kingerski saying Eller is drawing interest from contending teams.

Move him. Pick/prospect = cap space. Do the same for Acciari and Ned or Jarry. Or both.

I'm hoping for a very active day by the Pens. We know for sure they need to make at least 1 - 2 other moves to get cap compliant.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 am
KG wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:01 am Kingerski saying Eller is drawing interest from contending teams.

I'm hoping for a very active day by the Pens. We know for sure they need to make at least 1 - 2 other moves to get cap compliant.
They will get compliant by sending the AHL guys with Puustinen down to WBS for their roster eligibility but to bring any of them up some move needs to be made and then we only get a certain number of call ups so even if we weren’t hot trash we are going to have roster issues the rest of the season.

Hoping Harkins is sent down and stays there so Puustinen can be recalled but that’s not something either Dubas or Sullivan seem to support based on how they have managed this roster all season.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I know we're all down on Harkins, but I think it's warranted. This team is desperate for goals. I know the fourth line isn't supposed to be a goal juggernaut, but sheesh, how about more than 0 goals in 43 games. He just isn't an NHL-calbre player, bless his heart... :)
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Carter is the guy I'd like to move. Retain 50 percent and get a pick.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

thehockeyguru wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:34 am

Carter is the guy I'd like to move. Retain 50 percent and get a pick.
I forget about him. Wonder if Carter even has any interest.