2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:29 pm
KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:25 pm
My beef is Bunting should have been signed this past off-season instead of trading for Riley Smith.
It’s not that simple. If I’m Bunting I’m picking to play for a cup contender like Carolina, not signing with the Pens.

I actually like Bunting. He has skill and plays with some snarl. But I just want him to be a small part of the deal.
That very well may have been the case that he would have picked Carolina over Pittsburgh but Dubas traded for Smith before free agency started. The bad is rapidly outweighing the good for Dubas
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Someone on a different site said that it may be that they are delaying the trade announcement because of Ned also being involved and the Pens didn’t have a backup goalie for tonight’s game.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by NJ5934 »

I would listen to any trade offer for anyone not Crosby or Letang. There is no middle ground anymore.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

NJ5934 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 pm I would listen to any trade offer for anyone not Crosby or Letang. There is no middle ground anymore.
Gonna have to get busy. Trade deadline tomorrow.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

NJ5934 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 pm I would listen to any trade offer for anyone not Crosby or Letang. There is no middle ground anymore.
I would trade Letang for a used jock strap
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Hopefully this doesn't get ugly. If the Pens don't get a decent return, then all of these "insiders" should really get called out. Rumor mongers.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

As expected…our front office and coaching staff are jokes

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
San Jose is trading Anthony Duclair to Tampa. A young defenceman is going back to the Sharks.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Is it me or does it seem like whenever we trade for the “big name” in previous years, we always seemed to give a ton up? I look at the brassard trade. I think we gave up our first, Gustavsson, Ian Cole, and a 3rd if I’m not mistaken. If we didn’t get a haul for Jake then it’s a clear failure on our front office.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/03/ ... ins-nhl-dk

DK saying he thinks Scott Morrow, could be in the deal as well.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I like how Rossi is acting like he knows the return.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:18 pm

Yea. What’s the point of secrecy from his jobs perspective. Isn’t he a reporter. Tell us what you are hearing idiot.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:05 pm https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/03/ ... ins-nhl-dk

Well FWIW

Scott Morrow was ranked 54th by the Athletic

One of the most productive freshman defensemen in college hockey two seasons ago, the Minutemen’s leading scorer as a sophomore last year, and a point per game defenseman as a junior while, most importantly, playing better defensively in huge minutes (nearly 25 a night), Morrow is a real talent who made the jump from high school hockey directly into the NCAA look easy from a skill standpoint (he has had to do some maturing/growing up on and off the ice).

He’s an excellent transition defender who transports pucks confidently, plays boldly inside the offensive zone and possesses impressive handling skill for a defenseman. He’s an exit/entry machine who carves teams up through the neutral zone with head fakes, side steps and cuts (his skating impresses on its edges, even if he’s not explosive). When he’s on the ice, he wants to take over and direct play in possession and does so by guiding opposing players out of his way. On top of all that, he’s a 6-foot-2 righty whose game defensively has taken important steps to cut back on mistakes, stay in better positioning and eliminate some of the bad habits that concerned scouts. There’s real top-four upside to Morrow if he continues to round out his game. UMass has a great track record developing top defensemen, too.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

There are some smart people on other boards saying that morrow is a kid who has refused to sign with the hurricanes the past two seasons and may be choosing to play out his college career and then go UFA. I have no idea if that is accurate.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I guess we should expect a similar package like Calgary got for Lindholm. They got Kuzmenko, good prospect, middle prospect, 1st round pick and conditional 4th.

Bunting = Kuzmenko, Morrow = good prospect....go from there. Hopefully we get a 1st round pick back.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:51 pm I guess we should expect a similar package like Calgary got for Lindholm. They got Kuzmenko, good prospect, middle prospect, 1st round pick and conditional 4th.

Bunting = Kuzmenko, Morrow = good prospect....go from there. Hopefully we get a 1st round pick back.
Smart. I like it. (The thinking not the potential pieces)
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:53 pm
KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:51 pm I guess we should expect a similar package like Calgary got for Lindholm. They got Kuzmenko, good prospect, middle prospect, 1st round pick and conditional 4th.

Smart. I like it. (The thinking not the potential pieces)
I fear Ned goes too and all we get is Bunting and Morrow and no picks.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:05 pm https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/03/ ... ins-nhl-dk

So they're getting an unsigned prospect?
Hmmm
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

BurghThing wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:54 pm
I would trade Letang for a used jock strap
LOL! Dumb statements are dumb...
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:30 pm

Yea. What’s the point of secrecy from his jobs perspective. Isn’t he a reporter. Tell us what you are hearing idiot.
Bunting isn't much of a return so if he's the center piece then the trade is business as usual for this franchise. I doubt that he is but Rossi might be trying to sell horse crap as gold.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Maestro wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 pm

Hmmm
He plays in college so by definition he's unsigned.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

pens_CT wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:03 pm
Maestro wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 pm

Hmmm
He plays in college so by definition he's unsigned.
In all fairness, Carolina's getting an unsigned NHL player. :fist:
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:02 pm

Bunting isn't much of a return so if he's the center piece then the trade is business as usual for this franchise. I doubt that he is but Rossi might be trying to sell horse crap as gold.
So we’re complaining as if Bunting is the centerpiece of the trade even though there’s evidence that he isn’t, and we’re complaining that even if he isn’t the centerpiece, the trade will be bad no matter what because a franchise exiting 20 years of competitiveness is a bad franchise.

Really covering all the complaining bases there. Well done.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

The Pens season is done. There has been plenty of opportunity to resign him, but for whatever reason that has not happened.

At this point, *any* return for Jake is better for the team than letting him walk for nothing. Him being on the roster for the rest of the season adds nothing. Trading him does not affect their ability to resign him in the offseason any more than keeping him.

A fourth round pick and a bag of practice pucks gets the team more than finishing the season with him on the roster and signing elsewhere in the offseason for nothing. Does it suck? Yes. But the situation has already played out, and they need to get something at this point.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:09 pm
Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:02 pm

So we’re complaining as if Bunting is the centerpiece of the trade even though there’s evidence that he isn’t, and we’re complaining that even if he isn’t the centerpiece, the trade will be bad no matter what because a franchise exiting 20 years of competitiveness is a bad franchise.

Really covering all the complaining bases there. Well done.
You have a message board on the internet, and you expect something positive to come from it 😁